Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Building Closed! Halifax Closure - West Street

Options
  • 09-02-2010 7:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

Halifax closure is coming soon to West St.
    Anyone got an account there better get their money out now or later it might be a bigger pain to recuperate.
    News story HERE.

That will make it up to 20+ buildings closed now in West St alone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Biggins wrote: »
    That will make it up to 20+ buildings closed now in West St alone.

Really? :eek: I know Tully's is gone and a few others but 20? I have to say Me and the family were frequent west St shoppers but since the 2 retail parks arrived and also factoring in that dreadful traffic system in the town we rarely see West St anymore. Sad really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Really? :eek: I know Tully's is gone and a few others but 20? I have to say Me and the family were frequent west St shoppers but since the 2 retail parks arrived and also factoring in that dreadful traffic system in the town we rarely see West St any more. Sad really.

Aye 20+
    I'm currently working on an article and photographed (so far) the number of shops/businesses closed down and/or crying out for to be used, in west st and a few that are closing soon.
    I started in West st at one end and worked my way over to the other end.
    The numbers soon added up. For example:

Right part just closed up and covered over
    2luubl2.jpg

Three in one go!
    2n8qvpv.jpg

What was "Jumpin' Jacks"
    27x04xz.jpg

...and beside it.
    5ebksk.jpg

zufono.jpg

Another double
    2zppcu1.jpg

163xgy.jpg

Not including the closed shops in the alley beside it!

2zg4soh.jpg

Going...
    15n0xag.jpg

1tvaix.jpg

A double
    15hcw00.jpg

24315oh.jpg

34o1qog.jpg

sb4sxx.jpg

More below...

More:

2pta446.jpg

Previous bank closed (building now empty)
    3004r2h.jpg

259db43.jpg

10rlnx2.jpg

34hwcon.jpg

Thats 23 by my count.

...and thats not including now the Halifax, and others I might have missed.
    All buildings being wasted. ...And that's just West St!
    (...and I've strictly not counted the small shops in alleyways directly on West st)

What used to be "Callans computers" and is now a book shop, I hope also lasts but I'm doubtful.
    That might be another before the end of the year.
    I know one of the discount shops is closing soon too so that will bring the total up so far for West St to 25!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Anyone got an account there better get their money out now or later it might be a bigger pain to recuperate.

no need for that kind of scaremongering! people's deposits are safe for sure.

pretty surprised @ shooters. when did that happen?

• Advertisement

no need for that kind of scaremongering! people's deposits are safe for sure.
    Absolutely.
    They are just making it a bit of a pain to get later though.
    Thats ALL.
    pretty surprised @ shooters. when did that happen?
    "Shooters" not closed.
    The shop beside it is and "Shooters" have just boarded over it.
    They were doing the building a favour. It was a run-down eyesore.

ah ok. i had always thought they had expanded into that.

ah ok. i had always thought they had expanded into that.
    We might have too many pubs as it is anyway but I hope they all stay open if only for the staff's sake.
    Lord knows there is feck all to go to, if any more businesses close (and I know of more elsewhere going, one in stockwell st closing shortly).

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

The landlords of these empty shops need to drop the rent to very little and let businesses build up, it could work out for them in the long run and no use to them empty

See they are putting art displays in all the empty shops on West Street, rte are coming down to video it as well

• Advertisement

See they are putting art displays in all the empty shops on West Street, rte are coming down to video it as well

They are also coming down to record my wife and a group pole dancing for "Operation Transformation" on a Wed' night soon.
    At least the street might look a bit better than just a lot of boarding, with some pictures on display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

They are also coming down to record my wife and a group pole dancing for "Operation Transformation" on a Wed' night soon.
    At least the street might look a bit better than just a lot of boarding, with some pictures on display.

:eek: will keep eyes peeled for Mrs. Biggins ;)

Eurovision going? I know they where not even in the same league as extravision, but still a little surprised.

That shooters place looks like a right tacky hole, when did it change from O Shea's :confused:

The Weavers has been closed long before the current difficulties , and for reasons I will not speculate on here about.

See that place that replaced Hollywood West is gone , no loss , ah hollywood west those were the days. Is the place where the 4 lanterns used be still going?

It's absolutely tragic the way west street is, was over there last saturday morning. Even the market was quiet when i went up that way. Scotch hall isn't escaping either, I see they have plaster boarded over some of the empty units and the new part doesn't seem to be progressing very quickly, sure if they can't fill the existing one what chance have they got with an extension.

Is Mc Alistairs still there? I was glad to see man's world was still there opposite dunnes, hopefully they can keep going. Always had great service there.

i was in mcalisters the other day and it seemed quite busy so hopefully its doing well

osheas changed to shooters a few months ago, already on its way out by the looks of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

when did mc donagh shoes close

whelan1 wrote: »
    when did mc donagh shoes close

After christmas i think they are over at scotch hall now.

:( God how times have changed ...The Weavers used to be a real happenin place. Why did they change it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

calex71 wrote: »
    After christmas i think they are over at scotch hall now.
    could have sworn they where open last thurs when i went to the westcourt

:( God how times have changed ...The Weavers used to be a real happenin place. Why did they change it :confused:
    Successive owners coming along and wanting to stamp their mark on it.
    As a consequence, the place lost its original charm, warmth, got more wider and more open spaced. It got worse and worse with each next owner.

The present female owner lives in one of the estates on the Dublin Rd and is stuck with it.

Whats your article for Biggins by the way ?

calex71 wrote: »
    Whats your article for Biggins by the way ?

One of the websites that I run. "Death Of The High-street" is the current working title.
    ...wait and see, the Leader or the D.I. might jump in and try and scoop me! LOL

• Advertisement

Biggins I'd be interested in reading that...mind posting a link when complete? :)

the Leader or the D.I. might jump in and try and scoop me! LOL

Highly likely i would think given the Leader's affection for the growing up in Drogheda thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I work in one of the retail parks and the sucess of these is down to the exodus of shoppers from West St.
    As a shopper, I used to like West St, it had everything nearby but when the redevelopment and roadworks started it was an absolute disaster for it.
    I for one refused to sit in traffic for half an hour to get from one end of the street to the next to try and get to the car park and pay for the priviledge.
    Now it's up to the retail parks or Tescos, lots of parking available, no parking tickets, no hassle.
    The only time I venture down to West St now is to go to the bank or Penneys, although given time they'll probably move out as well.

Id say they would've killed it anyway, whoever it is that gives permission to all these retail parks and shopping centers are the ones to blame in my opinion(county councils?)

They're not gonna go anywhere either so hopefully the rent in the town drops so low that new and interesting shops start to fill the streets

Id say they would've killed it anyway, whoever it is that gives permission to all these retail parks and shopping centers are the ones to blame in my opinion(county councils?)

They're not gonna go anywhere either so hopefully the rent in the town drops so low that new and interesting shops start to fill the streets

Retail parks are everywhere, with the majority of tenants selling bulky goods that are unsuitable for high streets anyway.
    West Streets demise can only be partly blamed on the retail parks.
    High rents/rent legislation (only recently changed this month) bad traffic management (on top of the ridiculous and expensive redevelopment), and the high unemployment rate in Drogheda is not helping matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

I think it's all about money really - as in, money to the decision makers! :D

The timing of the unnecessary complicated double round-about coinciding with the opening of the South Gate was one that even a 5 year old can put 1 + 1 together. I feel a lot of such 'convenient decisions' were made about the West Street re-development, re-re-development etc, especially during the peak shopping season of the year.

Call me conspiracy-theorist or whatever, it's all clear as a day to me really! :cool:

positron wrote: »
    I think it's all about money really - as in, money to the decision makers! :D

The timing of the unnecessary complicated double round-about coinciding with the opening of the South Gate was one that even a 5 year old can put 1 + 1 together. I feel a lot of such 'convenient decisions' were made about the West Street re-development, re-re-development etc, especially during the peak shopping season of the year.

Call me conspiracy-theorist or whatever, it's all clear as a day to me really! :cool:

As a resident on Beabeg Rd (the road just past the old Europa Hotel heading for Duleek) I was delighted that the double roundabout is finally in place.
    To get out of my road turning right onto the Dublin Rd used to be a nightmare. As I'm sure it was for Grange Rath residents turning up towards Drogheda. I regularly had to turn left and then do a U-turn at the road leading into Grange Rath to access the Dublin Road.
    Not only was it very difficult but very dangerous as cars used to speed up and down the Dublin Road at far higher speeds than the 60km per hour limit that was in place there.
    So as unnecessary and complicated it may be to you, it is of great benefit to me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Oh I totally understand, and the round about is certainly the right thing, no question about that!

But why was it not done for years, and then done just in time for the shopping center, and why was it not done a bit wider is all I that annoys me! It's just too narrow in the middle!

It could be double the size, bad drivers cut lanes on all roundabouts!!
    I was cut off today, indicating right on the second (more southerly) roundabout and a big merc on my outside just barged into my lane and cut me off - probably thought I wanted to get in front of him onto the Dublin Rd!

• Advertisement

The retail parks have some ok shops, and are definitely the right place for stores selling white goods / electricals . Just wish the like of heatons were actually in the town rather than out where they are. But I don't think the retail parks are really to blame for the demise of west st. I really couldn't envisage 90% of the shops out in them being on west st. or anywhere down town, with the exception of scotch hall or the laurance centre.

Does the laurance centre do well? I always forget it's there when I'm in town, was in shaws there at xmas and found it to be ridiculously over priced.

The redevelopment of West st was an absolute farce, I'd nearly go as far as saying criminal :mad: Agree that there were some awful traffic problems but look at what we are left with after all that.

Advertisement