Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

petrol & diesel prices. Tesco taking the mick In Tullamore

Options
  • 16-02-2010 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭

Tesco Tullamore as of yesterday were 126.9 if memory serves correctly; for petrol.
    It got my attention because one of the dearest sites in Tullamore, Heffernan's esso station opposite the Tullamore Court Hotel, was 125.9, so a cent a litre cheaper.
    But.......... McGees in Kilbeggan (www.mcgeeoil.ie), which is 10 minutes away now because of the Tullamore Bypass, are 120cent a litre and 110 for diesel.

So Tesco's 'Every Little Helps' is true. It's just they mean it helps their bottom line and share price. Not your pocket.
    5 cent a litre is €3 a fill for your average family car. That's not insignificant money these days as wallets are stretched.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Tesco Tullamore as of yesterday were 126.9 if memory serves correctly; for petrol.
    It got my attention because one of the dearest sites in Tullamore, Heffernan's esso station opposite the Tullamore Court Hotel, was 125.9, so a cent a litre cheaper.
    But.......... McGees in Kilbeggan (www.mcgeeoil.ie), which is 10 minutes away now because of the Tullamore Bypass, are 120cent a litre and 110 for diesel.

So Tesco's 'Every Little Helps' is true. It's just they mean it helps their bottom line and share price. Not your pocket.
    5 cent a litre is €3 a fill for your average family car. That's not insignificant money these days as wallets are stretched.

110 for diesel is brilliant. It is 117 in Bridgend, County Donegal, but they are exploiting the higher prices in Derry; 114 is the norm in the NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭agcons

120 for petrol in Doolans Kilcormac, 11 mile away and 119 in Birr. tesco have provided a right con job in Tullamore, cheaper than anyone for a while to build up market share and shaft the local stations and now one of the dearest suppliers around

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

agcons wrote: »
    120 for petrol in Doolans Kilcormac, 11 mile away and 119 in Birr. tesco have provided a right con job in Tullamore, cheaper than anyone for a while to build up market share and shaft the local stations and now one of the dearest suppliers around

Rest of stations in Kilbeggan are 124.9 for petrol. I'm slightly wary as to the quality of the fuel in mcGees

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

i have to say, im a heffernans person for fuel! used to get alot of petrol in tescos but i found the quality wasn't great.. whereas esso(heffernans) lasts that little bit longer.. maybe its just Me:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭Dull and Boring

Rest of stations in Kilbeggan are 124.9 for petrol. I'm slightly wary as to the quality of the fuel in mcGees

My sister had the exact same concern. Got petrol there and went through it much quicker than usual.Whereas Heffernan's was much better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Seems they certainly are and sadly all the other garages in Tullamore seem to follow their lead. Actually stopped using Tesco's, not just because of the prices but appalling service there, has anyone come across that Nasty, Freckled cow that works there? Birr is currently offering the best prices locally at €1.19 Yesterday as opposed to the outrageous €1.26 at tesco's.

Actually while i am one, That company who does the the clamping in Tullamore, i was doing some work around main street over the past few weeks and observed how these chancers operate. The guy goes around taking photographs of cars and their Plates, surely this has to be illegal, just wondered had anyone noticed this, poor chap got caught in the lidl car park today, dirty big clamp and stickers all over the car.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Tesco had a major impact on the prices in town after they first opened and I used them regulary with no noticable difference in quality compared to anywhere else. (Diesel). However they are no longer ( not for a long time IMHO) offering they best value. It seems there is a bit of a cartel running in town now.I get most of my Diesel in Flahertys in birr which is some of the cheepest around. I've heard some stories about the quality there in the past but no one I know of now has any complaints.

Agreed re cartel in Tullamore, was around today and there all pretty much charging the same price, Birr certainly is offering the best value at the moment. A previous contributor stated concerns about quality at Mc Gees, in Killbeggan, i have to disagree, i get my home heating oil from them and not only are they the best value but absolutely no problems with quality and service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

I worked in the oil retail industry on and off for 10 years until a few years ago.

I have to say I take exception to that remark, as its totally unfair to say something like that online about someone who 'may' be actually using cheaper costs elesewhere to produce that price. Ever think of that? Do you know the overheads of staff costs in highly unionised oil cos like Esso etc? Sky-high. Crazy stuff.

I am reporting this post as I think to say something disingenuous like that is not on at all, without proof. I hope you have some if you are contacted via your email through Boards' staff?

When I worked for high reputation outfits, the drivers were always knocking and casting aspersions on independent outfits. Its the oldest trick in the book and you, like a fool, or worse, are falling for it.

It is simply not appropriate for someone to cast aspersions online like this. As a happy customer of theirs, with expert knowledge on the Irish oil scene, I will call your bluff.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Agreed re cartel in Tullamore, was around today and there all pretty much charging the same price, Birr certainly is offering the best value at the moment. A previous contributor stated concerns about quality at Mc Gees, in Killbeggan, i have to disagree, i get my home heating oil from them and not only are they the best value but absolutely no problems with quality and service

+1 . I am reporting that poster and emailing McGees as well. That sort of thing is not aon. Making scurrilous remarks. Look at what happened to Willie O'Dea. People should stand up to liars and big arrogant mouths.

• Advertisement

medoc wrote: »
    Tesco had a major impact on the prices in town after they first opened and I used them regulary with no noticable difference in quality compared to anywhere else. (Diesel). However they are no longer ( not for a long time IMHO) offering they best value. It seems there is a bit of a cartel running in town now.I get most of my Diesel in Flahertys in birr which is some of the cheepest around. I've heard some stories about the quality there in the past but no one I know of now has any complaints.

Exactly. Those scurrilous attacks are all part and parcel of the Irish stupidity. If its cheaper, it must be dodgy. Those kinds of people should continue to be punished by dearer prices for much the same thing and also have their mouths shut officially for making scurrilous remarks. I used to work in oil and I know the tricks of the big 'reputable' companies. I don't work for those unethical SOBs any more. Not involved in that industry for years.

offaly1 wrote: »
    i have to say, im a heffernans person for fuel! used to get alot of petrol in tescos but i found the quality wasn't great.. whereas esso(heffernans) lasts that little bit longer.. maybe its just Me:eek::confused:

Folks, you all need to wake up about the reality of oil distribution in Ireland.

There is a limited amount of terminals. Esso / texaco share the same one. Statoil tankers often delivered to Tesco. etc etc. Sometimes the diesel that you buy in a big name petrol station may be the exact same fuel that you despised in Tesco. Sometimes you might order heating oil from a big company and have it delivered by say tedcastles or whoever. This happens frequently.

There are minor differences in petrol and diesel quality, based on the lubricant additives that are added at Dublin or whichever terminal you choose. But it is WRONG to cast aspersions on fuel quality without having facts. City diesel is a lower grade (less additives) than what might be considered premium diesel. But casting aspersions on businesses is wrong and playing into the hands of the big boys.I merely stated that prices were out of whack. Not product. That is not just wrong, I think its also punishable now if you haven't proof for such outlandish statements.

If you are concerned about fuel usage folks, don't fill your tank fully. Keep it beween 1/4 and 3/4 full mainly. This means your car is carrying less weight. Also, check your tyre pressure weekly. Especially with the extreme temperatures we're having. And change your oil and filter twice as often as the manual says. That minimum service level is designed for the fleet manager, to keep costs down for those first 3 years etc. If you are doing short runs,change your oil every 5k (find someone cheap to do it, its a €60 including oil and filter costs) not every 10 or 15k and you will find, over time, your fuel costs will be optimised and your car will be MUCH less likely to break down over the longterm. Plus keep the shop receipts and a simple notebook, and you'll get a better price for your car when you sell; as most service histories don't show maximum care of a car but merely 'minimum' care. Much like our personal health. Most of us only go in to a doctor when we're acutely sick, not to keep healthy.

+1 . I am reporting that poster and emailing McGees as well. That sort of thing is not aon. Making scurrilous remarks. Look at what happened to Willie O'Dea. People should stand up to liars and big arrogant mouths.

An Ri rua, you appear to be over reacting completely, firstly as far as i am concerned, there is a cartel operating in Tullamore, I am not sure where you are from but i invite you to visit and take a drive around. Tesco's who seem to rule the roost in this area seem to lead the way with others following their prices, i doubt anyone could contradict what i and many others are witnessing around the country right now. I travel allot and the differences to be found nationwide are quite staggering and as for transportation costs being blamed this is farce given the fact Oil companies supply their own fuel in the first place.

Mine and others points relate to the fact that quite near Tullamore, namely Birr prices are currently 1.19 and have remained so for quite some time as opposed to 1.26/1.27 in Tullamore, explain this if you can.

I do however agree with your sentiment about comments on Quality and i was happy to defend Mc Gee's who in fact supply my home heating oil and also happen to be the best value in the county and beyond.

Calm down and don't get your knickers in a twist and by all means report my comments which i believe to be objective as opposed to yours which are clearly Biased.

An Ri rua, you appear to be over reacting completely, firstly as far as i am concerned, there is a cartel operating in Tullamore, I am not sure where you are from but i invite you to visit and take a drive around. Tesco's who seem to rule the roost in this area seem to lead the way with others following their prices, i doubt anyone could contradict what i and many others are witnessing around the country right now. I travel allot and the differences to be found nationwide are quite staggering and as for transportation costs being blamed this is farce given the fact Oil companies supply their own fuel in the first place.

Mine and others points relate to the fact that quite near Tullamore, namely Birr prices are currently 1.19 and have remained so for quite some time as opposed to 1.26/1.27 in Tullamore, explain this if you can.

I do however agree with your sentiment about comments on Quality and i was happy to defend Mc Gee's who in fact supply my home heating oil and also happen to be the best value in the county and beyond.

Calm down and don't get your knickers in a twist and by all means report my comments which i believe to be objective as opposed to yours which are clearly Biased.

When did I ever say your comments were out of order Dempo1? I didn't. You've misunderstood me.

I did after all start the thread (about Tullamore, not Birr) and thanks for the invite but I know every inch of the town (remind me again why I need to drive around? To see a cartel in operation even though I worked in oil for so long? Don't follow why you have asked me that). Birr 'may' be cheaper because Flahertys own Birr Oil and perhaps they force the market price down by having a drive-in depot like in Ferbane. Plus a filling station IIRC? Also, aren't Corrib operating over there recently, having bought in? They would also rock the boat too, as any new entrant does.

My comments are biased, how by the way?? Because I say someone is wrong to slander someone? If you agree with me re the unproven sagacious allegations against someone that you obviously appreciate too, then how am I getting my knickers in a twist. Your thinking seems foggy. Definitely not congruent, what you have just written.

Perhaps a few of you need to go back to square one and read the Ts and Cs of Boards.ie. Defamation is illegal.

You are not anonymous.

This is the greatest myth of the internet. Unless you are fairly technically skilled and go to some lengths, you are by no means anonymous on the internet. If you do something illegal and the police approach us with the correct documentation (usually a court order) we will hand them everything we know about you (as we are required to do under Irish Law). This is not a platform for anonymous defamation. YOU are responsible for what YOU say.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Folks, you all need to wake up about the reality of oil distribution in Ireland.

There is a limited amount of terminals. Esso / texaco share the same one. Statoil tankers often delivered to Tesco. etc etc. Sometimes the diesel that you buy in a big name petrol station may be the exact same fuel that you despised in Tesco. Sometimes you might order heating oil from a big company and have it delivered by say tedcastles or whoever. This happens frequently.

There are minor differences in petrol and diesel quality, based on the lubricant additives that are added at Dublin or whichever terminal you choose. But it is WRONG to cast aspersions on fuel quality without having facts. City diesel is a lower grade (less additives) than what might be considered premium diesel. But casting aspersions on businesses is wrong and playing into the hands of the big boys.I merely stated that prices were out of whack. Not product. That is not just wrong, I think its also punishable now if you haven't proof for such outlandish statements.

If you are concerned about fuel usage folks, don't fill your tank fully. Keep it beween 1/4 and 3/4 full mainly. This means your car is carrying less weight. Also, check your tyre pressure weekly. Especially with the extreme temperatures we're having. And change your oil and filter twice as often as the manual says. That minimum service level is designed for the fleet manager, to keep costs down for those first 3 years etc. If you are doing short runs,change your oil every 5k (find someone cheap to do it, its a €60 including oil and filter costs) not every 10 or 15k and you will find, over time, your fuel costs will be optimised and your car will be MUCH less likely to break down over the longterm. Plus keep the shop receipts and a simple notebook, and you'll get a better price for your car when you sell; as most service histories don't show maximum care of a car but merely 'minimum' care. Much like our personal health. Most of us only go in to a doctor when we're acutely sick, not to keep healthy.

I have done some work in a number of coal yards around the ports of ireland and it is true about the similar quality of fuel in the major outlets and the independent places, after deliveries by the tankers you would see queues of different companies lorries waiting for the same product. Many people dont realise about the difference even removing excess items from the boot makes to fuel efficiencey. Also many people just put "twenty" into the car and then complain about how many miles they got from it, little realising the effect of a few cents per litre extra will have or how or where they drive. I always fill upto the top and only refill to the top again. Converting the Litres to gallons and km's to miles gives me my Mpg and its always around the same in any filling station I have used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

So when a garage tells you not to buy your fuel in Tesco or Topaz, and get it in ESSO instead, as this is affecting the emissions on your car and causing it to fail its NCT, thats a load of sh1t?

When did I ever say your comments were out of order Dempo1? I didn't. You've misunderstood me.I did after all start the thread (about Tullamore, no Birr) and thanks for the invite but I know every inch of the town (remind me again why I need to drive around? To see a cartel in operation even though I worked in oil for so long? Don't follow why you have asked me that). Birr 'may' be cheaper because Flahertys own Birr Oil and perhaps they force the market price down by having a drive-in depot like in Ferbane. Plus a filling station IIRC? Also, aren't Corrib operating over there recenlty, having bought in? They would also rock the boat too, as any new entrant does.My comments are biased, how by the way?? Because I say someone is wrong to slander someone? If you agree with me re the unproven sagacious allegations against someone that you obviously appreciate too, then how am I getting my knickers in a twist. Your thinking seems foggy. Definitely not congruent, what you have just written.Perhaps a few of you need to go back to square one and read the Ts and Cs of Boards.ie. Defamation is illegal.You are not anonymous.This is the greatest myth of the internet. Unless you are fairly technically skilled and go to some lengths, you are by no means anonymous on the internet. If you do something illegal and the police approach us with the correct documentation (usually a court order) we will hand them everything we know about you (as we are required to do under Irish Law). This is not a platform for anonymous defamation. YOU are responsible for what YOU say.</B>
    My, My, you really are quite up tight about what is essentially a matter of consumer Choice and dare i say opinion, i am unsure what the Highlighted, Bold and menacing last paragraph is about apart from being a disjointed lecture on the laws of Libel, something your clearly not familiar with. My last post was in response to your lecture and criticism of my honest opinion, none of which could be deemed as libelous, indeed i defended a particular supplier against an unfair comment about quality. Your arguments about the justification of price differentials does not stack up in the real world. I invite you read carefully back on my own postings which are certainly not libelous but in fact opinions based on fact and experience, i kind of thought this is one of the purposes of Boards.ie. I think your rant is quite hilarious and absurdly menacing. You lecture contributors about naming suppliers but yet you freely promote one particular supplier, Hmmm, perhaps there is a connection? I like other contributors will continue to form and share opinions, its just a shame about occasional distractions such as yours but this said, it adds to my enjoyment of boards.ie

My, My, you really are quite up tight about what is essentially a matter of consumer Choice and dare i say opinion, i am unsure what the Highlighted, Bold and menacing last paragraph is about apart from being a disjointed lecture on the laws of Libel, something your clearly not familiar with. My last post was in response to your lecture and criticism of my honest opinion, none of which could be deemed as libelous, indeed i defended a particular supplier against an unfair comment about quality. Your arguments about the justification of price differentials does not stack up in the real world. I invite you read carefully back on my own postings which are certainly not libelous but in fact opinions based on fact and experience, i kind of thought this is one of the purposes of Boards.ie. I think your rant is quite hilarious and absurdly menacing. You lecture contributors about naming suppliers but yet you freely promote one particular supplier, Hmmm, perhaps there is a connection? I like other contributors will continue to form and share opinions, its just a shame about occasional distractions such as yours but this said, it adds to my enjoyment of boards.ie

"i am unsure what the Highlighted, Bold and menacing last paragraph is about apart from being a disjointed lecture on the laws of Libel, something your clearly not familiar with"

I know you mean 'you're', not "your", and I think you'll find that you are the one who is, as the ad says, all mouth and no trousers.
    I had no beef with you but seeing as you are proving to be so presumptious and dimwitted: -
    1. That highlighted text is part of the Boards.ie terms and conditions. YOU obviously need to read it too Dempo. Defamation is not a matter of consumer choice, choosing a vendor is.
    2. I did NOT criticise you opinion at all. I "+1'd" your opinion. Again, I suggest that you learn the ways of online forums and also learn to read more slowly and digest what is in plain sight before you. You are defensive where you weren't even attacked. Would you cop yourself on. That's twice I've pointed it out to you now. I +1'd your post!!! Wake up! get some coffee!

I lectured contributors about DEFAMING suppliers' products and yes, there is a connection, you woolly headed confused poster, I AM A CUSTOMER!! Said it above. Just like you are.

Because they are the cheapest, some people presume (and slander) that there could be issues with their product. Just because you are clearly an amateur on the business and online forum world (proof in your own inaccuracies in reply) does not mean that others have to sink to your acceptable standards.

I am a customer of McGees. I started the thread. Saying that Tescos was a joke price-wise and pointing out how easy it is to get to McGees on the bypass now. I do it once a week while doing other business in Kilbeggan. You now imply I'm a schill. Well, just because your moral compass is clearly malfunctioning does not mean that I am a shill. Shame on you and Dempo1. You clearly are all mouth and no trousers. I worked for over 10 years in the oil trade. I know the harm that's done by slander and defamation of independents. You clearly don't. What is your experience? Of oil? Of business even? You come across as a child in the world of men, to be honest. I will prove satisfactorily to Boards.ie staff (in private) that I have no connections. I have clearly stated my position and attacked what I see as morally inept abuse of a small business that I admire on Boards.ie. So, what about you? What's your knowledge? Driving around Tullamore? If I sit up in your passenger seat, will I learn loads and loads about how business works In Tullamore?

Catch yourself on. And don't attack where you weren't attacked. Perhaps defending the small business that you said you were fond of too, and a customer (Hmmmmm? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64418202), would be a better use of your limited perception skills?

I am beginning to question your impartiality and wondered why did you start this Thread if are not prepared to listen to others opinions, you really are taking this quite personally. I too fully understand how business operates particularly as a consumer.

I also suggest you avail of the spell check facility, your rants are further complicated by misspelling. I again suggest your previous affiliation with the oil Industry is clearly clouding your Judgment, shame you have to be so personal about it.

I repeat, Mc Gee's offer excellent service and Price, Tesco's and the others in Tullamore are taking the Piss and Birr service stations continue to offer best Value, so for those who want to save almost €5 on a fill, head to Birr.

Cherrycola wrote: »
    So when a garage tells you not to buy your fuel in Tesco or Topaz, and get it in ESSO instead, as this is affecting the emissions on your car and causing it to fail its NCT, thats a load of sh1t?

Yes, I would say to either get your fuel elsewhere (the same network used to deliver to Statoil and Tesco, so presumably now Topaz & Tesco, but not for certain) or else to use a few doses of an additive to lubricate and to clear your injectors and pump (fuel system) a few weeks prior to your NCT.

I'll let you in on a secret. A lot of mechanics know very little about engine oil. The older mechanics might, through experience and a better understanding of mechanicals. Many younger mechanics dont get to see the extremes of engine wear, the use of old old engines, they get to rely on diagnostics too much and they have never done an oil course in their lives. Modern oils rarely break down. Most garages simply don't understand oil tech specs, they just go with recommended specs (hopefully!) and minimum service intervals (which is not ideal for most of our cars and which a home-based mechanic would easily sort for even warrantied car holders between 'official' services.) I used to sell lubricants, over the years. Had training from 3 different specialist outfits, one of them an MNC, the others pure lubricants manufacturers. I don't work in that industry any longer. but can tell you there's a lot of smoke and mirrors out there. Always check the specs on the side of the oil. Sometimes, its re-packaged but has come from the exact same production line and same additives added to the base oil. Fact.

• Advertisement

I am beginning to question your impartiality and wondered why did you start this Thread if are not prepared to listen to others opinions, you really are taking this quite personally. I too fully understand how business operates particularly as a consumer.

I also suggest you avail of the spell check facility, your rants are further complicated by misspelling. I again suggest your previous affiliation with the oil Industry is clearly clouding your Judgment, shame you have to be so personal about it.

I repeat, Mc Gee's offer excellent service and Price, Tesco's and the others in Tullamore are taking the Piss and Birr service stations continue to offer best Value, so for those who want to save almost €5 on a fill, head to Birr.

I did start the thread. Its a discussion on PRICES, not defamation thread on fuel quality. Which I've honestly pointed out is almost always a red herring. Opinions that amount to defamation are not allowed on Boards.ie. Attacking pricing is not defamation as its clearly public knowledge, FACT and there for comparison. You really could do with reading the basic rules of Boards.ie before you post any further. You've already clashed with a Moderator. And now you can't even recall it......... Your credibility is zero, in my view. Fresh on the boards and guns blazing.........

You're not "beginning" to question my impartiality at all. You've done it in a few threads now. You have unfairness deeply embedded in your heart Dempo1. Because I just checked your other recent posts and a moderator had to admonish you for being a self-appointed expert on oil prices nationwide http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055824178

I plus-one'd your points re McGee. I said I'd report the other poster. And you answered my objections as if they were all about you. Have you issues with differentiating between more than two people in a chat? If so, forums will be hard work for you.

You've just recommended someone drive to Birr to save a fiver. That's about as clueless as it gets, to be honest. 45 minutes each way to save a fiver....... I think this country is suffering from woolly thinkers at every level.

I got personal only after you did, by responding defensively to my statement that I would be reporting For Fork's Sake. Unless of course you stating that you are a chef and them having Fork in their name has anything to do with you believing I personally attacked you?? Does that get any closer to why you feel aggrieved? You said you "travel a lot"? As a chef? Are you on contract by the day? If not, you merely travel "regularly", to the same old places, like we all do, and occasionally you journey somewhere more exotic, here and there. Unless you are a celebrity chef of some sort. Woolly spoofy BS is all I'm hearing from your posts.

Yes, I will use the spellchecker from now on. In your case, it won't help. It can't correct misuse of like-sounding words (like your and you're which you've just repeated in your retort to this post; for the reading pleasure of others.......FFS.......).

Your hilarious and if you want to quote previous Posts get your facts right, i have never had a moderator question any of my previous Posts.

You have also got my profession wrong not that its appropriate to try and highlight same, just proves my point about you being personal about this, i actually live a little close than 45 minutes from Birr Also and i still say it would pay consumers based in or aroUNd Tullamore to shop around for better prices. Most contributors are not terribly concerned with the physics lesson around the working of an engine, they are more concerned about whats coming out of their pocket on a weekly basis.

Your thread is becoming quite a chore and i will now un subscribe, seems not that may people are interested anyway.

I think all the prices are the same in tullamore now, so its coming to the stage of getting petrol in the filling station that has the least queue (im not one for queueing for ages!)

Your hilarious and if you want to quote previous Posts get your facts right, i have never had a moderator question any of my previous Posts.

You have also got my profession wrong not that its appropriate to try and highlight same, just proves my point about you being personal about this, i actually live a little close than 45 minutes from Birr Also and i still say it would pay consumers based in or around Tullamore to shop around for better prices. Most contributors are not terribly concerned with the physics lesson around the working of an engine, they are more concerned about whats coming out of their pocket on a weekly basis.

Your thread is becoming quite a chore and i will now un subscribe, seems not that may people are interested anyway.

You're a spoofer.

I knew I'd seen your nonsensical contributions somewhere. Now I recall. You took over on a thread regarding the East End Hotel in Portarlington. You're a mouthpiece on everything and an expert on nothing.

Yes, a Mod did pull you up in the thread I referred to. You must be disingenuous if you can't simply check that out; and recall it. Post number 13 (the Mod's) 14 Yours and 15 (the Mod's), asking you why you were getting so personal. You? Getting personal? Never!!). Are you stone blind or are you the one actually shilling and can't coherently recall what you said where?? http://wwww.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055824178 Addendum: - Dempo1 DID not have a run in with a mod initially, though it appeared so due to another Boardsie using 'moderator' in their avatar......; and a Mod did step in afterwards and tell him to take a chill pill.......

Prolific posting with no quality. You also DID say in this thread that you were a chef. You also invited me to check Tullamore out by driving around and you say in other posts that you live in Laois. And now you live closeish to Birr also and so, just because you live close to Birr, posters who responded to a thread about Tullamore and Kilbeggan (a few others contributed about Birr) now should all forget about pricing within 10 minutes of their home and travel 45 minutes (at least, if they are just in Tullamore) to get to Birr to save a €5..........

Most posters are not concerned about fuel quality and engine life, eh? Possibly! But the poster that I replied to, and gave an honest, balanced and objective answer to, would have to disagree with you. Despite your attempts to bully and steer conversations, no doubt due to being a chef (travels a lot?) / chief (typo?)or a nightclub manager (travels a lot, knows lots about the oil industry?), no one here is your lackey or employee. And so, if a question is asked, and I answer it directly, we shall see if I am thanked or not and if your intervention, once again, is over-intrusive.

I think you haven't a clue of how to operate on Boards.ie. Just because you have clearly stated time on your hands (your proof; in other threads by you) doesn't mean you need to answer every post; where you can see the trees but clearly not the wood.

Please do unsubscribe. And I will try to avoid your posts elsewhere also. Your contributions are woolly, self-absorbed and often too personally involved in discussions where you have no obvious connection or contribution to make.

offaly1 wrote: »
    I think all the prices are the same in tullamore now, so its coming to the stage of getting petrol in the filling station that has the least queue (im not one for queueing for ages!)

Yes, I think its getting like that. Every now and then, a price war erupts if someone opens or re-opens or adds some extra facility to their premises etc. Or if there's a drop or rise in wholesale prices, someone passes it on quickly or someone holds on to it longer etc.

Topaz at Water Lane (when it used to be Statoil, before Sweeney) used to religiously track Tesco within a cent. That's all done from Head Office. Even when you see a small station like Kellys on Colmcille St: - that was being helped to offer such low prices by Texoil from Athlone. Often done to gain volume, fill a route and therefore leverage off that to get more houses and businesses too in a territory that's 20 miles away, and also to destabilise a competitor that's doing similar forays into your territory.

Queueing for a €1 saving etc, you're right, would be a waste of time. But for a €3-€4 saving, particularly as more and more of us may have all day and all night to fill up, with the jobs crisis as it stands, that saving may be worth it; being a hard cash saving.

Queueing for a €1 saving etc, you're right, would be a waste of time. But for a €3-€4 saving, particularly as more and more of us may have all day and all night to fill up, with the jobs crisis as it stands, that saving may be worth it; being a hard cash saving.

Honest to god, queueing for a €1 saving is wasting time, but €4-5 saving maybe.. I'll defo have to shop around a bit more, but i won't be going out of my way to buy petrol... if i was over towards eg:athlone, and petrol was cheaper of course i'd fill up, but i wouldn't be going just for that! I'd be stopping off as part of my journey.

Oh well.. Shopping around is the main point, but to be honest, i don't know if there is much shopping around to be done anymore:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I worked in the oil retail industry on and off for 10 years until a few years ago.

I have to say I take exception to that remark, as its totally unfair to say something like that online about someone who 'may' be actually using cheaper costs elesewhere to produce that price. Ever think of that? Do you know the overheads of staff costs in highly unionised oil cos like Esso etc? Sky-high. Crazy stuff.

I am reporting this post as I think to say something disingenuous like that is not on at all, without proof. I hope you have some if you are contacted via your email through Boards' staff?

When I worked for high reputation outfits, the drivers were always knocking and casting aspersions on independent outfits. Its the oldest trick in the book and you, like a fool, or worse, are falling for it.

It is simply not appropriate for someone to cast aspersions online like this. As a happy customer of theirs, with expert knowledge on the Irish oil scene, I will call your bluff.

An Ri Rua, i cant comment on their oil as iv never used it. I have my own opinions on the petrol and diesel but before you jump in defending them, can you not remember the write up in a local paper when they stopped a man (twice and quote from paper 'got quite aggressive') from doing a rutine dip on their diesel tanks???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭motorman

There is nothing sadder than arguing on a forum about nothing. Stay on topic lads and quit bickering about wording choice. And don’t write back to me with a rant of silly abuse I am not interested.

As regards Tesco I think you guys are right, they ran a reduced price to get customers under their belt which worked really well at the time. There was a constant queue there for quite some time. More recent the queue is not so apparent, bearing in mind people have less money now than they did back when it opened I might go as far as to suggest people are wise to it and doing the typical Irish thing of going somewhere else without complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

getting back to the topic... tesco and prices in tullamore I noticed an interesting trend... travelling up to dublin every week over the last year tesco in tullamore always kept their prices at around 123.9 or so even when they were 119 in most places up in dublin... and when they went up to 123 in dublin they stayed at 123 in tesco tullamore! now dont ask me why this was so.. its just something I noticed.... havent been up there in a few weeks so I will keep an eye out next week to see what the prices are in dublin now unless anyone can fill me in....
    filled up in birr oil a last week at 119.9.... 45 litres at 7c a litre cheaper than tesco as I was passing through.. thats 3.15 saved alone...if i was passing birr every week at that rate I would save 150euro a year if prices stayed like that.
    ps... on mcgees I have used it and found nothing wrong with it...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Lads I was debating in my mind weather to close this thread and delete it or leave it be. I do not see anything too damaging in it to be honest. People are entitled to air their opinion about things and while certain stations are mentioned I feel that comments mad about them were countered with other comments. I do not believe this will sway peoples opinions too much.

Keep it civil and on track. Boards.ie is a private company so if I do feel it is getting out of hand all will be deleted and people will be banned.

Advertisement