Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireball seen!

Options
  • 03-02-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I've just seen a nice mag -4/-5 fireball from my seat in the office, looking out the window. Yellow/orange, with breakups along the path, each broken part with its own glowing trail. No more than a half-degree seperation in total.
    The trail was behind the cloud layers.

NNE from galway, spotted first about 10 degrees altitude at azimuth 10 to about 3 degrees altitude at azimuth 13.

Fairly fast, about 2 seconds for that travel.

Anyone else spot it? It's the brightest meteor I've seen since watching the 1999 leonids flash brightly behind clouds..

Cathal.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Soul Cake Duck

I was driving home and happened to look across the fields on my right and it caught my eye....from my view it was very fast with blue-ish flames...this is in the Meath area..

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Any footage?
    This would be fantastic viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 d-a-s-h

Saw it from the castleknock/phoenix park area :)
    amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mrincredible

Saw it about 6pm.
    White at the front with a massive orange tail, falling slowly over the Ox moutains in Sligo..
    Had no idea what I was looking at, so I gave astronomy Ireland a call.
    The guy told me to report it on line, but there site seems to be experiencing problems.
    Wow! I thought at first it was a flare, but figured it was much too large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Saw it in Galway city low in the sky to the NNE of me just before 6pm. The fireball was bright green with an yellow/orange tail. Amazing sight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

Saw it in Limerick city about 18:10 about 10 seconds before it fizzled out directly above, it was moving quite slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

saw it on the kildare/meath border around 6. blue/green (very bright) with orange flames around the edges and a big bright tail.

Was genuinely the most incredible thing i've ever seen. look like it crashed a few fields away (i know it just looks like that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Did not see that :o, it was either somthing else or its very last few seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ELFOYZER

Driving along on the road to Dunboyne from Clonee, my children seen the purple ball with a glowing orange tail fall to earth. They reckon it actually hit land and saw an orange flash/explosion somewhere in the fields between that road and N3, although this could have been a line of sight thing. Pity I didn't get to see it myself as I was driving.:(
    Tried reporting it to Astronony Ireland but same problem with their site.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

I saw this fire Ball as well this evening . I was listening to the radio and the Time check was 3 minutes to six when I saw a Fireball incandessent centre with Flames clearly visable in its wake on a north east vector from the Cherrywood Exit on the M50 . given that scale is a problem I estimated initally that it was headed for the Snadyford / Ballenteer direction However it could have had land fall anywhere along that Vector which also has Clonsilla and Dunboyne as way points...From first sight to fade out no longer then 3 seconds...really weird...thought at first it was a firework but flames and speed left me in doubt ... Widely seen accross dublin many reports of the sighting on the DCAL Livedrive radio programe..my 2 cents...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bungo63

My kids saw it from Lusk in North County Dublin. It appeared to the west and was green in colour. It was crashing twords the earth i.e. not flying along like a plane or similar. Callers to Today FM have also reported seeing the fireball.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Saw it this evening over Castlebar, frightened the sh1te out of me!!!! Was about 6.50pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

yop wrote: »
    Saw it this evening over Castlebar, frightened the sh1te out of me!!!! Was about 6.50pm this evening.
    6:50? That doesn't match up with the sighting times (which all say 6). Is there a possibility to see more? Sickened I didn't see it. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭irishgeo

yop wrote: »

seen that one too. about 7 i seen it. heading easterly direction.

really orange it was.

this was a different from the first one everyone else is referring too.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

irishgeo wrote: »
    seen that one too. about 7 i seen it. heading easterly direction.

really orange it was.

this was a different from the first one everyone else is referring too.

Lol, that was a special Mayo one :) Aye definately that time. Was on the phone to my Mam and thought it was a plane on first.

Looks like there was more than one now, reports says it was a meteorite that broke up over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

just doing a rough vector trace on my own and other reports and
    55.677584,-10.321655 is where it may have come down in the Atlantic ene of Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭LithiumKid1976

hi
    i seen it too this evening, i was leaving oranmore, heading for the motorway and it lit up the sky, around 17:45, i thought it was a plane at first, as it seemed to be over the airport direction. looked kinda blue in parts when i seen it.

pretty amazing site...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Amigaman wrote: »
    just doing a rough vector trace on my own and other reports and
    55.677584,-10.321655 is where it may have come down in the Atlantic ene of Donegal

it may have landed on a road with all the potholes in them lately, no one is going to notice another one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Oh my god! awesome I saw it! about 6pm North direction about ten seconds in total was looking over at tirellen heights (galway) as driving saw it to my left, unreal bright green, seemed to appear out of nowhere, was like something out of a movie set, delighted I saw it, nearly had a crash watching it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Saw in too! Just leaving Athlone town heading to Roscommon, thought it was some kind of aircraft crashing, was expecting to see flames in a field, getting ready to ring the gards. My passenger didn't know know what I was going on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭.50 (MOA)

saw it in the sky on the road from castlederg to castlefin (scraghy) as i was approaching the petrol station on the left (for anyone who knows this bog road) thought it was one of the ligths reflecting on the windscreen. only saw it for about a second, maybe 2. was just bfore 6 o clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

You can expect this to occur occasionally over the next few years, we've entered a new solar cycle (24) which is forecasted to have some unusual solar activity. Nothing to worry about. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

WOW!

About how big would it have been? Would parts of it have landed or just broken up in the atmosphere? Where do you guys think it may have come from, asteroid belt maybe?

Cheers,

Kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Possibly landed in Co. Cavan according to David Moore on the news there, going rate of $500 per gramme would be quite tasty for the lucky finder.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,904 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

DKZ wrote: »
    You can expect this to occur occasionally over the next few years, we've entered a new solar cycle (24) which is forecasted to have some unusual solar activity. Nothing to worry about. :)
    What does that have to do with meteors? Nothing.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

RTE at 9.00pm news had a mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dougal-maguire

reported to have landed not too far from me,in crimlin co.cavan,only a mile or 2 outside cavan town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

quick!!everybody to dougals house , I could do with some cash

Advertisement