Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jehovah's Witnesses

Options
  • 03-02-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

This morning was one of those rare occasions when they came to my door. It got me wondering if there was anyone here who had Jehovah's witnesses at their door, and how they were dealt with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

branie wrote: »
    This morning was one of those rare occasions when they came to my door. It got me wondering if there was anyone here who had Jehovah's witnesses at their door, and how they were dealt with.

I had them come knocking just before Christmas. So I invited them in and put on the kettle. They called back a few times on passing and were very pleasant (if insistantly agenda-driven) to deal with.

As with the last time (a few years back), they seem to have backed off once their views were challenged by alternative takes on what they were asserting certain Bible passages to mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

I had them come knocking just before Christmas. So I invited them in and put on the kettle. They called back a few times on passing and were very pleasant (if insistantly agenda-driven) to deal with.

As with the last time (a few years back), they seem to have backed off once their views were challenged by alternative takes on what they were asserting certain Bible passages to mean.
    I've yet to have this experience. What passages do they use to promote their beliefs, if you remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I've yet to have this experience. What passages do they use to promote their beliefs, if you remember?

It wasn't so much passages as isolated verses onto which was hung the 'patter' being presented. After spending time on forums like this, where an argument can be dismantled upon examination of a word, the torrent of assertion-based prose tacked onto single verses took a bit of getting used to. It was quite bamboozling just to try to figure a mode of discussion that didn't involve being piled on with patter.

The impression I had was of a team (there were always two: lead speaker and support (whether teacher/pupil?)) equipped with a number of standard "sales patters" (one of which I remember being that "God didn't intend the world to be in the state it is") supported by a number of isolated verses. It was quite fast moving and gently insistant - but not much able (nor I suspect designed) to withstand scrutiny by way of questioning. They were patently trying to appeal to what must be a commonly held sense in people that something is seriously wrong with the world. Consider it a populist, generalist approach - not much taking into account the place where you indicate yourself to be. You'll sense being talked at - not being listened to.

Because the cults are aligned with the truth on so many mainline points, it's hard to get to the detail of difference. Before I could get to the manner by which people are saved or no (in their view), they'd given up coming.

Perhaps the best thing to do is not to challenge to much on the way until such time as central issues can be addressed. I just found it (morally) difficult to consider nodding assent as if ignorant/seeking until such time and the way of salvation would come up then hitting them broadside with the poverty of JW's works doctrine.

I won the battle but lost the war perhaps/

ps: on their first visit they'll leave you with a booklet (quite densely packed) with the various doctrina laid out. The thing to do is probably to play it gentle/interested the first time round, examine the booklet for some clear area of interest/conflict with Christianity and prepare your biblical argument for the next time they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SadieSue

I just moved to Montreal a few years ago and my French is not that great, so once they hear my accent they back off. There is a Jahovas Witness church not too far from where I live also. They don't call around here very often anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

branie wrote: »

I had one visit some 10 years ago. She was the mother of a work colleague so I invited her in and made her tea. I let her chat for a bit and then ripped into her (politely, of course). She couldn't respond to one single question I asked her. She came the the next week, mind, with a gaggle of kids - maybe this is a softening tactic but the idea of 6-year olds being dragged around as religious pawns turned my stomach. After conveying this idea to her, she never came back again.

I worked with her son for some time after. After some discreet digging, it turned out she had converted from Catholicism during a time of intense personal crisis. He felt it was a phase that she might grow out of. I haven't seen them for years so no idea if that turned out to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It would be pretty rare for anyone to 'grow out of' an involvement with the JWs. They clung to their beliefs (very bravely) when many of them were sent to the deathcamps during the Nazi Holocaust - and also endured great persecution because of their refusal to serve in the military under Stalin et al.

My own experience (we have a few ex-JWs in our church) is that arguing about their beliefs rarely goes anywhere. By arguing against them you are, by definition, doing the work of Satan, so they won't listen to you.

However, for the Christian posters here, sharing your own testimony about your relationship with Jesus Christ is something else. All the JWs I've met lacked any real concept of having a personal relationship with God. Their religion was all about serving Jehovah and getting rewarded for being good servants. Therefore personal testimony is much more powerful than argument with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

PDN wrote: »
    It would be pretty rare for anyone to 'grow out of' an involvement with the JWs. They clung to their beliefs (very bravely) when many of them were sent to the deathcamps during the Nazi Holocaust - and also endured great persecution because of their refusal to serve in the military under Stalin et al.

My own experience (we have a few ex-JWs in our church) is that arguing about their beliefs rarely goes anywhere. By arguing against them you are, by definition, doing the work of Satan, so they won't listen to you.

I wonder what the overall movement between groups is (JW - other Christian - non-believer). Why do people leave the Jehovah's Witness denomination? Why do they join? I can't imagine that if a non-believer finds god, that JW is the obvious place to explore that. Wouldn't you start out a bit more gently? Is it easy for people to leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

A guy I did a course in FAS a few years back with was one. He was quite possibly the most paranoid person I ever met. His parent's were extremely strict, and had already disowned their other son for what would be otherwise known in normal society as having a life. He didn't actually believe in any of it, but he told me about how he was expected to trawl the streets attempting to convert people to something he himself didn't give a toss about - just to not be disowned by his parents.

He used to smoke cigarettes and watching him was quite possibly the most hilarious (or sad) thing ever. He used to dive behind walls, thinking that every car was his parents coming to spy on him. A truly weird, but genuinely nice chap.

On top of that - I remember 2 of them coming to my house about 3 or 4 years back, and I was shocked by how driven they were. There was no logic or reason you could bring to them, they flat out refused (politely) to accept any arguments. It's like they lock themselves in a bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

Jehovahs witnesses claim that only 144,000 people will be eligible to enter heaven for eternity. They qoute the following passage from Revelation 7. Notice that this group is identified as male Virgins ( cf.Rev 14 ). Jehovah's witnesses dont beleive in consecrated celibacy. Also, since the number of 144,000 is a symbolic nnumber ( much of what is presented in the Book of revelation is symbolic), it doesnt mean that only that number will be in heaven. Most importantly, as following verses show, all Christians who are faithful to Christ will go to heaven.

Rev 7:1-8

Revelation 14:1-5

Philppians 3:21

1 John 3:2

1 thessalonians 4:13-18

Phillipians 3:20

Romans 8:16-17

and finally 2Peter 1:4

also Jehovah witnesses beleive that once the body dies the soul dies too. my goodness, you'd might as well be atheist.

they came while I was out to my house in Scotland before my conversion to the Roman Catholic Church, and my girlfriend at the time opened the door, apparently when she went to go and shut the door, the women put there foot in the door and wouldnt allow it.

I had mormon people come around the other day, It was morning time and I just opened the door, recognised who they were and said ''morning lads sorry but I'm not interested'' one of them replied ''have you heard about what it is we do?'' ''Yes, but I'm Catholic and intend to remain that way, so no thank you lads'' then they stood there and tryed to talk me around and I just said *shutting the door* ''Bye lads''.

you have to shut the door on them, as they wont take no for an answer.
    I dont debate with them, I grow weary debating with folks who have already made their mind up. Like Jesus said to the disciples I just wipe the dust from my sandals and move on.

• Advertisement

What's the difference between a Jehovah's Witness and a Skoda?

You can close the door on a Jehovah's Witness! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

also Jehovah witnesses beleive that once the body dies the soul dies too. my goodness, you'd might as well be atheist.

they came while I was out to my house in Scotland before my conversion to the Roman Catholic Church, and my girlfriend at the time opened the door, apparently when she went to go and shut the door, the women put there foot in the door and wouldnt allow it.

I had mormon people come around the other day, It was morning time and I just opened the door, recognised who they were and said ''morning lads sorry but I'm not interested'' one of them replied ''have you heard about what it is we do?'' ''Yes, but I'm Catholic and intend to remain that way, so no thank you lads'' then they stood there and tryed to talk me around and I just said *shutting the door* ''Bye lads''.

you have to shut the door on them, as they wont take no for an answer.
    I dont debate with them, I grow weary debating with folks who have already made their mind up. Like Jesus said to the disciples I just wipe the dust from my sandals and move on.

Yeah, know the feeling...:pac:

keano_afc wrote: »
    Yeah, know the feeling...:pac:

but Keano I've never seen you debate with anyone before, have you ever seen that film trading places with eddie murphy in it? if so, have you ever seen the part where he is in Jail with these two big black african americans ? one does all the talking and the other guy just keeps saying ''YEAH'' lol reminds me of you Keano :pac::P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-NPzpVrmAw&feature=related

Well "soul" is just a living person/animal, so they are correct. As for the spirit, it is the breath of life that returns to God. So, they are not comparable to atheists. They are different, though. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What's the difference between a Jehovah's Witness and a Skoda?

You can close the door on a Jehovah's Witness! :pac:

Wonder how long anyone who made the same joke in here about christians would last:rolleyes:

krudler wrote: »
    Wonder how long anyone who made the same joke in here about christians would last:rolleyes:
    Longer than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

By and large I'm quite distrustful of people who go about in public from door to door preaching. I haven't had a Jehovah's Witness call at my door for some years. The last time that happened was when I was living in a block of flats and they could only talk to me through the intercom. I already hear the Word of God every Sunday in church. I can switch on UCB radio or open the Bible or visit this forum or any of the countless Christian websites. I dont need Jehovahs Witnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

but Keano I've never seen you debate with anyone before, have you ever seen that film trading places with eddie murphy in it? if so, have you ever seen the part where he is in Jail with these two big black african americans ? one does all the talking and the other guy just keeps saying ''YEAH'' lol reminds me of you Keano :pac::P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-NPzpVrmAw&feature=related

I actually have debated quite a bit on here, but you just kept calling me and any views I had "Protestant" so I took it as a sign that you just are not willing to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

As a congregation I don't like them at all; they place an emphasis on isolation except when proselytising. They have this almost cultish quality about them, and they will actively exclude family members who have de-converted from their community (I have second hand experience of this). Also, unlike most other religious communities, they really require you to actively believe their doctrine and will eventually cast you out if you don't, so you can't just go along with it for the sake of social harmony without lying.

Give me Catholics or Muslims any day, but keep these people out of my home, thanks. The idea of abandoning one's family because they don't think the same way is horrible.

Well "soul" is just a living person/animal, so they are correct. As for the spirit, it is the breath of life that returns to God. So, they are not comparable to atheists. They are different, though. :pac:

The Church teaches that every living thing has a soul. This includes plants and animals. The soul is the animating principle so there cannot be life without a soul. The souls of all non-human living things are called material souls. These are not immortal. Human beings have spiritual souls, which are by nature immortal.

and seeing as only ( according to jehovahs ) 144,000 of us get into heaven, it makes one wonder...whats the point?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Longer than you.

Nice to see you can admit your bias towards certain posters on here then;)

krudler wrote: »
    Nice to see you can admit your bias towards certain posters on here then;)
    Each poster has their own track record, and each is judged according to his own works. No new creations or justification by faith when it comes to moderation - we're very Old Testament when it comes to dishing out punishment or consigning sinners to outer darkness. :eek:

The Church teaches that every living thing has a soul. This includes plants and animals. The soul is the animating principle so there cannot be life without a soul. The souls of all non-human living things are called material souls. These are not immortal. Human beings have spiritual souls, which are by nature immortal.
    Can you explain where you get this from please?

Can you explain where you get this from please?

''Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.'' ( KJV ) ( Peter1:1:9

even scripture teaches that the soul is immortal and is to be saved Chozo.

both the human soul and spirit although used interchangebly are the same thing and immortal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

The Church teaches that every living thing has a soul. This includes plants and animals.

Can you explain where you get this from please? Surely this is animism. Its my understanding that this is not part of Christian belief - that man is the only "animal" with a soul and therefore the only creature capable of a relationship with God and going to Heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

I dont debate with them, I grow weary debating with folks who have already made their mind up.
    Hmm, strange, my irony dectector seems to have blown up...

MrP

''Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.'' ( KJV ) ( Peter1:1:9

even scripture teaches that the soul is immortal and is to be saved Chozo.

both the human soul and spirit although used interchangebly are the same thing and immortal.
    The soul is just a living creature and not immortal, while the spirit returns to God when we die. They are not the same.

In the Old Testament the word for "soul" is nephesh.
    In the Old Testament the word for "spirit" is either ruach or neshamah.
    In the New Testament the word for "soul" is psuche.
    In the New Testament the word for "spirit" is pneuma.

Here are some examples, though there are many more:

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul (nephesh, psuche)" (Gen. 2:7).
    "And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature (nephesh, psuche) after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so" (Gen. 1:24).
    "And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life (both are nephesh, psuche)" (Ex. 21:23).
    "The soul (nephesh, psuche) that sinneth, it shall die" (Ezek. 18:4).

"Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life (psuche), what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life (psuche) more than meat, and the body than raiment" (Mat. 6:25).
    "He that findeth his life (psuche) shall lose it: and he that loseth his life (psuche) for my sake shall find it" (Mat. 10:39).

"And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath (neshamah, pnoe) of life; and man became a living soul" (Gen. 2:7).
    "All the while my breath (neshamah, pnoe) is in me, and the spirit (ruach, pneuma) of God is in my nostrils" (Job 27:3).
    "If he set his heart upon man, if he gather unto himself his spirit (ruach, pneuma) and his breath (neshamah); all flesh shall perish together, and man shall turn again unto dust" (Job 34:14, 15).

"And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit (pneuma): and having said thus, he gave up the ghost" (Luke 23:46).
    "And after three days and an half the Spirit (pneuma) of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet" (Rev. 11:11).

So, you can see that "soul" just means a living creature. Spirit means the breath of life from God.

scripture cannot contradict itself chozo, so according to this passage of the New covenant, your eisigesis of Scripture is ( pun intended) dead wrong and the soul is immortal.

scripture cannot contradict itself chozo, so according to this passage of the New covenant, your eisigesis of Scripture is ( pun intended) dead wrong and the soul is immortal.
    Behaving quite JW again, are we?

"Salvation of your souls" in no way contradicts what I said, nor anything the Bible says. In this verse "soul" is in fact psuche meaning "spirit," which means that the spirit is saved as result of our faith.
    EDIT: Soul in this verse does mean "soul" as in a living creature. The salvation of a soul does not imply that it is immortal by nature.

BTW, nice of you to ignore what the Bible says and what the Hebrew and Greek meanings actually are.

• Advertisement

Behaving quite JW again, are we?

"Salvation of your souls" in no way contradicts what I said, nor anything the Bible says. In this verse "soul" is in fact psuche meaning "spirit," which means that the spirit is saved as result of our faith.

BTW, nice of you to ignore what the Bible says and what the Hebrew and Greek meanings actually are.

No, psyche means 'soul' - so it is correct to translate it as the salvation of our souls.

Actually, the Scriptural teaching is that Jesus died to save our spirits, our souls and our bodies.

Advertisement