Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paranormal Groups Screwing it up for the Rest of Us

Options
  • 21-02-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

I have organised an investigation tonight. While talking to the owner he said that he will soon be stopping all groups from coming in because
    • people are contacting him regarding an investigation, book it and then never bother to show up
    • people are claiming to be with more established groups
    • people are turning up after hours in this mans house and havnt got a clue what they are doing

Seriously If you are one of these groups please cop on for gods sake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Can I add to that people who say they are coming on an investigation and then pull out at the last minute. Douche Bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Name and Shame

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Logan

Agreed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Traze

I have said this for ages that people who do this type of thing should be named and shamed, so as the rest of us can at least put some sense of community back into the paranormal scene. And not have the likes of them who every they are making it harder for all us groups who do take this field serious,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Please name and shame them.

• Advertisement

Well I'm just talking about the likes of people going on open investigations and pulling out last minute which happens to alot of us. And recently some people asked for access to a location and cancelled the day before. Alot of work goes into building a relationship with a site so when they get messed around it looks bad on you/us.

I think Grimes is talking about ppl a case were ppl/groups are ringing up locations and then just not showing up. We were talking to an owner last night and he didnt name them but said he was annoyed by it. He's not letting in ppl he doesnt know any more because of it. Thankfully we've a great relationship with him the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Traze

Ok fair enough but i still think ppl that do the likes of that should be named and shamed as it is not fair on all the groups who are genuine.
    Also this man you have built a relationship with should not if that case judge all groups on either one group or a individual person as we all do not cancel at the last min

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

We had that problem.... 2 people who I will not name on Boards.. contacted a pub in Tipperary.. saying that they were "Killarney Paranormal Society", booked an investigation and didn't show up..

Rang them a week later and booked another investigation with the same man and the same bar...and again they were a no show.

I googled KPS when I was bored and saw that our name was in a newspaper in Tipp about a planned investigation there, which we had never booked.. so I rang the man and he told me all of the above.

I know the 2 people in question but am yet to mention it to them.

But I had to smooth things over with the owner and now he wont have anything to do with KPS and it wasnt us!

Some people need to stop playing games!! :mad:

Well I know a fair few on here have pulled out last minute for trips to ross and duncannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

It gets to me a lot for the simple fact the reason open investigations are done is mainly for the publics benefit so they can experience a supposdely haunted location and when they don't turn up it refelects bad on you, your team and all other groups.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

The problem with the paranormal comes along groups who don't have a clue what they are doing. You have to be wary of groups which are coming to just for a laugh and could end up wrecking places in the building/area. Thats the main problem.

The people who allow these groups in need to seriously investigate the groups first before allowing them to enter a building.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

In the past groups were set up by people who had been investigating for a year or so and then came together. Now any old eejit can set up a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

what grimes said.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Logan

Grimes wrote: »
    In the past groups were set up by people who had been investigating for a year or so and then came together. Now any old eejit can set up a group.

In the past groups had to start from somewhere so I'm sure it was a few people who knew nothing of the paranormal back then, anybody can start up their own team which isn't always a bad thing, can't paint everyone with the same brush, but do you believe they should come from an already formed team? Well what if there isn't a team to take them on? There are alot of people now interested in the paranormal, and can't get onto teams so what are they to do? Wait until another place becomes available or take the rains and start up your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

i think if locations took deposits this wouldnt be a problem if i had a location i would be checking references for a team ie,,from the name they dropped to get in there and if they had a web presence ,,so i blame the locations for thinking they would be getting a team when they are thinking of money rather than know who in the name of jaysus is coming to there locations.

No deposit,no refrences,no website,, no investigation simple but hey thats just me ,,:rolleyes:

I agree with Logan...

Fair enough there may be a few groups out there with no idea what their doing..

But that may be the only choice a person has..

But I do believe if you can get into a team first that's the best way to do it...

That's how most of us started.. but since Paracon there are alot more teams emerging..

Logan wrote: »
    In the past groups had to start from somewhere so I'm sure it was a few people who knew nothing of the paranormal back then, anybody can start up their own team which isn't always a bad thing, can't paint everyone with the same brush, but do you believe they should come from an already formed team? Well what if there isn't a team to take them on? There are alot of people now interested in the paranormal, and can't get onto teams so what are they to do? Wait until another place becomes available or take the rains and start up your own.

Personally i think theres been too many teams forming with little or no experience in running teams, but thats just my opinion. I also think theres too many teams proporting to do research when they really mainly run money generating events. The only team that personally I have no problem with in that kind of regards is PIGS who educate and investigate - and they make no bones about it but they keep the two very seperate.

AGain though - I am a grumpy old man so take no notice of me.

maccored wrote: »
    Personally i think theres been too many teams forming with little or no experience in running teams, but thats just my opinion. I also think theres too many teams proporting to do research when they really mainly run money generating events. The only team that personally I have no problem with in that kind of regards is PIGS who educate and investigate - and they make no bones about it but they keep the two very seperate.

Again though - I am a grumpy old man so take no notice of me.

@Cormac: That's kind of you to say but just to clarify something. The PIGS have never made one penny from any paranormal activities. Both conventions were run at a cost to individual PIGS and any open investigations that are ran where money has been charged has been at cost price. The PIGS no longer do open investigations.The PIGS have also never been paid for any radio/tv/press.

The PIGS organise the convention to bring together the community not to make any personal profit.Like all other groups we don't charge to investigate people's houses nor do we claim that we can help them, we do not offer a "service".

In my opinion there are too many people who have watched a few episodes of most haunted, set up a group and go running around places claiming to be paranormal experts. There are too many people trying to get on TV and generate a profit. One established group for example charging people 140 euro to investigate Ross Castle for a night and the same thing goes for the theatrics in Wicklow Gaol.There are also too many start up groups poaching locations from other groups sites, I notice that very few groups update their list of locations now.

Ruth & Logan: Regarding getting into a team, most of use started in this before teams were around. People would organise open investigations as individuals and groups of non team investigators would go. If people were into it and were seen to be good at it they were offered a place on the PROAI (the only group at the time) or got to know people over 12 month or so and set up their own (PIGS/ Leinster Paranormal). Thats how I started and its a shame not to see open investigations being organised by individuals anymore and people just jumping on any team thats going.

FYI
    The PIGS do not recruit ever and has been the same people (more or less) since the group began 5 years ago nor will they ever recruit nor do we have any form of heirarchy.

The PIGS have never made one penny from any paranormal activities. Both conventions were run at a cost to individual PIGS and any open investigations that are ran where money has been charged has been at cost price. The PIGS no longer do open investigations.The PIGS have also never been paid for any radio/tv/press.

thats what I meant by educate - i didnt mean to insinuate that PIGS ran things for money as I know its always costs you more than you ever made from events.

I am after quoting you wrong lol not sure what button I pressed so excuse me for bolding your quote instead :D

One established group for example charging people 140 euro to investigate Ross Castle for a night and the same thing goes for the theatrics in Wicklow Gaol.

140??????? :eek: Shocked me a tad lol...v high price!!!

Ruth: Regarding getting into a team, most of use started in this before teams were around. People would organise open investigations as individuals and groups of non team investigators would go. If people were into it and were seen to be good at it they were offered a place on the PROAI (the only group at the time) or got to know people and set up their own (PIGS/ Leinster Paranormal). Thats how I started and its a shame not to see open investigations being organised by individuals anymore.The PIGS do not recruit ever and has been the same people since the group began 5 years ago nor will they ever recruit nor do we have any form of heirarchy.[/QUOTE]

That was my point that these opens arnt held by individuals anymore.. so trying to get into a team may be your only option.

I think its very good though that PIGs don't recruit and your the same 5, that's always good to see.

But I know from my own personal experiance, Im glad I was in another group before KPS.

• Advertisement

@Cormac: That's kind of you to say but just to clarify something. The PIGS have never made one penny from any paranormal activities. Both conventions were run at a cost to individual PIGS and any open investigations that are ran where money has been charged has been at cost price. The PIGS no longer do open investigations.The PIGS have also never been paid for any radio/tv/press.

The PIGS organise the convention to bring together the community not to make any personal profit.Like all other groups we don't charge to investigate people's houses nor do we claim that we can help them, we do not offer a "service".

Just giving my 100% backing to the above.
    The PIGS do not recruit ever and has been the same people (more or less) since the group began 5 years ago nor will they ever recruit nor do we have any form of heirarchy.

This is also true but we all know I'm the mammy and stoner is the daddy. :pac:

Speaking of which

http://www.irishghosthunters.com/ set up last month & dont even have their website up yet are appearing in the Herlad today quoting this and that about the usual psychic crap and buckets of equipment .FFS

Speaking of which

http://www.irishghosthunters.com/ set up last month & dont even have their website up yet are appearing in the Herlad today quoting this and that about the usual psychic crap and buckets of equipment .FFS

Never heard of them.... reading the link now...

6th wrote: »
    This is also true but we all know I'm the mammy and stoner is the daddy.

I played mammys and daddys when I was 8 and there was usually a girl involved. Two grown men playing mammys and daddys? Thats just not normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Speaking of which

This type of stuff really gets to me, groups like this just bring down any reputation that a group has built up over time and they destroy it in seconds!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭dib

Speaking of which

Looks to me like they're trying their best to land a Most Haunted style TV show. I had a look at their website and my blood is boiling right now.

ive started this . Its the direction Im going to be concentrating on from now on.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Speaking of which

Two problems with their site, how can you have leading edge equipment, if with paranormal stuff, noone actually knows where the edge is? And can you have a team of seven with 6 lead investigators?

That said, I dont want to come down on a new team that are trying to establish. Its a free market and none of you guys have it cornered. Though using bursting into tears as evidence is sensationalist nonsense, and I can see why you would be annoyed by that.

I think when someone pulls out of an investigation they should have to pay just like a hotel booking. Say a €20 deposit and if they pull out with a week or more to go then they get it back. If they pull out with less than a week then they lose it. Anything under 48hrs and tehy pay the full amount.

Fair?

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    I think when someone pulls out of an investigation they should have to pay just like a hotel booking. Say a €20 deposit and if they pull out with a week or more to go then they get it back. If they pull out with less than a week then they lose it. Anything under 48hrs and tehy pay the full amount.

Fair?

I still think the price of doing investigations is way to high. 400 - 900 quid for a night and not in any way affected by the economy. It does keep the messers at bay to an extent because anywhere worth investigating usually dosnt charge.

Advertisement