Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quick tyre Question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks for the feedback :)

I don't see any sportrac available in my size, do you know if they are similar to the hitrac?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

I always have put new tyres on the front and always will. It takes roughly 200-300miles to scrub the releasing compound used on new tyres to wear off and tyres to come good.

In REAL world driving conditions having more grip at the front wheels is the be all and end all - stopping distances are the most crucial thing. Its your front wheels that lock up under braking. At the end of the day your typical mother of three with a renault scenic wont be driving her car around town anywhere near the limits required to have the rear end break away even in poor weather conditions. That extra grip at the front for braking could be the difference between ending up someones backside or avoiding an accident however.

Its important to remember that those videos/demonstrations are all done on track with cars pushing their boundaries, something that doesnt (shouldnt!) happen on the road with 90% of cars. In these instances front wheel grip and braking effort is the most important factor. New tyres to the front for me please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

cormie wrote: »
    I don't see any sportrac available in my size, do you know if they are similar to the hitrac?

Similar; here's a comparison on the Camskill site - in my tyre size.

Linky-dink.

Highlight the Vredestein brand and click "apply filter".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thanks for the feedback :)

cormie - are these going on a car or a van?

If they are going on a van (even an Astra Van), don't forget to get the proper commercial rated tyres, otherwise it's a straight DOE fail and you'll have to shell out for another set.

What the tyres have to be, I don't know, but Slidey in the 4x4 forum would be able to tell you.

Thanks again for the replies everyone!

Jaysus ROR, I didn't realise it would have to be reinforced tyres on the Astra! Thanks for pointing that out! Guess that limits the options a lot then and means the Vredestein are out of the question :(

• Advertisement

oh hang on, it appears the Vredestein ARE reinforced, infact, they are the only 175/70/R14 van tyres on either camskill or eiretyres, hows that for luck :)

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=71814648.124.16678&typ=R-119186&ranzahl=4&Breite=175&Quer=70&Felge=14&Speed=H&weiter=0&kategorie=6&Ang_pro_Seite=15&rf=1&Transport=P&dsco=124

I think the XL in the product description means it's for extra load capacity?

Ok I'm a bit confused, the hi trac on camskill aren't listed in van tyres, infact, no 175/70/R14 is listed in the van tyre page. On Eiretyres, the only result for 175/70/R14 reinforced, is the Vredestein, and this model is stated as XL. The ply on the vredestein camskill page is also stated as XL. Camskill doesn't mention anything about it being a summer or winter tyre, Eiretyres says it's a summer tyre.

The two sites appear to have the same tyre, but they don't seem to be categorised the same :confused:

So much for the thread title anyway :o

This does highlight why it is often better to go to a tyre fitter (in real life) and have a chat and price some tyres. Compare the difference to buying tyres on line, factoring in that often you mightn't have a clue what you are buying and deciding that it may be wiser to buy them in a tyre outlet :)

Ah but where's the misery in that? :D

See the problem with me is, I like to put in the misery the first time I need something to be sure I'm getting exactly what's right for me (at the best price ;)), then I'll know for future reference and always be able to go for that option or from that source. I even based buying my Luton transit on the fact I had a transit already and knew a good place to get parts and a great transit mechanic and once I know about if these tyres are suitable for DOE, I'll probably keep buying them from the same place at the good price and getting them fitted at the same place (as I have before) :)

Ok I'm a bit confused, the hi trac on camskill aren't listed in van tyres, infact, no 175/70/R14 is listed in the van tyre page. On Eiretyres, the only result for 175/70/R14 reinforced, is the Vredestein, and this model is stated as XL. The ply on the vredestein camskill page is also stated as XL. Camskill doesn't mention anything about it being a summer or winter tyre, Eiretyres says it's a summer tyre.

The two sites appear to have the same tyre, but they don't seem to be categorised the same :confused:

So much for the thread title anyway :o

Still confused about this, Googled and have read that 6pr is for commercial vans and 4pr is for normal cars, but the Vredesteins don't mention 6 or 4 anywhere!

This is the last thing I need to know before I order, just that they are ok for commercial DOE, any help would be appreciated :)

• Advertisement

Another quick question actually, it says on eiretyres that the price includes VAT, however, I don't see anywhere stating that this is Irish VAT. As far as I know, they are based in Germany, so does anyone know if it's German VAT or Irish VAT (Which I can claim back in my return a LOT easier than if it was German).

• Registered Users Posts: 73,426 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don't think you need commercial tyres on an Astra van. From Toyotas I know that Yaris Vans, Auris vans and Corolla vans use the same tyres as the passengers, and commercial Touregs etc with 20 inch wheels don't use commercial tyres.
    They're car derived vans, which would be different to say a Transit etc.

I checked the tyres on it and there's no mention of 6 ply, XL or anything like that, it just says 175/70/R14 T, and I think T is the speed rating so I'm not sure if the one on it, which would have passed the last DOE, are reinforced themselves:confused:

As long as the Vredestein are the ones I need and wont pose any problems with the DOE, then I'll buy them straight away, but I don't know if they are :o

For example, the tyre size listed for a Combo is 175/70 R14 T

So do you think the Vredesteins would be ok then? :)

If it was me, I'd buy them.

Yeah I've been putting it off long enough I think :) Would be interesting to hear what ROR thinks just incase he knows something we don't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,091 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cormie, just follow your usual practice - do all the research, then buy the cheapest ones you can find! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Yeah I've been putting it off long enough I think :) Would be interesting to hear what ROR thinks just incase he knows something we don't :)

I'm not 100% sure on the whole thing. I just know we recently had a DOE fail on a Navara because (along with other things) the tyres weren't the correct rating for a commercial. In the past I know a load of Combo's in 04 failed their first DOE as the factory tyres weren't the correct rating.

Slidey, one of the Mods in the 4x4 forum is a DOE tester, so would be the best man to ask. Car derived vans might not need commercials tyres, but I'd double check before buying them and having to replace them to pass a DOE.

Cool, I'll pop Slidey a PM and ask him to have a look here, he'll regret you telling me he's a DOE tester :D

Even if it DOES need commercial rated tyres, are the Vredesteins not suitable if they are rated XL?

Ah Esel, with tyres I'd go for the expensive options, got the best tyres I could find for the Transit, Michelin Agilis and they cost loads :eek: But I'll still drive on a near empty tank if I know there's cheaper fuel ahead :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You called?? :D

The tyres you linked to have a load rating of 88.

The load rating is the only spec that you need worry about with regards to DoE. Tyres with a load rating of 88 are suitable for an axle up to a weight of 1120kg.

I would imagine on a Astra van this should be good enough, just check your vehicle plate to be sure.

Thanks for the reply and the PM :) jeez, this is getting more complicated than I imagined.

Just having a look at the log book anyway and the permissible mass (GVW) is 1795kg with the Unladen weight being 1141kg. I'm not sure if this answers the question on the axle weight though?

This is getting looney, why not call into a tyre fitters :)
    I'd nearly pay myself at this stage :D

Thanks for the reply and the PM :) jeez, this is getting more complicated than I imagined.

Just having a look at the log book anyway and the permissible mass (GVW) is 1795kg with the Unladen weight being 1141kg. I'm not sure if this answers the question on the axle weight though?

Its the axle weight, not the unladen/gross

Just looking at the log book under Axle weight (N1-N5 KG) and it says 0 on all :confused:

Where's the plate you mentioned? :)

Think it is a sticker inside the drivers door below the lock.

Weights will be in this order:

Gross
    Train
    Axle 1
    Axle 2

Ok cool, so if Axle 1 and Axle 2 have an individual weight (not combined) of less than 1120kg, then the Vredestein Hi Tracs will be fine. I'll be able to check later and report back anyway :)

Basically yep.

So long as both are below or equal to that you will be grand

Thanks again :)

Here's a photo of the plate on the door anyway:dsc00036cs.jpg

I guess the 1 and 2 are what I'm supposed to be looking for? Good news anyway if that's what I'm after :)

• Advertisement

Yep thats the weights.

load-index.jpg

This is the load index chart for single wheels. Multiply the weight by 2 for each axle.

Advertisement