Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eltroxin

Options
  • 07-02-2010 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, and I know this may sound a little narcissistic :rolleyes:, but how long roughly does it take for Eltroxin to kick in... Carrying a bit of extra weight that I'm 99% sure is down to the under active thyroid...

Again, not to sound vein or anything, but roughly how long before it actually starts to show physically... I started Eltroxin over a month ago, and am getting my first blood test done on Monday to see how things are moving.

I know the right dosage has to be allocated and all, but just a ball park figure? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Speak to your GP. s/he will explain you need to be monitored and the strength may need to be adjusted. Eltroxins effects usually show in 2 ways 1. You can sleep or 2. You dont feel so tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I feel your pain! Its not vain or narcissitic either! The first time my dosage was sorted went from a size 14 back to my usual size 10 within about 6 months: the majority in the last 3months!

However my TSH is super crazy at the moment so keep an eye on it and talk to doc when he doing blood test Monday! Everyone is different (for eg I take 350mg eltroxin and am underactive: most people would not be on anywhere near that dose) s/he should be able to give you a ballpark figure but take your time. It is really frustrating but it does take time. I find gentle exercise makes a huge difference to energy levels and thus weight too (I know that sounds trite but I was spending all my days off asleep I was so wrecked and now that I do very very gentle exercise I can go for coffee and meet friends etc)

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

The other thing to remember is that its not a weight loss tool, some people although feeling physically better don't actually lose that much weight!

I lost 14lbs after my second dose increase but am struggling big time with the rest - I see a dietitian and she said that I'll have to work twice as hard to lose the weight :(

Stupid thyroid! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭cltt97

Well, I lost absolutely no weight, I just stopped putting on more! So in my experience just going on Eltroxin is not going to get you back to the before state, but I think it also depends on how long you've been underactive and untreated. My TSH was > 100 when I was diagnosed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kiki3387

Not what you want to hear but I didn't lose any weight either when my eltroxin(also on tertroxin) kicked in! It took a while for anything to happen really!
    And don't be silly it doesn't make you vain it's so frustrating when you see the weight go on, I went up about three or four dress sizes but was eating better and less than I had been when I was slimmer! :mad:
    The good news is that once it all kicks in and you're feeling better and get your energy back up you'll feel much more up to going for walks etc, when I got my energy back and started walking a couple of weeks ago it started to slowly but surely fall off again!:D
    Then again my TSH is up a bit again so hopefully I can keep it up! Good Luck and don't be disheartened if it's not an immediate result, it makes it harder for us to lose weight but also makes us prouder when we do! :D
    x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 orlanemo

fend wrote: »
    Just wondering, and I know this may sound a little narcissistic :rolleyes:, but how long roughly does it take for Eltroxin to kick in... Carrying a bit of extra weight that I'm 99% sure is down to the under active thyroid...

Again, not to sound vein or anything, but roughly how long before it actually starts to show physically... I started Eltroxin over a month ago, and am getting my first blood test done on Monday to see how things are moving.

I know the right dosage has to be allocated and all, but just a ball park figure? :D
    Hey Fend,
    I started on Eltroxin maybe 7 years ago. I have Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) and I thought to begin with that what was going on was attributable to IBD. I remember taking the first dose and feeling amazing. But I have learned since from others that it was not so easy. It takes some months to shift the weight gained.
    Don't worry whatever has accumulated is meant to go eventually. Its not a weight loss drug, but it is making your body work more efficiently - be patient the results will show :)

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Thanks for all your posts, on month 3 now.... And i swear I'm actually sleeping more now than I ever have. I literally cannot stop sleeping.
    Had my bloods done last month and my doctor has me on the right dose now, so he says, and im actually convinced its worse im getting. Not to mention the weight that has suddenly piled on even though i have a balanced diet...

Still waiting patiently for things to kick in.... :o

Remember to get a copy of your blood tests - the right dose does not mean its right for you! I know that I feel best when my TSH is lower than 1 but because the level goes to 3 my doctor is always anxious to increase the dose. I know my body and I know I have never experienced overactive symptoms so for me the lower range is best.

Keep with it, it does take forever and I have to say maybe its just me but I still get so tired so easily! And I know when I'm getting tired - my voice starts to go, strangest thing but when that happens its bed time

I'm not even sure what my levels are... And I wouldn't be able to read them if they were here on paper beside me. When I first had bloods done, doc said that my thyroid was "A touch under active".

He put me on 25mg of Eltroxen straight away. The lowest dose as far as I know. Like I said, bloods were taken few weeks ago again and he said everything was normal, but to continue taking Eltroxin for pretty much, ever.

Since starting, I have not had a period [Which is very unlike me, and yes I have taken pregnancy test etc, ALL NEGATIVE]. I rang up doc soon into my 3rd month and basically asked where the hell was it, to which I got the response, "It shouldn't effect periods"....

My past week has been, bed at 12, up at 3pm :eek: literally because I cannot pull my eyes open AT ALL! I'm after having a little snooze on the couch there for 20 minutes because once again, couldn't keep my eyes open.
    I had awful bad insomnia before I started taking the Eltroxin. I'm talking, bed at 6am, and then no problems getting up again at say 10am or 11am. I had been like this months and months, even close to a year i's say. But it just wasn't healthy. Now I am literally sleeping the weeks away. It's like one extreme to another.

These are really effecting my college work, not to mention my entire life!
    And Google is no help whatsoever. I'm beginning to think, neither is my doctor.:mad:

Really upset about the lack of periods though. I will actually shake hands with it when it comes/If it comes :(

The medication or the disease shouldn't affect your periods, but it is worrying that your doctor is not more concerned. I would push to get this checked as well as getting your results - all the doc is doing is reading them so you may as well too.

Have you spoke to your doc re seeing an endocronologist?

• Advertisement

Figured since and i quote "It's only a touch under active" there was no point in seeing an Endo... Would you recommend seeing one?

Might make an appointment to go see my Scrooge Doc on Friday. See whats the story, but I have this feeling I'll fork over €50 for no answers or, "Come see me in a month if nothing happens"

Having an underactive thyroid can affect periods (according to the 2 endo and gynae i've seen!)Mine can go a bit haywire :rolleyes: Seen an endo (or different doctor) mightn't be a bad idea especially if he's fobbing you off a bit!

An endo can be expensive and I've found out to my cost of no use what so ever! I felt worse after seeing my endo than I did before, his suggestion of anti-d's instead of my eltroxyn didn't seem very professional to me.

You do need to find a good doc, maybe do a little research, find one who understands and is willing to listen. You are entitled to see every piece of info a doc holds on you, this includes your blood tests so insist on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kiki3387

An endo can be expensive and I've found out to my cost of no use what so ever! I felt worse after seeing my endo than I did before, his suggestion of anti-d's instead of my eltroxyn didn't seem very professional to me.

You do need to find a good doc, maybe do a little research, find one who understands and is willing to listen. You are entitled to see every piece of info a doc holds on you, this includes your blood tests so insist on them

That's really interesting, I found that with mine too, no matter what I say when I go in they come back with "your weight is still up"...yes I know but I really have no energy..."you should eat less and exercise more" and so on!
    Also got bloods done in GP's once and TSH was 11 or 12 (can't remember I'm thyroid-foggy in the mornings! :p) and was told that I'd need to wait another couple of weeks to get another blood test because I didn't get them done there! Then they suggested reducing the eltroxin! So I don't know really my own experiences have made me wary of them and I absolutely hate going in for the check-ups!
    As RentDayBlues says though keeping track of your own bloods is important and it helps to do your research so you can object if anything seems odd to you!
    Good Luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I was diagnosed hypo a month ago and have been taking Eltroxin 100 mcg since then....My weight is stagnant..No change what so ever...Apart from that there no other symptom at all..I have been wondering if the 100 mcg is kicking in at all...Cause I don't feel different..Its all like it was before eltroxin..I am planning to get preg but this would be on the way i guess..

If you have no symptoms how do you know the medication is not working?

It is not a weight loss drug - not everyone loses weight on it and most people struggle to lose any at all. It takes 6 weeks for each dose to take effect so you should go back and get your bloods done to check your levels.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I'm on eltroxin 5 years now. I am maintaining my weight and have been told I am one of the many who most likely will never lose it, so I've learnt to deal with it!

One question I do have... when do ye take your eltroxin? I've always been taking mine first thing in the morning but my energy levels are atrocious even though my thyroid levels are normal. Just wonder if my timing might make a difference!!

It does (to me anyway). I used to take mine with my breakfast and my doctor suggested not taking food for an hour after having them. I'm a little bit awkward anyway, but seems to be making a difference: i normally take mine about 9 and dont eat till about 11: it lets them be absorbed easier apparently.

cyning wrote: »
    It does (to me anyway). I used to take mine with my breakfast and my doctor suggested not taking food for an hour after having them. I'm a little bit awkward anyway, but seems to be making a difference: i normally take mine about 9 and dont eat till about 11: it lets them be absorbed easier apparently.
    yeah i checked it out on line and most people take theirs at night time. My consultant said I should take them first thing in the morning which I have been doing. I'm not due to get my bloods done for another few months so will just stick to what I'm doing.

Any suggestions on increasing energy levels?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

I currently take mine at 6.30am, then go back to sleep for an hour. :)

I understand that for optimum absorption you shouldn't eat or drink for an hour after taking Levo, and you should also take it on an empty stomach.

However, as I understand it, the world won't end if you don't do this. Its more important that it is taken at the same time each day...and any effects on absorption, ie eating or drinking, just means you might have to have your dose adjusted higher to account for the reduced efficacy.

I did broach the subject of taking it last thing at night, but my Endo insisted that would cause insomnia and sleeplessness, as thyroxine naturally is one of the 'get-up-and-go' hormones. Hence why the drug manufacturers recommend taking it first thing in the morning.

I'm not sleeping well** at the moment anyway, so have no desire to make this worse...just not getting tired at all in the evening, and still wide awake and doing housework or computer stuff at 2am each night....however, despite not getting more than 5 hrs a night for the last month or so, I don't feel tired in any way...and my levels are bang on with a TSH of 1.1, so happy days :D

**Actually, re-reading that sentence...when I do sleep, I sleep soundly and wake-up feeling rested, so not quite true to say I'm not sleeping well....perhaps its just after so many years of hyper-hell, with my levels pretty much spot on for the first time in too many years, maybe I'm just discovering that I don't need as much sleep as I used to. As I say...despite not sleeping for 8 hours/night I'm not tired during the day at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

**Actually, re-reading that sentence...when I do sleep, I sleep soundly and wake-up feeling rested, so not quite true to say I'm not sleeping well....perhaps its just after so many years of hyper-hell, with my levels pretty much spot on for the first time in too many years, maybe I'm just discovering that I don't need as much sleep as I used to. As I say...despite not sleeping for 8 hours/night I'm not tired during the day at all.

Be careful dolldishmop-with your sleeping pattern,it sounds like you could be running on adrenaline which is not good...

I diagree with others here who say weight is not an issue with hypothyroid. If one is eating a sensible diet and doing decent aerobic excercise and not losing weight then eltroxin ain't doing it's job properly.

ChewChew wrote: »
    Any suggestions on increasing energy levels?

Exercise! I am (ever so slightly) lazy. Even when I was well I didn't exercise. I've taken up kettlebells and the improvement is dramatic. The first few weeks were horrendous: I was exhausted but slowly my energy levels increased. Its really hard when you are so tired to work up the determination to keep going, but the difference is great.

Also keep your bloods checked regularly: at one stage when i was bad i had them checked weekly, and they are still very closely monitored. That way any change is picked up very quickly and my Eltroxin adjusted. Watch your iron levels too: low iron or ferritin levels can affect thyroid absortion. Also watch antibiotics too: I was in with a locum doc today and he prescribed me something he really shouldn't have as it affects the absorbtion of eltroxin.

Just to put it in perspective, my TSH is 16 at the moment, my T4s are 11 and i take 500 mg of Eltroxin every day :D So i am highly underactive, but have oodles more energy now then I did 5 months ago, which is great. And this is an improvement for me so I take what I can get :)

I sympathize with the tiredness, it never goes away, I could cry some mornings due to it!

I am going to get adrenalines tested to see if this is the problem.

As to taking my meds - I take them around 7:30 each morning and then eat around 9. I also take B12 and iron for energy, tends to help a little. Exercise is the way to go, but its hard when you are so tired.

I visit a dietitian now and then and she said for most people who are under active you have to work twice as hard to lose weight. I am overweight and its a battle to lose it but with a lot of calorie counting, exercise and low carb it is slowly going

And on the levels, my most recent results came back with a TSH of 0.25 and a Free T4 of 20 and I still feel awful - tired, overweight, no energy. I should be feeling hyper symptoms but I don't with the exception of a higher temp but that's it. I wish I could feel normal :(

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

I was diagnosed with Hypo 3 years ago. I am now on Eltroxin 100. Levels increased from 50 up to 150 while I was exp with my ds.

I find that as much as I try to eat right and go to the gym I only tone and do not loose weight. I have been told by consultant that this is no unlike most of the Hypo population.

I do know the tiredness is a big factor with me and if my levels are at all off I will have absolutely no energy whatsoever and that ain't then best when you have two small kids!

I am 30 and have kind of come to the realisation that I won't be much smaller than a 16/18. It may not be easy for everyone to do but I think with Hypo you have to realise that there are somethings you can't change about your body even with the best will in the world.

For the record I was told alot of scary stories about being pregnant while hypo - I had no problems and was monitored extra closely . Just incase it is anything anyone is worrying about.

yeah I walk every evening and have a relatively decent diet due to seeing my dietitian once a month. Unfortunately all I am doing is maintaining my weight, not losing it.

My energy levels are embarrassing. this morning I woke feeling ok and by 10am I was yawning as my colleague talked to me. I just cant win. I am getting on average 9 hours sleep a night and getting excercise in the evening and my bloods are checked quarterly. ah i just dont know.

I was at one stage, going to work, coming home sleeping for an hour, going to bed at 11 and sleeping till 2/3 on my days off, napping again about 4-7 and back in bed for 11. It is just so exhausting being that tired all the time so I know where you are coming from. :mad:

I can't really advise much, just stick with it. Can you get a 2nd opinion from another endo?

cyning wrote: »
    I was at one stage, going to work, coming home sleeping for an hour, going to bed at 11 and sleeping till 2/3 on my days off, napping again about 4-7 and back in bed for 11. It is just so exhausting being that tired all the time so I know where you are coming from. :mad:

I can't really advise much, just stick with it. Can you get a 2nd opinion from another endo?
    oh jesus, I'm still at that stage!! I am living for saturday so I can get out of bed about 2! :o and I'm on berocca too!! :(

I've considered it. My GP flogged me off for years and then I went to a new GP and got an endo referral. I really like my Consultant and believe he has done all he can do. but then again, whay do I know? Maybe a trip back to my new GP would be no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Hi,just wondering if anyone here has had hyperthyroidism previsously to hypothyroidism????
    My thyriod is all over the place but I'm really really weary of having it destroyed or remover!!!I'm looking for information and advice anywhwere I can get it.:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

ChewChew wrote: »
    I really like my Consultant and believe he has done all he can do. but then again, whay do I know? Maybe a trip back to my new GP would be no harm.

Definately. I'm a big believer that there's always something there that will make you feel better! I can't emphasize that enough. Honestly the difference with me is huge lately. I haven't even napped yet today :rolleyes: And I have been though two years of hell. Coming of the pill seems to have been a huge catalyst in my case so something simple could make a big difference :)
    Hi,just wondering if anyone here has had hyperthyroidism previsously to hypothyroidism????
    My thyriod is all over the place but I'm really really weary of having it destroyed or remover!!!I'm looking for information and advice anywhwere I can get it.:confused::confused:

I was! I have Graves Disease and had the RAI (radioactive iodine) when I was 19 5 years ago. I was fine for two years, dodgy for two years (as in underactive) and am fine again now. I know theres more people on here who had the surgery so they might be able to advise you.

I'd take underactive over been overactive any day of the week. I went into a thyroid storm twice and I would never ever go through that again. I also gain more weight when I'm overactive than underactive. I had no control over the twitches in my legs, and had palipatations. SO yes I would have the RAI again in a heartbeat. I haven't been hospitalise with an underactive thyroid once, but was in 3 times with an overactive. It is WAY harder to control.

Also be wary of the information on a lot of websites: alot of it can be inflamatory, incorrect or downright wrong. Try stick to reputable sites and you should be fine! You don't want to scare yourself and keep a list of questions for your endo/gp.

Advertisement