Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First time on Motorway.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I was joining the motorway the other day and was not let out and had to continue driving on hard shoulder for another 150 meters before i could enter the 1st motor way lane.

To join the motorway keep an eye in your drivers side mirro and indicate your intentions to enter motorway lane get to speed with the other cars , you may have to slow or go faster depending on the other cars speeds to be able to move out on to motorway when there is space. there is a long enough run off so you shouldnt have to drive on hard shoulder.

I've been driving 16 years, and completed 100,000's of KM's on Motorways across Europe, never once have I had to drive in a hard shoulder when trying to enter a motorway.

If traffic was moving so slow that you had to continue 150m down the hard shoulder then you were going too fast.

If traffic was light and you couldn't get on to the Motorway because someone on the main carriageway wouldn't give way, then you really should surrender your licenece and leave the roads free for people who can drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Its no big deal, you position your car ahead of a car in the inside lane and indicate your intention to pull in to the gap, and then do so...if he can drive at all he will make sure he isnt in the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

traffic was heavy and fast, the lane leading on to motor way is very short maybe 200m at the most, doesnt give you much time at 100kph to join the motor way, and traffic in co clare dont let anyone out.

if i see someone entering motorway i will go into the second lane (if clear) and let them enter.

the trouble wth ennis to limerick motorway is the lanes leading off and on to motorway are way too short (except the run off to the main ennis town) so much so you have to slow down to 80kpm before entering the exit lane - ( tulla rd and barefield turn offs) otherwise you will end up the embankment, which many cars have done. (not me).

the road was a dual carriageway and was made for such (100kph) and when upgraded to a motorway they never extended the enter/exit lanes, which really they should have done. hence having to go a little further up the hard shoulder to enter the motorway, we dont have mile long run off that you do up in dublin. and thats once in my whole life that i did it so dont condem me for it.

im sure you have screwed up once here and there but of course it was the other persons fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! prehaps over took a tractor on a white line. gone over on a just turned red light because you didnt bother stopping on the yellow light thinking oh ill make it or maybe pulling into a yellow box when not turing right and being stuck there. prehaps you have done 55 in a 50 speed limit, or 110 in a 100 speed limit or 140 in a 120 speed limit. took the wrong lane at the roundabout or prehaps cut infront of a lorry into his braking space, drove with a bald tyre, skidded on ice. picked you nose at the wheel. parked on double yellows. talked on your mobile phone when driving. SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE NO ONE IS PERFECT. there are so many other faults i could quote but i have things to do.

I could of pulled out onto the motor way that day but do you know what if i did i would of hit a car, i waited until i had a safe space to get into and adjusted my speed to such.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

traffic was heavy and fast, the lane leading on to motor way is very short maybe 200m at the most, doesnt give you much time at 100kph to join the motor way, and traffic in co clare dont let anyone out.

if i see someone entering motorway i will go into the second lane (if clear) and let them enter.

the trouble wth ennis to limerick motorway is the lanes leading off and on to motorway are way too short (except the run off to the main ennis town) so much so you have to slow down to 80kpm before entering the exit lane - ( tulla rd and barefield turn offs) otherwise you will end up the embankment, which many cars have done. (not me).

the road was a dual carriageway and was made for such (100kph) and when upgraded to a motorway they never extended the enter/exit lanes, which really they should have done. hence having to go a little further up the hard shoulder to enter the motorway, we dont have mile long run off that you do up in dublin. and thats once in my whole life that i did it so dont condem me for it.

im sure you have screwed up once here and there but of course it was the other persons fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! prehaps over took a tractor on a white line. gone over on a just turned red light because you didnt bother stopping on the yellow light thinking oh ill make it or maybe pulling into a yellow box when not turing right and being stuck there. prehaps you have done 55 in a 50 speed limit, or 110 in a 100 speed limit or 140 in a 120 speed limit. took the wrong lane at the roundabout or prehaps cut infront of a lorry into his braking space, drove with a bald tyre, skidded on ice. picked you nose at the wheel. parked on double yellows. talked on your mobile phone when driving. SO GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE NO ONE IS PERFECT. there are so many other faults i could quote but i have things to do.

I could of pulled out onto the motor way that day but do you know what if i did i would of hit a car, i waited until i had a safe space to get into and adjusted my speed to such.

You should have stopped then I think. Driving on the hard shoulder is a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

but DC in Ireland are designed to well over 100, just because you can only go 100 is nothing to do with design and as such entry and exits lengths are suitable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Went off on a rant there for nothing grindel!

ok if i stopped at the end of the runoff how the hell am i suppose to join the motorway because i cant join at 5 kph. im sure all of you would love comming up behind me. say for instance you had a flat you pull over to the hard shoulder and stop, change your tyre and then start up gather speed (while on hard shoulder) then get back on. you dont just pull out doing 5kph and then gather speed.

i also know driving on the hard shoulder is a no no. just like all the other stuff that i mentioned.

r.o.r. must be put up for the worlds best driver. michael schumacher even run into the back of a lorry while changing the radio station.

rant rant rant but the fact is im sure r.o.r. like 100% of other drivers have broken rules of the road a some point. you wanna call me the worlds worst driver fine 11 years and no points says something different. i could have joined the motorway earlier but i probably wouldnt be writing this if i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

You should have stopped then I think. Driving on the hard shoulder is a no no.

Its not really a no no. In fact i think in this situation it is one of the most minimal of all traffic offences. I would never ever stop on a slip road because i'm not suicidal!!!!

M18 creates a new fast track for local motorists

emailButton.png printButton.png pdf_button.png
    News
    Claire Gallagher

motorway.jpgDrivers in Clare are going faster than ever before - and it’s legal.
    On Friday last, the majority of the N18 dual carriageway became the M18, as motorists are now allowed to drive up to 120 kilometres.
    Learner drivers will no longer be able to use this route from Barefield to Ennis, however, as it is now one of the country’s designated motorways. The 12.5km of the Ennis bypass, along with the 8.3 kilometre dual carriageway from Shannon to Ennis, make up the new motorway status.
    This motorway will be extended even further with the opening of the Crusheen and Gort bypass.
    Once completed, the M18 will link Oranmore in County Galway to Limerick city.
    As well as the Gort to Crusheen dual carriageway currently under construction, the Oranmore to Gort route currently in planning will complete the project.
    While the opening up of the road as a motorway is welcomed by motorists, concerns regarding safety continue to be raised.
    Chief among those with ongoing questions is Ennis County and Town Councillor Johnny Flynn (FG).
    While the councillor is happy that the motorway is up to standard, he believes that the slip roads are not adequate - particularly the Barefield and Tulla exits.
    Despite assurances from the National Roads Authority (NRA) that it carried out a series of safety tests on the new motorway, the former fire chief and civil engineer said the geometic designs are too short in length to exit and access the motorway. He said this is especially difficult for commercial vehicles.
    He said the addition of reflective dividers at the exit to the motorway indicates that the NRA recognised there was an issue.
    The councillor also added that the NRA should also improve the signage on the dual carriageway to give motorists adequate notice of turn-offs.

http://www.clarepeople.com/index.php/20090902278/This-Weeks-News/M18-creates-a-new-fast-track-for-local-motorists.html

thats for you who say i was wrong

Ennis concerns over increase in speed limit for bypass

In this section »

PAT FLYNN and TIM O'BRIEN
    AS THE Department of Transport prepares to formally redesignate a number of the State’s new dual-carriageways as motorways, concern has arisen in Co Clare that the Ennis bypass is not suitable for the increased speeds.
    The redesignation will involve a number of new dual-carriageways across the State, which the National Roads Authority says were built to motorway standards, being redesignated in a move which will raise the speed limit for motorists from 100km/h to 120km/h.
    However, locals in Co Clare claim that the Ennis dual-carriageway, where the speed limit will increase from this Friday, was originally intended to cater for speeds up to 80km/h and is not designed for or safe enough for anything higher.
    Retired consultant engineer Nigel Barnes said he believed elements of the bypass were “frightening and totally inappropriate” to cater for speeds of 120km/h.
    Mr Barnes said: “At an oral hearing during the consultation process prior to work commencing on the Ennis bypass project, documentation was produced which clearly stated that the design speed limit for the route would be 50m/h [80km/h].”
    Clare County Councillors Brian Meaney (Green) and Johnny Flynn (Fine Gael), a civil engineer and former chief fire officer for Co Limerick, have already called for a full safety audit of the project to be undertaken before the redesignation of Ennis bypass goes ahead.
    Cllr Meaney sought Mr Barnes’s advice on planning matters relating to the project after issues were raised by locals in the Barefield area, near Ennis, about aspects of the project.
    Mr Barnes, who has worked on other road projects in Ireland, said: “This route was originally designed to cater for speeds of no more than 50m/h. If the Ennis bypass is upgraded to motorway and has a speed limit of 120km/h, people will get hurt.”
    He said the slip roads at the Tulla Road interchange in Ennis and at Barefield further north were too short and dangerous to cater for motorists slowing down from 120km/h.
    Several collisions have already occurred at both locations.
    However, a spokeswoman for the National Roads Authority said the road was fully tested for compliance with motorway design, including the interchanges, prior to a recommendation being made that they be redesignated.
    She said the authority was aware of the concern locally, and the authority had arranged to reassess its designation for the Ennis bypass.

see its not only me!!!!!!!!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0825/1224253194826.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

bigbadbear wrote: »
    Its (driving on the hard shoulder) not really a no no.

Oh it is, and it's also a specified penalty points offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Note to self.. stay off M50

061209001bmp.jpg

And turn off your "Front Fog Lights" :mad:

Unless its foggy of course ...............

r.o.r. must be put up for the worlds best driver.

Thank you, thank you, you're far too kind.

If you don't mind though it's R.O.R - I didn't go to the trouble of capitalising the initials for nothing you know ;)
    i could have joined the motorway earlier but i probably wouldnt be writing this if i did.

I find it hard to believe that there was no opportunity for the length of the slip road to pull in to a gap. If traffic was steadily moving at high enough speed in the inside lane, then there has to be a decent gap in between cars. Indicator on and someone will create a gap for you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Camelot wrote: »
    061209001bmp.jpg

And turn off your "Front Fog Lights" :mad:

Unless its foggy of course ...............

Christ. Any more talk of foglights in a thread without even a mention of lights of any kind, and people are getting banned.

I find it hard to believe that there was no opportunity for the length of the slip road to pull in to a gap. If traffic was steadily moving at high enough speed in the inside lane, then there has to be a decent gap in between cars. Indicator on and someone will create a gap for you.[/QUOTE]

R.O.R
    You must be joking, hardly anyone down here lets you out. indicator was on and i had to bide my time before i had a space to get into. down here there are few drivers that let you out, even getting out of the estate can take 3 mins and that when there is only your car when your stuck behind 3 cars 10 mins, the flow of traffic on tulla road is the worst in ennis.

I find it hard to believe that there was no opportunity for the length of the slip road to pull in to a gap. If traffic was steadily moving at high enough speed in the inside lane, then there has to be a decent gap in between cars. Indicator on and someone will create a gap for you.

R.O.R
    You must be joking, hardly anyone down here lets you out. indicator was on and i had to bide my time before i had a space to get into. down here there are few drivers that let you out, even getting out of the estate can take 3 mins and that when there is only your car when your stuck behind 3 cars 10 mins, the flow of traffic on tulla road is the worst in ennis.[/QUOTE]

you signal your intention and you do it....you dont have to wait til someone lets you out, if you get your nose in front, thats enough....be positive and they will make a space for you...

JUST BECAUSE YOU INDICATE DOES NOT MEAN OR GIVE YOU RIGHT OF WAY.

RIGHT OF WAY IS FOR THE CARS ALREADY ON THE MOTOR WAY NOT THE ONES JOINING THE MOTORWAY.

IF I DID THAT I WoULD BE DEAD ALREADY!!!!!!

Taken form rules of the road,

Use the acceleration lane to build up your speed before merging into traffic on the motorway.
    Signal early to other motorists that you intend to merge.
    As you approach on the slip road, check in your mirrors and your blind spot for a safe gap in traffic in the left-hand lane of the motorway.
    Obey road signs and road markings.
    Do not drive on hatch markings before merging into traffic on the motorway.
    Give way to traffic already on the motorway.
    Adjust your speed as you join the motorway so you match, as near as possible, the general speed of traffic in that lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

You must be joking, hardly anyone down here lets you out..

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you find that you regularly cannot join a motorway without being "let out" by others, you really need to get back to driving school.

I've used that piece of motorway, and the acceleration lanes.

The volume of traffic isn't that heavy ever, and in my view a driver of average ability and perception should be well able to join the driving lane without incident.

corktina wrote: »

you signal your intention and you do it....you dont have to wait til someone lets you out, if you get your nose in front, thats enough....be positive and they will make a space for you...

Now that's just asking for trouble. If you tried that with me, you'd end up travelling down the hard shoulder until you pulled in behind - that's unless you are the git in the dump truck who did that to me on the M1 this morning. Discretion is better than valour in that case.

There is a difference between making a definite move, and just being a bully.

• Advertisement

I wasnt let out! :p i dont expect to be let out. I expect drivers to be courteous, like i am.

I drive on the motorway 2 - 4 times each day, so i am well used to joining it, but that day i came accross 5 cars that had not intention of being courteous and get a s**t load of grief from people on here for sharing an experience. When each one criticizing me has broken some sort of rule of the road themselves.

End all, if the poor person who started this thread is reading all this we will surely put them off. You didnt get the full licence for nothing you earned it and therefore deserve it.

Henry ford III, have you entered/exited the 13th and 14 exits on the m18?

all the others are fine but 13 and 14 are very short. after driving on that road since it was opened ive been on it twice a day everyday and sometimes 4 times a day thats over 700 times.

R.O.R wrote: »
    Now that's just asking for trouble. If you tried that with me, you'd end up travelling down the hard shoulder until you pulled in behind - that's unless you are the git in the dump truck who did that to me on the M1 this morning. Discretion is better than valour in that case.

There is a difference between making a definite move, and just being a bully.

oh no i wouldnt and if you hit me from behind, then Id let the Gards sort it out....i think YOU are the bully judging by your post....

Henry ford III, have you entered/exited the 13th and 14 exits on the m18?

all the others are fine but 13 and 14 are very short. after driving on that road since it was opened ive been on it twice a day everyday and sometimes 4 times a day thats over 700 times.

Not as often as you but yes I've used them ok

corktina wrote: »
    oh no i wouldnt and if you hit me from behind, then Id let the Gards sort it out....i think YOU are the bully judging by your post....

Nope - I'm on the main carriageway and have right of way. You think you have the right of way?

HenryFord III

since you know where im talking

Do you think the slip roads are short??????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The slip roads are short but by god help you if you ever have to go to dublin - you would never make it in - have some balls and join in or dont drive at all

not done dublin, but have done birmingham and manchester and stoke(m5 and m6). and as i have said ive been on our motorway over 700 times ( i think i call that joining in) and 1 incident where had to continue a slight distance on the hard shoulder, if you put a video cam there ( exits 13 & 14 of the M18) you will probably see more driving on the hard shoulder.

ps i dont have balls and never will.....

HenryFord III

since you know where im talking

Do you think the slip roads are short??????

A wee bit ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Heroditas

R.O.R wrote: »

The road that Grindelwad descibes is an utter nightmare. I've been on it a few times - very short merges and if you think lane discipline and tailgating are bad on the M50, it's an utter disgrace on this road.
    The standard of driving is appalling

Advertisement