Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lvl 60+ really slow leveling

Options
  • 17-02-2010 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

the speed at which I was leveling dropped when I hit 60. Does anyone have tips on leveling fast in outland??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Sit in the LFG queue for random dungeons. Better obviously if you're a tank, or even if you're a healer (you'll get groups faster), but even as dps it's still worth it.

If you're in the middle of a gather quest or kill quest, or on your way somewhere, when you're done you'll end up right back where you were.

Outside of that, head down, get some good tunes on, and *edit* start the grind *edit*

Note - I also recommend trying to do random dungeons as soon as you can hitting 60 (outland), and try to stay about 1 level above the quests you're doing. You get slightly less XP, but you mostly complete them faster (kill quests take up the majority of the ones in outland).

• Registered Users Posts: 82,007 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;64505935']Sit in the LFG queue for random dungeons. Better obviously if you're a tank, or even if you're a healer (you'll get groups faster), but even as dps it's still worth it.

If you're in the middle of a gather quest or kill quest, or on your way somewhere, when you're done you'll end up right back where you were.

Outside of that, head down, get some good tunes on, and start grinding.

Note - I also recommend trying to do random dungeons as soon as you can hitting 60 (outland), and try to stay about 1 level above the quests you're doing. You get slightly less XP, but you mostly complete them faster (kill quests take up the majority of the ones in outland).
    Grinding? Killing Trash Mobs? Not Questing?

Maybe that works for you but to each their own. Theres way more exp. to gain from the quests in each zone.

I did all or most of Hellfire, all or most of Zangamarsh, and most of Terrokar. By the time I had gotten more than halfway through Terrokar, I was already 69 and ready to hit Borean Tundra where I shot up to 71 and Howling Fjord to 72.

I spent less than 2 weeks in outland and barely did any dungeons. though there was a healthy obsession with Alterac Valley BG.

The times I've leveled the fastest OP are when I picked one zone I liked and cleared it. Azuremyst, Bloodymyst [with the tab to show for it!], Duskwood, Stranglethorn, Hinterlands, Tanaris, Plaguelands, etc. this wowwiki page was the only leveling guide I used: http://www.wowwiki.com/Zones_by_level

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I meant grinding through quests. Either way, killing mobs or doing quests, becomes a necessary repetition (unless you're interested in the quest story lines).

Therefore it becomes the grind.

I guess most people have just gotten used to wow terms, so the sentence on its own would have multiple meanings. That's why I made multiple references to questing.

I should have said to 'start the grind'.

By the way, you don't have to do every quest in an area to move past it. If you're in the queue for dungeons while questing, you should be getting a nice boost. As I mentioned about trying to stay about 1 level above the quests you're doing, when you move a few levels above them, unless they're parts to a larger quest chain with massive amounts of XP and nice end rewards, feel free to abandon some.

Questhelper is handy, including the directional arrow, but I would also suggest Lightheaded - it's shows you the full quest line of the quests you're on. That way if you see a quest is a stand alone (it also has comments to say if it links onto quests outside of the chain), and it's green, you can feel comfortable dumping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Quest helper is a life saver in outland I think. I think the best places for quick quests and easy kills would be hellfire, zangermarsh and Nagrand and then netherstorm. I just never liked terrok forest, blades edge or shadowmoon valley questing.

Always be in the que for LFG dungeons they alway give a good xp boost for the time doing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

i always make sure to pick up the quests for dungeons too. probably more beneficial for loot than for direct xp, but then decent gear will let you level faster anyway.
    i always park my toon in an inn, and almost always have the double xp bonus going as a result
    then again i'm not even level 60 yet so what do i know eh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Last time I did 60-70 I remember it being extremely fast and that was without any heirloom items.
    As others said, try to get into random instances. Those especially in Hellfire. They are very quick to run through and provide a good amount of XP.
    Running these a few times each at the beginning will get you nice gear and put you a bit ahead of the current quest levels for when you cant get a group (which should be rare now anyway)
    I know I did all quests in Hellfire before moving anywhere. After this I went to Zangamarsh and did the same here (until I got the achi in both places)
    Tried to get any Zanga instances out of the way also.
    After Zanga I hit Terrok and again finished all or as many quests as I could (think some were a bit high or tough elites that I couldn't solo).
    Then finished up in Nagrand.
    By the time I was done in Nagrand I was 70 or very close. If needed, hit BE mountains for some easy kill quests for XP.

Leveling a mage atm. Only 38 atm but will basically be following my own advice above when I hit 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

I used this guide the first time i did a char to 80 (started two weeks before WOTLK)

http://www.wow-pro.com/leveling_guides/james_horde_leveling_guide

There is an addon version too now. All free.

I enjoyed the guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Big +1 for the LFG queue. The OL dungeons aren't as long as the later Vanilla instances, you can run through the Hellfire Ramparts and Blood Furnace a few times in an evening.

I think once the excitment of dinging 58 and getting to Hellfire has worn off, then it is quite a grind. I cleared all the quests in HP on the first char I sent through the Blasted Portal, and I was absolutely sick of it by the time I handed in the last one. There's a burst of good quest rewards once you start, and getting the flying mount at 60 is a good motivator, but after that it gets a bit lame.

Most of the OL zones are for similar levels, Zangarmarsh an Nagrand are both mid 60s, and Terokkar/Auchindon are about the same as well, so if you don't like a zone there are alternatives. I prefer Nagrand to Zangarmarsh for questing. I haven't done much in Blade's Edge/Silvermoon yet.

You'll only be in Outland till 68, I reckon by the time I've complete the quests in Nagrand I should be ready to go. Nagradn also has the Nesingwary quests, which seem to be much easier than the STV quest chain.

It's also worthwhile to level up your skinning/mining/herbing in Nagrand as well, so you can hit the ground runnig in Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord (whichever is for 68s)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Columc wrote: »
    Quest helper is a life saver in outland I think. I think the best places for quick quests and easy kills would be hellfire, zangermarsh and Nagrand and then netherstorm. I just never liked terrok forest, blades edge or shadowmoon valley questing.
    Hellfire and Zangermarsh are definitely pretty good. Nagrand though seems to have a much higher proportion of 'kill x mobs' quests which take longer than others and also group quests, which these days it'll be tough enough to find a group for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

you can do 60-70 in a couple of days playing easily (not /played days).

Im terrible at leveling, so i use zygors guide with the built in quest helper(sincce cartographer doesnt work).

Its the best guide imo. Its mindless wow, it tells you what to do and you do it, you buy stuff 5 levels in advance in one zone, then end up handing it in later to get great xp for 2 seconds work.

as iceman said tho, dungeons. If you go out of sync with zygors, its a pain in the arse. You should be a certain level by the time you pick up other quests, and dungeons with the new dungeon finder is the way to go to catch up on it.

and eh, the sure fire way to make leveling easy.... GET A FLYinG MOUnt1!11

srs bsns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Keep questing, there is no faster way.

Get yourself though hellfire, then zangarmarsh, and then a little through nagrand and you should be 68.

Took me about 4 days really casually to do it.

There is literally no faster way. GEt yourself into the LFG only when you pick up the dungeon quests as they are monster xp.

and eh, the sure fire way to make leveling easy.... GET A FLYinG MOUnt1!11
    +67

Overheal wrote: »
    +67

You can get a flying mount at 60....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

TheDoc wrote: »
    You can get a flying mount at 60....

And you can get cold weather flying at 70 now too (or is it 73?)

I was saying +1....but....- you know what, nevermind.

72 for your alts red ice. else its 78.

It's OK Overheal, some of us got it! :)

You know what costs a load of time? Group quests. Nothing ruins a nice optimised QH route around a map like having to find someone else to help you complete a 2 or 3 person task. Sure, you can go back later, but it's time better spent elsewhere...

red_ice wrote: »
    And you can get cold weather flying at 70 now too (or is it 73?)

I have cold weather flying on my mage alt.

Who is level 68 in northrend.

Buy the boa tome and pass it on

2 Espressi wrote: »
    It's OK Overheal, some of us got it! :)

You know what costs a load of time? Group quests. Nothing ruins a nice optimised QH route around a map like having to find someone else to help you complete a 2 or 3 person task. Sure, you can go back later, but it's time better spent elsewhere...
    I can handle 2 player quests as a tank easy :cool: or at least i could as late as TBC.

Else its easy to Pug it with someone you find in general chat.

Stupid Guild rookie asked us for group help so I go Yes Im on my way! Lets get this 80 buddy of mine to help! But we get there, the guy DC, pops back in, goes Waaaagh my Questhelper addon isnt working, what do I do now?!

So yeah, if you want someone's help on a group quest at least attempt it yourself so you at least know what youre meant to be doing. I can at least sometimes say "Yeah I could almost do this myself but a Healer/DPS/Tank would be great."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Get quest helper + gather up all available quests in each quest hub + do those quests = success + lots and lots of gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Rested Exp ftw. But if your in a hurry forget about that.

Always do the seasonal dailies, max exp for little effort, plus the pots/buffs you get make lvling easier.

Get friends to boost you in Hellfire in the dungeons, this again is max exp for little or no effort. Same go's for the other area dungeons. Also make sure to get the quests for the dungeon's. The lower lvl you are doing the dungeon's the better when getting a boost.

Bg's are great, Alterac especially. 2 Alterac is pretty much 1/2 lvl's.

As stated grinding for 2-3 hours doing quests will get you a couple of lvl's.

I'm lvling a rogue atm purely for Enchanting/Tailoring (he is 63 from 60, after 2 nights boosting with rested exp, total of about 4 hours). Soon as he hits 65 its off the Northrend to max both profs with mats ive collected with other toons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

In regards addons to help, Carbonite, without a doubt, just go and get it.
    http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info12965-Carbonite.html

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Definitly worth queing for randoms. Great XP to be had in those.
    While in the queue, try do all of the group quests in Nagrand.

Like the Talbuk, Rhino & Windroc Mastery quests are sure to be quite helpful. :)

Solo'd the three of these last night, took a couple of tries, some tracking and some tactical use of totems to get each one, but I managed it in the end. Tried Tusker a few times, but not having much luck with her, and I had to bail before one of the lads was free to give me a hand.

I've discovered there's a slow fall cape I can get in Terokkar that requires a bit of rep grinding so I think I'll have a crack at that as well.

Shamanhattan

Give me a holler when ever im online, and ill come help with grp quests. I genereally log on in the evenings, do my dailies and then just muck about doing something comletely pointless anyways.....

Nice one Shou, thanks!

Shougeki wrote: »
    Shamanhattan

then just muck about doing something comletely pointless anyways.....

Example. 172 qs from loremaster. Why? No f'ing clue. :P

Ill be online anyways from 6:30ish tonight till late. havent played much in recent days due to other ..... issues.

Got this last night, by accident. Logged in, and a random L65 DK happened to be in the same spot as I was, looking for aged Clefthoofs or something, and we killed Tusker in no time at all!

I'm mid-Level67 now, so I got the blimp to Northrend. Looks like I can handle the mobs, they're all 68-69, and the skinning seems good, so I think I'll farm scraps/leathers till I'm 68 and pick up a few quests then (Quest "!"s are all greyed out at the moment). I'm guessing there's an introductory quest chain in Warsong Hold, similar to the Hellfire quests in TBC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭hk797

2 Espressi wrote: »
    I'm guessing there's an introductory quest chain in Warsong Hold, similar to the Hellfire quests in TBC?

When you ding 68 go back to where the zep arrives in Warsong Hold and pickup the feeder quest from the NPC - this sends you downstairs and opens up 2 quest chains all soloable which ultimately leads to these rewards - checkout the comments for quests required to be completed - this weapon will do you until lvl 75 and the Ring of Blood style event chain in Zul Drak - this weapon will serve you til 80.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I remember absolutly flying up from 68 as my Rogue. Got some sweet fist weapons (one from Nexus, other from quest) and looked like a badass for quite a few levels. Definitely a major improvement over the Outland area's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 irishstu

I find the heirloom items pretty useful - got the two leather ones for my hunter and druid alts

Advertisement