Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Possbile stolen car

Options
  • 12-02-2010 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A car has appeared in the underground car-park in my apt complex. The car is a nice 08 golf has been there unmoved since novemeber ish. I wanted to check if it was stolen/ reported missing....

Is there any easy way I can do this for free online?

Thanks
    Little Miss Cutie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Report it to the Gardai is the only way, if its been reported stolen they will know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Do I just ring the local staion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I find carrier pigeon the optimum method;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Cars can be left unmoved in residential car parks for all manner of reasons. If you do contact the Gardai, just give them the details of the car and leave it at that. Don't expect them to tell you anything about it or give you any updates. If it's stolen, they'll do the rest.

EPM wrote: »

Sorry I am totally blonde - I kinda meant is there a particular garda dept that deals with stolen cars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yes, you just ring your local Garda station and just give them the details of the car (make/model/license) and they will check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Make sure to ask for the detective in charge of random cars though ....

Rang our friendly Garda car is taxed and insured so must belong to someone!! Wish I could have a really nice car like that and afford to leave it lying about!!

Thanks to all for your help!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Rang our friendly Garda car is taxed and insured so must belong to someone!! Wish I could have a really nice car like that and afford to leave it lying about!!

Thanks to all for your help!! :)

They might just be on an extended business trip or something as simple as that.

alias no.9 wrote: »
    They might just be on an extended business trip or something as simple as that.
    Car is there at least 3 months! Nice long business trip - hopefully he is somewhere nice and sunny. (Garda told me owner is male!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Milly33

I do not understand why people just leave their cars around the place, me thinks it is very odd. When we moved into a new place there last year there was this BMW parked for ages in the car park at least 4 months without being moved now the boot looked like someone tried to open it but that was it, eventually that was moved..And now two big jeeps have arrived think they are there now for the last 3 months and again they look perfect and they must be drivable as there is no other way to get them there...

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

It is very likely stolen and also is very likely to have false plates on it.

Here are a few things you can do;

Check the tax disc if there is one visible and see if it matches the licence plates and if the details on it match the car.

Check the reg on cartell.ie and see if the make and model match that of the car itself

Also try goggling to licence plate to see if anyone has posted it missing in the off chance the original plates are on it.

There can be loads of reasons why it's parked up. I have my car (securely) parked up and it will be sitting there for the forseeable future because I wont be about. A lot of people I work with have had to move country to stay gainfully employed also and their motors are all parked up for 6-8 weeks at a time

Check the tax disc if there is one visible and see if it matches the licence plates and if the details on it match the car.

Check the reg on cartell.ie and see if the make and model match that of the car itself

Also try goggling to licence plate to see if anyone has posted it missing in the off chance the original plates are on it.
    The car matches the plates exactly - ie black focus. I will have a look at the tax / insurance disk later just in case they are in correct

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The car matches the plates exactly - ie black focus. I will have a look at the tax / insurance disk later just in case they are in correct

Thought it was an 08 Golf. :confused:

A Focus is a Ford car, Golf is Volkswagen.....

Miss Cutie I think it’s great they you have taken the initiative to check it out, lots of people have had cars recovered this way, but only because people like you have taken the time to check it out.

I'm surprised that so many people are saying that it's probably just someone on a business trip etc!! If the car just appeared a few months ago and hasn’t moved since then it’s probably suspicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

How about just "minding your own bees wax"
    Curiosity killed the cat Miss Marple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Based on what? If I was going away for a few months for work or whatever and underground apartment block car park would be my first choice.
    Granted only if I knew a resident that would look after it for me,.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I think what he's doing is good. If it was your car stolen you'd want someone to notice too, no? Fair play OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Ya everyone should just turn a blind eye to anything they are not involved in. :rolleyes:

Where do I sign up to be a part of your society?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

EPM wrote: »
    Make sure to ask for the detective in charge of random cars though ....

All too often, there are posts in the motors forum here about peolple asking for help as their car has been stolen. Every single one of these people would have been living in hope that one person, might just spot their car somewhere and make that important phonecall.

I can only hope it never happens to the people whos pathetic qoutes Ive listed above, and if it ever does, Im sure they wouldnt appreciate replies as thick as their own.

Afterhours is that way guys ---->>>

Little Miss Cutie, fair play to you! It might be nothing, but at least you have the whereforall to take your own time and have this checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

less of the handbags please. Pman, please don't post in this thread again unless you've something helpful to add.

JustinOval wrote: »
    Based on what? If I was going away for a few months for work or whatever and underground apartment block car park would be my first choice.
    Granted only if I knew a resident that would look after it for me,.

I’m not getting into it as really this is quite pointless discussing with you. But it is well known that stolen cars get left in underground car parks where they are less likely to arouse suspicion than on street where they will be ticketed or clamped or removed and it allows for the thieves to check if a tracker is fitted.

But if I was leaving my car in similar circumstances for an extended period I would put my business card on the dash so I could be contacted about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Little Miss Cutie

you said "Wish I could have a really nice car like that and afford to leave it lying about!!"

I am not sure if i risk a Ban on here but if your name is in any way apt, you probably could!

Regards ,Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Keep it on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Oops did not realise there was a Mod only two mins away!

Seriously though, people like Cutie noticing and reporting such things ,or stuffed letterboxes, or anything out of the ordinary are worth their weight in gold,

belt of Eoins Crozier averted ?

regards Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I’m not getting into it as really this is quite pointless discussing with you. But it is well known that stolen cars get left in underground car parks where they are less likely to arouse suspicion than on street where they will be ticketed or clamped or removed and it allows for the thieves to check if a tracker is fitted.

But if I was leaving my car in similar circumstances for an extended period I would put my business card on the dash so I could be contacted about it.

Apologies for attempting to drag you into an apparently pointless discussion.

..and thanks for explaining why you believe it to be stolen, it's a long time since I lived in Dublin
    and I have never heard of thieves using car-parks to hide stolen cars that may have a tracker fitted.

Does this mean this car was hidden and the thieves forgot about it? Or is it fitted with a malfunctioning tracker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Magnus wrote: »
    I think what he's doing is good. If it was your car stolen you'd want someone to notice too, no? Fair play OP.

Ok sorry, I'll expand a little on my comment, I think its downright silly and irresponsible to advise Little Miss to physically approach vehicle and inspect discs etc, would you have her force open the bonnet so she can check engine numbers and chassis numbers too?? she has done her bit for society by reporting it to the Gardai. Leave it at that, The owner could take umbrage at somebody snooping around and in this day and age you just don't know what the owner is like!:cool:

Ok sorry, I'll expand a little on my comment, I think its downright silly and irresponsible to advise Little Miss to physically approach vehicle and inspect discs etc, would you have her force open the bonnet so she can check engine numbers and chassis numbers too?? she has done her bit for society by reporting it to the Gardai. Leave it at that, The owner could take umbrage at somebody snooping around and in this day and age you just don't know what the owner is like!:cool:

In fairness looking at a disc takes a second and I seriously doubt the owner is sitting there watching if it hasn't moved.

I should also expand on my original comment. It was in jest as the question had already been answered (hint the smily face). And also good on you for taking an interest:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Little miss asked advice on how to know if the car was stolen and 'abandoned' - this was given - call the Garda.

Another poster rightly pointed out that if the car is not on its own plates then it will not necessarily come up as a stolen vehicle.

To allow her to be satisfied that the car is at least geniune what harm to check the insurance/tax disc to make sure that they tally with the plates on the car.

Else there has been little point in starting the question?

Owner of the vehicle if they happen to turn up should understand and be grateful - I am sure they would feel differently if it was a group of hoodies with a screwdriver looking over the car though so she leave the hoodie and screwdriver in the apartment when you do take a look:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement