Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Incident

Options
  • 16-02-2010 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like someone has gone in the river over in front of clohessys. I'm looking out of my place on a Callaghan strand and there is two ambulances, gardai and a fire brigade over there. Lot of people standing around as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

yea i can hear the chopper at the moment. im in the city center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Can hear the helicopter overhead and was wondering if some poor soul had gone in the river. Please God they'll be ok.

maybe its aquaman

removed tasteless joke.

sorry guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Icky Thump, someone's kid is in that freezing cold water...grow up.

And while another family's flowers are still fresh on Sarsfield Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Frances4019

I agree totally.That was a tasteless joke from the" new kid on the block"
    Hopefully he will never suffer the trauma of losing a loved one, and especially to that river.
    The helicopter has been there now for more than 30 minutes ( what great guys) so things not looking good......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Student involved in the LIT Rag week I believe. A terrible thing to happen, seems like they are looking for a body

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

It appears to have been a girl and a tragic accident according to some reports.

jmccoy wrote: »
    any links

Dear God what a tragedy, a girl was pulled out of the river just last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

@Icky Thump

Links???

http://www.ibi-online.org/

for shame :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭jmccoy

Icky Thump wrote: »
    any links

Word of mouth.

I can't even fathom what the persons family and friends are going through, my thoughts are with them. :(

xi wrote: »
    @Icky Thump

Links???

http://www.ibi-online.org/

for shame :mad:

oh my god:mad: that was uncalled for. i meant links from breaking news.

tut tut been signed up to a web site like that:eek: they wouldnt let me join:rolleyes:

Word of mouth.

I can't even fathom what the persons family and friends are going through, my thoughts are with them. :(
    hopefully she will be ok

Icky Thump wrote: »
    hopefully she will be ok
    I don't think there will be a happy ending unfortunately, very upsetting news.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

I saw what happened first hand and to be honest it was and still is absolutely gut renching, to see a young woman so close to being rescued and to drown like that.
    All I can say is God bless you my dear who ever you are and my whole hearted sympathies to your family and friends.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ohdatlewis

Thats absolutely tragic and as a student in UL it kind of hits home. I have been out many nights in Limerick and to think that this could just as easily be me or someone that I know scares the bajaysus out of me. (Assuming) this is an alcohol related incident you must wonder about the future of rag weeks. 7 alcohol related deaths in UCC alone last year is terrifying and now this, only weeks after someone else was taken victim by the same ferocious river... Scary society we're living in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aud27

This is just tragic, i live right by the river and could hear the helicopter flying around & then looked out to see the search and rescue boats in the river,

The last I heard the search had been called off until this morning. have not seen or heard anything as of yet, I did see hear/see an ambulance coming from the direction of howleys quay. I pray to god by some miracle that they have rescued the young girl,
    My thoughts and prayers are with her family at this time x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

Jesus this is horrible news, her poor friends and family.

I didn't know another person was pulled from the river last week, does anyone have a link.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Strange there has been no mention of this on any news bulletin yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭monalitto

Oh god, I live in Punch's Cross & could hear the hellecopter last night, never realizing that while I was safe in my bed, such a terrible tragedy was happening down there. God help her & her poor family, my heart goes out to them & to those people who were down there last night trying to save her - a great dept of gratitude is owed to them .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Tragic news.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The search has resumed this morning, and the divers have gone under the water again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

UL communications department has issued an email to students asking anyone with information to come forward. It was a girl in her late teens and it happened by Clohessys alright. Sad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

Something seriously needs to be done about this.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

BravoMike wrote: »
    I saw what happened first hand and to be honest it was and still is absolutely gut renching, to see a young woman so close to being rescued and to drown like that.
    All I can say is God bless you my dear who ever you are and my whole hearted sympathies to your family and friends.

R.I.P.

What did happen? Was this as accident or suicide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

neo2010 wrote: »

Something seriously needs to be done about this.

Such as?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

It hasn't been confirmed as a suicide, it may have been an accident.
    Please be sensitive towards those left behind when making such statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

What did happen? Was this as accident or suicide?

I do not know how she ended up in the water or the circumstances surrounding it. The first time I saw her she was already in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭neo2010

It hasn't been confirmed but hopefully it was an accident.

I simply assumed it was otherwise since a number of people have died at this river in the last few months.

Barriers or something needs to be put in place because this seems to be happening more often and it is terrible to think that some of these tragedies could be prevented.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement