Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting older and your age

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

chakotha wrote: »
    I'll be forty this year.

Fúcking Hell.
    Relax I`ll be fifty:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Turning 30 is a bit of a mile stone, according to the law you'll no longer be considered a "young" person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well the law can kiss my wrinkly old arse so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Doc wrote: »
    .. I have always looked younger then my age
    .. I have not deteriorated in the last year in fact I’ve probably gotten a bit fitter
    .. I’d say I would think I was about 5 or 6 years younger then I am.

I bet chicks love it when you tell them this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

walshb wrote: »
    Horizon last night did a programme about aging and how scientists are trying to find medicines to slow down the process. I missed it, anyone see it to explain?
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Yea was interesting.basically there are a few mechanisms to aging. Telomeres getting shorter so cells slowly stop being able to replace e older
    Theres research into a product called TA6 which is a telomerase (telomere enzyme) in the hope it prevents them shortening. Costs €25k a year though :eek:

That French lady was amazing for 102..she looked about 70! Id only want to live that long if i looked semi decent and had all my faculties intact. Also, if all your friends and family have kicked the bucket its not going to be much fun hanging around till your 150 is it?:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,998 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

caseyann wrote: »
    I know i see people i know and dont even like to say their age:confused:

I dont care about age at all never have and i see my friends oh no i am turning 24 oh no 25 lmao, how sad to be afraid of getting older,sure doesnt everyone else around you to?:D I wonder i think maybe more fear of getting uglier and dying haha

No pics or GTFO.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

LOL, the ads at the bottom of the page are about 50th birthdays and such. :D

And I'm turning 50 in April. :rolleyes:

Now, where's me pipe...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You're only as old as the woman you're feeling :pac:

...somebody had to say it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

I reckon there's a gender divide when it comes to this. I'm 31 and didn't give a stuff about hitting 30 when I did.

However my other half is hitting 30 this year and I can tell it's praying on her a bit. I think girls have the midlife crisis a few years earlier than guys, one of her friends even bought a convertible last year for her own 30th to comfort herself (this girl had proper mental issues about it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Pfft, I don't care about getting older tbh. I've more money, sense, confidence and freedom now then I did when I was 19 and also oddly women my own age seem to becoming more attractive to me as I trundle toward 30. It's as tho they've finally got all the 20somethings flaws out of their systems (the herd mentality wrt to both appearnce, attitude, and personality) and are only finally developing into interesting people at last.

So bring on old age I say!
    walshb wrote: »
    Horizon last night did a programme about aging and how scientists are trying to find medicines to slow down the process. I missed it, anyone see it to explain?

Didn't see it but slightly o/t I do remember someone explaining aging to me is like photocopying a page of paper over and over again. Each copy you make is slightly worse than the one before until finally it just doesn't work well anymore. If you could find a way to copy the page (or in our case cells) perfectly everytime then theoretically you could live forever.
    However my other half is hitting 30 this year and I can tell it's praying on her a bit. I think girls have the midlife crisis a few years earlier than guys, one of her friends even bought a convertible last year for her own 30th to comfort herself (this girl had proper mental issues about it).
    Probably the ol biological clock ticking there. Stick a bun in her oven and she'll probably calm down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

anniehoo wrote: »
    Also, if all your friends and family have kicked the bucket its not going to be much fun hanging around till your 150 is it?:(
    My family live a looong time and what I noted is that they are quite self centered, deaths of friends of their own age while hard isnt mulled over and they have younger mates and "younger" interests.

Id agree though if living to 500 was possible tomorrow, I reckon few would make it mentally. A 1000? almost none. It would also screw society up in a big way. People judge themselves by their progress in life. Leave school, college, job, travel, meet someone, break up meet another someone, get hitched/settle down, have kids, watch them grow up, retire etc. People take these solid milestones for granted in the background, with some diffs between genders. People are often suspicious of men and women who dont follow the plan(though the plan changes with culture).

Imagine if there was no rush. Couldnt be arsed with college now? Meh do it when your 150. Kids? Meh maybe 90, maybe 300. The job market would be hit too. Actual young people would be badly hit. You go for an interview and a guy is competing for the job with 90 yrs experience and is as fit and healthy as you? Game over. Then what about those who couldnt afford it? Could even lead to civil unrest and wars over it. If we ever do discover functional immortality or major healthy life extension into the 500yr mark then society would have to change radically.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mir

turned 38 lastmyear and age never bothered me before. now however 'ive become a seperated mother of three young children, that's fin but the grey hairs are coming thick and fast. never dyed my hair before but think i have to now, face is getting older looking too. not looking forward to forty aaaaaahhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I can totally understand anxiety about getting older at any age from 18 onwards tbh - the thought of adulthood is scary.
    But when people say stuff like "I'm 22 - so old" and act like they're old fogies, it's a bit lame...
    I stopped giving a sh1t in my early 20s though - nothing you can do about. Just enjoy your life as best you can, and don't let your age define you - or hold you back if it doesn't (obviously stuff like becoming a professional athlete in your 30s is pretty much out of the question).

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

seeing the decades disappear aint a good feeling ......n turning 40 is a REAL bummer !!!:eek:

gee thanks....
    I'll be 40 in a couple of weeks...in the last 10 years I've made some major life-changes...quit a crappy job that was making me mentally ill, paid off my mortgage, moved to a place where I and my family have a better quality of life, and in the last month I've finally got my hearts desire (and the thing I've been asking Santa for since I was 9) and bought a horse

40.....bring it on.... I'm slimmer, fitter and happier than I've ever been.

Dudess wrote: »
    I can totally understand anxiety about getting older at any age from 18 onwards tbh - the thought of adulthood is scary.
    But when people say stuff like "I'm 22 - so old" and act like they're old fogies, it's a bit lame...
    I stopped giving a sh1t in my early 20s though

I'm sure you'll start caring again once you fail the pencil test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

You've only REALLY failed the pencil test when your arse holds onto it.

Dudess wrote: »
    You've only REALLY failed the pencil test when your arse holds onto it.

Really? I thought failure was when it looked like you were doing an impression of Christy Brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

My family live a looong time and what I noted is that they are quite self centered, deaths of friends of their own age while hard isnt mulled over and they have younger mates and "younger" interests.

Id agree though if living to 500 was possible tomorrow, I reckon few would make it mentally. A 1000? almost none. It would also screw society up in a big way. People judge themselves by their progress in life. Leave school, college, job, travel, meet someone, break up meet another someone, get hitched/settle down, have kids, watch them grow up, retire etc. People take these solid milestones for granted in the background, with some diffs between genders. People are often suspicious of men and women who dont follow the plan(though the plan changes with culture).

Imagine if there was no rush. Couldnt be arsed with college now? Meh do it when your 150. Kids? Meh maybe 90, maybe 300. The job market would be hit too. Actual young people would be badly hit. You go for an interview and a guy is competing for the job with 90 yrs experience and is as fit and healthy as you? Game over. Then what about those who couldnt afford it? Could even lead to civil unrest and wars over it. If we ever do discover functional immortality or major healthy life extension into the 500yr mark then society would have to change radically.

society would not have developed the way it has if we were all going to live to 500 . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Why do people care so much about a number? Its not like you can change it?

Does not compute.

I feel I'd need a few hundred really to get through the typical stages comfortably.

Advertisement