Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireball seen!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

were cavan people,500 a gram,you'll not get within 10 mile of it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

squod wrote: »
    thats an old video from about a year ago, sorry , check this out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Possibly landed in Co. Cavan according to David Moore on the news there, going rate of $500 per gramme would be quite tasty for the lucky finder.

You can expect Cavan folk to shut down the county to all visitors while the mean <SNIP> search for it.

Mod: This is a family forum, watch your language please!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anluainnru

.50 (MOA) wrote: »
    saw it in the sky on the road from castlederg to castlefin (scraghy) as i was approaching the petrol station on the left (for anyone who knows this bog road) thought it was one of the ligths reflecting on the windscreen. only saw it for about a second, maybe 2. was just bfore 6 o clock

Thats the same yoke I saw, same direction but I was in North Leitrim. Definitely heading westwards and out towards Donegal Bay. Thought it was a headlight in the windscreen till it was all over the radio about 10 mins later. Can't have been the same one that is supposed to be in Cavan unless it was the little green men out for a spin taking advantage of the confusion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

RTE News @ 9 showed that clip tonight. :D Bunch of spanners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Bodicea

Saw it 6pm ish. Now that could have been 6pm or 6.30. On the beach in enniscrone, it seemed to drop out of the sky from nowhere and heading straight down but with slight trajectory. It could have landed in the Atlantic north of Killala bay or donegal....Defo didnt land south of North mayo anyway..

Ball the size of a big tennis ball, burning orange red and yellow with 2' tail as this as the ball....

Amazing, but not as amazing as the aurora borealis right outside my house...a few years ago..now that was breathtaking...

There must have been more than one. cos people in meath say it was heading west...and the one I saw was definitely on a slightly east trajectory (more down than east)...

Dont think this would have anything to do with the solar activity. Thats the regular 11 year cycle thing...when the solar flares are intense enough to break through the magnetic fields and can disrupt power stations..Either the last one, or the one before blew out power stations in cananda and can affect electronics....

this is a meteor, dont think they are connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

wylo wrote: »
    thats an old video from about a year ago, sorry , check this out

RonMexico wrote: »

Damn, now I know why it's called twitter.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 i_inky

Anyone know if it is Superman or Optimus Prime?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Neither, its Harry pothead with his broom on fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

according to RTE it has landed near Crimlin Co Cavan

which begs the question ..is this the most exciting thing that ever happened in Cavan??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

wasn't there an explosion in the sun a few days ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

appartently it hit the iceberg thats melting off shore in donegal :eek:, what are the odds of that ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I saw it while travelling towards Limerick from Charleville around 17:55.
    It was travelling west to east near the northern horizon.

Amazing sight indeed! :D
    Im glad I was in the right place right time for that. I saw one back in late `99 too, but this was far more spectacular!

fryup wrote: »
    according to RTE it has landed near Crimlin Co Cavan

which begs the question ..is this the most exciting thing that ever happened in Cavan??

Do they have a word for "exciting" in Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Bodicea wrote: »

hooooor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Bodicea wrote: »
    Loose sheep?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

iceage wrote: »
    RTE at 9.00pm news had a mention of it.

I was called in to a tv to look at it and yes, it was on the 9pm bulletin. Just before the weather forecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

i_inky wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is Superman or Optimus Prime?? :)

I reckon we're becoming a "plaything" of Ming the Merciless. Snow, earthquakes, and now fireballs.

polyfusion wrote: »
    I reckon we're becoming a "plaything" of Ming the Merciless. Snow, earthquakes, and now fireballs.

Ya forgot potholes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Revised numbers for my sighting, now that I can reference against landmarks.

Time: 17.56

First seen at about 9 degrees altitude, azimuth 357 (NNW).
    Last seen at about 2 degrees altitude, azimuth 358 (NNW). Lost behind cloud
    About 1 to 2 seconds of visibility

Tracking from upper left towards lower right, from 11.30 to 5.30 on a clock.

Backlighting the cirrustratus that was around, and it was as bright as an Iridium flare. Multiple objects in a fairly tight group.

Projecting out where I would have thought the object would have intersected the horizon:

horizon-intersection2.jpg

That trajectory puts any meteorites that may have survived well out in the atlantic, to the northwest of Donegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jeannie82

anyone see this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma5gX1FAL40
    hmm....!

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

RonMexico wrote: »
    :):) Dont think anyone got any footage of it..how come there was no warining of this heading our way, cant have been that small?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

ultain wrote: »
    :):) Dont think anyone got any footage of it..how come there was no warining of this heading our way, cant have been that small?

Depending on the type of object, (nickel-iron/stony/etc) could have been anywhere between suitcase sized to couch sized. A bit too small to have been trackable beforehand. The near-earth surveys going on over the past few years have the aim of finding all of the larger objects that could cross earth's path. The object that fell last night was not already known - as far as I know at the moment.

I have heard of possible security camera footage of the fireball, but I've to confirm that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Amadeus.

Welcome to Cavan, Son of Jor-EL. I am getting a posse together to seek out this meteorite, any of you lads interested? I will divide it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Savage Cabbage

wow. absolutely brilliant. has anyone seen any photo images of it yet? Also have they recovered it from where it landed? Really wish I saw that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Funny, I always thought there was no Meteor coverage around Cavan...

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Funny, I always thought there was no Meteor coverage around Cavan...

LOL
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Anybody know any satellite feed website that may have caught this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

.50 (MOA) wrote: »
    saw it in the sky on the road from castlederg to castlefin (scraghy) as i was approaching the petrol station on the left (for anyone who knows this bog road) thought it was one of the ligths reflecting on the windscreen. only saw it for about a second, maybe 2. was just bfore 6 o clock

checked the direction using a map. it was heading east from what i could tell from the map. only other possible direction is north- east a tad.

Advertisement