Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to pick a new religion

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Saint Ruth

Slav wrote: »
    Orthodox? No, that's not an option. ;)
    There would be no First Holy Communion and no Confirmation for the kids there. We Orthodox don't restrain infants from the Eucharist so the first Communion is usually on the day they are baptised or very soon after that. Same, Anointment did not evolve into Confirmation as it did in the Roman Church and therefore is still done some 15 minutes after Baptism. :)
    Also it would not be right to think of Orthodox Church as of "RCC without Pope"; they are very different in fact.
    But aren't the teachings very similar, like transubstantiation etc?

Even pope john paul ii had talked about the "two lungs" of east and west, the CAtholic and Orthodox and reuniting them (compare this with the stance on Protestant churchs which he called "ecclesiastical communities")...

Sure, there are differences, but not as many as between Catholicism and Lutheranism for example.

Personally, if I were going to convert, I'd pick a religion that required a bit of effort, otherwise I wouldn't see the point...but that's just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Saint Ruth wrote: »
    But aren't the teachings very similar, like transubstantiation etc?

True. They are similar as the two share almost a thousand years of common history. On the other hand they are different in almost any and everything as they have not been in communion for the other thousand. For example this very issue of transubstantiation: while EOC believe that Eucharist is essentially the Body and Blood and might even use the word transubstantiation occasionally, they probably would not subscribe to the Trent definition of it.

Even pope john paul ii had talked about the "two lungs" of east and west, the CAtholic and Orthodox and reuniting them (compare this with the stance on Protestant churchs which he called "ecclesiastical communities")...
    True again. Although at the same time John Paul II was saying that, Catholics and Orthodox were effectively at war in Western Ukraine... Actually in the Orthodox world JP II was generally considered a populist under whom no real dialog between the Churches was possible. In comparison Pope Benedict XVI (who does not use such beautiful lungs metaphors) has greater respect among Orthodox. But still, as for reunion I don't think it will ever happen.

Advertisement