Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting older and your age

Options
  • 04-02-2010 2:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

It always puzzles my why some people put such emphasis on turning certain ages.

I’m 29 and will be turning 30 in the summer. Now since turning 18 my age has never bothered me (before I was 18 it did because I couldn’t buy drink). I have always looked younger then my age and generally don’t talk about it too much as I don’t see the point.

But with my 30th coming up this year some of my friends have been mentioning it like its some cataclysmic event that will herald the end of all things fun. I mean how will my life actually change?

Why is it better to be 29 then 30? Physically I have not deteriorated in the last year in fact I’ve probably gotten a bit fitter, my hair is light brown and doesn’t have any more gray in it or if it dose you wouldn’t notice it.

Last night I was talking to a friend of mine who’s birthday is on the weekend and they told me they where depressed because they would be turning 25! WTF!

Why do people care so much about a number? Its not like you can change it?

Also as an aside if you woke up tomorrow with amnesia and didn’t know your age what age would you think you are just looking in the mirror and by the way you act?

I’d say I would think I was about 5 or 6 years younger then I am.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Its ok old man, go back asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Doc wrote: »
    It always puzzles my why some people put such emphasis on turning cretin ages.

I’m 29 and will be turning 30 in the summer. Now since turning 18 my age has never bothered me (before I was 18 it did because I couldn’t buy drink). I have always looked younger then my age and generally don’t talk about it too much as I don’t see the point.

But with my 30th coming up this year some of my friends have been mentioning it like its some cataclysmic event that will herald the end of all things fun. I mean how will my life actually change?

Why is it better to be 29 then 30? Physically I have not deteriorated in the last year in fact I’ve probably gotten a bit fitter, my hair is light brown and doesn’t have any more gray in it or if it dose you wouldn’t notice it.

Last night I was talking to a friend of mine who’s birthday is on the weekend and they told me they where depressed because they would be turning 25! WTF!

Why do people care so much about a number? Its not like you can change it?

Also as an aside if you woke up tomorrow with amnesia and didn’t know your age what age would you think you are just looking in the mirror and by the way you act?

I’d say I would think I was about 5 or 6 years younger then I am.

It doesn't matter OP. I've never really understood the hysterics in regards to aging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

its not just a number, its one more year closer to death. fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭itsnotmyname

seeing the decades disappear aint a good feeling ......n turning 40 is a REAL bummer !!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It always puzzles my why some people put such emphasis on turning cretin ages.

I suppose i would put emphasis on it if i was turning cretin too.

1. cretin

A Person that is: brainless, stupid, child-like, and full of pointless information that makes no sense and appeals only to other cretins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Senna wrote: »
    I suppose i would put emphasis on it if i was turning cretin too.

1. cretin

A Person that is: brainless, stupid, child-like, and full of pointless information that makes no sense and appeals only to other cretins.

Yea well done I misspelled certain and because of my dyslexia didn’t check the correction properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Yea well done I misspelled certain and because of my dyslexia didn’t check the correction properly.
    And you assumed that he knew you had dyslexia why?....

And you assumed that he knew you had dyslexia why?....

How am I assuming that by telling him?

How am I assuming that by telling him?
    The way you said this
    would imply you assumed he knew, and if you didn't assume, then why feel the need to tell us?

We don't need to know, nor do we care, about whether someone can spell or can't spell, for whatever reason, dyslexia or not.

People that point out spelling errors only do so 'for teh lulz' and find it an adequate response to something they don't know a thing about :)

Not aimed at anyone in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

It always puzzles me why some people put such emphasis on turning certain ages.

Your friends will order you a smokin' hot stripper while you're in your sexual prime - life doesn't get more fun that that for some people. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I'm 26 and I worry that I'm getting old on a daily basis. Stupid I know but little I can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

ah, jaysus. i dont think he assumed anyone knew. i think a lack of punctuation is all thats going on.

ah, jaysus. i dont think he assumed anyone knew. i think a lack of punctuation is all thats going on.
    Or else I'm getting too old, fucking 18 is a shite age :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Glass half empty eh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I pointed out the mistake because the mistaken word was funny "cretin", it wasn't a you spelled something wrong, lets all laugh at the OP.

Also OP, me and you have something in common, it doesn't bother me, dont let it bother you.

Senna wrote: »
    I pointed out the mistake because the mistaken word was funny "cretin", it wasn't a you spelled something wrong, lets all laugh at the OP.

Also OP, me and you have something in common, it doesn't bother me, dont let it bother you.

Yea tone doesn’t translate very well on the internet unfortunately. I only replied to you because I wanted to edit my original post because I hate having stupid mistakes like that but also wanted to acknowledge the mistake. I wasn’t really bothered by what you posted it was my mistake in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm gutted I'm turning 25 in less than a month. 25! Getting old freaks me out big time because the older I get the less I can the stuff I enjoy. Sucks tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

the OP is welcome to tell us he has dyslexia and shouldn't be told "we dont need to know nor do we care"... it's kind of rude, especially most everything on the after hours boards isn't exactly "need to know".

anyway, i just turned 25 today. and i know what you mean... having people say "you're no longer in your early twenties! almost 30 now!" etc.
    a little part of me cares, but i don't really care.
    i can see how those people who have certain age specific goals would care. Like..if i hoped to have a kid and a house by the age of 27 or something, then everytime you get a year older and are no closer to your goals could be pretty depressing, but I don't look at things that way so it's not an issue for me.
    though i don't feeeel 25, whatever that means. but i still get carded all the time, which i actually quite like haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I can't wait till I'm older, I'll finally have an excuse for my slippers and pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

I went to the dentist recently with what I thought were cavities in two teeth but was informed that my gums were receding to the point were the roots were exposed, due to getting older. :(
    I had never really understood the expression 'Getting long in the tooth' till now.
    Still no grey hairs though. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I'm 27 on Feb 11th and i recently bought a pair of slippers.

Granted, i bought them at a sextoy exhibition and the slippers are actually bright pink and have genetalia on the front, but still! They're slippers and i'm aging!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I know i see people i know and dont even like to say their age:confused:

I dont care about age at all never have and i see my friends oh no i am turning 24 oh no 25 lmao, how sad to be afraid of getting older,sure doesnt everyone else around you to?:D I wonder i think maybe more fear of getting uglier and dying haha

• Registered Users Posts: 54,979 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Horizon last night did a programme about aging and how scientists are trying to find medicines to slow down the process. I missed it, anyone see it to explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

I'll be forty this year.

Fúcking Hell.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Meh you could say that when you were 10 turning 11.
    walshb wrote: »
    Horizon last night did a programme about aging and how scientists are trying to find medicines to slow down the process. I missed it, anyone see it to explain?
    Yea was interesting.basically there are a few mechanisms to aging. Telemeres getting shorter so cells slowly stop being able to replace themselves, oxidative damage building up and genetics and mental attitude.

While the first lot was hard to deal with, the latter was a biggy. people who saw themsleves as old were older physically than those who didnt. Those who counted the years were the age they thought they were. If they expected to be old and frail they would be.

really old people 100 + year olds had genetic advantages. they had a gene that madetheir cholesterol balance much better, a gene that protected against diabetes by being more efficient in their insulin responses and they were protected against dementia too. In these people lifestyle made litte enough difference. some were obese a third smoked 40 a day and others liked their gargle. The oldest human so far known the french woman whose name escapes smoked 40 a day for 70+ years. gave up in her 90s and then went back on the fags when she was 110 and she liked her drink and food.

With ordinary people lifestyle had to make up for their lack of the protective genes.

There were promising avenues of research that would give ordinary people these advantages in a pill. Along with research that may mimic the calorie restriction thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

the OP is welcome to tell us he has dyslexia and shouldn't be told "we dont need to know nor do we care"... it's kind of rude, especially most everything on the after hours boards isn't exactly "need to know".

anyway, i just turned 25 today. and i know what you mean... having people say "you're no longer in your early twenties! almost 30 now!" etc.
    a little part of me cares, but i don't really care.
    i can see how those people who have certain age specific goals would care. Like..if i hoped to have a kid and a house by the age of 27 or something, then everytime you get a year older and are no closer to your goals could be pretty depressing, but I don't look at things that way so it's not an issue for me.
    though i don't feeeel 25, whatever that means. but i still get carded all the time, which i actually quite like haha.

25 is not almost 30, I don't see the logic in this.

Anyway yeah I'm turning 25 this may, its the age when you start to biologically age. Personally I don't feel or think much differently to when I was 19. Have zero intention of settling down or buying into the stuff associated with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

/Leans over and wipes dribble affectionately from OP's jumper

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i felt old the other day when for some reason i mentioned to a younger colleague the little dot you used to get when you turned off the telly
    he looked at me blankly and didn't know what i was talking about
    when did tellies stop doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I'm 34 shortly and about to have my mid life crisis. That means I'll be spending a lot of money on flashy fast cars and prostitutes.

So yeah, turning 34 is a big deal to me!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

The way you said this
    would imply you assumed he knew, and if you didn't assume, then why feel the need to tell us?

We don't need to know, nor do we care, about whether someone can spell or can't spell, for whatever reason, dyslexia or not.

People that point out spelling errors only do so 'for teh lulz' and find it an adequate response to something they don't know a thing about :)

Not aimed at anyone in particular.
    Laeve hmi aloen nto hsi fautl

Advertisement