Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Club Meeting: Invictus @ Cineworld, Parnell st. Thursday Feb 11th. 20:30 show

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm so excited.

You should be :D
    I might head in, although I have a severe hatred of town, so I may not! :p

Suck it up :p
    Pter wrote: »
    I was there too but i couldnt find you guys

Well, expect a PM shortly. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I may go, but it might involve a sprint to the bus stop afterward....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I may go, but it might involve a sprint to the bus stop afterward....

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I've got a gig tonight so i can't make it! have a great time though, hopefully ill make the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Right assigned seats. May I suggest we buy the tickets in groups?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Its a good suggestion alright. Ill be leaving my house around four so if anyone wants my number send me a PM quick!

marwelie wrote: »
    You should be able to find us in the bar (First floor of Cineworld) by the jukebox in the corner. Look out for a hoodie wearing, tea drinking wheelchair user and a dinosaur loving, James Van Der Beek lookalike ;o

There will also be a rhino/dinosaur on the table! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Hey
    Only got to read thread now.
    What block are people sitting in.,¿
    Im downstairs now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Heh we got nine this time :D

*Invictus spoilers ahoy!*

As for the film, not much discussion time as most had to catch their respective last buses. Personally I had the same problems with it as I do any recent Clint Eastwood film - sentimental, unnatural and cloying. I think it is an interesting story (like Changeling for example) but a very simplified message. I didn't like the fact that Mandela felt more like a collection of motivational slogans than an actual human being. Rugby also was done a bit overcooked dramatically (too much slo-mo and cutaways of watching crowds!). There were likable moments (I quite enjoyed the training camp session for some reason) but again it (IMO) just shows up Clint Eastwood as a director who over simplifies far more complicated issues in place of a more crowd pleasing message. And how awful was the song selection when the helicopter landed at the SA training ground :pac:

Oh, and based on post-film discussions, I looked up whether or not the plane incident happened. Says it did here. Not the most reliable source (and wiki has nothing on it!) but perhaps it is true, but the pilots probably didn't have the same conversation they did in the film ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,332 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Thanks for the evening everyone.

It was a bit like what Steven Spielberg would have done if he was in the director's chair. Definitely some saccharine flavoured moments in there, although to its credit it didn't pile on
    the celebrations too much at the end. I was expecting speeches with Mandela and the team at the his office, etc.
    Maybe an ID4 type speech :pac: and then, you know, shots of generals congratulating each other and people hugging in the bunkers. The music for the helicopter was completely out of place, alright. It would have been better if we got a greater sense of who Mandela was, the film didn't really get under his skin, I don't think.

Seems a bit much that Damon and Freeman have been nominated for their work, not sure they did anything spectacular with their roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I'm always up for a sports themed movie and was looking forward to this. The fact that Morgan Freeman was in it was an added bonus.

Although I enjoyed it overall I was slightly disappointed with the story though for a number of reasons:

1. The reinactments of the Rugby was awful (as usual). Theres no need for a camera to be in the middle of a scrum! And as for the slow motion and sound effects from the ball in the end scenes.....don't get me started!

To find out how it should be done properly you need look no further than This Sporting Life http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057578/ , nothing has ever come close since.

2. The depiction of Chester Williams. He was the only black member of the squad and a lot more should have been made of his participation in the competition. He had been omitted from the original squad with a hamstring injury (touched on in the film) but benefited from the slightly dubious regulation that a suspended player could be replaced when Hendriks was cited and banned after the Canada punch-up. He also scored four tries in the quarter-final which was an extraordinary personal achievement.

3. The semi final. Because of the Canadian punch-up, the South African squad were in danger of being eliminated from the competition, if the game against France had been abandoned or postponed for more than 2 hours because they had a worse disiplinary record than the French. As far as I'm aware the game kicked off with half an hour to spare. Why wasn't more made of this?

4. Matt Damon is twice the size of Francois Pienaar!!

Recommended, but its no Raging Bull!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Ohai, nice to meet you all (or meet again) and I enjoyed the movie, tbh.
    A bit too semplified and too "let's all be friends love love love" but not bad for me.
    Anyone else noticed that the piano theme played various times during the film was partially "O Sole mio"?!

Btw...Next one is gonna be a chick flick right? LOL

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,952 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gah, missed the meet-up, again, I suck at this thing hehe. Well hope you guys had a good time? Did many people turn up?

9 turned up. That's one more than last time. Not bad considering a few from the first meeting couldn't make this one.

Once again thaks to everybody who turned up. Sorry about not being at my best conversation wise. I was absolutely knackered.

If anyone has any ieas for the next screening (in about 2 weeks time) post up yout thoughts in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Anyone else noticed that the piano theme played various times during the film was partially "O Sole mio"?!

Just one cornetto!!! Give eet to me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Pter wrote: »
    Just one cornetto!!! Give eet to me!!!!

/still loves your uncle for that

• Registered Users Posts: 31 flutterberry

i cant believe the thing with the airplane actually hppened!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Anybody interested in going to see "Cutters way" in the ifi Monday 22nd Febuary at 6:30pm?
    Bit of a classic.........

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Dublindude69

I had a blast

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Jimmy444

i cant believe the thing with the airplane actually hppened!

Seems like it did happen . . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJVMlHfloHA

Also notice how the teams ran out on the pitch - Clint had them go out separately but they actually went out side-by-side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement