Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Authenticators

Options
  • 04-02-2010 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how many of you have them,

Seeing how Falcon got himself hacked, not wanting that to happen to me, and the fact that they're ridiculously cheap @ $6.50 (with a pet!) I figured why not.

But thats just me.

Do you Have an Authenticator (USB/App)? 40 votes

Yes, I've had one a while
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, I just got/ordered one recently
    37% 15 votes
    No, I don't think they're worth it
    27% 11 votes
    No, I want Blizzard to give me one for Free
    7% 3 votes
    No, But I really should....
    12% 5 votes
    Whats an Authenticator?
    15% 6 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Uttik

I was hacked on Sunday, Dont know how, My PC/network is clean as well ways, But i ordered one, I want to make sure it never happens again,

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Had one when they came out.

On my ipod, free and all when I got it oddly enough.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Had one when they came out.

On my ipod, free and all when I got it oddly enough.

I bought it for my phone, Even tho my phone was on the list of supported phones, It wouldnt work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

^^ it's free for the Iphone :p

Nehaxak wrote: »
    ^^ it's free for the Iphone :p

I have a blackberry,

I have been thinking about getting a Iphone, But they are just not worth it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Well that sucks they charge for the authenticator app on other phones :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Dont have one, dont plan on getting one. I suppose i'd take one if they were free, but i'm not paying extra for one. I keep my system secure, i'm aware of what i click/open, i have a strong password....i'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

I was toying with the idea, and at €7 they aint that expensive. Less than a packet of cigarettes.

But i couldnt be arsed ordering one online...... If they were in the game shops, then i'd prob pick one up....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I really should get one, but haven't bothered yet. I am playing from Linux which reduces the likelyhood of keyloggers a fair bit though.

Are you playing though wine or have you crossover working? I keep meaning to get around to playing from linux, but tbh dont actually ever get around to it.....

If anyone in Dublin *IS* ordering an authenticator soon, order a spare one and ill give you cash. Have an aversion to credit cards atm. :P

• Advertisement

Playing quite happily through Wine. Gave up on Vista as it was ridiculously slow in general (30+ seconds to alt+tab out and back), plus I was getting random disconnects and higher pings.

Might give linux a lash then. Work with it daily at work, but dont really bother at home, unless i need it for something....

Kiith wrote: »
    Dont have one, dont plan on getting one. I suppose i'd take one if they were free, but i'm not paying extra for one. I keep my system secure, i'm aware of what i click/open, i have a strong password....i'll be fine.

Bull ****.

Its only a matter of time, It took 6 year for me to get hacked! And i can 100% tell you, My PC was/is clean 24/7

Shougeki wrote: »
    I was toying with the idea, and at €7 they aint that expensive. Less than a packet of cigarettes.

But i couldnt be arsed ordering one online...... If they were in the game shops, then i'd prob pick one up....

Dude, I am waiting now over 5 days for my items to be returned, The only reason i ordered one was, The down time in getting your items back to you, Is worth the 7 euro!

That involves ordering one.

And there is no such thing as a 100% clean PC. If you believe that, you are wrong.

That involves ordering one.

And there is no such thing as a 100% clean PC. If you believe that, you are wrong.

You know what i mean, Put it this way, It had no keyloggers or anything that would lead to my account being hacked!

Happy now :P

PS:: it took me less then a min to order mine.

Its going to be even faster for you, Here is the link :D

Still an invalid statement :P

There is a possiblity, albeit ridiculously small, that there was a zero-day logger/hack that grabbed your details.

But it was probably your email. :P

Still an invalid statement :P

There is a possiblity, albeit ridiculously small, that there was a zero-day logger/hack that grabbed your details.

But it was probably your email. :P

Well if you take in to account, I use my gaming rig for gaming only. I use my server as a server and another PC just for the net,!

I only login to WoW with the gaming rig!

But it just shows. it can happen to anyone.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Uttik wrote: »
    Bull ****.

Its only a matter of time, It took 6 year for me to get hacked! And i can 100% tell you, My PC was/is clean 24/7
    Its really not bull****. Your system is only as secure as your make it. They obviously got your login details from somewhere. Whether it was a keylogger, from clicking links on other sites, or brute force; i cant say. But there was a hole in your security somewhere.

Might i get hacked? Yes, i might. But i still dont think the Authenticators are worth bothering. And i'm not criticizing you cause you got hacked. It could happen to anyone....i just dont think it will happen to me.

Its really not bull****. Your system is only as secure as your make it. They obviously got your login details from somewhere. Whether it was a keylogger, from clicking links on other sites, or brute force; i cant say. But there was a hole in your security somewhere.

Might i get hacked? Yes, i might. But i still dont think the Authenticators are worth bothering. And i'm not criticizing you cause you got hacked. It could happen to anyone....i just dont think it will happen to me.

I thought the very same Mate,

All i can say, Its worth the 7 euro for peace of mind!.

Am i happy that i had to go and buy one, Just to get PoM. NO i am pissed at blizzard.

but the fact is. I am still waiting for my stuff, I have missed out on a week of HC farming, and Daily HC. Not taking in to account the gold i would have made etc!

Just my 2 cent mate

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Blowfish wrote: »
    Playing quite happily through Wine. Gave up on Vista as it was ridiculously slow in general (30+ seconds to alt+tab out and back), plus I was getting random disconnects and higher pings.
    Vista is not exactly the most memory managed OS, for sure for sure. And your problem definitely sounds RAM related. You may have noticed the Hard Disk getting busy during a tab - thats the awl' pagefile getting used.

Upgraded from 2gb to 4gb on my laptop - its gone from a 30 second tab (or The Windows Key of Death) to Instant Tabbing. Best $60 I ever spent.

As for Security you can take Every precaution and still get hacked or lose control of an account. Hell it might not even come from your computer when it happens. Google Operation Aurora. Or look at the attack on boards. They dont have to get to your machine necessarily to get into your accounts. Many boards.ie users have lost control of their email and other accounts without ever being hacked.

At least with these Authenticators that information will do SFA for them if they dont have the Authenticator's cypher to pair with your login id and password.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Vista is not exactly the most memory managed OS, for sure for sure. And your problem definitely sounds RAM related. You may have noticed the Hard Disk getting busy during a tab - thats the awl' pagefile getting used.
    The machine is a Q6700 with 4gb RAM, if it was in any way hardware related it would affect Linux too, but it doesn't. In fact for a little side project thingy I'm doing, when running under Linux I'd have between 2-4 VM's running (CentOS/Red Hat mostly), yet there is no slow down when doing that either, even though it pretty much maxes out my RAM usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Uttik wrote: »
    I was hacked on Sunday, Dont know how, My PC/network is clean as well ways, But i ordered one, I want to make sure it never happens again,

The chances of getting hacked in any mmo are so low that the obvious causes are always over looked.Do you honestly think your username/password were somehow realised to get into your account ?
    Either you bought gold or power levelling or just visited one of these sites offering such things as they don't actually need you to login or download anything anymore.
    Or you account shared.
    Or actually replied to the spam emails that phishers are sending.
    There isn't a hope in hell that your username or password could be both found without doing any of the above.Even the ****tiest of mmo with unsecure websites will offer you that protection.
    Don't visit keylogging sites is more than enough protection for any mmo.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Its probably worth noting that you can get infected by simply visiting a legitimate site which has something injected into it, lets put it like this boards was hacked and if the admin's here can edit the templates then we all could have been exposed to malware.

Hell the site itself need not be compromised itself, if its got a compromised ad-server associated with it can have the same effect.

If you think you need to be opening dodgy emails or visiting dodgy sites to get malware you're deluding yourself, which imho puts you in a worse position since at least someone going to those sort of sites is at least aware of the risks.

lol!

Whats the point.

d22ontour wrote: »
    The chances of getting hacked in any mmo are so low that the obvious causes are always over looked.Do you honestly think your username/password were somehow realised to get into your account ?
    Either you bought gold or power levelling or just visited one of these sites offering such things as they don't actually need you to login or download anything anymore.
    Or you account shared.
    Or actually replied to the spam emails that phishers are sending.
    There isn't a hope in hell that your username or password could be both found without doing any of the above.Even the ****tiest of mmo with unsecure websites will offer you that protection.
    Don't visit keylogging sites is more than enough protection for any mmo.

:rolleyes:

What you said is true, But do you really think i am stupid enough.

A> I have never had the need(nor would i) to buy gold or get powerlvling,
    B> I have never or would never visit one of them sites, or click on one of them services!

With the layers of protection i have. I know 99.99999% for sure it wasnt on my end!

Its simple as that.

But the fact is, I have still bought a fog, for that .00000001% i cba waiting another week for my account to be restored and thats the only reason i bought one. To save down time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Mine finally arrived, it's probably pointless, but feckit, that little core hound is just so damn cute!

2 Espressi wrote: »
    Mine finally arrived, it's probably pointless, but feckit, that little core hound is just so damn cute!

Still waiting on mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

+1

You don't need these if you don't do stupid crap on the net... If you have any clue at all you shouldn't need one of these things.

This is going to sound bad!!

it wont be long till you have a "I have been Hacked" Thread :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just got mine in the mail. I expected it to be bigger, but its no longer or wider than a house key.

Advertisement