Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland inter counties championship

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    What sort of average do you need to be competitive at one of these things? I love to compete but i'm not interested in making a tit of myself in public. I average at about 38.

70 for the better teams 65 or so for the mid level ones and the lower teams like Monaghan etc... have a couple of good players but alot who average in the mid to high 50's.

Instead of thinking in terms of average think of it this way, you'll be competitive if you can finish in 21-24 darts 90% of the time. You'll win against the average player if your out in 18-21 and you'll compete with our top players and probably win if your out in 15 to 18 darts most the time.

Carrickman wrote: »
    WTF that man is from Derry (no offense to Campbell), shower of $%^& they wont give lads in our area a chance to play for their county it is a closed shop (its not hard to know the chairman of the INDO is living in Donegal) how can this be? I cant believe that they are getting away with this.

This is the county board that objected at the last minute a few years back about 3 of our leagues players playing for Meath you don't know half of the crap that goes on up here lads.

I don't understand why all counties don't have qualifiers.

Here in Mayo the system is great tbh so you know if you don't make it theres no politics just simply the fact you didn't produce and the panel are the ones who deserve to be there.

Basically everyone outside of the county panel meets for 4 days playing about 40 games in a round robin system. 2 points for a win and 0 for a loss. You total up your top 3 days points and the top 9 or 10 advance to do the same format against the bottom 10 county players.

The 10 best from those than make the panel with the top 8 average wise from the season before.

Gives everyone a chance and a shot and you don't end up with beginners going up against the cream of the county and see them constantly getting hammered and possibly losing heart and interest. Its fair and competitive and if good enough you'll get your shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

padr81 wrote: »
    I don't understand why all counties don't have qualifiers.

Here in Mayo the system is great tbh so you know if you don't make it theres no politics just simply the fact you didn't produce and the panel are the ones who deserve to be there.

Basically everyone outside of the county panel meets for 4 days playing about 40 games in a round robin system. 2 points for a win and 0 for a loss. You total up your top 3 days points and the top 9 or 10 advance to do the same format against the bottom 10 county players.

The 10 best from those than make the panel with the top 8 average wise from the season before.

Gives everyone a chance and a shot and you don't end up with beginners going up against the cream of the county and see them constantly getting hammered and possibly losing heart and interest. Its fair and competitive and if good enough you'll get your shot.
    Must say that sounds a very good system for players to qualify for their county team. The standard of darts in the Erris league is very good,watched a few games last year and the standard was quite high.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vindaloo1

Dartgod wrote: »

Originally Posted by vindaloo1 viewpost.gif
    Goes under Tyrone in the Players Championship, Donegal for the INDO Inter-counties.

He got in as he was not playing senior county in NIDO, got NIDO clearance, and was playing in Donegal leagues.

It stinks of packing teams but not much that can be done if he meets criteria.

What criteria ??? - - - it is very unfair on genuine county teams who rely on their own players to compete in the Inter-Counties and then come up against "packed teams" !

This has been going on for years !

N.B. No disrespect to my good friend Campbell Jackson.

The criteria being the bit in red above - ask Joe as there was a long discussion about this at the AGM.

padr81 wrote: »
    70 for the better teams 65 or so for the mid level ones and the lower teams like Monaghan etc... have a couple of good players but alot who average in the mid to high 50's.

Instead of thinking in terms of average think of it this way, you'll be competitive if you can finish in 21-24 darts 90% of the time. You'll win against the average player if your out in 18-21 and you'll compete with our top players and probably win if your out in 15 to 18 darts most the time.

I was told years ago, before my first one, that if you can throw 60 all the way you'll have a shot at a finish a lot of the time. I thought the lad who told me was messing about, but it is true, unless you meet someone on deadly form. 24 darts will win a lot of legs, as the best of 3 is a killer of a game when you are not used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

An enjoyable weekend all round. We are happy enough with where we got but you know when you get to that stage you want to push on and win it. Young Sean was unlucky to miss a few doubles that could have put us 4-0 up against Cork and I think that would have been enough.

Just a word to say the dart boards they use are a disgrace, old Winmau Masters and Bulls Advantage boards, rubbish.

AndyP wrote: »
    An enjoyable weekend all round. We are happy enough with where we got but you know when you get to that stage you want to push on and win it. Young Sean was unlucky to miss a few doubles that could have put us 4-0 up against Cork and I think that would have been enough.

Just a word to say the dart boards they use are a disgrace, old Winmau Masters and Bulls Advantage boards, rubbish.

Absolutely, they really do need to get some new boards they have the same ones for 10 years. even in the final there was about 40 bounce out.

btw ye did well Andy, I'd of said hi if I knew you lol... thought ye had cork but they came back strong.

Anto Caldwell had at least 6 bouncers in his game against Kerry, he won it but it was a critical game which shouldn't be decided by poor boards. They should take a leaf out if Joe Coynes book with the way he runs the Leinsters.

Who was the bloke with the eh, hair??

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭pejesus

can any one tell me why most of the boards were taken down on sat night the lack of practice boards up there was shocking.

Anto Caldwell had at least 6 bouncers in his game against Kerry, he won it but it was a critical game which shouldn't be decided by poor boards. They should take a leaf out if Joe Coynes book with the way he runs the Leinsters.

Must be John Bosclair if you are on about the Mayo player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Gotta say, I was surprised by how poor the standard was. I was up covering it for the paper so was paying close attention. Standard was brilliant early on in the day, but 3-4 o'clock it really started dipping. The amount of 30+ legs was shocking for inter county standard.

The giant bar in the corner probably didn't help, but I was really disappointed!

On the other hand I did see back to back 180's for an attempt at 9 darter, but again that was early in the day

that was John boisclare, hes from boston great player and a good laugh.

Gotta say, I was surprised by how poor the standard was. I was up covering it for the paper so was paying close attention. Standard was brilliant early on in the day, but 3-4 o'clock it really started dipping. The amount of 30+ legs was shocking for inter county standard.

The giant bar in the corner probably didn't help, but I was really disappointed!

On the other hand I did see back to back 180's for an attempt at 9 darter, but again that was early in the day

Tbh there was only about 8 or 9 decent dart teams there, Donegal, Cork, Kilkenny, Dublin, Mayo, Kerry, Meath and Westmeath. Alot of the other teams Limerick included had half a team, maybe 6 good players and very little behind. Alot of underperforming teams, maybe not poor players but players who couldn't produce on the county stage. Alot of matches started out with top darts for the first 5 or 6 games and than the standard dwindled away as they reached the weaker players.

It was by no means poor. It might not have been what you expected but you have to understand the pressure when you step to the line. It affects the best out there.
    Also, Sunday morning on was the time to see the standard upped, some amazing darts from all involved considering the tension.

Advertisement