Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Enda Kenny's rating so low?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 cranog

I used to vote FG but the thoughts of that embarrassment Kenny heading any government made me, the eejit, vote Green in the last election, what a waste of a vote. If Richard Bruton became leader of FG they would have my vote again.

I once met E.K in Sligo town, on a walk about, a bogger in a suit is all I can say about him. When asked questions he waffled and bluffed and went on shaking hands. I know, he sounds like most Irish politicians......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

1.He is completely uncharismatic (I know it shouldn't really be a factor but it is so we have to deal with it)
    2.He gave a woefully inept performance on the Late Late where he couldn't give a reason not to go into government with SF
    3.He doesn't know his own party's policy on water charges
    4.His incessant criticisms of EVERYTHING the government do is just childish.
    5.He let what was a potentially a great TD in George Lee slip through his fingers(I know, this wasn't entirely his fault but he's being blamed for it in some quarters).

6. His mad grin on the LLS . . how could you trust a man with a grin like that ?
    7. His bid to get rid of the senate . . great idea but he forgot to tell his senators
    8. "From now on, I am going to be myself" - What the heck was that all about ? ?
    Me, Myself and ? !
    9. He seems no less corrupt and incompetent than Cowen.
    10. He doesn't come across as entirely honest and open.
    11. Many of FG's policies don't sit well with the people.
    Like when G Lee was pressed, policies are not clear at all.
    12. Those that do (e.g. immigants out, lock up them people accused of crimes - we all known dems crminals) are not put out that often for fear that FF will pounce on them.
    13. He can't handle the slagging given by FF and this makes him seem weak.
    14. He plays up his thick country accent which doesn't sit well with city folk.
    15. He acts like he is a really popular figure because he is very popular in FG. But floating voters see this as somewhat arrogant and aloof.

16. He thinks he will be the next Taoiseach by default (forgetting the power struggle with E Gilmore that’s looms)
    17. His demeanor on the late late show (like a twitching rooster) does not send out the right signals to the masses looking for an alternative.
    18. He has lost 5 seats with the loss of G Lee, he simply did not milk the public swing in taking an FF seat that the result should have delivered.
    19. a bogger in a suit .. When asked questions he waffled and bluffed and went on shaking hands.

Really compelling reasons here, keep them coming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

1.He is completely uncharismatic (I know it shouldn't really be a factor but it is so we have to deal with it)
    2.He gave a woefully inept performance on the Late Late where he couldn't give a reason not to go into government with SF
    3.He doesn't know his own party's policy on water charges
    4.His incessant criticisms of EVERYTHING the government do is just childish.
    5.He let what was a potentially a great TD in George Lee slip through his fingers(I know, this wasn't entirely his fault but he's being blamed for it in some quarters).
    6. His mad grin on the LLS . . how could you trust a man with a grin like that ?
    7. His bid to get rid of the senate . . great idea but he forgot to tell his senators
    8. "From now on, I am going to be myself" - What the heck was that all about ? ? Me, Myself and ? !
    9. He seems no less corrupt and incompetent than Cowen.
    10. He doesn't come across as entirely honest and open.
    11. Many of FG's policies don't sit well with the people. Like when G Lee was pressed, policies are not clear at all.
    12. Those that do (e.g. immigrants out, lock up them people accused of crimes - we all known dems crminals) are not put out that often for fear that FF will pounce on them.
    13. He can't handle the slagging given by FF and this makes him seem weak.
    14. He plays up his thick country accent which doesn't sit well with city folk.
    15. He acts like he is a really popular figure because he is very popular in FG. But floating voters see this as somewhat arrogant and aloof.
    16. He thinks he will be the next Taoiseach by default (forgetting the power struggle with E Gilmore that’s looms)
    17. His demeanour on the late late show (like a twitching rooster) does not send out the right signals to the masses looking for an alternative.
    18. He has lost 5 seats with the loss of G Lee, he simply did not milk the public swing in taking an FF seat that the result should have delivered.
    19. A bogger in a suit .. When asked questions he waffled and bluffed and went on shaking hands.
    20. He and his party let O'Donaghue off lightly over the expenses issue - Afraid to pursue it in case of what might be found (by counter-claim) with members of his own party?
    21. Failure to pursue Ahern over a number of issues which have still to be cleared up from the Mahon tribunal! We know why FF won't - I suspect FG are afraid - AGAIN as 21- to go there for same reasons.
    23. Failure to still go after FF and/or expose the full list of those involved within the "Golden Circle" - Reason? Same as 21 and 22? :rolleyes: Too close to home perhaps...?
    24. Failure to equally hold accountable the religious organisations involved with the recent abuse scandals. Failure to expose/pursue the FULL monetary payouts that the said organisations should be held FULLY accountable for - and not the tax payer to fork out for! (by the way - that sort of takes the piss out of their VERY FIRST ideology claim "we act in a way that is right for Ireland, regardless of dogma or ideology" - go figure!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

sesna wrote: »
    No lad, I'm just appalled to have this man as Taoiseach. I didn't invent this video or the fact that FF with Cowen as Minster for Finance/Taoiseach have turned this country into an economic wasteland.

I never said the video was invented by you.It's just the video actually reflects well on Cowen so if you're looking for a stick to beat him with use something else.
    Sorry for getting dragged off topic.

BTW OP have we convinced you yet?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It's shallow and overly simplistic to describe Kenny as being merely "uncharismatic". And it's frankly offensive to dismiss him on the grounds that he doesn't hail from an urban area. I think most people would be able to turn a blind eye to such glaring "deficiencies" if he had anything substantial to offer, like a gargantuan intellect or even just a firm set of beliefs. He's vacuous.

Unless he does the decent thing, or someone on his front bench launches a heave against him, Kenny will be the next Taoiseach. But not for long, as - free from the shackles of power - FF will roll out their usual attack-dogs and murder him at every opportunity.

• Advertisement

I never said the video was invented by you.It's just the video actually reflects well on Cowen so if you're looking for a stick to beat him with use something else.
    Sorry for getting dragged off topic.

BTW OP have we convinced you yet?:D

And I disagree with your delusional opinion, which you seem intent on presenting as fact.

And I disagree with your delusional opinion, which you seem intent on presenting as fact.

Well you're fully entitled to disagree of course, its just you're completely wrong.Cowen made a few jokes, some alright some bad and then sang a song.What was wrong with that?

Well you're fully entitled to disagree of course, its just you're completely wrong.Cowen made a few jokes, some alright some bad and then sang a song.What was wrong with that?

I was highlighting Cowens lack of charisma as a stateman, as evident by his singing on the back of a lorry in Offaly.

I also posted the video to highlight how FF media treats Kenny.
    During the 2007 election campaign, Kenny sang in a duet with a candidate in Boyle. Similar situation but the difference being Kenny was excoriated by the media.

I am truly appalled to have Biffo as our Taoiseach.

I was highlighting Cowens lack of charisma as a stateman, as evident by his singing on the back of a lorry in Offaly.

I also posted the video to highlight how FF media treats Kenny.
    During the 2007 election campaign, Kenny sang in a duet with a candidate in Boyle. Similar situation but Kenny was excoriated by the media.

I am truly appalled to have Biffo as our Taoiseach.

Surely the fact that Kenny was slated for singing and Cowen wasn't, even though he did the same thing, shows that Cowen has charisma and Kenny doesn't:confused:?It just shows that Kenny can't sell himself to the media properly.Anyway, I personally think too much emphasis is placed on charisma in Irish politics.

And as i said before, I personally think the video reflects well on Cowen.

Surely the fact that Kenny was slated for singing and Cowen wasn't, even though he did the same thing, shows that Cowen has charisma and Kenny doesn't:confused:?It just shows that Kenny can't sell himself to the media properly.Anyway, I personally think too much emphasis is placed on charisma in Irish politics.

And as i said before, I personally think the video reflects well on Cowen.

What next - The Sindo is a fair, balanced non-FF paper because Gene Kerrigan writes an article in it?

I never stated Kenny has good charisma - just that its of minor concern considering the leader of the government party has absolutely none.

That video, and any video of Cowen for that matter, reflect terrible on the country. This was especially true when he appeared at the Whitehouse last year alongside Obama

• Advertisement

What next - The Sindo is a fair, balanced non-FF paper because Gene Kerrigan writes an article in it?

I never stated Kenny has good charisma - just that its of minor concern considering the leader of the government party has absolutely none.

Well given that this is a thread on Enda Kenny I assumed you were trying to contrast Cowen's charisma with Kenny's.Again, I disagree with you when say Cowen has no charisma-the video shows he does.

And don't bother with the typical "The media hates us" FG argument.It's completely false and doesn't stand up to scrutiny.Look at the last election-I don't think the media were exactly clamouring for Ahern and FF to win the election given the hounding they got.The IT and the indo are generally anti-FF as well.So just give up that weak argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭I.Am.A.Panda

Sulmac wrote: »
    I agree with you to an extent, but in that post I was talking about policy difference, not ideological difference (or lack thereof).

Their policy is the tyranny of the majority. If the majority want X, they bring in X, though sometimes they bring in Y, something which has elements of X but is suited more to Z, because their financial backers want Z.

Anyway, the position is their policy changes when the public changes their mind. Irish politics is filled with flip-flops on policy, and people rarely notice. Fine Gael would in no way have been in favour of any banking regulations. The same with the Greens, Labour, and Fianna Fail. They only change things when it suits the people, or their financial backing.

Irish politics is a joke.

Well given that this is a thread on Enda Kenny I assumed you were trying to contrast Cowen's charisma with Kenny's.Again, I disagree with you when say Cowen has no charisma-the video shows he does.

That was an idiotic assumption. As stated already, I was showing that lack of charisma does not come into play, unless you want Eamon Gilmore as Taoiseach.

RTE/Sindo, the media I was referring to, are complete FF hack publications. I quite enjoy reading the IT and the indo.
    I suppose you think Ahern was unfairy treated - after all he did legitimately win the money on a horse.

The video is an embarrassment.

That was an idiotic assumption. As stated already, I was showing that lack of charisma does not come into play, unless you want Eamon Gilmore as Taoiseach.

RTE/Sindo, the media I was referring to, are complete FF hack publications. I quite enjoy reading the IT and the indo.

The video is an embarrassment.

Look let's just to agree to disagree on the video?And it wasn't an idiotic assumption because this thread is about Enda Kenny.
    And charisma never helped Bertie or Obama?:rolleyes:Charisma does come into play in politics-always has, probably always will.

Tbh, given your posting record its quite obvious you are completely anti-FF and because of that it is unsurprising you like the IT and the indo.And just because the Sindo is pro-FF does not mean the media at large is.

Look let's just to agree to disagree on the video?And it wasn't an idiotic assumption because this thread is about Enda Kenny.
    And charisma never helped Bertie or Obama?:rolleyes:Charisma does come into play in politics-always has, probably always will.

Tbh, given your posting record its quite obvious you are completely anti-FF and because of that it is unsurprising you like the IT and the indo.And just because the Sindo is pro-FF does not mean the media at large is.

I like the IT/Indo/TV3/ Newstalk because in my opinion they are unbiased, not because they are anti-FF.

Of course charisma helped Obama and Bertie. In the case of Kenny it doesn't matter when we have wooden Biffo as our alternative - not Bertie or Obama.

I like the IT/Indo/TV3/ Newstalk because in my opinion they are unbiased, not because they are anti-FF.

Well your opinion is completely wrong then.I don't know anyone who thinks the Indo isn't anti-FF.DO you even read the editorials and opinion pieces?

Well your opinion is completely wrong then.I don't know anyone who thinks the Indo isn't anti-FF.DO you even read the editorials and opinion pieces?

Yes, excellent factual journalism at play. And your opinion on the IT/ Newstalk/ TV3/ Examiner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Ivan Yates was on the radio recently making the point that before John Bruton came to power, 10% wanted him to be Taoiseach.

In the first summer of his administration, he had a 58% approval rating.

The public is a fickle creature.

Ivan Yates was on the radio recently making the point that before John Bruton came to power, 10% wanted him to be Taoiseach.

In the first summer of his administration, he had a 58% approval rating.

The public is a fickle creature.

There has never been a bad FF leader (until they left power), or a good FG leader (until they gained office).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheWestsAwake

It is simply because he is not a Leinsterman.

The Inequity of the Irish State

It has been 1979 since a non-Leinsterman has led this state, I turn 30 quite soon and have never had a leader from outside of the Eastern province. This is a very depressing fact.

The Eastern media conspire against anyone not of the Dublin/Leinster elite.

Recent Taoisigh from Leinster: Brian Cowan – Leinster, Bertie Ahern – Leinster, John Bruton – Leinster, Albert Reynolds – Leinster, Charles Haughey – Leinster (raised), Garret Fizgerald – Leinster.

Control of the Irish TV Media: Ryan Tubridy – Leinster, George Lee – Leinster, Bryan Dobson – Leinster, Miriam O'Callaghan– Leinster, Charlie Bird – Leinster, Joe Duffy – Leinster, Ray D’Arcy – Leinster, Gerry Ryan – Leinster, Ann Doyle – Leinster.

The Irish Independent’s Owner, Tony O’Reilly – Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The simple fact is that Kenny is a naysayer.

He has never been seen to offer a new idea. Forget about Cowen, this is about Kenny.

It has been 1979 since a non-Leinsterman has led this state, I turn 30 quite soon and have never had a leader from outside of the Eastern province. This is a very depressing fact.

Recent Taoisigh from Leinster: Brian Cowan – Leinster, Bertie Ahern – Leinster, John Bruton – Leinster, Albert Reynolds – Leinster, Charles Haughey – Leinster (raised), Garret Fizgerald – Leinster.

Control of the Irish TV Media: Ryan Tubridy – Leinster, George Lee – Leinster, Bryan Dobson – Leinster, Miriam O'Callaghan– Leinster, Charlie Bird – Leinster, Joe Duffy – Leinster, Ray D’Arcy – Leinster, Gerry Ryan – Leinster, Ann Doyle – Leinster.

So, stop promoting talentless hicks! If you have a viable alternative offer him/her. Ray D'Arcy controls the media? You boys are fecked so......

nipplenuts wrote: »

He has never been seen to offer a new idea.
    This is startlingly untrue.

The most basic example that would spring immediately to mind for most people is Seanad Reform.

Is this a joke?

Charlie Haughey was born in Mayo by the way.

Leinster has the highest population by far of all four provinces.

Brian Dobson and Ray Darcy and Gerry Ryan do not run the media - I actually did lol.

He has never been seen to offer a new idea. Forget about Cowen, this is about Kenny.

Naysayer - reminds me of Bertie's gaff on commiting suicide.

I suppose he was a naysayer when he opposed bench-marking awards to public servants in 2003

I think the best advertisement for TG4 is the fact that RTE & TV3 are overrun with Leinster folk. They are a Dublin media for Dublin and its commuter belt (leinster), Enda is too provincial for their liking, that’s the long and the short of it. I personally would love to see Enda as Taoiseach and I wouldn't mind Emanon Gilmore either; a time to stir it up and remember this is IRELAND not the City State of Dublin.

Naysayer - reminds me of Bertie's gaff on commiting suicide.

I suppose he was a naysayer when he opposed bench-marking awards to public servants in 2003

Correct! He said NO. That's the very definition of a naysayer. Kudos.

Is this a joke?

Charlie Haughey was born in Mayo by the way.

Leinster has the highest population by far of all four provinces.

Brian Dobson and Ray Darcy and Gerry Ryan do not run the media - I actually did lol.

Yes Charles Haughey was born on Mountain View, Castlebar, County Mayo, but he was no Mayoman, he was a Dub, despite his pretences at being a Kerryman or having a Derry father. As a Mayoman, I can tell you he was no Mayoman.

Dobson and his I love Bertie interview, D’Arcy and Ryan are just too more arrogant self-opinionated Dublin centric gombeens, but unfortunately they are also important in creating impressions in people minds.

Leinster's population continues to grow because of policies of Leinster led governments over the years, always fueling the growth of the Eastern Province at the expense of taxpayers in the other provinces, yet you are happy to take the natural resources which the other provinces have but Leinster does not. The M50 was yet another example of Dublin voters making other taxpayers bail them out. Why should we the Irish taxpayer have paid to purchase the M50 toll-bridge, maybe the Dublin councils should have paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Biggest reason is because the media portray him as such and seem to always have done.

Sure he lacks charisma but if you ignore a problem as FG seem to have done, it has a problem of snowballing.

He is now considered infinitely more uncharismatic than I'd say he actually is.

Personally I'd be less embaressed by his appearance than Brian Cowen who as a repesentative appears like a slob that couldn't be bothered talking properly when speaking to people. Oh and he lives a few miles down the road from me, lol.

• Advertisement

Correct! He said NO. That's the very definition of a naysayer. Kudos.

Yes it is..and we might be in a much better position if Ahern and Cowen had some naysayer qualities during the so-called boom.

Advertisement