Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pray For Atheists

Options
  • 13-02-2010 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭

Does anyone else here pray for atheists? I do. I find it helps temper my hostility towards them in their quest to take over society. Yes, they must be treated with compassion and respect (being human beings created in the likeness of God and all...), but I will not compromise with them when they try to spread their false ideology and impose it on the rest of us. The burka ban in France is the thin end of the wedge and this kind of ideology must be opposed if religious freedoms are to be upheld.

Tomorrow, I'll be saying a special prayer for the removal of aggressive atheism and aggressive secularism from society.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If you think prayers help, please don't waste your time on me, instead pray for Haiti or some other noble cause.

Interesting point though; You say Atheists want to take over society, a society ruled by your religion, when in fact all Atheists (should) want is for all faiths/lack of to be treated equally.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

Does anyone else here pray for atheists? I do. I find it helps temper my hostility towards them in their quest to take over society. Yes, they must be treated with compassion and respect (being human beings created in the likeness of God and all...), but I will not compromise with them when they try to spread their false ideology and impose it on the rest of us. The burka ban in France is the thin end of the wedge and this kind of ideology must be opposed if religious freedoms are to be upheld.

Tomorrow, I'll be saying a special prayer for the removal of aggressive atheism and aggressive secularism from society.
    We should all pray for atheists, definitely. They are not a lost cause.

By secularism, are you referring to the separation of church and state?

If you think prayers help, please don't waste your time on me, instead pray for Haiti or some other noble cause.

Interesting point though; You say Atheists want to take over society, a society ruled by your religion, when in fact all Atheists (should) want is for all faiths/lack of to be treated equally.
    You are right to include the "should" in your statement, because many atheists feel the world would be a much better place if people didn't hold religious beliefs. They see it is a stumbling block for the advancement of society.

You are right to include the "should" in your statement, because many atheists feel the world would be a much better place if people didn't hold religious beliefs. They see it is a stumbling block for the advancement of society.

Well, kind of.
    If everybody kept their beliefs to themselves, never stopped anyone else in the street to try and convert them, never protested against medical procedures because some one in a funny hat told them to, would never threaten someones life because of a cartoon and didn't stop others from getting on with their lives however they wanted, then that would be plenty. I'm sure even the most militant of Atheist/Muslim/Christian/whatever will agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

quest to take over society
    :confused:

• Advertisement

Well, kind of.
    If everybody kept their beliefs to themselves, never stopped anyone else in the street to try and convert them, never protested against medical procedures because some one in a funny hat told them to, would never threaten someones life because of a cartoon and didn't stop others from getting on with their lives however they wanted, then that would be plenty. I'm sure even the most militant of Atheist/Muslim/Christian/whatever will agree.
    Seems reasonable, but I wonder, what sort of evangelism would be appropriate, if any at all, seeing as "spreading the gospel" is the overarching mission given to any Christian?
    Would Jesus' method of helping others and sharing the gospel whilst doing so be unintrusive enough?

Well, kind of.

Also, the big one for non RC parents, if you could raise your child anywhere in the county and be safe in the knowledge that there is a place in the local national school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

Also, the big one for non RC parents, if you could raise your child anywhere in the county and be safe in the knowledge that there is a place in the local national school.

You'd better get saving so. You pay a premium to live beside the best schools.

Seems reasonable, but I wonder, what sort of evangelism would be appropriate, if any at all, seeing as "spreading the gospel" is the overarching mission given to any Christian?
    Would Jesus' method of helping others and sharing the gospel whilst doing so be unintrusive enough?

Well you guys do have some of the finest buildings in Europe as places of worship. :D (Very nice one in Barcelona actually.)
    Feel free to advertise, like anyone else trying to promote something, but don't stop people living as they please. That is all. I have no problem with the guy in the street reading scripture, as long as he doesn't accuse anyone of being damned for not listening. Just another busker really, collecting souls rather than coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

never protested against medical procedures because some one in a funny hat told them to

'Medical procedures' can include anything from having your tonsils removed to female genital mutilation (often falsely called female circumcision), abortion, forcible sterilisation of gypsies, or the kind of medical experiments conducted by the Nazis in Dachau.

If you think 'scientists' should have a free hand to carry out whatever medical procedures they feel like without people having a right to express their objections (be they informed by reigion or by other ways) then your idea of secularism is not mine.

Also, although I'm not a Catholic, I'm glad that some atheists can engage in rational discourse and don't resort to snide comments about funny hats.

• Advertisement

You'd better get saving so. You pay a premium to live beside the best schools.

Not the best schools. Any school. Remember RC schools can exclude children because of their faith. If it's a decision between a RC child and a non-RC child, we all know who will get picked and why.

Not the best schools. Any school. Remember RC schools can exclude children because of their faith. If it's a decision between a RC child and a non-RC child, we all know who will get picked and why.

Do you think the trustees of Catholic schools establish and provide resources to them up just for something to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I hope you don't forget to include everyone not of your religion as well.

PDN wrote: »
    'Medical procedures' can include anything from having your tonsils removed to female genital mutilation (often falsely called female circumcision), abortion, forcible sterilisation of gypsies, or the kind of medical experiments conducted by the Nazis in Dachau.

Good thing we can have a vote on these issues and let the people decide.
    Also Godwin.
    If you think 'scientists' should have a free hand to carry out whatever medical procedures they feel like without people having a right to express their objections (be they informed by reigion or by other ways) then your idea of secularism is not mine.

Good thing I don't then, yes?
    Also, although I'm not a Catholic, I'm glad that some atheists can engage in rational discourse and don't resort to snide comments about funny hats.

Snide comment pointed out by a snide comment. Even though my comment was lighthearted and not intentionally snide in any way.
    Why is it that a funny hat remark instantly invokes the Pope?

You wear a funny hat PDN do you not, as a bishop and all.

Do you think the trustees of Catholic schools establish and provide resources to them up just for something to do?

So you're saying it's right to exclude a child based on what his/her parents believe. Yes?

Good thing we can have a vote on these issues and let the people decide..
    Yes, which is why we don't have abortion in this country. Because last time the people voted they decided not to allow it.
    Also Godwin.
    Godwin is an ass. His 'law' does not apply in a forum where ethical issues are discussed.
    You wear a funny hat PDN do you not, as a bishop and all.
    If the weather gets particularly cold I wear a woolly hat in the mornings when I walk the dog - but I don't think my role as a bishop has anything to do with it. I heartily dislike the idea of religious leaders wearing special garments - but I'm too well mannered to poke fun at them.

They could run their schools how they wanted if they did indeed provide all the resources. But so long as they expect me to subsidise them as a taxpayer then they should avoid discriminating against my children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Im atheist myself, I dont go around going on about it all the time because I find it pointless. Nothing wrong with a debate but alot of what I read in the atheist part of this site just wrecks my head. I dont push my non belief on people and mock those who do believe. Basically if you want to pray for athiests(i can only speak for myself and not all athiests) and that makes you happy then please feel free to pray for me/us, it wont do me/us any harm so I cant see any problems in it. Live and let live etc.

I heartily dislike the idea of religious leaders wearing special garments - but I'm too well mannered to poke fun at them.

I think clerical dress rocks. Saw Cardinal Pell wearing a capa magna in Cork there last year. He wore his gloves and his hat (it's a white thing that looks like a mitre, but it's not - I can't remember the exact name) during the sermon. He needed at least 10 altar boys just to make it from the main door to the altar.

seanybiker wrote: »
    Im atheist myself, I dont go around going on about it all the time because I find it pointless. Nothing wrong with a debate but alot of what I read in the atheist part of this site just wrecks my head. I dont push my non belief on people and mock those who do believe. Basically if you want to pray for athiests(i can only speak for myself and not all athiests) and that makes you happy then please feel free to pray for me/us, it wont do me/us any harm so I cant see any problems in it. Live and let live etc.

Yeah you do.

• Advertisement

Yeah you do.
    Are you talking about him specifically, or atheists in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

If you want to say prayers for me and its with good intentions then I'm not going to say anything against someone well wishing me. But, my position in life (while sh1tty last year) is much better and rather comfortable. So I'd encourage you share your prayer time with those that really need them. Not me. Pray for my return to the faith on and off if you feel you must, but don't let it distract from more important stuff.:)

Malty_T wrote: »
    If you want to say prayers for me and its with good intentions then I'm not going to say anything against someone well wishing me. But, my position in life (while sh1tty last year) is much better and rather comfortable. So I'd encourage you share your prayer time with those that really need them. Not me. Pray for my return to the faith on and off if you feel you must, but don't let it distract from more important stuff.:)
    You are priceless, so your salvation is just as important as anything else in this world. That said, you will be prayed for, as I would love to see someone from the A&A forum in the city of the Living God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

When our snowball keeps getting bigger, will you accept that prayer doesn't work (or at least that you chose the wrong god?).

You are priceless, so your salvation is just as important as anything else in this world.

?:confused:
    I was trying to emphasise the exact opposite. I see my salvation as meaningless compared to the struggles that others face.

When our snowball keeps getting bigger, will you accept that prayer doesn't work (or at least that you chose the wrong god?).

Your snowball will share the fate of all snowballs in this climate. :D

Malty_T wrote: »
    ?:confused:
    I was trying to emphasise the exact opposite. I see my salvation as meaningless compared to the struggles that others face.
    I was trying to emphasize the opposite. Perhaps your stuggles are meaningless compared to the struggles of others, but not your salvation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Does anyone else here pray for atheists? I do. I find it helps temper my hostility towards them in their quest to take over society.

Pray harder!

I was trying to emphasize the opposite. Perhaps your stuggles are meaningless compared to the struggles of others, but not your salvation.
    :o
    Oh, right.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Your snowball will share the fate of all snowballs in this climate. :D

Aye, the state of our finances is more important right now!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement