Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Building Closed! Halifax Closure - West Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

calex71 wrote: »
    was in shaws there at xmas and found it to be ridiculously over priced.

Agreed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

The town center is going the way of the abby now, its such a shame, the TC was an amzing place back in the day.

I was never fussed on the abby, but man is it deppressing to walk through it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They're not gonna go anywhere either so hopefully the rent in the town drops so low that new and interesting shops start to fill the streets

Sure they've already done so. The Abbey centre is so desperate they're renting units for 80-100 a week!

I personally have avoided West Street for a long time. It's just depressing. There is such a lack of civic pride in this town; the buildings in West Street are just left to go to seed - and i'm talking about the ones that are occupied! Filthy, feeling paint, rotting windows, cheap and tacky shopfronts.

I'm sure the Laurence centre and Scotch Hall have a large part to play in West Street's demise; for instance, women would rather go to Clarks/Topshop/Newlook/River Island etc in S. Hall if they want to buy shoes rather than go to Eagletons or Tullys.

I'm shocked Tully's managed to hold on for so long. They probably could have survived if they'd gotten some buyers in who are actually in touch with their customers. Their stock was always pretty naff and old-fashioned, not to mention over-priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

Those bollards the whole way down west st look shocking, bugs the life outta me

West street is mad ugly since it was "done up"..

• Advertisement

As the saying goes.."you can't polish a turd".

No matter how pretty they made the street itself, the buildings on it still look shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

One thing from passing through the Abbey Centre there recently , has anyone noticed it still has it's abbey centre smell? not a bad smell at all just a smell it's always had, put a smile on my face till i realised the state of the place.

Yep, a musty, mold/dry rot smell.

Apparently the woman who owns the Abbey centre was offered millions for the site a few years ago. Bet she's kicking herself now!

Ventured though the abbey yesterday again , and there is a cafe prepping to open in place of mildred's (sp). Are they insane???????????????? Mildred's was an institution of old and of it's time, thye'll be lucky to get abbey staff on breaks in there in this climate :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 zen15

I was in Drogheda on Friday stuck in the traffic of west street eventually parked on the quays , 3 wardens patroling the streets and another 2 at scotch hall , ( I know their part of the harbour commisioners) but still for a town that is dying ,it is over the top.
    The council should be encouraging people to shop in it, not drive them away , anyway got a ticket and thought I might as well pay it now as I won't be back to shop here again , went to the council office to pay and and asked the women behind the counter, why was the town was so anti car .... she smirked and shrugged
    so the next person who says to me " Don't be shopping in the north , give it to the shops here" , I'll just wave me parking ticket at them on the way to Newry..
    An before someone says the obvious , well most of the shops in the town do have a connection to local town councillors , and if they can't be arsed speaking for them selfs , they only have them selves to blame for the death of the town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

zen15 wrote: »
    I was in Drogheda on Friday stuck in the traffic of west street eventually parked on the quays , 3 wardens patroling the streets and another 2 at scotch hall , ( I know their part of the harbour commisioners) but still for a town that is dying ,it is over the top.
    The council should be encouraging people to shop in it, not drive them away , anyway got a ticket and thought I might as well pay it now as I won't be back to shop here again , went to the council office to pay and and asked the women behind the counter, why was the town was so anti car .... she smirked and shrugged
    so the next person who says to me " Don't be shopping in the north , give it to the shops here" , I'll just wave me parking ticket at them on the way to Newry..
    An before someone says the obvious , well most of the shops in the town do have a connection to local town councillors , and if they can't be arsed speaking for them selfs , they only have them selves to blame for the death of the town

I have to agree about the harbour traffic wardens, they are OTT. I parked up one day only to realise I had little or no change, but I made up €1.30 (minimum amount) but it included some copper coin (which isn't accepted in the machines. )
    One of the wardens was emptying the machine and I asked him if he would change the coppers for me so I could get a ticket. He refused point blank (even though he was emptying a load of coin out of the machine) so I told him that I'm going to run into the nearest shop to get the correct change for the machine. I was gone less than 2 mins and he had ticketed me, even though I told him I was getting the correct change for his effing machine! Grrrrr.
    The town traffic wardens are bad, but nothing like the harbour nazis.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I have to agree about the harbour traffic wardens, they are OTT. I parked up one day only to realise I had little or no change, but I made up €1.30 (minimum amount) but it included some copper coin (which isn't accepted in the machines. )
    One of the wardens was emptying the machine and I asked him if he would change the coppers for me so I could get a ticket. He refused point blank (even though he was emptying a load of coin out of the machine) so I told him that I'm going to run into the nearest shop to get the correct change for the machine. I was gone less than 2 mins and he had ticketed me, even though I told him I was getting the correct change for his effing machine! Grrrrr.

Exact same thing happened to me, but I had a brainwave!

If you get a ticket, just wait around for a person coming back to their car, ask them for their ticket, and once its timed before your ticket, you go to the office and tell them that they're dic*head warden cant even do his job and the ticket was there all along! Has worked for me twice (now i just buy a ticket)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

If that story is true, small number of minutes, write to the Town Clerk.(assuming you still have the ticket, but write evenif you dont). You may well be let off.
    Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

I have had the "pleasure" of meeting one such fine specimen myself, I think he works for the harbour (across the quays from Scotch Hall).

I had arranged to pick up my other half there, and it was around 9:15 am and the whole parking lot was free, except for one car at the other end. I pulled in there, turned off the engine, picked up the phone to see where she is, and she is walking towards the car on the other side. I start the car, and look up to see this man standing in front of the car, ready to take down the number! I don't know where he came from, but when he realised I am moving out, he stood there looking at me with utter disgust, shaking his head side to size and muttering expletives. I turned off the car and went out and asked politely, what was wrong? He immediately started shouting at me that "this is no f*cking free car park, and you don't have a f*cking ticket, and you are f*cking asking me what's wrong?". I was totally taken back, but I said "I am leaving now. But I will pay for parking anyway, but only if you have behave more professionally or nicely"! Probably not the cleverest thing to say, it totally wound him up and started shouting more expletives at the top of the voice.

At this stage, my other half was already in the car, so I just laughed at him and drove off! I just hope the blood pressure I gave him didn't kill him!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭event

€1.30 an hour is a disgrace anyway

positron wrote: »
    I have had the "pleasure" of meeting one such fine specimen myself, I think he works for the harbour (across the quays from Scotch Hall).

I had arranged to pick up my other half there, and it was around 9:15 am and the whole parking lot was free, except for one car at the other end. I pulled in there, turned off the engine, picked up the phone to see where she is, and she is walking towards the car on the other side. I start the car, and look up to see this man standing in front of the car, ready to take down the number! I don't know where he came from, but when he realised I am moving out, he stood there looking at me with utter disgust, shaking his head side to size and muttering expletives. I turned off the car and went out and asked politely, what was wrong? He immediately started shouting at me that "this is no f*cking free car park, and you don't have a f*cking ticket, and you are f*cking asking me what's wrong?". I was totally taken back, but I said "I am leaving now. But I will pay for parking anyway, but only if you have behave more professionally or nicely"! Probably not the cleverest thing to say, it totally wound him up and started shouting more expletives at the top of the voice.

At this stage, my other half was already in the car, so I just laughed at him and drove off! I just hope the blood pressure I gave him didn't kill him!! :D

I wonder if this warden would be surprised if he got beaten up :confused:

I mean I genuinely fear for his safety, with an attitude like that it's only a matter of time if it hasn't happened already, mind you if it was a man I doubt he'd have been so overtly nasty :mad:

positron wrote: »

Everyone i know, including myself, has had run ins with this fool, is a complete knob, and ive heard that behind the sound shop he got a pretty good beating :D

I was walking by there the other day and some guy had got out of the car to go to the meter to put money in it and the guy had already started wrighting the ticket, the other lad exploded! "get the **** away from that car!! ill smash your ****in face in!!"

The warden nearly **** his pants and started stuttering trying to act hard.

other guy: "Dont you even attempt to talk to me, now **** off!!"

the meter guy walked off shaking.

I laughed:D

Its also a known fact around there that he put a ticket on an ambulance.:eek:

Im sure the other guy has had run ins with him before and knew how to talk to him. AKA: scare the life out of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

event wrote: »
    i am always amazed when i go to ardee and i think its 30 cent an hour 2 euro will do you for the whole day:D

rugbyman wrote: »
    If that story is true, small number of minutes, write to the Town Clerk.(assuming you still have the ticket, but write evenif you dont). You may well be let off.
    Rugbyman

I did! On the appeal form there is a section that you can tick saying "getting change" I also spoke about the behaviour of the nazi on duty stating that he refused to change legal euro tender to facilitate me using the machine but got no apology only confirmation that my appeal had been sucessful and I did not have to pay the fine.:)

event wrote: »

It's a disgrace when you can park around the corner for 10mins and it only costs 20c as there's no minimum amount on Drogheda council meters.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

I wonder if this warden would be surprised if he got beaten up :confused:

I mean I genuinely fear for his safety, with an attitude like that it's only a matter of time if it hasn't happened already, mind you if it was a man I doubt he'd have been so overtly nasty :mad:

i dont know why he is taking down your number or any number for that fact.
    Drogheda port company the company who run this, do not have any access to car registration data, so how can they find out who you are.

a guy i know in the legal profession once told me that if you get a ticket from DPC pop it in the bin and thats the last you will hear about it..

the DPC guy is not a proper traffic warden and operating as a standard employee.

Drogheda borough council are the only ones with access to car registration, and are the only properly appointed traffic wardens.

Honda08 wrote: »
    i dont know why he is taking down your number or any number for that fact.
    Drogheda port company the company who run this, do not have any access to car registration data, so how can they find out who you are.

a guy i know in the legal profession once told me that if you get a ticket from DPC pop it in the bin and thats the last you will hear about it..

the DPC guy is not a proper traffic warden and operating as a standard employee.

Drogheda borough council are the only ones with access to car registration, and are the only properly appointed traffic wardens.

About 2 years ago i had around 200e worth of tickets from them, all went in the bin, never heard another thing about.

Wouldnt matter now, the car is long gone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Back on topic, Hallmark is now fully closed so thats another one sadly to be added to the list of shut buildings just on West St.

Rumor has it choice is going too

Jack + Jones are in trouble as a company so the Drogheda shop could be shut soon too. More jobs gone :mad:

Did anyone read the article in the DI this week page 27 iirc , was piece about the state of west st. now and some of the shops that used to be there etc.

Might aswell say hello to the DI here as I'm sure they read this thread ;)

Far as I know, Jack and Jones is already closed now for good in Scotch Hall.
    Did anyone read the article in the DI this week page 27 iirc , was piece about the state of west st. now and some of the shops that used to be there etc.

Might aswell say hello to the DI here as I'm sure they read this thread ;)

LoL. I wonder did we point them in a certain direction or give them a hint for an article? :rolleyes:

...And not even a "thank you" :pac:

I was through the town centre yesterday afternoon and Jack and Jones was indeed closed there, parents told me they were removing all the stock from it there on friday but it did have another name up over the door there yesterday that I can't recall now.

Also I see that 2 of the 3 head shops have been closed in town after the landlords served them notice to vacate, but thats a whole other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

Boyne Books on narrow west street, gone

Boyne Books on narrow west street, gone
    Sadly, that comes as no surprise.
    Right at the dead end of the town really didn't help it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

Biggins wrote: »
    Sadly, that comes as no surprise.
    Right at the dead end of the town really didn't help it either.

Sad about that, they were a good bookshop and hosted events and the like.

• Advertisement

Where on narrow West St was that? Don't remember ever seeing it there :confused:

Advertisement