Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

I always think the worst of things so naturally I'm pretty nervous even at the thought of going to one,will see what the psych says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Going to see my psych and nurse support tomorrow. Really not up for it. While I'm not a socially anxious person usually, I've spent all weekend hidden in my house playing video games. Texting friends but no desire to be outside or with me.

Mortified that tomorrow I go back to my psych and have to tell her that things in my life just aren't working out. It's pathetic. Thanks for screwing me over rapture! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Need a job, need a job, need a job. There's a big huge ball of panic in my stomach right now, just bursting to get out. I want to scream, shout, kick things, cry my eyes out hysterically, run away as fast as I can - just anything to relieve the stress of how I feel inside. I just want to work and I've to jump through hoops all over the place to get a job - find an opening, send a CV, hope to get an interview, go in and say all the right things....ARGH. Why can't I just work??I'm a good worker, I'll do anything, I'm well-educated....why do I constantly have to keep trying to prove myself?

I'm so, so tired of fighting this uphill battle (and no, there's no thought of suicide. Just want someone to sort this ****e out for me, coz what I'm doing doesn't seem to be working.And I'm so worried).

Feel okay so far this week,have to go to a family thing at the weekend up in Galway which I'm dreading though.My psych said he didn't want me going to the meetings yet cos it might set me back if I've a bad experience at one of them,I'll stick with the online support groups for now I spose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Feel okay so far this week,have to go to a family thing at the weekend up in Galway which I'm dreading though.My psych said he didn't want me going to the meetings yet cos it might set me back if I've a bad experience at one of them,I'll stick with the online support groups for now I spose.

crap. well do you trust he knows what's best for you? what's your online support group, if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

Yeah he hasn't done me wrong yet so I do trust him,sort of!
    It's the Aware online support group:

http://www.aware.ie/help/online_supports/online_support_groups/

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭MrMojoRising

If anyone had told me 16 years ago, that I'd still be feeling this way right now, I would have laughed in their face. Yet here I am, still on anti-d's, and still no sign of it ever going away. That to me is the worst thought right now. How futile it seems to be, - trying to fight it. I honestly don't think its ever going to go away.

However, I'm forcing myself to go for CBT sessions now in the hope that I can at least learn to cope with things better, and eventually get off meds for good.

Apparently this can be achieved with 6 sessions. We shall see....

Anyone else have experience with CBT?

Yeah he hasn't done me wrong yet so I do trust him,sort of!
    It's the Aware online support group:

http://www.aware.ie/help/online_supports/online_support_groups/

thank you. i went on for a bit. might go back, not sure yet.

thank you. i went on for a bit. might go back, not sure yet.

No bother,I go on maybe once a week,or more if something is bothering me,just to hear other peoples advice and opinions on stuff.It can a little full on sometimes though.

No bother,I go on maybe once a week,or more if something is bothering me,just to hear other peoples advice and opinions on stuff.It can a little full on sometimes though.

Well I just found it fairly unhelpful.i'll probably give it another go sometime.

Considering give this group session a go too.but very very nervous even thinking about it.

• Advertisement

I found it a bit crap for a good few weeks til I got used to it.

Am slightly glad that my psych said going to an actual meeting wasn't a good idea for me just yet, cos I was really worrying about going to one in the day or two before I said it to the psych.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Back in work today for the first time in a couple of days (was on a course).Almost paralysed with fear,I'm just sick and tired of feeling like this.I've got the number of some CBT counsellors near my home so I'm going to give them a call.I'm at the stage where I'd try anything..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Back in work today for the first time in a couple of days (was on a course).Almost paralysed with fear,I'm just sick and tired of feeling like this.I've got the number of some CBT counsellors near my home so I'm going to give them a call.I'm at the stage where I'd try anything..

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Plumeria

My psychiatrist has just started me on Zispin 15mg. If anyone here has been on it, I'd be interested to hear how you find/found it.
    I found it a bit crap for a good few weeks til I got used to it.

Am slightly glad that my psych said going to an actual meeting wasn't a good idea for me just yet, cos I was really worrying about going to one in the day or two before I said it to the psych.

It's kinda nice to hear you got permission to preserve your sanity :).

It's hard to get the right balance between pushing myself and preserving myself. And it's hard to know in advance whether a situation is going to be just a bit uncomfortable, or overwhelming to the point where I just feel worse about myself and even less confident in my 'progress'.

It's an issue that bothers me sometimes, and people can, with the best of intentions, throw casual advice around about "pushing" yourself at every opportunity when actually it's not always the best thing for you. I've probably thrown the same advice at others myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Plumeria wrote: »
    My psychiatrist has just started me on Zispin 15mg. If anyone here has been on it, I'd be interested to hear how you find/found it.

I was on it for a while. Made me feel dizzy, disorientated. I couldn't concentrate on anything in the beginning. Felt really tired basically. It seems to be a lot of trial and error when it comes to finding the right anti-d. I hope the Zispin is good for you though!

Novella wrote: »
    I was on it for a while. Made me feel dizzy, disorientated. I couldn't concentrate on anything in the beginning. Felt really tired basically. It seems to be a lot of trial and error when it comes to finding the right anti-d. I hope the Zispin is good for you though!

Thanks Novella. I've only taken it twice so far and it's just making me slightly tired. These meds work so differently on everyone. Still hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Well, I made the plunge and I've booked my first counselling session for one week from now. Was quite nervous about even dialling the number. Here hoping it goes well and I don't need to do it for too long, between that and meds it will cost a fair chunk of my income.

I've no clue if this is in the right place or if this is even acceptable here so mods do what you will.

I have been suffering from anxiety for years and have gone down various different routes of trying to get the correct diagnosis.

When I was younger it was thought that I had mild depression and agoraphobia(I was put on fluxotine and valium but didn't want to take them), this then changed to emotionally unstable (someone came to this conclusion after taking to for 20 minutes after I had been experiencing a panic attack for four hours)- which apparently we're unfounded this time around and it was thought that I had a panic/anxiety disorder.

My life is just mistake after mistake due to fear. I have already dropped out of one college course and now due to a mistake in the referral process I am about to drop out of another. I've never had problems with work or when I was in school, but I keep having this feeling that all the lecturers are purely there to fail me. I'm so self concious I find it hard to leave the house, any social outing leads to weeks of going over every word that I've said when out analysing it again and again to make sure I wasn't rude or making a show of myself. This has led to panic attacks when I think i've been stupid or offensive. I've been self harming on and off since I was 16(this i believe is the only reason emotionally unstable traits were given, I was also hearing things being said about me that were unfounded at the time). I am in my early twenties now and this feeling that I am hated by everyone has never left me.

Two years ago I went through schema therapy for 6 months, it made little or no difference to my life. I was willing to give therapy a go instead of medication that time round.

I have an awful feeling that the medical profession are not taking me seriously. My usual doctor was not present when I went back to the doctors a few months ago, the doctor I did see made some quip about emotionally unstable people and about traits that I don't have as my information had been deleted from the system. He said that all they could do was refer me and he could only give me a doctors note for a week, he didn't even enquire what was wrong, I told him I wanted to get things sorted before **** really hit the fan again and I had ruined another year of education. He told me to call the place that I had attended for schema therapy myself and to just go back there, I then asked him to write me a referral letter as I was not sure that I could just ring up. There was an issue with printing out the doctors note so I was asked to call back later for it. When I went back to collect the doctors note he had written that I could not attend college due to "emotional issues". I was very offended by this and seen it as basically calling me nonsensical and hysterical.

So the next day I called the counciling service to be told that not only does a psychiatrist have to make the call for you. I was also in the wrong catchment area. Shouldn't the doctor have known this? This made me feel embarrassed and wondering why I should even bother.

This lead to a three month pinging between services till I was finally referred to appropriate place, another psychiatrist. All she had was my name and address, absolutely no other information had been provided from the doctor I seen or the councilling service I had attended. She thought that I had an anxiety/panic disorder with very very low self esteem and that the only emotionally unstable trait I have is acting impulsively when distressed thus leading to self harm. I expressed my disdain at the diagnosis of emotional unsuitability as I am not manipulative and thinking that I was made me feel far worse. I was told to come back in a week when college had completely finished to see if I would be more relaxed and we could discuss medication/councilling.

In the meantime I found out from the college that the doctors notes I did have were not enough and that i'd basically have to see each lecturer individually and plead my case (this is something I REALLY REALLY can't do). So I've come to the decision that I'm just going to drop out and try college in a few years time when I have finally gotten over all this fear/guilt/worry business. This has me feel much better as I don't have to worry about every going back there or seeing anyone from my class ever again. But I still feel guilty and unreal most of the time.

So I went back to the phycistrist a few days ago. She said that I seemed better, still very very nervous but the whole college thing being gone off my mind seemed to help and she didn't think I needed medication and referred me to their phycology department instead. I have to go back and see her in another few weeks to see how things have panned out.

So after all that heres my question!! :)

I found schema therapy to be no help at all and I am afraid that this time the therapy will be the same and will not help me at all further delaying me getting on with my life.

I wanted to try medication this time around as college may be gone but I still have obsessive thoughts over situations and a general fear/untrust of everyone bar my boyfriend. I didn't know how to say this at the last appointment and came out of there thinking that it was just one big plot to make me kill myself as I'm just wasting resources and taking time away from people who actually need help. (This stems for the visit to the doctor who fecked up the referral, that if I wasn't in a bad way would he have taken me seriously?)

I came home very upset that I wasn't even allowed give medication a try. My boyfriend completely lost the rag with me for the first time ever(he had an awful day himself that day) saying that every one hated life it wasn't just me. No one is happy and I should just take the councilling that I never do anything to help myself.

So what do I do?

Am I just negative and bring all of this on myself? How to I tell the psychiatrist that I do want help but I have a severe fear that councilling will just take more time from my life and not work and I would like medication?

Told my family that I've the flu to avoid going to a family re-union up in Galway,feel a bit ****ty about lying and skipping yet another family thing.

I have been on an antidepressant for the past 10 years. First it was lustral then changed to lexapro. Last months haven't been great and the psych added a small dose of lithium to the mix. Lithium isnt there for bipolar I dont have bipolar - it is there to boost the antidepressant. Feel worse now and wondering is the lithium making me even worse. To the mods - I dont want advice on whether to stay or come off. I will be consulting with my psych re that.
    Questions are
    a. What are people's experience with lithium .
    b. If this combo doesnt work I'm going to ask him to change from lexapro to another SSRI. Has anyone found that a SSRI like lexapro worked for a while then stopped working.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

I feel like i'm just constantly low lately. a few things have happened over the past few days and well, i don't even want to say (type) the things i'm thinking. I feel like i'm stuck. I could try talk to my friend, and i know he would talk, but i'll get more upset, and i have to get up at 7am. and i've a stupid interview tomorrow, and i can't be tired for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I only seem to post here when things are bad, so I'll break this cycle :P

Been doing really well lately. Think my last counselor was the best I've seen and really did help me to put a lot of things into perspective. Stopped seeing her about a month ago cause there wasn't much left to say, and have really taken on board what we worked on. My motivation is still low, can't seem to get things done, but I'm starting to think thats more due to laziness than mood.

Mood has been pretty steady lately too. Only had a few bad days, and I think maybe I make dramatics out of these days. One little thing goes wrong and I take to my bed. I know its easy to say now that I'm in a good mood and we'll see what happens the next little hiccup, but I do let things drag me down a lot more than they should, and there's no real reason for me to react as badly as I do. But even my bad days are a lot better than they used to be, and I recover a lot faster too.

Thinking a lot more rationally too, if that makes sense. Pretty embarrassed by a lot of my crazy behavior during my meltdowns over the past year or so. But sure can't change what happened so just trying to deal with it and move on. Lost a few people in my life, not sure if things can be fixed there but trying to focus on other people. Still a few worries on my mind, but trying not to dwell on them.

Pretty hopeful about the future, if I could get the motivation to get a few important things done! Haven't been thinking about coming off my meds, doctor said to give it till early next year before we discuss it again. Was a disaster the last time so just gonna stick with it and try not to think much, cause I know it will upset me.

Long post over!

Was feeling okay and slightly positive for the first time in ages up until Friday,bumped into my ex's best friend and she was talking about how herself was getting on now,just raked up lots of bad/old feelings I spose.Have felt really low and negative over the past few days now,no motivation to do anything besides lie on my bed.

It's crap,everytime I'm just starting to feel okay something happens and knocks me back again,wish I could just function like a normal person and not constantly negatively over analyse every minute detail of my life.

Was feeling okay and slightly positive for the first time in ages up until Friday,bumped into my ex's best friend and she was talking about how herself was getting on now,just raked up lots of bad/old feelings I spose.Have felt really low and negative over the past few days now,no motivation to do anything besides lie on my bed.

It's crap,everytime I'm just starting to feel okay something happens and knocks me back again,wish I could just function like a normal person and not constantly negatively over analyse every minute detail of my life.

well that could be considered a significant downer ( and I don't mean that in the way other people use it). how's the new position working out for you?

I really wish people were more understanding about this. I mean even people on here call me attention seeking and dramatic, I just don't know what to do about it. One thing I know I'm not is attention seeking, I get how I come across as dramatic, though the reality is I can't help for now that I can't handle things. and it seems to be one thing after another lately. well for the past 6 months moreso.

I had a fairly bad night last night, and I still had to be up at 7 for work. and now my eyes are all puffed up, and that won't go away until tomorrow, but i have an interview today after work. and I look like ****. so i've probably ruined my chances of getting this job. but then i'm not even sure I want it. the thought of changing every thing again makes me very nervous. I'd probably be better if i just stuck to this job till it ends in a bit and try update my skills on the side. trouble is that takes motivation, and unfortunately boards has become my social life, as pathetic as that is. i'm just constantly stuck in a rut, because I don't make decisions.

I think anybody who has even a tiny bit of intelligence would see that you aren't an attention seeker or being dramatic,you can't help the way that you feel.

The idea of change makes me very anxious and I'm not getting on too well at all in my new place in work.

The actual work is fine,just filing and doing invoices and stuff,but the people who I work with don't seem too fond of me,they've all been working there for years and are very cliqish,throw in the fact that I'm very nervous around new people and always say the wrong things and it's kinda hell for me at the moment tbh.I'm glad that I still have a place to occupy me everyday and all,but I dread going in there every morning.Just feel quite hopeless at the moment,I'm seeing my psych again on Friday so hopefuly he'll have some suggestions to help me feel a bit better.

So what do I do?

Am I just negative and bring all of this on myself? How to I tell the psychiatrist that I do want help but I have a severe fear that councilling will just take more time from my life and not work and I would like medication?

I'm sorry that I don't have much advice, but, regarding the lecturers - you won't have to plead with them. Your lecturers won't question a note from a doctor, no matter what specifics are written on it. You'd probably be surprised at how easily they'll accept your situation and find ways to accommodate you if at all possible.

Tell the psychiatrist everything you're worried about. Print your post out and hand it to her if that's easier for you. Obviously you have a really hard time trusting people, but try to trust the psychiatrist. Tell her as much as possible and try your best to trust/follow her advice.
    I hope things start to look up.

Getting worse by the day myself. Zispin is helping me sleep at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I

In the meantime I found out from the college that the doctors notes I did have were not enough and that i'd basically have to see each lecturer individually and plead my case (this is something I REALLY REALLY can't do). So I've come to the decision that I'm just going to drop out and try college in a few years time when I have finally gotten over all this fear/guilt/worry business. This has me feel much better as I don't have to worry about every going back there or seeing anyone from my class ever again. But I still feel guilty and unreal most of the time.

That doesn't sit well with me at all. There is absolutely no reason you should have to explain yourself when you've got a doctors note.

When I went to one of my lecturers asking for an extension, I was a nervous wreck. I was at the point of tears and he said to me, "You don't need to explain it, I don't want to hear it. Take as much time as you need with the upcoming assignments."

I have only scanned over your post coz it's quite long :) but I presume you've been seeing the college counsellor? That's the way to do it if the service is there. Through the college, I got a referral to a psychiatrist and was put on meds. I e-mailed the lecturers to let them no that I was on meds and would probably miss some amount of college (I slept a lot when I started on the meds!). I had the college counsellor email all of my lecturers saying that I was suffering from psychological trauma (after an accident in my case) and to give me the assistance I needed. I also had her send a letter to the head of department.

There was no details in the letter. It's none of their business as far as I'm concerned. It's between you and the counsellor.

I managed to defer my Final Year Project for the summer so I'm in the process of doing it at home, in an environment I'm comfortable with. Perhaps you can get something like this to ease some of the workload?

I think anybody who has even a tiny bit of intelligence would see that you aren't an attention seeker or being dramatic,you can't help the way that you feel.

The idea of change makes me very anxious and I'm not getting on too well at all in my new place in work.

The actual work is fine,just filing and doing invoices and stuff,but the people who I work with don't seem too fond of me,they've all been working there for years and are very cliqish,throw in the fact that I'm very nervous around new people and always say the wrong things and it's kinda hell for me at the moment tbh.I'm glad that I still have a place to occupy me everyday and all,but I dread going in there every morning.Just feel quite hopeless at the moment,I'm seeing my psych again on Friday so hopefuly he'll have some suggestions to help me feel a bit better.

tbh I wish things would calm the **** down, sick of having so much to do all the time, things to worry about, i mean who looks for that!? :confused:

I get what you mean about the clique vibe. you said it was mostly girls there yeah? unfortunately I think that's how a group deals with insecurity, to make outsiders feel unwelcome so they feel more popular themselves, if you know what I'm trying to say.

I definitely get what you mean about having somewhere to go. I mean I was on the verge of quitting today, the only reason I didn't cry on the way out of the office was cause I knew I had to make my interview. my boss was a prick to me today. and he did it fully knowing what he was doing. every week he has a new tactic for making me stay on longer. but then thinking about what I'd be like without a job again, I really don't think that'd be good for me. I was thinking of asking for next week off, but now I really don't feel like i can.

oh and I called in about my supposed appointment for the psych. it's towards the end of the month. so much for sending me a frickin letter to let me know this :mad: but i suppose at least i have it. though this is only another consultation. and it'll be another attempt to convince me to go back on efexor. and triple it, like she was saying last time. i'm not doing it.

I don't really care what my psych gives me so long as it makes things like getting out of bed bearable,am on citalopram and lithium now plus sleeping pills for whenever I can't sleep.Said last time that he might up my dose of lithium again to boost the citalopram a bit.

Last time I was this down was around January/February,and I ended up cutting myself pretty badly and being put on anti-psychotics for a week to calm me down and I really don't want to end up like that again,still can't wear short sleeved t-shirts cos of the scars.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Cygni

I actually have a PD that's been annoying me since I was in 6th class. I guess for the first time in these years I'm actually going to get the courage and seek some medical help. In July, after my LC.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement