Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Eggs Benedict in Dublin

Options
  • 03-02-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello,

Am new here and I need some advice if at all possible! Going on a lunch date on Sunday and the date told me he is partial to Eggs Benedict. Can't eat them myself, thus have no idea where would be good. He had mentioned somewhere where I would rather not go, so, I want to wow him with wonderful eggs elsewhere!

Any ideas? - South Dublin: D4,6,8 or South City Centre, please!

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

mmmmm

just a couple that come to mind:

Bijou http://www.bijourathgar.ie/index1.php

Eatery 120 http://www.eatery120.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DeadlyRed

Interesting ideas thank you!

I never think of Bijou for lunch, love it there for dinner though

And I've never been to Eatery 120 despite living nearby, I've always thought it looked a little goldfish-bowly and after checking out menupages it seems that those who have eaten there have thought so too - but remark that their upstairs has a great atmosphere. I also checked out their menu online, noticed they serve chicken wings - I guess with Tribeca nearby they reckoned if you can't beat 'em join 'em (and make it a little cheaper, I wonder what the portion sizes are...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DeadlyRed

Ah, there's always one!

Had looked through google previous to posting here. But thank you for taking the time to post. Very kind

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Odessa would be my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

RoverJames wrote: »

You don't seem to have gotten to grips with this board. DeadlyRed is seeking personal recommendations so if you don't have a constructive suggestion/idea then you're better off not posting.

You don't seem to have gotten to grips with this board. DeadlyRed is seeking personal recommendations so if you don't have a constructive suggestion/idea then you're better off not posting.

Please accept my most sincere of apologies oh mighty one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

No problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

+1 also for Odessa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

Herbstreet on Hanover Quay do a pretty decent Eggs Benedict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

TitoPuente wrote: »
    Herbstreet on Hanover Quay do a pretty decent Eggs Benedict.

Their brunch menu is priced a bit higher than other places, so it would need to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Personally, I'd stay clear of Herbstreet - I've had some meals there that have been less than impressive.

Bijou is a good suggestion. Coppinger's do a mean brunch and I think that the Exchequer on Exchequer Street do also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I have to say I've never really found a good eggs benedict.
    A number of problems:
    Hollandaise too bland
    Hollandaise too watery
    Not enough Hollandaise/too gloopy
    Eggs too hard (this drives me mental)
    Muffin too rubbery

While it's an easy dish to make, you just can't let it hang around - any part of it. And IMO is the reason why it's hard to get a good one while out and about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

Toast in Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Eden in Temple Bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Just remembered another good and reasonably priced one. Taste on South William st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I had "Brunch" in Eatery120 recently and it wasnt great, evrything tasted re-heated and the sausage had that deep fried glow to it!
    If i remember corectly it consisted of 1 egg, 1 suasage, 2 bacon, 1 flat mushroom, 1 (unripe) tomato, 1 slice of toast 12 euro....Tea extra.
    If it was good it would have been good value...but it was poor.
    Wings arnt great either.
    Ive heard Bijou is good.

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    I had "Brunch" in Eatery120 recently and it wasnt great, evrything tasted re-heated and the sausage had that deep fried glow to it!
    If i remember corectly it consisted of 1 egg, 1 suasage, 2 bacon, 1 flat mushroom, 1 (unripe) tomato, 1 slice of toast 12 euro....Tea extra.
    If it was good it would have been good value...but it was poor.

€12 for that without tea good value !! The Celtic Tiger hasn't died in your house anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Eatery 120 is great for them if a little expensive. Myself and my gf had brunch there a while back and it was 30 odd yoyos. Bit spicy for my taste.

Also if you like this guy and it gets serious you just try steer him clear of the eggs benny, they're a heart attack on a bun!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Ellephant & Castle Temple Bar

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    €12 for that without tea good value !! The Celtic Tiger hasn't died in your house anyway :)

Well i dont mind paying for something so long as its a bit special
    Their menu reads well...but from what ive sampled it isnt great
    Typical of that syle of restaurant in my opinion

Getting back to Eggs Benedict...
    They often dont work restaurants because hollandaise sauce dosnt like to be "held" and alot of "chefs" just cant make it properly.
    You cant refridgerate it
    You cant hot hold it
    Room tempeture works well but bacteria breed at this temperature, kitchens are often well above room temperature so it splits slightly...hence why i never order it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

None of these are valid excuses.
    Carton of hollandaise FTW.
    Or do it to order, it only takes a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭mrsberries

Totally late to this but Brasserie 66 do a good Eggs Benedict or the smoked salmon version with yummy crispy potatoes!:)

Made it myself today fooked up and put 8 eggs into the hollandaise instead of 4 still enjoyed though

Pot wrote:
    Made it myself today fooked up and put 8 eggs into the hollandaise instead of 4 still enjoyed though

8!!!!

How many people did you make it for?

kazul wrote: »
    None of these are valid excuses.
    Carton of hollandaise FTW.
    Or do it to order, it only takes a couple of minutes.

Carton???? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jimmytwomey

You have got to go to '66' on Georges Street. Eggs Benedict and Homemade sausages. Mega. The deuce tables are a bit close together, try and get a four top!

olaola wrote: »
    8!!!!

How many people did you make it for?

3 people :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 jimmytwomey

Went to 66 today. Got breakfast skillet with one portion of Eggs Benedict. Verry very nice.

• Advertisement

Pot wrote:
    3 people :confused:

That's a lot of egg yolks for 3 portions. I'd usually use 1 yolk per two people.

Advertisement