Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clocked cars - How do you know??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Clocking is not the huge problem the motor trade would have you believe.[/QUOTE]

rofl its absolutely rampant. also little city cars are clocked just as much as bmws and the like . it costs as little as ?20 to clock a car which can add from 500 to 15,000 to car prices , you do the maths .also fsh dont mean squat you can buy a garage rubber stamp for a fiver.not trying to scare anybody here but im in the car game 20 years , im just sick of rouge dealers screwing punters .[/QUOTE]

Hear hear. Agreed re service histories. very easy with scanners and stamps to put a good history together. Receipts are a much better option. In fact, I've seen so many dealers over the years who NEVER stamped books. Atrocious what goes on in little ol Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is a rouge dealer one who gets caught for clocking a car, and is a bit embarrassed about it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭scienceoverBS

RoverJames wrote: »
    Clocking is not the huge problem the motor trade would have you believe.

rofl its absolutely rampant. also little city cars are clocked just as much as bmws and the like . it costs as little as ?20 to clock a car which can add from 500 to 15,000 to car prices , you do the maths .also fsh dont mean squat you can buy a garage rubber stamp for a fiver.not trying to scare anybody here but im in the car game 20 years , im just sick of rouge dealers screwing punters .[/QUOTE]

Thank's for that, I have a grain of salt handy ;)[/QUOTE]

lol your probably a dealer . truths a bit hard to swallow.salt might help

I'm not a dealer at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭scienceoverBS

RoverJames wrote: »
    I'm not a dealer at all :)

i did say probably , although i might have been a bit hasty saying theres no honest dealers in ireland , there are a few , one of them recently went bang on the long mile road.
    so there a dying breed im afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭pops

So what, do you take a chance with an Irish dealer or try going to the UK where your chances might be a bit better? Seriously can't afford a brand new car but can't afford the time to travel to the UK. Plus I would actually like to support Irish business - aren't the dealers shooting themselves in the foot, so to speak?!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You can assume it, but it so broad a generalisation it will limit the scope of any used car search.

my car has been self serviced for years because the "dealers" do such a bad job at it.

Service history doesnt have to mean stamped by a dealer. A self serviced car with a book of receipts is a huge amount better than somethign that doesnt even have an owners manual in the glovebox.
    langdang wrote: »
    If you're shelling out any decent amount and you've time to look around then this is the ideal way to approach it!.

If everyoen insisted on service histories then it woudl become the norm because cars without it would sit in dealers and never sell. It would become very easy to find cars with histories.

JoeySully wrote: »
    Yeah they record the milage, but dont keep a record previous test milage or comment on any dropor discrepency in milage between tests.
    The data is not publicly available or to any car check company like cartell I belive.
    They might as well not do it at all.
    The brother sent a ould Audi in for test with 100K less than the last test he did and got a new cert with the lower milage. He could have sold it with 150K instead of 250K. So the Milage on a NCT is usless unless you have all the others to back it up.

As part if a fsh all the NCT certs should be there along with mileage on each. If your keeping a history why would you not keep the certs unless your hiding something? So if someone insists in a fsh then it should all match up.

Clocking is not the huge problem the motor trade would have you believe.[/QUOTE]

Ringing a garage to check th ehistory wont hold up if the guy stamped it himself though, will it?

pops wrote: »
    So what, do you take a chance with an Irish dealer or try going to the UK where your chances might be a bit better? Seriously can't afford a brand new car but can't afford the time to travel to the UK. Plus I would actually like to support Irish business - aren't the dealers shooting themselves in the foot, so to speak?!

There are loads of cars on Irish forecourts with full main dealer service histories that have not been clocked. Lots of people trade the car in where they bought it and had it serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

nobody would ever buy any interesting cars then... ;)

thats the trouble...people want "safe" cars....like corolla's..sorry bad example...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

pops wrote: »

You can support an Irish operation that imports cars and charges you a fee for it. Deliver it to your door VRT'd etc. There's a crowd in Cork, plus I'm sure there's more. You coud get the car checked by RAC etc. No need to travel !

• Advertisement
Advertisement