Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possbile stolen car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

We arrived into work one monday morning IND est and there was a golf GTI parked in one of our spots.

One of the lads in a neigbouring unit asked had one of us got a new car. Told Him we hadn't.

He rang the garda as a precaution a few days later.

Turned out it was stolen in a house keys robbery owner was lucky!!! But its no harm to check i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

When a suspicious car is spotted in the way that the OP did, there is every reason to notify the Gardai.
    When they tell you that it has not been reported stolen and is taxed and insured, then that's enough.
    If you start getting into the business of cross checking vehicle particulars with the tax disc, then it's just going too far. If someones gone to the trouble of changing the plates, they're probably well up to the job of forging a tax and/or insurance disc.
    What next...
    Do you ring the insurance company to see if the policy number is valid?
    Do you look for the chassis number and ring the DoE in Shannon to see if it corresponds with the registration number?
    How long does it have to have been there before you do all of this? 3 months? 2 months? 1 month? 1 week? 1 day? How long until you start checking every car up and down the street or in a multistory car park in town.
    There's a fine line between vigelance and paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Hi all,
    I had a quick look at insurance disk last night, doesnt match plates. Rang back the garda and the reg on the disks is stolen.
    I dont think I am being paranoid about it, I havent started looking at all cars or anything like it.
    I just felt that if someone stole my car and it appeared somewhere I would like someone to report it.
    Thanks again to all for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

thebiglad wrote: »
    Little miss asked advice on how to know if the car was stolen and 'abandoned' - this was given - call the Garda.

Another poster rightly pointed out that if the car is not on its own plates then it will not necessarily come up as a stolen vehicle.

To allow her to be satisfied that the car is at least geniune what harm to check the insurance/tax disc to make sure that they tally with the plates on the car.

Else there has been little point in starting the question?

Owner of the vehicle if they happen to turn up should understand and be grateful - I am sure they would feel differently if it was a group of hoodies with a screwdriver looking over the car though so she leave the hoodie and screwdriver in the apartment when you do take a look:D
    Defo didnt have my hoodie or screwdriver with me!
    I also think I am a bit old to be in the hoodie gang!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hi all,
    I had a quick look at insurance disk last night, doesnt match plates. Rang back the garda and the reg on the disks is stolen.
    I dont think I am being paranoid about it, I havent started looking at all cars or anything like it.
    I just felt that if someone stole my car and it appeared somewhere I would like someone to report it.

So the tax disc & insurance disc belong to a stolen car?!?!?!
    How would somebody have gotten access to these discs...

Little Miss you are a credit to our society and I wish there were more people like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Hi all,

Well dine for persevering with it. We need people to be vigilant. The way you described the car you were dead right to report it. I'm sure the owner & all the rest of us who pay insurance premiums willbe delighted. Owner gets their csr back & insurance companies have one less reason to put premiums up. My dad got his car back after being stolen a few years back because of someone like you.
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hi all,

Fair play to you LMC .. hopefully the Gardai will follow up and the owner will get his/her car back.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Defo didnt have my hoodie or screwdriver with me!
    I also think I am a bit old to be in the hoodie gang!

Great result

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Magenta wrote: »

They steal the car, find the same make/model with valid details, go to motor factors, get new plates the same reg as the valid car and replace the stolen plates ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Magenta wrote: »

Little Miss you are a credit to our society and I wish there were more people like you.

think she means the the car is stolen with original discs and false plates.

Well done little miss and to the smart arse posters on the thread ffs GROW the F%ck UP

again well done OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Hi all,

Did the Gardai contact the owner of the car with the genuine number plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭joey54

Little Miss Cutie, society needs more people like you! Fair play to you for following it up, you obviously had a feeling there was something funny up with it. Most people wouldn't even bother ringing the Gardai in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Whats your problem snowman?(meltdown??) this is an open forum where people can express ANY opinion and offer ANY advice they like provided its not offensive and TBH some of the advice offered here is downright daft. this thread has run its course I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Brilliant result, somebody owes you a drink Little Miss Cutie! Fair play to you, really.

There are one or two posters on this thread who should be just about stuffed now, from a mixture of feet & humble pie.

Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Well done lady!! Nice one. I was waitng for the conclusion and it played out just as I expected. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Rang our friendly Garda car is taxed and insured so must belong to someone!!

The car would be insured for the year and possibly taxed. I hope they did more of a check than this although I wouldn't hold out much hope
    Andrew33 wrote: »
    How about just "minding your own bees wax"
    Curiosity killed the cat Miss Marple.

After having my last 2 cars robbed on me and been told regularly that there are people in my drive at night walking round the car i'd be hoping that theres plenty of people like the OP around that are observant enough to notice these things. Posts from clowns like the one above don't help anyone, why should she mind her own business?
    its downright silly and irresponsible to advise Little Miss to physically approach vehicle and inspect discs etc

Why?
    would you have her force open the bonnet so she can check engine numbers and chassis numbers too??

No
    Hi all,

Fair play to you, so the OP was right to check these things. Pity the Gardi didn't look into it themselves when it was reported
    Whats your problem snowman?(meltdown??) this is an open forum where people can express ANY opinion and offer ANY advice they like provided its not offensive and TBH some of the advice offered here is downright daft. this thread has run its course I think.

How is the advice daft, from listening to the advice she helped recover a stolen car, if she had of taken your advice it would still be sitting in the carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

EPM wrote: »
    I find carrier pigeon the optimum method;)

Not such a bad idea! Its faster than broadband apparently...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8248056.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

when you ring the gardai make sure that you ask for the "department of of random cars left in apartment complex's since last november", but make sure that you ask for the one from november if you say december then they will refare you to the "department of random cars left in apartment complex's since december", then they will not be able to help you

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

Overature wrote: »
    when you ring the gardai make sure that you ask for the "department of of random cars left in apartment complex's since last november", but make sure that you ask for the one from november if you say december then they will refare you to the "department of random cars left in apartment complex's since december", then they will not be able to help you

Mods, are you going to let this sit here? :mad:

Well done to the OP.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

This is the last warning i'll give in this thread. Eoin already asked people not to post rubbish like the above, so any more of it and infractions/bans will be given.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Hey that's my joke. It didn't go down well the first time, it's a tough crowd.

I'm still not clear from all the above - is it a stolen car or just somebody who couldn't be arsed paying their insurance and is using the insurance disk from a stolen car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Its because this lassie bothered her arse to follow this up, someone got back their stolen car back.

She should be getting a fecking medal (or a least a bottle of Bacardi/Vodka/Whatever) for her troubles.

More people like her would make the place a bit better.

Good on yer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hey that's my joke. It didn't go down well the first time, it's a tough crowd.

I'm still not clear from all the above - is it a stolen car or just somebody who couldn't be arsed paying their insurance and is using the insurance disk from a stolen car?

Its a stolen car.

It had its plates swapped so a random caller would get a positive response from the Gardai.

It almost worked too, but thankfully she checked the disc also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

txpjl wrote: »
    Mods, are you going to let this sit here? :mad:

Well done to the OP.

If you have a problem with a post please use the report post function report.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Fair play to miss cutie. I wouldnt even waste my commnts for the other few idiots on the forum

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

fair play OP, were lucky you checked these things. we all live in estates or apartment blocks and we get to know our neighbours etc etc so we also know when somethings out of place!

it seems to me that since the security breech, theres alot of weirdos posting in the motors forum thinking its afterhours or similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,492 ✭✭✭✭L1011

would you have her force open the bonnet so she can check engine numbers and chassis numbers too??

Chassis number is quite likely visible externallly - most modern cars have it visible through one of the windscreens. Although if the screen has been replaced its often missing the "hole" to see this through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

I think the people posting crap "jokes" and smart comments should shut the hell up and leave the girl alone, if it was YOUR car that was stolen you'd probably be straight on Boards with "waaahhhh my silver Focus was stolen, if you see it please report it" and you'd be grateful if someone did, wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Enough of this crap - thread closed. @Little Miss Cutie - well done for what you did. Real shame that so many people are acting the dick in this thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement