Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

If you can ignore the colour, what do you think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the colour is lovely!

but I'd only pay that sort of price if the NCT was new

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Looks good.
    Its basically a VW polo with a different body shell so it should be reliable enough if its been properly maintained.
    Obviously get it checked by a mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

peasant wrote: »
    the colour is lovely!

but I'd only pay that sort of price if the NCT was new

Thanks Peasant (again). What would you offer, assuming mechanic gives it the okay? €1500?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Great color. It could save your life as its so visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

dude the colour, wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Colour suits the car imo but that kind of money for a 10 year old car, ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Soccertainer

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1168012

100k miles

Good, bad, despite the colour? :D

Opinions really appreciated.
    but surely you couldn't ignore the colour? Disaster...

Overature wrote: »
    dude the colour, wtf?

Well I ain't a dude, so that might help me get away with it.. :D

Still bad though, to be fair.

thebanana wrote: »

Suggestions - please? :)

Budget €1500

I have a 97 Corsa that I love, but exhaust and head gasket have given up the ghost.

I also have 02 Siecento which I crashed.

So neither of them are worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The colour is fine, I'd rather have that than a boring silver car again :)

I hear a lot about dodgy 1.4 engines in Golfs and Boras, don't some of these have the same engine? I believe there's 60 PS 8 valve and 75 and 101 PS 16 valve, but don't know what's good and what was available here...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

you would say that with your username :D

you can/should get it for a lot less.. id say you can get it under 1500

The colour is fine, I'd rather have that than a boring silver car again :)

I hear a lot about dodgy 1.4 engines in Golfs and Boras, don't some of these have the same engine? I believe there's 60 PS 8 valve and 75 and 101 PS 16 valve, but don't know what's good and what was available here...

Good point actually. I wouldn't want the 8 valve engine. Its been around for a long time.

For 1500 I would be going for something like this with a long NCT, serviced, 4 new tyres + ultra reliable.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1154062

oxegen85 wrote: »
    you would say that with your username :D

/awaits main account password since the hack.

For 1500 I would be going for something like this with a long NCT, serviced, 4 new tyres + ultra reliable.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1154062

I want ALL THAT but with 4 doors. I have a child and cba with lifting seats up and down.

Good point actually. I wouldn't want the 8 valve engine. Its been around for a long time.

No idea what any of that means, but it's put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Suggestions - please? :)

Budget €1500

What are your requirements? Do you need four doors? Do you need room for the golf clubs etc. etc. etc.

Edit: Way too late in posting there, ignore for the time being, LOl.

No idea what any of that means, but it's put me off.

Thats just my personal preference, im sure the 8v engine is fine but it would have to be the 16 valve version for me.

A 16 valve engine is an engine with 4 cylinders (the piston assemble travels up & down these cylinders) each cylinder has 4 valves positioned at the top, two valves provide air & fuel & the other two dump exhaust gases. Thats a fairly rough explanation.:)

What are your requirements? Do you need four doors? Do you need room for the golf clubs etc. etc. etc.

Edit: Way too late in posting there, ignore for the time being, LOl.

4/5 doors (have child)

no golf clubs/buggies space needed

Extra reliable! (Once the budget is gone on the car, it's GONE)

In the North West

Smallish car, cheap tax, economical.

Thats just my personal preference, im sure the 8v engine is fine but it would have to be the 16 valve version for me.

A 16 valve engine is an engine with 4 cylinders (the piston assemble travels up & down these cylinders) each cylinder has 4 valves positioned at the top, two valves provide air & fuel & the other two dump exhaust gases. Thats a fairly rough explanation.:)

Not rough enough for me I'm afraid - but thanks!

• Advertisement

4/5 doors (have child)

no golf clubs/buggies space needed

Extra reliable! (Once the budget is gone on the car, it's GONE)

In the North West

Smallish car, cheap tax, economical.

Mazda 323 1.3/1.5 petrol.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/LX/201007196916997/advert?channel=CARS

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mazda/323/GLX-1.5/201004196729482/advert?channel=CARS

Thanks for those suggestions.

Are they okay for spares etc?

Also, I need something in the North West, or I can do Limerick/Clare prefer Sligo/NW though). I don't have my full license yet, so the logistics wouldn't work with those, as well as the hassle of finding a mechanic to check it over.

But thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

hi OP,
    this one is €500 without the nct tho...
    ?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1172455

Piriz wrote: »
    hi OP,
    ?

Don't tempt me - I'm an impulse buyer!

Gotta be a big problem there, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Don't tempt me - I'm an impulse buyer!

Gotta be a big problem there, right?

Well it gives you a 1000 euro to play with, get him/her down to 400 hundred, throw it through a test and if it fails on anything major just sell it on again for 500 and make a profit :D

Car starts and runs very good. Alloy wheels included. Car does not have a current NCT.
    It could have failed the NCT on emissions. I don't think the seller is being very honest anyway - there must be some reason why it's being sold for so cheap.

Thanks for those suggestions.

Are they okay for spares etc?

Also, I need something in the North West, or I can do Limerick/Clare prefer Sligo/NW though). I don't have my full license yet, so the logistics wouldn't work with those, as well as the hassle of finding a mechanic to check it over.

But thanks.

You don't need to worry too much about spares when buying a mazda/toyota/honda if the car has been reasonably maintained.

It sounds like you need something reliable & practical so you won't go far wrong with a hatchback mazda 323 or a honda civic. Ask anyone in the trade & im sure they will agree.
    IMO the 1.3 petrol 323 would suit you perfectly. Low tax, economical, very practical & bulletproof

Good luck.

Aren't the 1.4's in Golfs/Boras that cause trouble the 16 valve ones? I still don't know if these are related engines. Regardless, any 1.4 will be better than the lethargic 1.0 litre!

Well it gives you a 1000 euro to play with, get him/her down to 400 hundred, throw it through a test and if it fails on anything major just sell it on again for 500 and make a profit :D

I've already got 2 old cars to get rid of, I can't handle another!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Piriz wrote: »
    hi OP,
    ?

That's an older mark than the one in the OP and is also more prone to problems than the one in the OP.

Advertisement