Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths sample paper

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

felic wrote: »
    Is this a joke? You have GOT to be kidding me with this!
    This paper could be done by someone in 6th class of Primary school.. with a little bit of work.
    Well..... It's not THAT easy :pac:

It looks far too dumbed down compared to the current test and I'm saying that being only in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭xxmeabhxx

I envy people who get to do this paper instead of the normal paper 2. They shouldn't be dumbing down honours maths! In primary school maths was a breeze, a bit tricky in the junior cert and now hons leaving cert maths is really difficult! They should cover more in primary school and the junior cert so the jump from junior to leaving doesn't seem so big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭myfatherrsson

Was there even any differentiation in there?? jesus if they left that out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Presumably it'll be in Sample Paper 1, along with algebra,complex numbers and all the stuff that was in the old paper 1. Taking calculus off the Leaving Cert Higher level course is unthinkable. The most notable thing was the absence of the option questions; no moreMaclaurin series or integration by parts, by the looks of things. Which is a pure backward step if that's the case.

I'd agree with the consensus that the paper seems to be far too dumbed down. I appreciate them wanting to introduce the contexts/applications parts but not when it comes at the expense of a hell of a lot of material.

The biggest worry, as has been pointed out, is that this paper will totally fail to prepare anyone who's planning to do maths, science or engineering at college. Hopefully these sample papers will be fixed up before the entire syllabus is introduced. Otherwise I dread to think what'll happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

That's in Paper 1 two full questions,
    there is no projects maths for paper 1 we are doing the regular P.1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭The___________

Presumably it'll be in Sample Paper 1, along with algebra,complex numbers and all the stuff that was in the old paper 1. Taking calculus off the Leaving Cert Higher level course is unthinkable. The most notable thing was the absence of the option questions; no moreMaclaurin series or integration by parts, by the looks of things. Which is a pure backward step if that's the case.

I'd agree with the consensus that the paper seems to be far too dumbed down. I appreciate them wanting to introduce the contexts/applications parts but not when it comes at the expense of a hell of a lot of material.

The biggest worry, as has been pointed out, is that this paper will totally fail to prepare anyone who's planning to do maths, science or engineering at college. Hopefully these sample papers will be fixed up before the entire syllabus is introduced. Otherwise I dread to think what'll happen.

This was a sample paper that we did in early Nov I'm sure that with the feedback gained by the SEC the actual Leaving Cert paper will be a fair bit more difficult than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/todaywithpatkenny/ podcast from pat kenny show this morning about project maths

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

What is project maths?

What is project maths?

the new maths syllabus in 24 pilot schools now and nationwide from september

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

This is totally unfair.People doing this new course have a much better chance of getting into college because that is just piss easy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

pathway33 wrote: »

Those were the papers that we were given for the mocks!

Jaysus..I'm doing OL but even I think the HL paper doesnt look too hard! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Ffs, that must be a piss take. Tbh, I'm glad I'm doing the old course now. It may be more abstract (and clearly more difficult), but at least I know that when finished, I'll have adequate skills in diffcal, vectors, trig, the line and probability and stats (I'm doing two option questions so that new prob doesn't really say much).

I feel sorry for anyone hoping to do maths, science or engineering. If that paper's anything to go by, ye've been royally fúcked up the arse by the SEC.

This whole idea of maths being more applicable kinda confuses me. I mean I do applied maths and I can see most of the stuff we learn in normal maths being used in realish life situations. Perhaps what they should do is remodel the app maths course (it's about 35 years old afaik) to include probability so that we can still learn a bit of theory in normal maths.

I think given our current situation, a few recession based app maths questions wouldn't go amiss.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Have they gotten rid of Probability? I for one hate probability, as you don't know whether you are right or wrong. I love all the other parts of the Maths course, especially Trigonometry and Integration (but the Trig in the PM paper is ridiculous - it's not even real maths).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

Have they gotten rid of Probability? I for one hate probability, as you don't know whether you are right or wrong. I love all the other parts of the Maths course, especially Trigonometry and Integration (but the Trig in the PM paper is ridiculous - it's not even real maths).

Nah, prob is still there but it seems very different to what we do now in questions 6 and 7. That first question is more like question 9 tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

This exam is weird. Will I have to take it if I do my LC in 2012?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

Cian92 wrote: »
    Just looked at the higher level paper, WOW - the most dumbed down thing I ever saw... If only I was young enough to do it. I can't bring myself to even look at the ordinary level paper.

I just double checked to see if it was the LC version I was looking at. It is.

same here, I had to double check to see if I was looking at the HL paper!
    :eek:
    it's ridiculous! I'm actually glad that I won't be here for the project maths. It's stupid, literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

does this mean people doing the good old fashioned paper two this year will get less A's as the new project maths seems ridiculously easy to do better in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

YOU BÁSTARDS!!! I wish I was born in 1992!

www.projectmaths.com <<<<<<<<<<<<< more about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I know it's easier, but it looks like they are testing people's understanding of the terminology of the mathematical methods rather than people's ability of remembering the procedures of methods and proofs.

It's still too easy. And I can't imagine maths without vectors, matrices and further calculus. Those are my favourite parts about honours maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I'm LC 2012, and recently my maths teacher gave us an overview of the course.

It may be a hell of a lot easier than the old paper, and we may be marked easier, but our disadvantage seems to be that no work will be put into teaching us. For the month or so we've been doing Project Maths it's just been go to class->sit down->get worksheet->do worksheet with no explanation from teacher->repeat if necessary.

Waste of time really. I'd nearly rather do actual work so I'm not bored out of my mind.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I think everybody is a bit quick to judge it, saying it's too easy and all. Remember, it never has been examined yet. We really can't comment on the level of difficulty until next September when the paper and marking scheme will available. As a previous poster said, they still have to maintain a bell curve of results, so as there will be more people at A-standard, the marking may be very hard, therefore a student who might get a C in the current course, might get a D in the PM paper due to all the A/B students 'pushing' them down the curve - if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

I think everybody is a bit quick to judge it, saying it's too easy and all. Remember, it never has been examined yet. We really can't comment on the level of difficulty until next September when the paper and marking scheme will available. As a previous poster said, they still have to maintain a bell curve of results, so as there will be more people at A-standard, the marking may be very hard, therefore a student who might get a C in the current course, might get a D in the PM paper due to all the A/B students 'pushing' them down the curve - if you know what I mean.

Hold on, weren't you making fun of the paper a few pages ago? Or did you analyse the potential of the new course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

But more people will be able for it, so those who would've been getting Bs will get As, and those who would've been getting Cs will get Bs while some who wouldn't have been able to do higher level will now get a C. Even if it is still a bell-curve the aim is to get more people doing the subject at higher level so it's still inflating the grades overall.

Ruski wrote: »
    Hold on, weren't you making fun of the paper a few pages ago? Or did you analyse the potential of the new course?

Yes, I was saying the Sample paper was ridiculously easy. But that doesn't give an indication to the actual grades, as nobody has properly sat the paper yet. (The mocks do not count!)
    amacachi wrote: »
    But more people will be able for it, so those who would've been getting Bs will get As, and those who would've been getting Cs will get Bs while some who wouldn't have been able to do higher level will now get a C. Even if it is still a bell-curve the aim is to get more people doing the subject at higher level so it's still inflating the grades overall.
    That's true as well. I didn't really think of that!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

There is a huge disadvantage in this new paper for those wishing to go on to do Engineering or any other maths course in college, because they will have a huge amount of work to catch up on in college - more time will be dedicated to maths that should have been done in second level. I don't think enough thought has been given to that aspect. I'm surprised that the colleges haven't done something about it

The present course has become way easier, I would have preferred that they would have made that course easier than introducing this new one. I remember about three years ago saying that the higher level paper of the 00's was comparable to the ordinary papers of the early 90's. It'll be introduced in first year so that the students will be following it for 5/6 years

the argument there that it will get more people doing higher level - higher is supposed to challenge the students, not make it very easy for all to get A's. Even with the bell curve that they have to fit into, if a student gets the completely correct answer they have to give them full marks. With this, more students are gonna get the right answer because the paper is easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I couldn't answer most of what I saw and I did HL maths for my LC last year :o

Then again I refused to do any probability or statistics so that's probably why I couldn't do the first part.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Seanh111

Well as someone who got an a2 in HL maths last year, and who is doing a maths module in college now this paper is just a joke.

Firstly its unfair to peole like me, who did or are still doing the 'old' paper 2, and I know what has been said about the same number of people getting a's etc. but if more people are doing HL (and they will because its been dumbed down) they will be getting more cao points, and even a HL maths bonus for UL courses!

Secondly in college we do integration by parts and mac clauren series compulsory, it doesnt even seem to be an option on this paper? Anyone who has done this maths course will find maths very difficult in 3rd level, and in my course (biochem) maths is the easiest module!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We can however comment on what appears in the paper and, more importantly, what does not.

I couldn't care less about what grades this paper produces. They can mark it like the devil himself and that won't do a thing to change the problems with it.

Advertisement