Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N25 - Waterford to Glenmore [design ongoing; ABP in mid 2022]

• 03-02-2010 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Not sure which thread to put this in, the N25 Waterford Bypass would be the closest but its lokced. I am not sure if it has been mentioned before, but route options for proposed DC scheme to link the end of the WCB to the proposed New Ross bypass have been posted here:

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Roads/Roads_Projects/N25WaterfordGlenmore/

Edited to attach scheme document and maps ~ Furet
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

This is a very busy route (I've travelled it for years) and can be very frustrating to drive due to the high traffic numbers and lack of overtaking opportunities.

Its also a well known speed trap since flustered drivers (after been stuck in New Ross or Waterford) try to make up some time.

There has been many fatal accidents. Once I saw an English registered car driving towards me on the wrong side of the road as they had been confused by the road markings (my side had a slow lane & a normal lane, the other side just a single lane).

Definitely for safety reasons alone it needs to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Yeah it sure is a busy road, the 2+1 is dodgy especially in the dark. Does Euroroute status (E30) allow for EU funding or is it just a name I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

wellbutty wrote: »
    Yeah it sure is a busy road, the 2+1 is dodgy especially in the dark. Does Euroroute status (E30) allow for EU funding or is it just a name I wonder?

While the Euroroute status might be an indicator of what routes might deserve EU funding, the Euroroute designation itself is made by the UN Economic Commission for Europe, not the EU.

/csd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Small update here. Tender for a topographical survey: http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=AUG260855

This 10km scheme doesn't seem to have been suspended at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

Tremelo wrote: »
    Small update here. Tender for a topographical survey: http://www.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=AUG260855

This 10km scheme doesn't seem to have been suspended at all.

This road was never going to go ahead, as i heard from someone high up. This topographical survey was previously done so that must be a mistake on e-tenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's a reasonably decent two lane road, I think with low cost safety improvements and junction improvements the high accident rate could easily be reduced. I never saw the big need for it as a priority new road. There are far worse stretches of N road in the country. The N25 between New Ross and Waterford is a reasonably good road overall.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

7 years on, scheme has been reactivated by TII, and is a priority for them. Will bridge the DC gap between the New Ross bypass and the Waterford bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

As I've given out about before, this one irritates me as, despite whatever cost/benefit they've done, that a Dungarvan bypass should be done ahead of this on the N25, or Midleton to Youghal (bypassing Killeagh and Castlemartyr). I cannot understand the push for this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Because it's about 8 Kms long probably and would just feel wrong between two sections of modern high grade motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

As I've given out about before, this one irritates me as, despite whatever cost/benefit they've done, that a Dungarvan bypass should be done ahead of this on the N25, or Midleton to Youghal (bypassing Killeagh and Castlemartyr). I cannot understand the push for this one.

I wouldn't disagree with you that there are other parts of the N25 that require action. However I suppose given the length of the route and the fact that there will be dual-carriageway on either side this is probably a "quick win" scheme to get done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

Jayuu wrote: »
    I wouldn't disagree with you that there are other parts of the N25 that require action. However I suppose given the length of the route and the fact that there will be dual-carriageway on either side this is probably a "quick win" scheme to get done.

I'm no civil engineer but I do know the area very well and I would imagine it wouldn't be a technically challenging job as the terrain is not too difficult (assuming they go for an online widening). The road is already quite wide with decent grass verges.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

NedNew2 wrote: »
    I'm no civil engineer but I do know the area very well and I would imagine it wouldn't be a technically challenging job as the terrain is not too difficult (assuming they go for an online widening). The road is already quite wide with decent grass verges.
    Why not just go the whole way and have a motorway linking New Ross and Waterford? After all, the Waterford bypass appears to be a motorway in all but name while the first few km of the New Ross Bypass will be HQDC spec too (to the R733). When done, just re-designate the whole lot from the R733 to Kilmeadan including the major bridge currently under construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

marno21 wrote: »
    7 years on, scheme has been reactivated by TII, and is a priority for them. Will bridge the DC gap between the New Ross bypass and the Waterford bypass

Where are you getting this information from? Would be great to see it happen.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Middle Man wrote: »
    Why not just go the whole way and have a motorway linking New Ross and Waterford? After all, the Waterford bypass appears to be a motorway in all but name while the first few km of the New Ross Bypass will be HQDC spec too (to the R733). When done, just re-designate the whole lot from the R733 to Kilmeadan including the major bridge currently under construction.
    This does give scope for an M25 redesgination between New Ross Jn (R733) and Kilmeaden. The roundabout at the western terminus of the New Ross BP would require grade seperation if that was the case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Thanks Marno21 - any indication of further progress e.g. construction start and finish dates?

blindsider wrote: »
    Thanks Marno21 - any indication of further progress e.g. construction start and finish dates?
    It won't start construction until after 2023/4 anyway - very early to be calling anything beyond that.

As I've ranted about before, this is ridiculously far up the priority list so I'd expect this to be pushed quite strongly. Its between two bits of decent dual carriageway (once New Ross is done) and that seems to be why they're foaming at the mouth to get this done rather than do Midleton to Youghal which is far more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Leaving that at times dangerous and now short two lane section between two lengths of motorway standard road makes little sense.

Stick an enforced 80kmh limit on it for the time being, ban overtaking along most of it and put the money and effort into Midleton to Youghal. Its not a long enough gap to really inconvenience drivers or slow things down but the jamups and traffic levels on going through Castlemartyr and Killeagh are far more disruptive than anything along here, by a long shot.

Anyway, I presume this will be 2+2 when they do it? Likely one junction in the middle?

• Advertisement

Stick an enforced 80kmh limit on it for the time being, ban overtaking along most of it and put the money and effort into Midleton to Youghal. Its not a long enough gap to really inconvenience drivers or slow things down but the jamups and traffic levels on going through Castlemartyr and Killeagh are far more disruptive than anything along here, by a long shot.

Anyway, I presume this will be 2+2 when they do it? Likely one junction in the middle?

It’s motorway standard on both sides so would make sense to be motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Might see the first length of M25, then, from Kilmeaden to New Ross.

As I've ranted about before, this is ridiculously far up the priority list so I'd expect this to be pushed quite strongly. Its between two bits of decent dual carriageway (once New Ross is done) and that seems to be why they're foaming at the mouth to get this done rather than do Midleton to Youghal which is far more important.

Lot/all of it was already realigned in the 80/90s- there are literally dozens of far more pressing schemes to be looked at well before this. There’s no way any of the other N25 bottlenecks should be ignored over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Are you sure New Ross bypass is type 1 DC? Looks like type 2 in the pics I've seen so far?

Are you sure New Ross bypass is type 1 DC? Looks like type 2 in the pics I've seen so far?

Glenmore-R733 junction is Type 1, east of there is Type 2.

In effect the bridge and approaches are Type 1 and the rest then is Type 2, thus most of what’s completed is Type 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

The bridge is motorway standard, the rest is just ring a road around New Ross.
    Future proofing for an eventual motorway from Cork to Rosslare.

Atkins have commenced work on Phase 1 (feasibility/scope) of this project, which will consist of 9.5km of dual carriageway between the N25 Waterford bypass at Slieverue and the N25 New Ross bypass at Glenmore. All previous work will be discarded, starting totally afresh.

The rough timeline has been published as follows:

Phase 1 (feasibility/scope) - complete by end 2019
    Phase 2 (route selection) - complete by mid 2020
    Phase 3 (design/EIS) - complete by mid 2021
    Phase 4 (statutory process/submission of CPO/EIS to ABP) - complete by mid 2022.

Project website now live @ https://n25waterford2glenmore.ie

If this gets out of ABP by mid 2022 as per schedule we could be looking at construction in early 2024.

Stretch has a poor accident rate for some reason but certainly not the poorest quality N route out there- wouldn’t be a major priority scheme on my list- they could address the safety issues for sure and it would be ok for another while. Far worse roads around the country

road_high wrote: »
    Stretch has a poor accident rate for some reason but certainly not the poorest quality N route out there- wouldn’t be a major priority scheme on my list- they could address the safety issues for sure and it would be ok for another while. Far worse roads around the country
    This project should be doable for 8 figures. Whilst not at the top of the priority list, it should be possible to do it within the next 6-8 years without breaking the bank.

• Advertisement

This project should be doable for 8 figures. Whilst not at the top of the priority list, it should be possible to do it within the next 6-8 years without breaking the bank.

True but I think given the loaves and fishes times we live in a far greater dividend could be had from bypassing the likes of Dungarvan, Killeigh and Castlemartyr on this road. This isn’t a bottleneck as such where as they most certainly are

Advertisement