Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do torrents come from?

Options
  • 15-02-2010 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

(May not belong here)

I don't mean the sites or anything illegal like that. But watching a US TV show these days, not only are the ads stripped out, you don't even see the bumpers. In most cases, it's just a black screen for a second and then back to the show. I doubt that the people who are supplying these torrents are editing them to remove ad breaks, they're just a really neat edit, so I'm wondering if they come from no-ad direct feeds or does TIVO or A.N.Other PVR easily edit out ads these days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

They come from regular broadcast and cable showings, it's a fairly simple piece of video editting for the capper/encoder to get rid of the ads.
    Have to admit I dislike when the credits are removed at the end.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've never seen a TiVo feed but I think they auto-snip the ads. If not, it's a piece of cake to horse out the unwanted bits with a video editor. I wonder do the people who do it actually sit through the ads themselves though or risk major spoilerage by pre-editing them before watching sans commercials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

When a Mammy torrent and a Daddy torrent love each other very much they hug in a special way, that's where they come from.
    I wonder do the people who do it actually sit through the ads themselves though or risk major spoilerage by pre-editing them before watching sans commercials

That's a good point actually, would have never thought of that! Fair play for people putting in all the effort though to keep us Europeans entertained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Damien1989

As i understand it, The uploader edits and encodes the files before turning them into a torrent file and posting it on a Tracker.

The better the quality and editing, the More famous the uploader will be in the torrent community (<SNIP> for example)

What kind of fame is that though? Apart from a funkily-capped 4-letter word, what does anyone know about <SNIP>?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Lads..

Don't mention any group names from now on..

It's these sorta threads that start with a group name mentioned and soon after, torrent site links will follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It doesn't need a person to manually edit out the ad breaks - on most US networks, the broadcast is now in HD, whereas the ad breaks are not or even if they are, they have different aspect ratios, etc, which the software can pick up and remove automatically. For the most part, the whole process can be automated to produce the desired MKV/AVI from the original source capture...

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

I wonder do the people who do it actually sit through the ads themselves though or risk major spoilerage by pre-editing them before watching sans commercials.

I presume you would be able to fast forward through them like sky+, if they had been pre-recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

This is starting to veer into Audio-Video Editing territory..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,144 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I wonder do the people who do it actually sit through the ads themselves though or risk major spoilerage by pre-editing them before watching sans commercials.
    Some software can detect the split second of a blank/black/common screen between the ads and programme. The cappers probably don't care about the programmes though, ripping for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Bless the uploaders. They are God's little helpers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

I have always assumed that, because they do it so neatly, that they record everything to disk, then use some product to cut out the ads and splice the programme segments together. With content at 25 frames per second, it should be feasible to make a judicious break point, and maybe repeat a few blank frames to smooth out the transition ?

And, yes, God bless them for their efforts, for all they get in return is anonymous respect. (And dogs abuse from the Mrs when the programme she expects isn't available in time :D !)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Interesting article in todays Irish Times

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

I've uploaded loads of stuff to these sites, firstly I record to DVD disc, then then convert it to an AVI file. Then it's very simple to cut the ads out and be very accurate, its not really splicing as you don't have to do any joining as the programme does it for you.

The I upload the location of the file.

(All free Content Distribution items only)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Why are people still using torrents? :confused:

The majority of them probably don't even bother to use any form of encryption.

These people deserve to be caught imo.

In reply to the OP. I've actually wondered about this myself. I mean who are these people that do this?

Like anime for example. The majority of the anime shows are subbed into English by fans. Who are these people that sit down and watch through these shows, writing subtitles for them? Complete waste of time tbh, but I'm grateful they are doing it, saves me the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

for one torrents are free unlike (rapidshare to name some )and u can get very good download speeds if people seed and if u have you internet set up so you get a different ip address every time u log on them it ill be hard to trace people

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Why are people still using torrents? :confused:

Because most people are unaware of any free, viable alternative, I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

How do they get HD TV Shows up on torrents though?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

What kind of fame is that though? Apart from a funkily-capped 4-letter word, what does anyone know about <SNIP>?

It gets your clothes whiter than white?

Dman001 wrote: »
    How do they get HD TV Shows up on torrents though?

Um, the same way they get the standard definition stuff up? Why would there be any difference? The only difference as far as the process is concerned is the file size, not much else...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Are we allowed to discuss this stuff?.... <SNIP> is a famous Canadian capper, they all do a great job!, very professional....adverts cut, near perfect editing, no end credits!

The 720p's are all 5.1 sorround, there are lists of SCENE groups out there --->

J-blk wrote: »
    Um, the same way they get the standard definition stuff up? Why would there be any difference? The only difference as far as the process is concerned is the file size, not much else...

It's all HD broadcasts, they just bump it down to 350MB Divx files for people who don't have the time/bandwidth.

The 720's run 1.09GB :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The 720's run 1.09GB :eek:

1.09GB isn't that much these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

for a half and hour show it is.1.09gb would be a 2 disk dvd cos most movies are 700mb

1.09GB = 41-43 mins show, Spartacus ep. 3 was 56 mins = 1.45GB.

Blu Ray 720p = 4.37GB, 1080p = 8GB!!!!

Are we allowed to discuss this stuff?....<SNIP> is a famous Canadian capper, they all do a great job!, very professional....adverts cut, near perfect editing, no end credits!

The 720p's are all 5.1 sorround, there are lists of SCENE groups out there --->

Well, you kind of went over the line there, I'd have to say.

Are we allowed to discuss this stuff?....
    basquille wrote: »
    Lads..

Don't mention any group names from now on..

It's these sorta threads that start with a group name mentioned and soon after, torrent site links will follow.

I'm gonna guess that no, we're not :rolleyes:.

Might be a good idea to edit out the group name, though it's already been quoted...
    It's all HD broadcasts, they just bump it down to 350MB Divx files for people who don't have the time/bandwidth

I know. I was replying to Dman001 and my point was that there is no difference to the whole process if you want to produce an HD or SD rip. They usually start from the same source file and just adjust settings as needed to produce the desired file...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,472 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thread edited to remove our 4 lettered capper and the group named by Richard Dower.

Last warning - if I have to edit one more post on this thread, I'm locking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

J-blk wrote: »
    Well I understand that if a TV Shows is released on Blu Ray that they could just rip that? But lets say we take the latest Lost episode in HD? Do they use a BR Recorder (which very few people would have), or do they have some HD receiver for their computer and record them that way?

It was my understanding that for SD shows people were recording them onto DVDs and transfering them onto their computer. Im pretty sure Tivo has a feature to transfer recorded SD content to your computer too.

• Advertisement

HD receiver, like a tv card....recorded direct on the PC, edited etc. and encoded.

Advertisement