Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car using oil

Options
  • 20-02-2010 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭

My A4 uses oil and its due a service soon and im going to do it myself.Is there any point in draining the oil from it if its using oil? I have to top it up every 3000 klms so its always got fresh oil if its using it..Right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I got an Rx8 that abuses oil - it's still highly recommended to change the oil often though.

I'm presuming it's the same for an A4 as you'll only be topping up the old oil in the engine otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭Ban Ki Moon

Triangle wrote: »
    I got an Rx8 that abuses oil - it's still highly recommended to change the oil often though.

I'm presuming it's the same for an A4 as you'll only be topping up the old oil in the engine otherwise.
    Yea,only topping up the old oil.

Why drain the oil if the engine needs new oil on a regular basis?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Definitley drain it as their could be **** at the bottom of the sump.

malcox wrote: »
    Definitley drain it as their could be **** at the bottom of the sump.
    Gonna put a new oil filter on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 piddler

defo change it the tdi engines all like to burn a sup of oil

• Advertisement

Gonna put a new oil filter on it

That dont matter its like washing your feet and putting on dirty socks. Its nothing extra if your are going to take the time of servicing the car yourself in the first place.

piddler wrote: »
    defo change it the tdi engines all like to burn a sup of oil
    Yea its a 2ltr tdi.Its not that I dont trust anyone but I dont see why I need to change the oil if the engine uses 3 - 4 litres between servicing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yea its a 2ltr tdi.Its not that I dont trust anyone but I dont see why I need to change the oil if the engine uses 3 - 4 litres between servicing

Because ...if it uses that much, the engine isn't in the best of health and on top of using oil it's probably also producing quite a quantitiy of metal shavings :D

It's those that you want to get out of the bottom of the sump by draining it.

I would also try and use castrol edge over some stuff you get in halfords or motor factors. That could be a lot of the problem too.

peasant wrote: »
    Because ...if it uses that much, the engine isn't in the best of health and on top of using oil it's probably also producing quite a quantitiy of metal shavings :D

It's those that you want to get out of the bottom of the sump by draining it.
    I would also try and use castrol edge over some stuff you get in halfords or motor factors. That could be a lot of the problem too.
    The car had an audi long life service done 17mls ago,It let me down a few months ago and cost almost €2500 to fix.I search long and hard to put the best oil into the engine.

• Advertisement

I would be servicing a tdi every 15k kms, as opposed to 17k mls. I dont believe in that longlife servive tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

al vw audi tdi burn oil, and wear engines quickly, ! why is that, a merc would go for 300,000 plus with no wear or oil burning, vw go for 80,000 clapped out at 140,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 RIODEJ

What year is it? I'm planning on getting an A4 as their stylish and im told theyre mechanically brilliant but burnung oil sounds like a majot expensice problem. I had a crap fiat that did that, engine 'head' was burnt out, wasnt worth fixing. Maybe it leaking out from seals etc? Doesnt it overhead when its got oil problem?

RIODEJ wrote: »
    What year is it? I'm planning on getting an A4 as their stylish and im told theyre mechanically brilliant but burnung oil sounds like a majot expensice problem. I had a crap fiat that did that, engine 'head' was burnt out, wasnt worth fixing. Maybe it leaking out from seals etc? Doesnt it overhead when its got oil problem?
    Thats a big move from a fiat to an audi!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

not really :), seems there aint much difference between your audi and a broken fiat??, just your will cost more.

I dont understand how you are so lazy, that you are trying to get a reccomendation or justification, not to undo a sump plug and drain a engine.

Takes like 5 mins. No wonder your car is in bits.

Also, Halfords sell castrol edge.

kona wrote: »
    not really :), seems there aint much difference between your audi and a broken fiat??, just your will cost more.

I dont understand how you are so lazy, that you are trying to get a reccomendation or justification, not to undo a sump plug and drain a engine.

Your right, the car is never serviced anyway. The castrol is expensive in halfords though. I buy it in a 20l drum for a 100 euro. I would say the op would put water in if it done the job for him.

I buy it in a 20l drum for a 100 euro..

Where do you get that? Do you know if they do Duckhams Mineral 20w50?

My car is taken care of like a baby,Its time I started looking after my baby and not some technician in an audi whatcha may call it <garage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 RIODEJ

The fiat was from 2007, have a nissan almera but looking forward to upgrading to an audi. Hard to get the full money together, will take abit longer.

PS Nissans seem like a reliable modeal and not mad expensive either

5 mins?really??

• Advertisement

Where do you get that? Do you know if they do Duckhams Mineral 20w50?

I gets it of a backyard castrol distributor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

My car is taken care of like a baby,Its time I started looking after my baby and not some technician in an audi whatcha may call it

Then start by draining the old oil. Draining the sump also gets rid of any crud, metal shavings that have managed to get into the oil

Onkle wrote: »
    Then start by draining the old oil. Draining the sump also gets rid of any crud, metal shavings that have managed to get into the oil
    I will!!Thanks everyone for your help!!!Dont be surprised if im back here asking how to remove the cover underneath the engine

I enjoy it i have 3 different tdi s and do them every 15k kms. Its the life and soul of them to do it properly

My car is taken care of like a baby,Its time I started looking after my baby and not some technician in an audi whatcha may call it

Your having a laugh right?

If your car was looked after like a baby, you would have had your oil issues sorted ages ago. If its burning that much oil the NCT will fail you too.

If you gave a ****e, and treated the car "Like a Baby" you would have that car serviced every 6k or 3 months. The car would get any parts it needed, and skimping on the most basic maintenance wouldnt even be a thought.
    Your probably paying more in a year to feed its oil habit, that it would cost to fix it.

Yes 5mins really! Its not rocket science, I mean your doing 3/4 the job anyways:rolleyes:

Wonder how you would react if a mechanic treated your car this way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Not good, assuming you're servicing it in accordance with manufacturers intervals.

Healthy engines don't use that level of oil IMHO, I don't care what anyone in the dealership says. Oil goes two places - it leaks or it burns, it don't dissapear into thin air.

As for the poster that stated that all VAG TDI's use oil, bullsh*t, my missus has a leggy Golf TDI that has never needed a top up.

Sorry folks, I just don't buy this "x litres is acceptable" oil consumption rubbish. Most engines don't "use" oil unless they are worn or have ventilation issues ie something wrong.

As its a 2.0 TDI I assume its fairly recent, big money, big depreciation etc. I'd bring it back to where it was bought and be pretty indignant about having it sorted TBH.

New car burning oil? F*cked if I'd stand for that.

Cheers,

PS

As for the guy that can get 20 litres of Castrol Edge for 100E... I'm all ears :D

PPS I'm an expert at dragging German cars up to 200k, never had one yet that needed topping up 'tween services.

Fishtits wrote: »

As its a 2.0 TDI I assume its fairly recent, big money, big depreciation etc. I'd bring it back to where it was bought and be pretty indignant about having it sorted TBH.

New car burning oil? F*cked if I'd stand for that.

Cheers,

They will laugh at the OP if he mentioned warranty, no wonder the engine is burning oil, he probably rags the ****e out of it when its cold, his turbo probably has a load of sludge in it too, then doesnt service it for miles.

You are spot on, Engines aint designed to consume oil.

Your having a laugh right?

If your car was looked after like a baby, you would have had your oil issues sorted ages ago. If its burning that much oil the NCT will fail you too.

If you gave a ****e, and treated the car "Like a Baby" you would have that car serviced every 6k or 3 months. The car would get any parts it needed, and skimping on the most basic maintenance wouldnt even be a thought.
    Your probably paying more in a year to feed its oil habit, that it would cost to fix it.

Yes 5mins really! Its not rocket science, I mean your doing 3/4 the job anyways:rolleyes:

Wonder how you would react if a mechanic treated your car this way?
    My car is serviced every 6000klms by Audi at a cost of €290 a pop,A technician services your car when you leave it in for a service,Not a mechanic.A mechanic fixes your car if there is a problem with it,Lets get this part right!
    My VAG engine uses oil and this is a very common problem,What do you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is it me or does anyone else think that we will start to see more of this kind of thing from cars that have long-life or extended service interval oils in them?
    Oil is the lifeblood of an engine, it cools and lubricates, not changing oil is a recipe for disaster, small fragments of swarf being thrown around your engine at high speeds can be no good for anyone.
    I think the main reason that manufacturers have moved towards such huge service intervals is to appeal to fleet buyers who calculate costs of runnig fleets based on things like oil change costs, not engine longevity past 3 years.
    My diesel has 246k miles and doesn't use any oil between services but then I do 6k mile services Oil and filter.
    Cheap insurance IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My car is serviced every 6000klms by Audi at a cost of €290 a pop,A technician services your car when you leave it in for a service,Not a mechanic.A mechanic fixes your car if there is a problem with it,Lets get this part right!
    How does this statement equate to this?:
    My A4 uses oil and its due a service soon and im going to do it myself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement