Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick tyre Question

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Brilliant! You learn something new every day :D

See you wouldn't get this kinda info that you can look back on in future from a regular tyre fitting station ;)

Time to order finally! Whoo

Got the tyres yesterday and got them fitted today. The fitter suggested to fit them at the front as it's front wheel drive. I think I'll still swap them around anyway. Got some stands in Lidl for a tenner so they'll come in handy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,082 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just be sure the wheels you're putting on the front are balanced! Imo, you should have insisted they go on the rear at fitting time.

Not your ornery onager

Would the back ones I'd be putting on the front not have been balanced themselves when they were originally done? How could I tell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Weights on the wheels would be a good indicator.

You'll know if they are out of balance when ya drive it. If you get a wobble as you hit 40/50 mph that you didnt have before then it is more than likely balancing

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. So it's not just a case of swapping the backs for the fronts? What could have changed since the last time the back wheels were balanced? Where would the weights be? I don't want to discover that the wheels are off when I'm in the middle of a 700 mile round trip I have at the weekend :eek:

Hitting a pothole can effect them.

Really? Would they not be off balance on the back then anyway? Or would putting them on the front, and the front ones on the back cause more troubles I wonder?

Many tyre fitters don't even balance wheels going on the back, it's only noticeable through the steering so back wheels don't matter a whole lot really. You could well put the backs on the front and if they are not balanced have serious vibration through the steering wheel.

Never knew that. So as long as it doesn't vibrate or wobble I should be ok?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    Never knew that. So as long as it doesn't vibrate or wobble I should be ok?

Yep, but prior to switching them see is there weights on the back wheels, if not no point in doing it as the vibration will be unreal and you'll have to swop them straight back.

How would I check if there's weights on the back wheels? What do they look like?

Is it these thingies:

lead-weights.jpg

If they aren't on the back, could it just mean that they weren't needed?

Edit: I guess so: http://www.ehow.com/video_4936499_wheel-weights-balancing-tires.html

That's them, although if you have alloys there are also stick on oned that go on the inside of the rim. I presume you don't have alloys though. If they are not on its because the wheels were not balanced as they were going on the back.

Hmm, just had a look, one back wheel has a weight on it, the other doesn't. They are two different brands of tyres so maybe they were fitted at different times by different fitters, one balanced, one didn't?

Probably should have just got 4 vredesteins, although the 2 on the back still have a good bit left in them.

Can anyone explain why this guy suggests to diagonally rotate the front tyres with the back? http://www.ehow.com/video_4992769_car-tire-rotation-rotate-wheels.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

IMO, and it is only my opinion rotating tyres is a load of balls.

You can't diagonally rotate tyres that have directional threads as they will end up facing the wrong way.

Put the rears on the front and drive it. It may very well be grand. If not get them balanced or put them back

Do you think rotating tyres in general is a load of balls, or just diagonally rotating the fronts to the back?

Advertisement