Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Enda Kenny's rating so low?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

54% of the country's population live in Leinster.

Under 12% live in Connacht.

What do you expect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

54% of the country's population live in Leinster.

Under 12% live in Connacht.

What do you expect.

Less snobbery from the media would be nice.

sesna wrote: »
    Less snobbery from the media would be nice.
    Is there an example of anti Connacht media snobbery or are we just to assume it exists?

Is there an example of anti Connacht media snobbery or are we just to assume it exists?

We didn't have a national weather crisis until a bit of snow fell in Dublin, despite the fact the west of the country had experienced inclement weather for a week before this. Of course the west didn't matter once everything was okay in Leinster.
    Its tiresome hearing Dublin traffic reports on national radio stations. There are other cities in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheWestsAwake

I lived in Dublin for 5 years and yes anti-Connacht snobbery is rampent. I would say it is far more common than Anglo-phobia or anti-Britishness, which is not right either, but you would wonder WTF we did to people in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheWestsAwake

We didn't have a national weather crisis until a bit of snow fell in Dublin, despite the fact the west of the country had experienced inclement weather for a week before this. Of course the west didn't matter once everything was okay in Leinster.
    Its tiresome hearing Dublin traffic reports on national radio stations. There are other cities in Ireland.

The City this, the City that. WHICH BLOODY CITY? Galway, Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Kilkenny, Derry, Belfast? No we are to assume its Dublin. ARROGANCE.

Down the country, are we to believe that cattle roam the streets of Tralee, Sligo, Letterkenny, Castlebar, Roscommon, Nenagh etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

A quarter of the population live in Dublin though so thats to be expected really especially in the media who are playing to this million people to keep them tuned in to their stations.

Ireland is so small its essentially a small county in one of the states in the US with one big town (Dublin) and lots of small towns and completely rural areas.

But it comes down to the media really and people wanting to be sheep and fit in. The media have made it normal to say Kenny lacks charisma and you want to be considered normal, don't you?

Marketing bull and its sad how many people just go with the trend.

We didn't have a national weather crisis until a bit of snow fell in Dublin, despite the fact the west of the country had experienced inclement weather for a week before this.
    Of course the west didn't matter once everything was okay in Leinster.
    1 in every 2.5 people live in Dublin or its environs.

The entire province of Connacht is about 1 in 10.

It is the aministrave and commercial capital of the country. It is only fair that it is given significant attention.
    I lived in Dublin for 5 years and yes anti-Connacht snobbery is rampent. I would say it is far more common than Anglo-phobia or anti-Britishness, which is not right either, but you would wonder WTF we did to people in Dublin!
    Incredible exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Nothing to do with where the man comes from. The man with the highest popularity rating is from Caltra, Co Galway, not much there.

Inda Kinny has a charismatic deficit. He's the type of fella I'd imagine puts his shirt inside his underpants, and that perception is a big turn off for voters.....

Nothing to do with where the man comes from. The man with the highest popularity rating is from Caltra, Co Galway, not much there.

Inda Kinny has a charismatic deficit. He's the type of fella I'd imagine puts his shirt inside his underpants, and that perception is a big turn off for voters.....

Nice to see this thread is getting really cerebral.

Inda is nothing like Biffo. Biffo's an intelligent fella because the media told us so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Nice to see this thread is getting really cerebral.

Inda is nothing like Biffo. Biffo's an intelligent fella because the media told us so.

Duine le Dia is ea An Biffo.....

Kenny just doesnt cut it when it comes to FF standards of "charisma"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

I've lived in Dublin all my life and am yet to meet anyone who's anti-Connacht

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

colly10 wrote: »
    I've lived in Dublin all my life and am yet to meet anyone who's anti-Connacht

I have to be honest, same here and I live north of Dublin for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there is article after article analysing Enda and his shortcomings in todays SINDO, after reading all of it, I think I have heard enough on the subject...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    there is article after article analysing Enda and his shortcomings in todays SINDO, after reading all of it, I think I have heard enough on the subject...

The very fact that the article exists shows the media are just jumping on a bandwagon of public perception to try to sell their paper TBH.

Where is the article for balance about Brian Cowens shortcomings?

Enda should probably go as leader as a result of this public image problem as despite being probably very good at his job, his time to get the party into power has passed as he has been labelled successfully by the media as a man with no charisma and so I fear he won't be able to turn that around.

FG need to get over their loyalty to the man. Sure he restored a lot of respect for the party and got them back to where they are but he will never lead them into govenrment. He should be respected for what he has done and continue to be part of FG but recognition of this image problem needs to occur within the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

thebman wrote: »
    Where is the article for balance about Brian Cowens shortcomings?

Theres been loads of them, there was a TV program that went through his shortcomings that was shown in the last 2 days as well, in fairness its a bit much to say that the media does anything but slate the current government.

People talk about jumping on the media bandwagon being a reason why people don't like Kenny, that has nothing to do with it, most people are capable of thinking for themselves. It irritates me at this stage to listen to him, I tend to disagree with the vast majority of what he says, FG should find a new leader

colly10 wrote: »
    Theres been loads of them, there was a TV program that went through his shortcomings that was shown in the last 2 days as well, in fairness its a bit much to say that the media does anything but slate the current government.

People talk about jumping on the media bandwagon being a reason why people don't like Kenny, that has nothing to do with it, most people are capable of thinking for themselves. It irritates me at this stage to listen to him, I tend to disagree with the vast majority of what he says, FG should find a new leader

You overestimate most people. Why do you think companies spend billions each year marketing themselves as the best?

People will believe what you tell them to believe especially if they have no other reference point.

I'm sure that people that have met Enda Kenny don't think he lacks all charisma. I'm sure they at least see him as being not much different to any other politician or Brian Cowen.

People who only see him in the media will believe what the media tell them to in most cases. It happens everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Biggins wrote: »
    * If FF are the liberal party, they won't like the new one that's being formed at www.Liberal.ie
    Little details of which I can post. I know who is behind it but its not for me to publicly say till they come forwards themselves and announce their intentions.

Thats an open secret - Pat Cox

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Fiskar wrote: »
    18. He has lost 5 seats with the loss of G Lee, he simply did not milk the public swing in taking an FF seat that the result should have delivered

Can you explain that to me as it makes no sense

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement