Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 109 Predictions + Live Thread

Options
  • 05-02-2010 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Well its almost time for another one :D roll on Sat night! Predictions?

Main Card

* Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman
    * Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen
    * Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago
    * Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller
    * Welterweight bout: Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

Preliminary Card (Spike TV)

* Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs. Justin Buchholz
    * Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs. Ronnys Torres

Preliminary Card

* Lightweight bout: Phillipe Nover vs. Rob Emerson
    * Light Heavyweight bout: Brian Stann vs. Phil Davis
    * Heavyweight bout: Tim Hague vs. Chris Tuchscherer
    * Heavyweight bout: Rolles Gracie vs. Joey Beltran

I think the Swick v Thiago should be a great fight, tough one to call. Putting a 10euro acc on the 4 I most fancy serra, maia, marquardt and couture :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Damn! I came in thinking I had good picks and find out you're almost identical.

The only one I differ on is Nover vs Emerson. I think Nover will take that one. Stann vs Davis is a close one and I'm sure Stann is the bookie's favourite but I think Davis could get the upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

couture
    serra
    thiago
    marquardt
    maia

thiago is 7/4 with boyles and i think
    its a huge price
    i fancy thiago strongly to beat swick.
    if fact i dont see what swick can do
    to beat thiago and i think he'll be
    exposed again tho maybe not in
    the same fashion as with hardy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Is it just me or is Sonnen officially the biggest prat in mma.
    Lines like "Camp is for kids"(referring to training camp)
    He also claims Anderson silva speaks perfect english and just doesnt respect the fans enough to speak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Is it just me or is Sonnen officially the biggest prat in mma.
    Lines like "Camp is for kids"(referring to training camp)
    He also claims Anderson silva speaks perfect english and just doesnt respect the fans enough to speak it.

having just watched the countdown he certainly does appear
    to be a prat.
    I'll enjoy watching marquardt destroy him even more now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Hiya guys, just wondering will most of the bookies take bets on ufc events, would be fun to throw 10euro on

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

JJayoo wrote: »
    Hiya guys, just wondering will most of the bookies take bets on ufc events, would be fun to throw 10euro on

Most of the main ones, PaddyPower in particular:
    http://www.paddypower.com/bet/ufc-mma

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

sonic.trip wrote: »
    Well its almost time for another one :D roll on Sat night! Predictions?

Main Card

* Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Mark Coleman
    * Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Chael Sonnen
    * Welterweight bout: Mike Swick vs. Paulo Thiago
    * Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Dan Miller
    * Welterweight bout: Matt Serra vs. Frank Trigg

Preliminary Card (Spike TV)

* Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs. Justin Buchholz
    * Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs. Ronnys Torres

Preliminary Card

* Lightweight bout: Phillipe Nover vs. Rob Emerson
    * Light Heavyweight bout: Brian Stann vs. Phil Davis
    * Heavyweight bout: Tim Hague vs. Chris Tuchscherer
    * Heavyweight bout: Rolles Gracie vs. Joey Beltran

I think the Swick v Thiago should be a great fight, tough one to call. Putting a 10euro acc on the 4 I most fancy serra, maia, marquardt and couture :)

Agree with most. I think Coleman will surprise the world and get the win and Paolo Thiago will annihilate Swick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

Coleman to beat Couture..would have loved to see this fight 10 years ago,still better late than never

Nate the great to beat Sonnen

Thiago and Maia to have submission victories

Please God let Serra win , i hate Trigg.

Lord Muck wrote: »
    Coleman to beat Couture..would have loved to see this fight 10 years ago,still better late than never

Nate the great to beat Sonnen

Thiago and Maia to have submission victories

Please God let Serra win , i hate Trigg.

Defo fancy Coleman to beat Randy, Randy should have lost his last fight to Vera while Coleman had a decent win, 1/4 for Randy just isn't right IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

All the Coleman predictions are making me nervous, do people really think he'll beat Randy?

I've an accumulator on Couture, Marquardt, Maia and Serra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭dicey1664

really cant see coleman beating randy, hes just got take down and ground and pound, randy was able to get back up and revearse lesner when they fought so should be able to do the same to the smaller coleman. reckon hell keep him against the cage and get a decision, would love a knock out though:D

dicey1664 wrote: »
    really cant see coleman beating randy, hes just got take down and ground and pound, randy was able to get back up and revearse lesner when they fought so should be able to do the same to the smaller coleman. reckon hell keep him against the cage and get a decision, would love a knock out though:D

Id dance a jig if Coleman won but the guy has no knees left and questionable cardio.

PRIDE GP 2000 was ten LONG years ago.

^ Stating the obvious

Nice read and an interesting note on the influence the Dublin crowd had over the fate of Coleman's UFC career:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=ApBHPYkQ0sIljDjZdGFb5_w9Eo14?slug=dm-coleman020410&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

rovert wrote: »
    Nice read and an interesting note on the influence the Dublin crowd had over the fate of Coleman's UFC career:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=ApBHPYkQ0sIljDjZdGFb5_w9Eo14?slug=dm-coleman020410&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

wow. i never knew that they both fought previously during their wrestling careers. This is probably the twentieth time i've wrote off Couture, but i still think he'll loose tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Id dance a jig if Coleman won but the guy has no knees left and questionable cardio.

PRIDE GP 2000 was ten LONG years ago.

^ Stating the obvious

Get ready to dance:D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Slightly off topic but does anybody know if you can bet on UFC in a paddypower store or is it just online?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

bret69 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but does anybody know if you can bet on UFC in a paddypower store or is it just online?

Both.you can request teh odds in store and place the bet there too.You can really piss them off and get the person taking your bet to look up odds for a 6 fight accumulator while a huge line of punters queue up to bet on the dogs racing in 10 seconds time:D

davmol wrote: »
    Both.you can request teh odds in store and place the bet there too.You can really piss them off and get the person taking your bet to look up odds for a 6 fight accumulator while a huge line of punters queue up to bet on the dogs racing in 10 seconds time:D

Thank god for the betting terminals in my local shop thats all Ill say! Im too embrassed to ask for odds on UFC. :(

Speaking solely on Randy i think he's extremely over-rated, his record should stand at 16-11 IMO(had Vera won the fight, abut apparently holding someone against the cage is deemed higher then devastating stand up), not the record of a 1/4 shot IMO.

He's barely fought a non-title fight since he was constantly given shots even after just losing the belt, his win resume is nothing to be scared of in the modern era, the likes of Chuck and Tito have been losing left/right and centre the past few years.

I'm not saying he has no chance, just i think this fight is a LOT closer then the bookies and most are calling it. And i say that on recent performances, Coleman ran Shogun close who to the masses beat the invincible Machida, then had a decent win against Bonner, while Randys coming off the back off two losses and a suspect win in his last.

If Randy was 5/2 i'd back him, but it's Coleman who is so ill be putting my money there as i think he has a great chance

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JohnMac93

sorry guys but could someone tell me whats the craic is with this being televised. I'm with ntl so I just recently got espn... are they showing the main card fights?

• Advertisement

JohnMac93 wrote: »
    sorry guys but could someone tell me whats the craic is with this being televised. I'm with ntl so I just recently got espn... are they showing the main card fights?

Seems like it they showing the Prelims too:
    http://tv.espn.co.uk/schedule/

Which is cool as I what to see if Tuchscherer reprises his role as Hans Moleman from UFC 102:
    tuchscherer.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭dicey1664

probably the most painfull kick ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Martian Martin

I am baffled by the volume of people thinking Coleman has a good chance of beating Couture. Really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Which is cool as I what to see if Tuchscherer reprises his role as Hans Moleman from UFC 102:

Pre lims already underway

Joey Beltran def. Rolles Gracie via TKO (strikes) -- Round 2, 1:31

Chris Tuchscherer def. Tim Hague via majority decision (29-28, 29-28, 28-28)

Sounds like couple of poor fights so far

lol audio issues

**** all people there even for an intermission

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mac Danzig wins by unanimous decision after a very very close 3 rounds. Good last 3rd round from Danzig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

That_Guy wrote: »
    Mac Danzig wins by unanimous decision after a very very close 3 rounds. Good last 3rd round from Danzig.

yeah. also thought
    Melvin Guillard was bit lucky with that decisuion win. Thought the take downs may have lost him a few rounds

Devastator wrote: »
    yeah. also thought
    Melvin Guillard was bit lucky with that decisuion win. Thought the take downs may have lost him a few rounds

I didn't actually see that fight tbh. I'd be expecting Serra to do the job against Trigg next.

Serra wins by knockout. Caught Trigg on the jaw. Powerful punches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nice KO there by Serra, job well done

Good working link (for how long i don't know) here http://www.iraqgoals.net/ch3.html

Advertisement