Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Authenticators

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Uttik

Overheal wrote: »
    Just got mine in the mail. I expected it to be bigger, but its no longer or wider than a house key.

I am still waiting,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Got hacked a few weeks back and found out they had a mobile authenticator so went and got that after! Could have saved me alot of bother had i known before. Also free so why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

Is it not only free for the iPhone? [I have a blackberry]

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its less then a euro for the mobile authenticator afaik. Its not available for my phone (c902) without a bit of editing though, so i can't be arsed tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Just got mine in the mail. I expected it to be bigger, but its no longer or wider than a house key.

so your used to that size then eh? :D

• Advertisement

Shougeki wrote: »
    Is it not only free for the iPhone? [I have a blackberry]

I have a blackberry also and it wont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,001 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

TechnoPool wrote: »
    so your used to that size then eh? :D
    jokes aside its as small as a cruzer usb drive. convenient.

jokes aside its as small as a cruzer usb drive. convenient.

I am waiting for mine still. Its been like 3 weeks so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

I just got mine, there is a 3 or 4 week delay if you read their website.
    I got hacked before but I got everything back, fair play to Blizzard, but with this I hope to be secure.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ivan

iPhone App is a must have if you have an iPhone/Touch/etc. and play WoW at all. The key I'm a bit reluctant about as I'd be terrified of losing it and as painful as repossessing a compromised account is; having to go through the same steps because you lost the key, which is more likely than the account being hacked in the first place, would keep me from getting it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Uttik wrote: »
    I am waiting for mine still. Its been like 3 weeks so far

Patience, my Padwan!

Mine took 5 or 6 weeks to arrive on the slow boat. Ordered around Chrimbo, arrived the second week in february. And now I discover that I need it to log into the account management website as well. Which, while it makes sense, is a bit annoying as the fob is at home on my desk...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

I'd imagine not being able to log into account management while in work would make your day very boring.

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Patience, my Padwan!

Mine took 5 or 6 weeks to arrive on the slow boat. Ordered around Chrimbo, arrived the second week in february. And now I discover that I need it to log into the account management website as well. Which, while it makes sense, is a bit annoying as the fob is at home on my desk...
    Yeah but it feels so safe doesnt it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Got the key ring 2 years ago during the world wide invitational blizzard hosted in paris. deffintly a life saver. But when I return to Ireland and get a iPhone, im deffintly going to go get the app, since you are hardly ever going to lose your phone. Since sometime I leave the key next to my desk and head to the local internet cafe and cant play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Think ill splash out a couple of euro for one. But that said, i do believe you should get one free, considering you had to buy the game, 2 exspansions, pay a sub and buy the next exspansion. I suppose its better to have piece of mind than to worry about some twat hacking ur account you have spent years on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Yeah I just got done :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Seriously, run Secunia on your computer and if it comes up 100% and assuming you're also malware and virus free with decent software installed to cover both, then maybe you can relax a little.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online

^^ For the online version or...

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal

^^ For the full version (free) for your computer, put it in advanced mode and let it run in the background. Uninstall IE if you have windows 7 and if you really want to be 100% secure, uninstall firefox also and only use the latest Opera beta (10.5b2 I think it is).

The vast amount of hacks these days though are to your email account used with Wow, which is then used to reset your Wow password, delete the emails from Blizz and leave you wondering wtf just happened - but they must've got your email details from somewhere, whether that's via keylogging you or something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Basically, what the virus does is fairly simple after you're infected :
    • The next time you log in World of Warcraft, the game asks for your Authenticator code.
    • The virus intercepts it, send it to another server, and sends a wrong one to Blizzard = You get an error.
    • The people behind the virus now have a few seconds/minutes to use the "real" code while it's valid to change your password / empty your account / guild bank.

How to check if you're infected
    Just search for a file named "emcor.dll" on your computer, it is most likely located in "C:\Users\(Your user name)\AppData\Temp" but I suggest that you check everything just to be sure. If you do find the file, delete it and make sure you update your anti-virus to prevent any further problem.

To be honest, if you found this file your account is probably already compromised.

What does it mean exactly?
    • Yes, you can get hacked even if you have an authenticator, the chances are MUCH lower but you're not invulnerable.
    • It definitely isn't an excuse to not have an authenticator. We're talking about a single virus here and the authenticator will save your ass 99% of the time.
    • Get a decent anti-virus, buy an authenticator, you'll be safe.

Money well spent eh? :eek:

Yeah its still well spent.

Your email account is still going to be Verified through Battle.net and you will still have to verify through your email account before major changes are made to your account. You'll still be able to perform a password recovery. That gives a hacker maybe a couple minutes with your account.

Its still a perfectly good measure of security, even if its unable to prevent Realtime attacks.

http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread.html?topicId=12730404058&sid=1&pageNo=1#15

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;64681198']Yeah I just got done :(

Did you get hacked too?

:(

• Advertisement

Yup. My lvl 80's and a few lvl 70's got hit, along with the gbank of my mains, and alt bank.

Blizzard were pretty quick in returning (everything except my alt bank stuff, but i'm not too bother. It only had a few rare gems in there).

I scanned/checked everything I could and couldn't find anything, though it might have been through checking my email in work - they might have had something on their PCs, and they took my details from my email account. So i've changed all of those details too.

Alternatively some people in my guild seem to think it's an ex member who's hit a few people in the guild who might be to blame. But if that were the case I still can't see how he could specifically target me. They don't even use a guild website, and it's an anon login for TS3, with no specific password for individuals.

So yours was not a Man-in-the-Middle Attack? [which has been getting Authenticator Accounts through a .dll file]

What its going to come down to next is they will make you input an Auth Code/Password whenever you switch toons. Which would only be mildly annoying, and harder to fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;64681198']Yeah I just got done :(

That sux big time, i hope who ever they may be, catches a dose of the crabs:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;64704658']Alternatively some people in my guild seem to think it's an ex member who's hit a few people in the guild who might be to blame. But if that were the case I still can't see how he could specifically target me. They don't even use a guild website, and it's an anon login for TS3, with no specific password for individuals.

Oh this story pops up every so often in trade and guild, it's a load of balls. If anything it wasn't an ex guild mate at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;64704658']Yup. My lvl 80's and a few lvl 70's got hit, along with the gbank of my mains, and alt bank.

Blizzard were pretty quick in returning (everything except my alt bank stuff, but i'm not too bother. It only had a few rare gems in there).

I scanned/checked everything I could and couldn't find anything, though it might have been through checking my email in work - they might have had something on their PCs, and they took my details from my email account. So i've changed all of those details too.

Alternatively some people in my guild seem to think it's an ex member who's hit a few people in the guild who might be to blame. But if that were the case I still can't see how he could specifically target me. They don't even use a guild website, and it's an anon login for TS3, with no specific password for individuals.

Same happened to myself, again no trace of any keylogger or anything on this system. Any chance your old boards.ie password was similar to your WoW password and the email was the same?

Yeah it was the same password iirc. Same email for both. So if it were that they'd have my email (login) and password.

Changed my passwords now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;64764582']Yeah it was the same password iirc. Same email for both. So if it were that they'd have my email (login) and password.

Changed my passwords now though.

My password was a simple variant of my old boards.ie one. I'm finding the coincindence a little too much. Multiple boards.ie users getting hacked (I'm assuming you and I aren't the only ones) with details that could have been harvasted from the hack a while back if they'd broken the salt on the password file which while difficult and timeconsuming isn't impossible.

Advertisement