Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

women in the irish army

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

I think your woman made more a show of herself with that book then she did of the army, shes a bit of a joke really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭private2bcadet

tommyhaas wrote: »
    So you wana do an army Cadetship, I reckon your half-way there :p

Claims to know alot more then auctually knows............Check

Taking the moral high ground on a nothing issue...........Check

The 'God I work so hard for my money, they dont pay me enough' mentality...........Check

Repeatedly claim to know more than you auctually know.......Check

A genuine love of telling people what to do.........................Check

An ability to make a good point, yet leave yourself open to accusations of sexism etc....................................................................Check

A true love of authority,.................................................Check

You'll make a fine Officer one day..................................:p

you have far too much time on your hands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Was only a joke, wasent meant to be taken seriously

tommyhaas wrote: »
    Was only a joke, wasent meant to be taken seriously

sorry, my bad... its just this website is full of people who just dont joke, so i assumed you were genuinly trying to insult me... my apologies..

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

sorry, my bad... its just this website is full of people who just dont joke, so i assumed you were genuinly trying to insult me... my apologies..

Don't worry, when anyone associated with the military wants to insult you it will be obvious, and there won't be Smilie at the end:D

Glad to see you took my advice in the manner it was given, and don't worry, everyone at some at some stage or another lets their enthusiasm get the better of them when they are posting. It's that enthusiasm that will get you through the hard days if you do get into the DF, just as long as you keep it to yourself.

If any of the training staff take it in to their head that you have a bit of the RAMBO complex, you will have a target on your chest. Just keep your head down, work your bollox off, and you will get where you want to be in the Army, but don't forget, it all takes time, and sometimes luck!

• Advertisement

SIRREX wrote: »
    Don't worry, when anyone associated with the military wants to insult you it will be obvious, and there won't be Smilie at the end:D

Glad to see you took my advice in the manner it was given, and don't worry, everyone at some at some stage or another lets their enthusiasm get the better of them when they are posting. It's that enthusiasm that will get you through the hard days if you do get into the DF, just as long as you keep it to yourself.

If any of the training staff take it in to their head that you have a bit of the RAMBO complex, you will have a target on your chest. Just keep your head down, work your bollox off, and you will get where you want to be in the Army, but don't forget, it all takes time, and sometimes luck!

thanks, i may have a bit of an 'i know everything complex' / rambo complex when it comes to the DF... but in reality i think its only cos im a reservist and i cant get enough of it yano.. its the general 18 year old wanna b pdf man enthusiasm i have haha. believe me, if i get into the pdf, i most definitely will be keeping the head well down. even in the RDF, you definitely see the rambos being targeted by trainers. i will most definitely admit, im an over enthusiastic adolescent, but when in uniform its not something i like to show. just that i do what im asked and show as much initiative as i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Poccington wrote: »
    No need to start a new one. Everyone makes mistakes, when I first came on here I was getting banned, infracted and all that ****e.

But sure is that not normal for a viking?! :pac:

*Ducks and Runs!*

But sure is that not normal for a viking?! :pac:

*Ducks and Runs!*

ya needn't be duckn and coverin, i havent a bloody clue what your on about with 'viking'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 NicolaBarmy

okay i just want to say if a woman is going to lift sumting or do sumthing lyk dat and a man says "oh i will do dat or i will gat a guy to do it" it is sexist. unless the woman accualy cant do it or has asked for help then its okay but if a man just suddenly assumes it then it is ! Plus men are not always bigger than women , yes i will admit that men are stronger but that never stops us women doing what we have to do :D

And that joke about toast and women is full of **** :L seriorsly dont ever get a career in comedy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping to join the army straight after school and will show anyone who thinks women cant become soldiers THEY CAN ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

okay i just want to say if a woman is going to lift sumting or do sumthing lyk dat and a man says "oh i will do dat or i will gat a guy to do it" it is sexist. unless the woman accualy cant do it or has asked for help then its okay but if a man just suddenly assumes it then it is ! Plus men are not always bigger than women , yes i will admit that men are stronger but that never stops us women doing what we have to do :D

And that joke about toast and women is full of **** :L seriorsly dont ever get a career in comedy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hoping to join the army straight after school and will show anyone who thinks women cant become soldiers THEY CAN ! :D

....No , not unless they can read and write they can't.

• Advertisement

Bit of a retarded reply dnt ya tnk ??
    Haa nearly ever person can read or write its nah dah hard :L:L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

No comms no bombs.

If you can't communicate effectively you might as well go home.

Youu no wha some lads are just naturally sexist but i suppose day cant help it :rolleyes: haa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Youu no wha some lads are just naturally sexist but i suppose day cant help it :rolleyes: haa

Sexism ? Never ! Just some lads prefer to read a couple of sentences that are not riddled with spelling mistakes , dreadful grammar and textspeak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

okay i just want to say if a woman is going to lift sumting or do sumthing lyk dat and a man says "oh i will do dat or i will gat a guy to do it" it is sexist. unless the woman accualy cant do it or has asked for help then its okay but if a man just suddenly assumes it then it is !

If I saw a bloke about to lift something that was too heavy for him I'd do the same thing. Having a hero mentality will get yourself hurt. Manual handling and all that jazz!
    Haa nearly ever person can read or write its nah dah hard :L:L

Based on the above sentence...apparently not;)

delancey42 wrote: »
    Sexism ? Never ! Just some lads prefer to read a couple of sentences that are not riddled with spelling mistakes , dreadful grammar and textspeak.

hahaha awh is my strange way of writin confusing the poor little baby :L wel 2 bad :D and i wasnt really saying that guys are sexist because of what the last person said. i just said it as a normal tng haa :D

BigDuffman wrote: »
    If I saw a bloke about to lift something that was too heavy for him I'd do the same thing. Having a hero mentality will get yourself hurt. Manual handling and all that jazz!

Based on the above sentence...apparently not;)

Yeh sure but alot of things you can say 2 women be be taken as sexism and its not surprising because all men used to think women were there just for cleaning or whatever and im sure there are still stupid guys that tink that now

wow its called text language haa and its handier not because i cant actualy spell :D

Yeh sure but alot of things you can say 2 women be be taken as sexism

Thats the problem. A person male or female should not be in fear of helping / correcting / questioning someone for fear of being called sexist.

Theres a great expression in the DF "all the same or nothing at all" which is infact the best example of equality that I've come across.
    wow its called text language haa and its handier not because i cant actualy spell :D

No problems or grammar nazi sillyness here with anyone that may use the occasional txt spk phrase or have a learning disability. But when sentences become non-sensical due to laziness or "tXt SpEaK" theres a problem with communication.

In the military clarity of communication is bet into everything from the way in which you shout and give orders to how you should speak over a radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

hahaha awh is my strange way of writin confusing the poor little baby :L wel 2 bad :D

You won't get far in the military doing things the easy way rather than the right way. People aren't going to be too impressed if they have to read your communications several times to make sense of it all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

He's the odd thing about the military.. given the occupational subject matter, a little maturity is pretty much a requirement., and clear, concise communication is an imperative.

You need both to succeed in the military world.

NTM

• Advertisement

concussion wrote: »
    You won't get far in the military doing things the easy way rather than the right way. People aren't going to be too impressed if they have to read your communications several times to make sense of it all.

Im not stupid obviously i would not write lyk dis in the military and I no all about the ways of the army disipline or whatever. Members of my family are in it and thats what inspired me to join all the things they get to do wether its little things or big things i want to be a part of that and you can say all you want but it doesnt make a difference to me im determened and i will hopefully succeed. So thanks for all your lovely comments but im young and use text language and i say stuff because im very opinionated that others disagree with but i dont have to grow up yet. trust me i will learn :)

He's the odd thing about the military.. given the occupational subject matter, a little maturity is pretty much a requirement., and clear, concise communication is an imperative.

You need both to succeed in the military world.

NTM

why do you people judge what will happen in my career in the military because some little comments i wrote online ?? what i say now and what will happen in the future have no connection so go ahead and keep saying whatever you want but its not true one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

why do you people judge what will happen in my career in the military because some little comments i wrote online ?? what i say now and what will happen in the future have no connection so go ahead and keep saying whatever you want but its not true one bit.

People judge based on the information presented and the manner in which it is presented, look back at the information that you have given out and take a guess at the opinions that could be formed.

What you say online can and does have a real impact on your career in the real world when someone gets around to joining the dots!

Civvie companies google people and even ask for their facebook details before recruiting and promotion, the military will catch up some day and have a lot more time to spend second guessing and over analysing 4 year old throw away comments taken out of context than private sector organisations.

fenris wrote: »
    People judge based on the information presented and the manner in which it is presented, look back at the information that you have given out and take a guess at the opinions that could be formed.

What you say online can and does have a real impact on your career in the real world when someone gets around to joining the dots!

Civvie companies google people and even ask for their facebook details before recruiting and promotion, the military will catch up some day and have a lot more time to spend second guessing and over analysing 4 year old throw away comments taken out of context than private sector organisations.

So let me get this straight because i wrote these little comments of my opinion on this site it suddenly means it has ruined my chance of people in military wanting to recruit me ? This isn't facebook so why does that even matter ? 4 year old throw away comments :L nice one your just really trying to make me feel confident aren't you !! I'm going to go ahead and say that im going for one of my dreams !! isn't the Irish army trying to recruit more people and its job is help the people around you ? well thats what i want to do ! why do you insist on telling me i have messed it all up all ready honestly is that what you do go around trying to stop peoples future dream job come true because of comments on a site ! I wouldn't have expected that type thing from people but i suppose you never really know what people are going to say to you :/ . I have never done anything wrong i can learn any skill i need to and will always respect what people say to me and their opinion but be truthful. You really think this site means anything to the person going to recruit me ? well if you're right i have made a mistake in what i said but thats the point in growing up .. to learn from them ! Yes i know i just a long kind of blabbering comment and you will laugh at it understand my side of it or whatever but this is my opinion!

Stop reading so deep into what i say and please stop telling me i have messed up a job all ready . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

So let me get this straight because i wrote these little comments of my opinion on this site it suddenly means it has ruined my chance of people in military wanting to recruit me ?

Your words not mine, all I said was that impressions are formed based on the information you present, if you feel that information has ruined your chances then that is your opinion not mine.

Facebook is not the only source of information, whatever you put on this board and most others is indexed and searchable via google - give it a go, try a search for your nick and see what is turned up.

Organisations are getting a bit more savy about the information that is out on the web freely available, in the future that trend will continue and today's posts will still be available in 10 or 20 years time, organisations will just be better at digging it out.

I know that I google anybody whose CV crosses my desk before I decide whether to interview them, followed up by a good search on any organisation or project that they claim membership of, or to have worked on before I make a decision.

You are young and do not have a large internet footprint yet, my suggestion is that you manage that footprint to your advantage or at the very least make sure that it doesn't hurt you in the future - even if that means going back and editing old posts etc. Killing off old facebook accounts or creating a new one that you don't mind if an employer getting a look at are all valid tactics, think of it as an extension of your CV, but keep the old one tight with your friends and watch the privacy settings to avoid leakage, problems usually occur when someone is either dumb enough or is pressured into accepting work people or recruitment agency personnel as FB friends, that immediately exposes your friends details as well as funky photos from the hen night etc. Tagged photos can be a real career killer!

Personally I don't think that DFHQ is that sophisticated yet but eventually it will be and the last thing you need is 4 or 5 year old stuff popping up in a simple search that damages your chances, it is not too difficult to ensure that the "I love minding puppies and killing nasty people in a smart, uniform and soldier like manner" stuff that will help you career shows up first in the search. Have a look at some of the "I love the army so much", "my only dream is a life in green", "I would do anything for my country", "how much does a private earn, but it doesn't matter because I would do it for nothing£ stuff that pops up with increasing frequency and ask yourself are they genuinely naive posts or shameless self promotion in the hope of catching the right eye.

Think of it as online hygiene!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

So let me get this straight because i wrote these little comments of my opinion on this site it suddenly means it has ruined my chance of people in military wanting to recruit me ?
    I wouldn't say ruined, that's way too strong a word. It probably wouldn't help much though if they saw it. Look people here have experience and are just trying to help you with their comments, they're not trying to insult you (and even if you are, try to take something useful for yourself from what they're saying :) )

Stop reading so deep into what i say and please stop telling me i have messed up a job all ready . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

No-one here was having a go or putting you off joining. All the best in your applications and go for it! This is a forum and people merely reacting to the information that was garnered from your replies as they appear on screen, as noone knows each other.

At the risk of sounding like a grammar Nazi, your last post gave exactly the right impression! No txt spk and I didn't have to re-read the post to get the meaning. Clear, Concise etc

See "its nah dah hard" :D

Advertisement