Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay more tax to bail out Public Servants?

Options
  • 06-02-2010 1:57am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Public Servants, ah those with secure jobs and pensions, they are not too happy atm with a mere downgrade of their "quality of life". Or so said a recent letter to the Irish Times by "Barry" who was moaning about his measly 53,000 a year and 300k mortgage. (he describes himeself as a "low to middle pay public worker" btw, 53,000!) Not a mention of course of the further 3,000 actual wealth creators added to the dole from the private sector. What is their "quality of life" like now I wonder? The mere fact this letter talked about "quality of life" had me fuming. "Quality of life"!?. Well thats what they are moaning about and treathening to strike over. Im left asking did I force him, as a taxpayer, to take out his unaffordable mortgage? Did I do something wrong? It's like the teacher who was attacking Brian Lenihan for the mere pension levy because she had a 600k mortgage.

So I am contemplating this. Their Unions threathen us in the real world who create money with strikes (i.e everyone in the private sector) and they use the argument about "bailing out banks". Considering alot of Public Servants seem to have made stupid financial decisions themselves I want to ask

Are you prepared to pay more tax to bail out public servants?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Ah not tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

I am in my Billix minimum wage from now on because they are nothing special a Wombat could there work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Just get rid of the incremental pay rises based on years of service as a mechanism and in a few years the system would rectify itself.

10% paycut but you will automatically get X% increase

thats simple economics.

Madness and a spin

I couldnt make it Up in the Cuckoos Nest

Pot wrote:
    I am in my Billix minimum wage from now on because they are nothing special a Wombat could there work

Pot Noodle is right -they dont have special skills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

darkman2 wrote: »

Yes, I've set aside two grand for such a situation.
    Happy now?

• Advertisement

CDfm wrote: »

Hurrayah

mikom wrote: »
    Happy now?

Assistant Secretary me tinks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

:rolleyes:

Pot wrote:
    Assistant Secretary me tinks

You're a traveller?

They are probably Special Though

• Advertisement

You're a traveller?

MIKEY HOW ARE YA

Happy now?

Send the money to Pot Noodle= - he handles all donations of that type PM him your address and have the money ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bean na gaeilge

Firstly, I hate the way you generalise public servants and presume we are all secure etc .... studied 4 years for my qualification, had no financial help from parents... now I'm teaching and getting sweet f a... pay has been cut 3 times since I started teaching. I understand what you are saying but not all 'public servants' are in the same boat. Im not even hitting the 30k a year and I am hoping to build a house, it will be a long time in the pipeline. I hear my collegues complaining about 'the quality of life' change etc, but all that means for them is cutting down on a few holidays a year, or having to cut back on forking out 50 or 60 euro a week on manicures, facials etc, a luxury most of us never have had to begin with. I see your point, but less of the generalisation please!:D

Pot wrote:
    MIKEY HOW ARE YA

Not a bother boss.
    Have ya seen me brudder John Paul about?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not a mention of course of the further 3,000 actual wealth creators added to the dole from the private sector.
    How much wealth does the non-exporting private sector (which is a big chunk of it) generate for this country.

But BnaG you studied and it was your choice. You would not be working as a teacher if the pay and conditions were better elsewhere now would you.:rolleyes:

EDIT 436 a week net is not bad starting off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

A half serious reply for a change in AH !

No - I would not pay more tax to bail out "Civil" Servants .

I really beliefe that though there are many dedicated and hard working civil servs - there is a serious canker all acoss the Public Service.

Not entirely their fault...take somebody in a local authority charged with dealing with the public....what incentive have they to be helpful and go the extra mile..the "customer" can't go elsewhwere..and the whole supervisory structure is to avoid responsibility at all costs.

Not a surprise realy that we should be so poorly served by our Public Servants .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Firstly, I hate the way you generalise public servants and presume we are all secure etc .... studied 4 years for my qualification, had no financial help from parents... now I'm teaching and getting sweet f a... pay has been cut 3 times since I started teaching. I understand what you are saying but not all 'public servants' are in the same boat. Im not even hitting the 30k a year and I am hoping to build a house, it will be a long time in the pipeline. I hear my collegues complaining about 'the quality of life' change etc, but all that means for them is cutting down on a few holidays a year, or having to cut back on forking out 50 or 60 euro a week on manicures, facials etc, a luxury most of us never have had to begin with. I see your point, but less of the generalisation please!:D

When he's finished feeding from the bottom of the pond he posts up this crap from time to time, don't take it to heart and finally, don't humour him with a response.

But BnaG you studied and it was your choice. You would not be working as a teacher if the pay and conditions were better elsewhere now would you.:rolleyes:

To be honest I would work as a teacher. I love my job and love the language. I worked for 6 years as a bar maid, loved every minute of it and the pay was crap but it got me by. The only downfall there was the shifts played havoc with my health. My career was my choice just like everyone chooses thier own path. I could be worse off, Im lucky to have a job I know that, don't get me wrong but not every public sector worker has it easy with big fat wage cheques every two weeks or 50 k + of a salary.... thats my point:rolleyes:. Any one who is complaining about being on 60k or that a year obviously has major priority issues....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

When he's finished feeding from the bottom of the pond he posts up this crap from time to time, don't take it to heart and finally, don't humour him with a response.

How about you don't insult posters? I shall refrain from complaining...for the moment. You would be better served presumably modding whatever forum you mod rather then having a go at other posters. That will only result in bad things happening.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice.... ps I lost a few classes this year due to cut backs.... so that 436 is no more.... :mad:

Ok guys time for the leaba.... I'll leave ye to it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

aint this a simple principle....

Public sector workers your employer is broke. That employer is the irish state. Your employer gains its income to pay its employees through taxation of its citizens. Another problem...citizens are broke - through a combination of unemployment and debt. Solution for irish state - pay less to employees.

I should be the feckin taoiseach! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

if it irritates you, I'll pay whatever is asked of me.

Some things money can't buy...but your populist hysteria?
    Very cheap and worth every penny.

he has a point -lots of public and civil servants benefited with huge payrises from unsustainable tax revenue as a result of the housing boom.

huge increments and earning wages up to 50% higher than the public sector and 20 to 30% higher than the european average for the same work.

taking an ostrich in the sand approach wont work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for the advice.... ps I lost a few classes this year due to cut backs.... so that 436 is no more.... :mad:

Ok guys time for the leaba.... I'll leave ye to it

Goodnight, and thanks for your service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The only people this topic irritates for it's exposure to 1000's of posters is Civil Servants. Im not supprised at their reaction. The minority unfortunately for those is the public servants. The majority think as I think. And that worries public servants.

To be honest I would work as a teacher. I love my job and love the language. I worked for 6 years as a bar maid, loved every minute of it and the pay was crap but it got me by. The only downfall there was the shifts played havoc with my health. My career was my choice just like everyone chooses thier own path. I could be worse off, Im lucky to have a job I know that, don't get me wrong but not every public sector worker has it easy with big fat wage cheques every two weeks or 50 k + of a salary.... thats my point:rolleyes:. Any one who is complaining about being on 60k or that a year obviously has major priority issues....

the current crop are overpaid - pity there isnt more of you who appreciate the cushy (and i use the word loosely) role

In a free market you would be able to compete and get the job you deserve

Pot Noodle= is taking up a collection 2,000 is the usual donation. Have it ready and he will make sure it goes to the needy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

SeaFields wrote: »
    aint this a simple principle....

Public sector workers your employer is broke. That employer is the irish state. Your employer gains its income to pay its employees through taxation of its citizens. Another problem...citizens are broke - through a combination of unemployment and debt. Solution for irish state - pay less to employees.

I should be the feckin taoiseach! :cool:

Good post pal ...but the gimpos dont seem to get it...feeling is that no matter how low the economy sinks "we should be paid the same".

Uh Oh ! Reality check needed urgently..

Why do they not get it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

The majority think as I think. .

It's cute you believe that, but AH is a classic angry tabloid echo chamber.

Just because you can create any topic about public servants being universally awful and have 20 mouth breathers jump on board saying how awesome you are doesn't mean you speak for the people, kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

This thread makes want to vomit in rage!:mad:

Advertisement