Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Incident

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Unfortunately if someone is intent on taking their own life a barrier in a particuler location will not stop them. They will just find somewhere more accessible

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

I know but it's better than doing nothing at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Unfortunatley if someone is intent on taking their own life a barrier in a particuler location will not stop them. They will just find somewhere more accessible
    That is true but what I've heard is that this was a tragic accident rather than a suicide. Not that is any consolation for the grieving family, I hope they find the body soon to give them closure. So sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

neo2010 wrote: »
    I know but it's better than doing nothing at all.

How so? This type of 'token' gesture but be nothing more than that and a complete waste of money which could be better used to provide those in need with valuable services which may ultimately result in them living a fulfilling life.

How so? This type of 'token' gesture but be nothing more than that and a complete waste of money which could be better used to provide those in need with valuable services which may ultimately result in them living a fulfilling life.

Well if this was a tragic accident maybe the hypothetical barriers could have prevented this from happening.

Now another poor soul has become a statistic on the death toll of the Shannon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You can't put a two metre high barrier along the entire length of the country's largest river. I can't believe this tragedy has turned into a government-bashing thread. Get some sense of perspective FFS, a young person died last night.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Well if this was a tragic accident maybe the hypothetical barriers could have prevented this from happening.

Our government has reaped the benefits of the Celtic Tiger and completely neglected the services available to people in need.

You don't even know any of the facts of this story and you are talking absolute nonsense. There is already a railing or "barrier" along by the river bank, if this was a tragic accident you can be sure that poor girl wasn't just walking along and stepped straight into the river. There was probably some drunken tomfoolery involved.

On the otherhand if it was suicide then no barrier is going to stop anyone who is intent on killing themselves from doing the deed. Do you propose maybe draining every river in the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

has anyone ever been rescued like this?
    i mean, once they're in the river. has anyone survived?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cailineile13

Unfortunately incidents are like these are the only things that really teach people not to go near rivers when drunk. A friend of mine lost his life from a similar incident. It's heartbreaking. I don't know if there were lifebelts near by, but then again, the shock & cold of the water could prevent someone in there from reaching one thrown to them in time.

If I'm out & I see people mucking about drunkenly near water, I do try and talk to them. Mostly I'm told to fcuk off, that they know what they're at, and sure they're only having the craic,but I don't care, many people don't seem to realise just how dangerous it is. Until something like this happens that is. We were "lucky" in that his body was recovered quite quickly & we didn't have the agonising period of no news other than "nothings' been found but we're still searching" for more than a few hours.

My deepest love and sympathies go out to her friends and family. RIP young lady, XxX

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Not that many have been fortunate to have been pulled out alive. I have only heard of 2 being actually rescued and thats just within the last few months.

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    You don't even know any of the facts of this story and you are talking absolute nonsense. There is already a railing or "barrier" along by the river bank, if this was a tragic accident you can be sure that poor girl wasn't just walking along and stepped straight into the river. There was probably some drunken tomfoolery involved.

On the otherhand if it was suicide then no barrier is going to stop anyone who is intent on killing themselves from doing the deed. Do you propose maybe draining every river in the country?

I only came onto this thread to pay respects to the person who lost their life.

It's not nice hearing about all these accidents and I was only proposing some preventative measures.

Also, in response to me talking absolute nonsense, some of my friends from LIT witnessed this accident last night and have told me the ''facts of the story''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

My first year in LIT 98/99 rag week, my room mate and friend, whose name I wont mention jumped in. It was over a month before he was found. I cant even begin to tell you what his family went through especially when his father had also commited suicide and it was my friend who found his fathers body. 8 months later........

To the comedian who suggested "aquaman" F**k you. :mad:

To that poor girls family, God bless you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

electron wrote: »

Someone survived in Ennis before Christmas, but of course the Fergus is a much smaller river. Every sympathy to the family and friends of this young person and much appreciation to the rescue services.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

electron wrote: »

One of the problems with rescuing people in that part of the river is the river's width and the speed of the flow/currents. I grew up in Limerick in the 70s and drownings were frequent then too. My late father witnessed a "young, well-dressed guy" (my father's words) jump in one Friday evening. When he and some friends threw him a life buoy, he deliberately swam away and went under.

Bizarrely, on the day my father died one of my oldest friends went in to the river ....he had tried before but had not had the nerve to go through with it but this time he succeeded. At least his body was recovered quickly.

I'm afraid those who have decided to do this will find a way no matter what barriers etc. are put up. Accidents however, can be avoided and every effort should be made to ensure that the docks area is as safe as possible for drivers and walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm sorry but the kettle who hasn't sinned shouldn't be throwing rocks at the pot if he lives in a glass house!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭monalitto

It's not nice hearing about all these accidents and I was only proposing some preventative measures.

Also, in response to me talking absolute nonsense, some of my friends from LIT witnessed this accident last night and have told me the ''facts of the story''.

neo2010, I think you've every right to come on to pay you're respects- & give your opinion, even if some people dont agree with you, thats their right too. Im sure that to hear of this from friends that were there was very upsetting & not nice for someone to comment that youre talking absolute nonsense. . . I think we are all upset by this tragedy, it is so sad - better that we have some thoughts for that poor girl, say a prayer for her & her family, & be more supportive to each other! isnt life hard enough??

monalitto wrote: »
    neo2010, I think you've every right to come on to pay you're respects- & give your opinion, even if some people dont agree with you, thats their right too. Im sure that to hear of this from friends that were there was very upsetting & not nice for someone to comment that youre talking absolute nonsense. . . I think we are all upset by this tragedy, it is so sad - better that we have some thoughts for that poor girl, say a prayer for her & her family, & be more supportive to each other! isnt life hard enough??

Thanks monalitto,
    I really appreciate that.

It's amazing how one can be demonized for hoping this doesn't happen again through preventative measures.

I only hope this is the last tragedy for now, if not forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

It hasn't been confirmed but hopefully it was an accident.

I simply assumed it was otherwise since a number of people have died at this river in the last few months.

Barriers or something needs to be put in place because this seems to be happening more often and it is terrible to think that some of these tragedies could be prevented.

So in an hour you went from speculating on what may or may not have happened to knowing the "facts of the story". The posts I queried were pure speculation on your part.

Anyways this isn't the thread for this, a poor young girl is dead and a family are devestated regardless of how it happened. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

So in an hour you went from speculating on what may or may not have happened to knowing the "facts of the story". The posts I queried were pure speculation on your part.

Anyways this isn't the thread for this, a poor young girl is dead and a family are devestated regardless of how it happened. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Could you please give it a rest FFS, this thread isn't about you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

A lot of people have been pulled out alive but you don't hear about it. The media only reports bad news.

Wasn't there a guy form Thomondgate who save a few people himself and he wanted a medal from the city to acknowledge his actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

It was a tragic accident, the girl was screaming for help and trying to keep above the surface. The fireman who jumped in after her was literally 6 foot from her but she went under. Hopefully they find her body soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    A lot of people have been pulled out alive but you don't hear about it. The media only reports bad news.

Wasn't there a guy form Thomondgate who save a few people himself and he wanted a medal from the city to acknowledge his actions?

The reason he never got the medal was that there was strong suspicions that he was paying people to "fall in" then he would "rescue" them and be a hero :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeteSanchez

ohdatlewis wrote: »
    It was a tragic accident, the girl was screaming for help and trying to keep above the surface. The fireman who jumped in after her was literally 6 foot from her but she went under. Hopefully they find her body soon.

is there a particular point in the river where the tide gets so strong that once u hit that spot, thats it..no hope? Like if he was only 6 feet from her when she went under, why was he not able to go in after her?
    I am only asking cos i dont know ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

is there a particular point in the river where the tide gets so strong that once u hit that spot, thats it..no hope? Like if he was only 6 feet from her when she went under, why was he not able to go in after her?
    I couldn't tell you Pete, I only got this from another forum. At least it will put all this suicide crap aside and people will realise that this was a tragic accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

ohdatlewis wrote: »
    That is the same story I heard. One of my friends told me who she was, from the Northside of the city. Think she might even have a child. Poor girl

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

Like if he was only 6 feet from her when she went under, why was he not able to go in after her?

It was too dark to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Do the mods not think that this post is way too much information and speculation and is going to be extremely upsetting to the family should they read it. I'd suggest either closing it down or deleting it altogether.... Wouldn't like to be me or mine that was being discussed like this - it's heartless and i'm revolted by the way some people are are writing some very detailed threads - NOT NICE PEOPLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

LB6 wrote: »
    Do the mods not think that this post is way too much information and speculation and is going to be extremely upsetting to the family should they read it. I'd suggest either closing it down or deleting it altogether.... Wouldn't like to be me or mine that was being discussed like this - it's heartless and i'm revolted by the way some people are are writing some very detailed threads - NOT NICE PEOPLE.
    Why should the thread be closed down? I would like it to be left open so the story can be followed through to its conclusion. Some people have made some comments which didn't go down well. The mods can delete these as appropriate but calling for the thread to be closed is unnecessary. I think you'll find the overriding sentiment on this thread is one of pity for the poor woman who has drowned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Aidric,

I'm writing as a parent of children who are now quite independent. I'd hate to read all this if it happened to my child. Maybe you don't have children. If you want to get a conclusion for this/if you want news - turn on the TV.

It's still only speculation. Stop adding fuel to a fire.

If you want to do something with some sentiment - start a thread for RIP's addressed the family and suggest nothing else should be posted in it. Much nicer than having to troll through all the HYPE in here to read them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement