Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Project Maths sample paper

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Wow. don't really understand how it's fair for these people to be taking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

Just looked at the higher level paper, WOW - the most dumbed down thing I ever saw... If only I was young enough to do it. I can't bring myself to even look at the ordinary level paper.

I just double checked to see if it was the LC version I was looking at. It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Wow! :eek: I thought I might've clicked on the pass paper by accident. It seems very user-friendly anyway, with space of the question paper for answers. It's pretty much bursting with practicality, very little abstract stuff in it at all! I'm incredibly jealous I missed out on this course. :( It's gonna be unfair for the crowd who have to take the normal honours paper 2 against those who take this honours paper 2.

I don't think it's very watered-down, I can't do alot of questions on it (well, I'm only in 5th year), but it's very practical and seems quite interesting. I'm pretty impressed in it, it'll make maths much more interesting I think. I'm sickened I'm not doing it.

EDIT: What the hell?! Have a look at page 12 question 8! There's questions harder than that on the JC course!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

I'm taking this at OL :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

What the **** was that? This country and its education system is screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

There's barely any real maths on that paper. What the hell are they doing!? Dumbing it down isn't going to get anybody anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Can't believe the differences between our course and this one :eek: Seems so much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm sorry,but that,to me,is a joke. I am completely speechless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

And apparently we'll be marked easier too because we're the first year taking it!
    Well thats what one of the people involved in project maths told us , that we'll be 'looked after' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Aww come on! That higher paper is a joke!

Why do they have to make changes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

ciano1 wrote: »
    And apparently we'll be marked easier too because we're the first year taking it!
    Well thats what one of the people involved in project maths told us , that we'll be 'looked after' :)
    That kinda makes me sick tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Evan93

I thought they were supposed to be making maths harder?

If this is evidence that maths is becoming more difficult for the student then the government are wrong once again.

The paper is ridicusouly easy for an honours paper. The full co-ord geometry question is like a part (a) of the normal maths paper.

Whats's the story with this project maths, is it being implemented in every school over the next number of years or is it only for an exclusive number of schools or what?

I heard they were making it easier but that is a bit over the top imo. Transition years in my school are starting it now and i know that my maths teacher hates teaching it. She thinks it's a bit ridiculous for people who have learned how to maths one way for three years and then to learn a whole different way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Evan93 wrote: »
    Whats's the story with this project maths, is it being implemented in every school over the next number of years or is it only for an exclusive number of schools or what?

Every 5th year (i.e 2012 LCers) will be starting project maths from september. There's 5 strands to project maths and the 2012 LCers will do strands 1 and 2 of project maths. I presume they will do the relevant bits of the current syllabus then until strands 3,4,5 are implemented.

It'll be september 2012 before the entire 5th year cohort (2014 LCers) are studying the entire project maths syllabus.

That's how it's all going to work out....i think :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

So is this course completely replacing the current maths?
    ...I guess that's one way to encourage people to take up honours...

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I heard they were making it easier but that is a bit over the top imo. Transition years in my school are starting it now and i know that my maths teacher hates teaching it. She thinks it's a bit ridiculous for people who have learned how to maths one way for three years and then to learn a whole different way.

I agree, the current LC syllabus builds on the JC syllabus - there is no real point in changing the syllabus from 3rd year, it should have been brought in in first year rather than 5th year.

I agree, the current LC syllabus builds on the JC syllabus - there is no real point in changing the syllabus from 3rd year, it should have been brought in in first year rather than 5th year.

Yeah it makes sense to do it like that. I think it's a bit strange how much of a jump it is from the honours course in both tests :confused: You wouldn't know it was an honours leaving cert paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. I would absolutely love to hear what my old maths teacher has to say about it.

It's also nothing short of disgraceful that some students will be getting points from this toward their CAO applications over the next few years while others won't, it's a handy extra few points.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

amacachi wrote: »
    That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. I would absolutely love to hear what my old maths teacher has to say about it.

It's also nothing short of disgraceful that some students will be getting points from this toward their CAO applications over the next few years while others won't, it's a handy extra few points.

I'm gonna end up teaching this syllabus soon, and I'm planning on heading into my old school to have a chat with my old maths teacher about it.

I agree that it is unfair that the students sitting the paper will benefit from an easier paper, but what I would love to see is the marking scheme - will the marking scheme be harder than the established paper to even the papers up? Especially at honours level, with the fact that UL offer an extra 40 points per A1 @ honours (which I presume they will still do)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'm gonna end up teaching this syllabus soon, and I'm planning on heading into my old school to have a chat with my old maths teacher about it.

I agree that it is unfair that the students sitting the paper will benefit from an easier paper, but what I would love to see is the marking scheme - will the marking scheme be harder than the established paper to even the papers up? Especially at honours level, with the fact that UL offer an extra 40 points per A1 @ honours (which I presume they will still do)

My maths teacher when I was starting 5th year in 2005 was giving out loads about the most recent "changes to" (read: "Bits removed from") the higher level course at that point, so I'd love to see the reaction to this. I'm not sure how much they're removing from the syllabus but the paper just looks absolutely ridiculous.
    To be perfectly honest if I were a maths teacher I would be very annoyed for a number of reasons, not least because I would feel that my worth had been massively devalued. Though maybe that's just me. :)

Trouble is there'll be a lot of people who would have been doing ordinary level who will now do higher, so they will account for those getting low Cs and below, while those who would be getting a C now could easily get a high B to an A.

• Advertisement

Especially at honours level, with the fact that UL offer an extra 40 points per A1 @ honours (which I presume they will still do)

Can't see them continuing to do this seeing as they did that merger thing with Galway today, that is unless Galway start offering extra points as well.

Can't see them continuing to do this seeing as they did that merger thing with Galway today, that is unless Galway start offering extra points as well.

What merger? could u give me a link?

what I would love to see is the marking scheme

tis underneath the sample papers in the 111 page trialling report. Higher marking scheme starts page 12 i think.

Hope you're sitting down reading it ;)

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0215/education.html

pathway33 wrote: »
    tis underneath the sample papers in the 111 page trialling report. Higher marking scheme starts page 12 i think.

Hope you're sitting down reading it ;)

What a confusing marking scheme! What is most remarkable about this whole project maths thing is the huge step that they have taken away from current curriculum design (which is actually a topic we are covering at the moment). The way it used be was that a draft syllabus was drawn up, put out for consultation and changed on those recommendations, and the exam came out of it, whereas the exam is coming from a draft syllabus itself, so I can definitely see change in the paper over the next few years.

I'm gonna have a proper read through the whole thing in the morning, the syllabus and all, and post back as to my thoughts on it. I've a feeling that this won't be the last major educational change we will see in Ireland, the curriculum at both junior and senior cycle is undergoing a major review at the moment!

Quote from page 109 paragraph 2 of the trialling report:

"Any of the questions or question parts on the Foundation level sample paper could equally well appear on the Ordinary or Higher level papers." :p

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

wow, that just makes me sick. Now there will be people doing that course that will get an A or B when they would fail the older course. It is so much easier than our course, that I could nearly go to the high court over it! It is a disgrace we are doing our course at the same time as this one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Hmmm, merger seems like much too strong a word tbh ...

In any case, if you / anybody wishes to discuss this / the possible implications for current LC students, I would suggest a new thread. :)

Though I'm not sure that brief statement really gives much to discuss as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mercury127

The bell curve will still be adhered to, marking will be merciless.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I read through some posts here before opening the pdf of the higher paper, but nothing that was said prepared me for what I saw. I am speechless. I really can't believe what they've done to paper two.

The aim of project maths was, I thought, to improve mathematical standards in our LCers. I can't see how these changes will do this- it has been dumbed down quite considerably. If there was to be an intermediary paper between higher and ordinary, this is probably how I would envisage it. But I'd never have thought that this would be of higher level standard.

The whole thing seems very messy. Looking at the marking scheme, I don't like the subjectivity that seems to be creeping in. I liked maths because, for the most part, you were either on the right track, or you weren't. This whole full credit/high partial credit/mid partial credit/low partial credit is something I don't like. I also don't think it is a good idea having to fill out the answers in the spaces provided. Maths often, if not always, requires a few attempts at a question before you can get a correct answer. But you are only given one picture of the pylon in q8 to draw around- it could get very messy if you change your mind about how you'll answer the question after marking in. Even in the normal, non-diagramattic questions you could need a few attempts at a question, and the whole business of writing in the additional space at the back is just troublesome, and undoubtedly harder to correct.

On a personal level, I dont' like the new emphasis on statistics and probability in paper two. They're topics that I didn't particularly like when I did HL Maths two years ago. Paper two was my favourite paper, because of the different emphasis to paper one. Paper one was fairly abstract and numerically based- algebra, sequences and series etc. Paper two was more geometrically based- co-ordinate geometry, vectors, etc. But now paper two is gone all numerical as well.

Another thing I personally don't like is the lack of choice. I know there were complaints with the old course about teachers chopping and choosing which areas would or wouldn't be covered, and this is probably the reason for making everything compulsory now. But nearly every other exam, (if not every other exam) has some form of choice. Some people just do not like, or find specific chunks of the course harder than others. As I said, I personally hated probability.

Phew! Sorry about the length of my rant!

Advertisement