Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnrod Éireann Pets Policy

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Allowed on bus by discretion. Not allowed on dart at all.

okay so i guess i was seeing things everytime i saw a dog on the dart....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

God be with the days of an A-class diesel hauling a rake of laminateds and Cravens - there was room for everything back then - mail., parcels, chickens, ducks and dogs! Bring back steam (heating) and black and orange carriages. :D
    Sorry just came back here for some light relief after a Headshop thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

pixiebean22, I think at this stage that you need to get a formal answer from Irish Rail.

It is probably not unreasonable for them to deny boarding to such a large dog.

So, I think its going to be your boyfriend will be doing the travelling, unless you can get a suitable lift (such a large dog is probably a hazard in most cars as it would be difficult to restrain).
    mail
    It wasn't mail. It was a bullock in a mail bag. Or so the story goes after official freight was removed from the Harcourt Street line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

well the fact that my dog was on the dart begs to differ.... and i have been on the dart plenty of times and seen plenty of people with dogs, not just guide dogs

Chances are you probably walked on the DART with Henry dog and nobody said boo to you; not shocking with a 5 foot dog at your shoulder:D

Personally I don't mind the idea of a dog on a train or bus but not every dog is going to be friendly and placid and certainly not every passenger would be keep on a dog close to them for their own reasons.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Chances are you probably walked on the DART with Henry dog and nobody said boo to you; not shocking with a 5 foot dog at your shoulder:D

Personally I don't mind the idea of a dog on a train or bus but not every dog is going to be friendly and placid and certainly not every passenger would be keep on a dog close to them for their own reasons.

nope, i walked into pearse st station and asked three different fellows in their high vis and they said it was no problem, just keep him under control. I would hardly just walk on and then run the risk of not being able to get back on the dart on the way home and be stranded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Email customerrelations@irishrail.ie and ask them to state it definitively. Something like:
    The IE Conditions of Carriage state that large dogs can only be conveyed in the Guards Van of a train. Most InterCity services are now operated by 22000 Class DMUs, which do not have a Guards Van. Does this mean that IE will refuse to carry dogs on these services?

I'm going to do the same thing, as I'd had the same question. Let's see what answers we get!

/csd

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

IE exists today to provide employment for those unemployable in the private sector - the public/parcels/pets are regarded as a nuisance.

It also exists to allow metrosexual muppets write long posts (when they come in from their IRRS meeting) about why the line from Ballymcwards to Kilboggelly should be reopened by IE and how it would only cost 2/6 per furlong to do so, and if you get each passenger to pay £1 2s 3d then the line will pay for itself after 87 years (assuming that there isn't any maintenance).

Unfortunately sometimes they break free and manage to persuade the Politicos...

parsi wrote: »
    It also exists to allow metrosexual muppets write long posts (when they come in from their IRRS meeting) about why the line from Ballymcwards to Kilboggelly should be reopened by IE and how it would only cost 2/6 per furlong to do so, and if you get each passenger to pay £1 2s 3d then the line will pay for itself after 87 years (assuming that there isn't any maintenance).

Careful now don't mention the WRC.....oops I feel a ban coming on! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

It's like the way i feel about children, i don't want to have to look/listen to them at any time.

I love you... :D

csd wrote: »
    Email customerrelations@irishrail.ie and ask them to state it definitively. Something like:

I'm going to do the same thing, as I'd had the same question. Let's see what answers we get!

/csd

I have e-mailed Irish Rail at every e-mail address I can find for them numerous times since the beginning of January and have never gotten a reply, let alone acknowledgment of my e-mail.

• Advertisement

I love you... :D

Aw ta, unfortunately, it's common practice to allow kids in public places without restraints... go figure

I have e-mailed Irish Rail at every e-mail address I can find for them numerous times since the beginning of January and have never gotten a reply, let alone acknowledgment of my e-mail.

As I am tired of saying if you want action write/email the organ grinder not his monkey:

Dick Fearn,
    CEO Irish Rail,
    Connolly Station,
    Dublin.1.

You will get a reply but it may take a while. :)

As I am tired of saying if you want action write/email the organ grinder not his monkey:

Dick Fearn,
    CEO Irish Rail,
    Connolly Station,
    Dublin.1.

You will get a reply but it may take a while. :)

I think you are just tired in general, as that is the first time you have posted something useful. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

God be with the days of an A-class diesel hauling a rake of laminateds and Cravens - there was room for everything back then - mail., parcels, chickens, ducks and dogs! Bring back steam (heating) and black and orange carriages. :D
    Sorry just came back here for some light relief after a Headshop thread!

Bringing back memories now. I loved the look of the black and orange, especially since I'm a Cats fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

the new 22ks (DMUs) mean there is generally no gaurds van anymore.
    Is Kilkenny served by the Mk4 that run the cork line? If not then you are out of luck unfortunitly.

Someone more knowledgable should be along soon to confirm Mk4 or 22k I'd imagine

The Cork MK4 trains serve Dublin-Cork route only and never leave the Cork-Dublin line.

If you were going anywhere other than Dublin-Cork or an intermediate station served by the Cork-Dublin train directly, you're out of luck!

All other routes, except Belfast are served by Intercity Railcars which have no luggage vans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

parsi wrote: »

the Kilboggelly line is unlikely to re-open due to the number of people who have built drives to their premises across the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

The head of customer relations North & East got back to me two days after emailing.

His answer is that unless it's a lapdog, the only routes you can bring dogs on IE are Dublin - Cork and Dublin - Belfast, these being the only two routes with anything resembling a guards/luggage van.

/csd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

its a great dane..... stick a suit on him and buy him a ticket!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

:confused: Its the website of the company that run all the trains, I imagine it's quite useful for train related information

:rolleyes:

You'd think so, wouldn't you.

This is the company that's currently trialling WiFi, while their FAQ states that it'll soon be obsolete:
    Iarnród Éireann (IÉ) feels that it wouldn’t be in the public or the company’s best interest to install the current wireless technologies on its fleet for customer use due to the limited lifespan of said technologies. Anything we install now is likely to be completely redundant within five years.

And that regularly ignores its published passenger charter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Have you done your travelling yet OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MOH wrote: »
    You'd think so, wouldn't you.

This is the company that's currently trialling WiFi, while their FAQ states that it'll soon be obsolete:

And that regularly ignores its published passenger charter

I said "train related information", I never said it was correct :p;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

so who won, the dog or the boyfriend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

Could you not fold him up and put him in the overhead storage?

GreatDane.jpg

Advertisement