Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jehovah's Witnesses

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

PDN wrote: »
    What's the difference between a Jehovah's Witness and a Skoda?

You can close the door on a Jehovah's Witness! :pac:

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

No, psyche means 'soul' - so it is correct to translate it as the salvation of our souls.

Actually, the Scriptural teaching is that Jesus died to save our spirits, our souls and our bodies.
    It makes no difference as far as the claim that the soul is immortal.

Our bodies and souls perish.

I was mistaken, I admit. Psuche does mean soul, as I stated in my original post. But the verse still only states that our lives will be saved as a result of our faith, just as "you shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

My friend is a Jehovah's Witness, nice guy but mad religion. I've heard things that make me believe their very corrupt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 DCJR

One morning when hungover they called to my door.

Normally i would have told them to clear off. (I was actualy a member of the chucrch of scientology in the past)

However for my amusement/general interest i asked them a couple of questions and was pretty impressed with their answers.

I asked them about homosexuality, saying that i beileved in treating ppl based upon how they treated me, if someone was nice to me i'd be nice to them and had no care for anything they done outside of their behaviour towards me.

the response was like ''these are gods rules that we have to live by, its not up to us to judge others but they will be judged by god. its like if you have a little child, they need rules in place otherwise they will do sily things like run out in the middle of the road''.

then i asked about alcohol saying that i regulalrly go out drinking how would they feel about that. the woman said she loved to take a drink but that its drinking in excess they dont approve of. she said shed loved a guinness but that its not right for all the binge drinking etc etc.

then i asked about dinosaurs. she said dinosaurs may have existed.

cant remember what else i asked.

they thanked me and asked me was i goona convert, i said probably not but i enjoyed the conversation anyway and we shook hands.

they called back twice the following week asking to speak to me.

My brother went bananas and told them not to set foot on our property again or they'd be getting a steel-jacketed anti depressant into the back of the head!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

When Stephen said ''receive my spirit'' when being stoned, the word for spirit used is pnyü'-mä πνέω (G4154) which means soul also. the only one twisting scripture here is Chozo. :D:pac:

1) the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son
    a) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the "Holy" Spirit)
    b) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")
    c) never referred to as a depersonalised force
    2) the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated
    a) the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides
    b) the soul
    3) a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting
    a) a life giving spirit
    b) a human soul that has left the body
    c) a spirit higher than man but lower than God, i.e. an angel
    1) used of demons, or evil spirits, who were conceived as inhabiting the bodies of men
    2) the spiritual nature of Christ, higher than the highest angels and equal to God, the divine nature of Christ
    4) the disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul of any one
    a) the efficient source of any power, affection, emotion, desire, etc.
    5) a movement of air (a gentle blast)
    a) of the wind, hence the wind itself
    b) breath of nostrils or mouth

When Stephen said ''receive my spirit'' when being stoned, the word for spirit used is pnyü'-mä πνέω (G4154) which means soul also. the only one twisting scripture here is Chozo. :D:pac:

1) the third person of the triune God, the Holy Spirit, coequal, coeternal with the Father and the Son
    a) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his personality and character (the "Holy" Spirit)
    b) sometimes referred to in a way which emphasises his work and power (the Spirit of "Truth")
    c) never referred to as a depersonalised force
    2) the spirit, i.e. the vital principal by which the body is animated
    a) the rational spirit, the power by which the human being feels, thinks, decides
    b) the soul
    3) a spirit, i.e. a simple essence, devoid of all or at least all grosser matter, and possessed of the power of knowing, desiring, deciding, and acting
    a) a life giving spirit
    b) a human soul that has left the body
    c) a spirit higher than man but lower than God, i.e. an angel
    1) used of demons, or evil spirits, who were conceived as inhabiting the bodies of men
    2) the spiritual nature of Christ, higher than the highest angels and equal to God, the divine nature of Christ
    4) the disposition or influence which fills and governs the soul of any one
    a) the efficient source of any power, affection, emotion, desire, etc.
    5) a movement of air (a gentle blast)
    a) of the wind, hence the wind itself
    b) breath of nostrils or mouth
    You could start by telling me what scripture I'm twisting since all I did was post scripture which has the words for soul and spirit.
    There is a difference between a living soul and the spirit, until proven otherwise. You would like to lump them together just as much as you would like to think we are immortal by nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

branie wrote: »
    This morning was one of those rare occasions when they came to my door. It got me wondering if there was anyone here who had Jehovah's witnesses at their door, and how they were dealt with.

They can be persistant. Just be courteous,but firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

It would be pretty rare for anyone to 'grow out of' an involvement with the JWs. They clung to their beliefs (very bravely) when many of them were sent to the deathcamps during the Nazi Holocaust - and also endured great persecution because of their refusal to serve in the military under Stalin et al.

My own experience (we have a few ex-JWs in our church) is that arguing about their beliefs rarely goes anywhere. By arguing against them you are, by definition, doing the work of Satan, so they won't listen to you.

However, for the Christian posters here, sharing your own testimony about your relationship with Jesus Christ is something else. All the JWs I've met lacked any real concept of having a personal relationship with God. Their religion was all about serving Jehovah and getting rewarded for being good servants. Therefore personal testimony is much more powerful than argument with them.

Gotta say, this is the best reply to the questions asked. I've often wondered how to deal with JW's and the like when I'm a commited, lousy apoligist, christian. I think I'll go for this tack if there ever is a next time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

also Jehovah witnesses beleive that once the body dies the soul dies too. my goodness, you'd might as well be atheist

how so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

'How so?'.

Christians believe the soul is eternal (well, and the body in another form but we won't go into that here) and Athiests believe it isn't. If one believes the soul is eternal then Christianity answers the questions, 'what next?' and 'why?'.

There's no need for these answers if one is athiest, therefore regarding morality and values one is usually humanist. One only needs a philosophy to guide rather than a god to save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Greaney wrote: »
    Christians believe the soul is eternal (well, and the body in another form but we won't go into that here) and Athiests believe it isn't.

To be fair, I'd say Atheists don't believe that the soul exists at all.

Advertisement