Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets all be anxious/depressed together.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

lukesmom wrote: »
    Yes there are but too nervous to leave house but I'm terrified the tablets won't kick in and it's this anxiety that has left me not able to eat or sleep. I want to take a whole box just to block it out bit I'd never do it. That's just my anxiety and I'm at a loss at where to go next.

Aware also do online support, however times are a little limited, but there's usually someone around this thread or the other thread on after ours when you want to feel less on your own with this..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It is a beautiful day out, managed to drag myself out but beat a hasty retreat, i think i am becoming the couch. Oops..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Yup, me too. But trying to enjoy it rather than feeling guilty. I need the rest rather than to be out and about

So much tea and ****e telly to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Ended up in A&E last night anxious as ever. Nerves shot. It's just the side effects of upping my dose had a better day today thank God although anxious tonight. You'd want to have seen me last night though. No sleep for days and side effects was like hell but got some sleepers off the psych doctor so snoozy time for me. Hope you are all ok

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »
    Ended up in A&E last night anxious as ever. Nerves shot. It's just the side effects of upping my dose had a better day today thank God although anxious tonight. You'd want to have seen me last night though. No sleep for days and side effects was like hell but got some sleepers off the psych doctor so snoozy time for me. Hope you are all ok

How are you feeling now?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭LoveCoke

It is a beautiful day out, managed to drag myself out but beat a hasty retreat, i think i am becoming the couch. Oops..
    why if you don't mind asking?

LoveCoke wrote: »
    why if you don't mind asking?

Just a wave of panic, nothing can happen in here, i'm not always like that but my nerves spike fairly frequently and it's not predictable so i sometimes scuttle back to the cave..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Eurghh, exams start tomorrow. Pretty sure I'm screwed, definitely sure, I'll be losing a lot of blood over the 2 next weeks, if I can survive it.

Pretty sure I can get mitigating circumstance, but that would mean I need to come back in August, and that sounds eurghh

titan18 wrote: »
    Eurghh, exams start tomorrow. Pretty sure I'm screwed, definitely sure, I'll be losing a lot of blood over the 2 next weeks, if I can survive it.

Pretty sure I can get mitigating circumstance, but that would mean I need to come back in August, and that sounds eurghh

Hope it goes ok.. Try not to let the self harm get in the way while you're studying - don't look back at the exams you've completed either if you can manage it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cmbutterfly45

Hi guys
    Anyone know where I can buy the book "living with it" bev aisbett
    Really helped me few yrs ago my counsellor gave it to me but I've lost the second half , my search online only returns sites in Australia, hoping someone can help, thanks!

Hi guys
    Anyone know where I can buy the book "living with it" bev aisbett
    Really helped me few yrs ago my counsellor gave it to me but I've lost the second half , my search online only returns sites in Australia, hoping someone can help, thanks!
    http://www.abebooks.com/Living-Paperback-Bev-Aisbett/5425930072/bd

Thanks so much I really appreciate it :)

Thanks so much I really appreciate it :)
    hope it helps. dr claire weekes material is said to be good too

LoveCoke wrote: »
    hope it helps. dr claire weekes material is said to be good too

So do I!! Ill have a look at that too and have just bought when panic attacks David burns, used feeling good handbook few years ago and found it really good so hoping this one can work its magic on me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

Not doing great recently. So much so that I'm actually considering seeing a doctor.... (It'll never happen) But I am kind of feeling, it's either try to get it fixed, or live with it forever. And I'm trying to work out which option would be worse. Logically, I know that sounds stupid, why would you rather live with something forever rather that getting it fixed. But I think some of you here should understand why I would feel like that as no-one else can.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 want to disappear

I understand completely. Sometimes you get use to feeling so bad that feeling any other way would seem strange. Hope you feel better soon.

phi3 wrote: »
    Not doing great recently. So much so that I'm actually considering seeing a doctor.... (It'll never happen) But I am kind of feeling, it's either try to get it fixed, or live with it forever. And I'm trying to work out which option would be worse. Logically, I know that sounds stupid, why would you rather live with something forever rather that getting it fixed. But I think some of you here should understand why I would feel like that as no-one else can.

I get that - it's like being terrified of change, i'm scared to try and get better because, well, what if i don't, or get worse. Or, if i do get better, then i've no excuse for not succeeding in life.. Effing circles i'm going in.. :o

Just taken a small step for man but a giant leap for me.
    I wrote a letter to my GP to find out whether it's something she deals with etc.
    Now I haven't actually posted the letter yet- but one step at a time.
    All part of putting the plan in action.
    And maybe if she writes back, then just maybe I'll be able to take the next step. Even putting it in a letter is freaking me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 psychosismoses

My advice which worked wonders is this, healthy diet, plenty of workouts n exercise, reframe from sitting around the house thinking if unemployed, take up your week with hobbies,books audio tapes preferably philosophy for enlightenment... And a bottle of passiflora for anxiety,it's camning and helps sleep...and above all get up early n shower first thing...it seems like a tall order but it keeps me in a good place, no need to visit for prescriptions when your own body n mind are equipped already...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

phi3 wrote: »
    Just taken a small step for man but a giant leap for me.
    I wrote a letter to my GP to find out whether it's something she deals with etc.
    Now I haven't actually posted the letter yet- but one step at a time.
    All part of putting the plan in action.
    And maybe if she writes back, then just maybe I'll be able to take the next step. Even putting it in a letter is freaking me out.

Well done phi!

My advice which worked wonders is this, healthy diet, plenty of workouts n exercise, reframe from sitting around the house thinking if unemployed, take up your week with hobbies,books audio tapes preferably philosophy for enlightenment... And a bottle of passiflora for anxiety,it's camning and helps sleep...and above all get up early n shower first thing...it seems like a tall order but it keeps me in a good place, no need to visit for prescriptions when your own body n mind are equipped already...

I'd be a little careful at this point. The rest of your suggestions are fine, especially if the person can find the motivation to carry them out.

Certain people will need medical assistance or intervention to enable them to recover, medication/other therapies may be necessary in these cases. I'm not thrashing your post, mind, just making sure that those who need further help stay on meds/going to counselling etc.

I'd be a little careful at this point. The rest of your suggestions are fine, especially if the person can find the motivation to carry them out.

Certain people will need medical assistance or intervention to enable them to recover, medication/other therapies may be necessary in these cases. I'm not thrashing your post, mind, just making sure that those who need further help stay on meds/going to counselling etc.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

I agree.. Although all of the above have worked wonders for me...I did need to be medicated and receive Therapy to get to the point were I could undertake these tasks..and even at that it was a slow process.. I needed to take small steps..Diet...then Sleep...Then some exercise and so on, it didn't all just fall into place as I didnt have the energy or the will to do anything

dar926 wrote: »
    I agree.. Although all of the above have worked wonders for me...I did need to be medicated and receive Therapy to get to the point were I could undertake these tasks..and even at that it was a slow process.. I needed to take small steps..Diet...then Sleep...Then some exercise and so on, it didn't all just fall into place as I didnt have the energy or the will to do anything

of course go at ones own pace... the mind is terribly powerful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Hello all,

I'm not a regular poster here, but just thought I'd share this. It's as good a description of depression as I've ever read, and could even be a useful tool to share with a partner, family and friends that just don't get it.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.ru/2013/05/depression-part-two.html?m=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Haven't posted in a while. Don't really have much to say.

Last week I became a grown up. I handed over the stash of meds I was planning on using to kill myself to my doctor.

Seems like something I should be happy about. And I am happy. I just don't like that I don't have a back up plan. It was a bit of a rushed decision, I was on a real high after a few things went my way. I will tell her my concerns when I see her.

I have my spark back since I changed meds. Get the next few months out of the way & I can start to focus on the bigger picture.

But I'm cautious. It's still a long road ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

This is probably a stupid question, but how do you know if your depressed?

Is it the general feeling itself, the lack of enjoyment in life? I have looked at many online questionnaires just as a rough guide, but like the questionaire to check if you have an alcohol problem, i feel that its not a case of black and white.

I don't really know who or where else to ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

My advice which worked wonders is this.... no need to visit for prescriptions when your own body n mind are equipped already...

mod note: Do not come on this thread and advise people against taking prescribed medication. you are not qualified to do this. secondly, you have no idea how seriously ill some of the posters here may be, so any such 'advice' is misguided and irresponsible.

don't post in that manner again please.

• Advertisement

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    This is probably a stupid question, but how do you know if your depressed?

Is it the general feeling itself, the lack of enjoyment in life? I have looked at many online questionnaires just as a rough guide, but like the questionaire to check if you have an alcohol problem, i feel that its not a case of black and white.

I don't really know who or where else to ask.

For a long time I didn't know I was depressed. I knew I wasn't happy and I knew I wasn't good with people. People said I was shy but I knew I wasn't. It was all very confusing really. I used be sad when I didn't know why. Someone mentioned to me about a friend of theirs that was depressed but then got help and was like a different person. I looked up signs of depression and I had most of them. Then my whole life started to make sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement