Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnrod Éireann Pets Policy

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

haha, probably can and will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I know, been in that situation too unfortunately :(

Well it's sorted now, thanks to all of you who offered helpful advice. Spoke to someone in Iarnrod Eireann today who told me that they take pets on all their intercity services and this apparently includes the Dublin-Waterford/Kilkenny routes so problem solved. Was told that if the dude checking the tickets refuses to let my dog on the train to contact the station master and that station masters cannot go against rules and it is stipulated in iarnrod eireann's rules that any train that can accept pets must accept pets and this includes all intercity trains. Handy information which they probably should put on their website :)

Thanks again.
    Did you explain you want to bring a small horse? :)

hey there's nothing small about Henry! ;)

i did tell her he's a great dane and she said they accommodate all breeds so i guess i have to go on her word...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

hey there's nothing small about Henry! ;)

i did tell her he's a great dane and she said they accommodate all breeds so i guess i have to go on her word...

Hi,

Can I ask who you spoke to in IE? I was told recently that I cannot bring my boxer as he was too big. I'm guessing he would be smaller than Henry!

Do you have to put him in a box?

Didn't get her name but that wouldn't matter anyway because she was just someone unlucky enough to pick up the phone. She said that the intercity trains all have "guard's cabins", these are where pets are kept, they have to be secured in a crate and sufficiently muzzled. She said travelling at peak times would obviously be a bit more uncertain but I wouldn't be bringing my dog through hueston at peak times anyway he'd cause a scene.

• Advertisement

Oh, realise there is a luggage weight - I think 50 pounds (about 23kg).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

If I got on a train and there was a large dog like a Great Dane on board I would be seriously unimpressed.

I hope their policy never allows such animals to share cabins with humans.

Sorry OP.

Oh I don't want my dane to share a cabin with passengers, jesus i wouldn't force my dog on anyone. It's like the way i feel about children, i don't want to have to look/listen to them at any time.

There is a separate cabin "guard's cabin" on iarnrod eireann trains, completely separate to passengers.

There is a separate cabin "guard's cabin" on iarnrod eireann trains, completely separate to passengers.
    Only on Cork-Dublin-Belfast trains and some specials. All others are dedicated to carrying passengers only, save for a small dining section.

I have been told by a staff member that they have them on all intercity trains, whether they actually allow the dog on is another story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

I have been told by a staff member that they have them on all intercity trains, whether they actually allow the dog on is another story

But they don't have it now, pet. The old carriage and loco sets did but the new railcar sets don't have space or a guards compartment. Unless they put Henry Dog in with the driver:)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kassie

My boyfriend lives in Kilkenny and as I don't drive (my boyfriend has a fireblade and as hilarious as a side car would be on the side of that, it's not realistic)

so something like this is out of the question??? :D

Image025.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It's really strange how different countries act so differently to dogs.

Some cities or countries allow dogs on even city public transport without a blink of the eye. Others restrict that to small dogs which can be put on the owner's lap.

Citizensinformation.ie says:
    Pets (with the exception of Guide dogs and hearing dogs for people with hearing impairments) are not allowed onto DART or Suburban rail trains. Pets are allowed on Intercity trains, provided they are properly restrained and supervised.

And:
    Animals other than guide dogs are carried on Dublin bus services at the discretion of the driver. According the by-laws governing Dublin Bus, you cannot bring an animal onto the bus if an authorised person (i.e., driver or inspector) asks you not to do so.

so the person who works for iarnrod eireann doesn't know what type of trains they have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I can't believe that this thread is still ongoing - you cannot bring a dog on a train unless it is in a travel box - end of story no matter what a mate who works in Ballydehob Junction says. A Great Dane will not fit in a travel box.

Someone was misinformed.

http://www.irishrail.ie/fleet_information/intercity_fleet.asp

In all likelyhood the train will be a 22000 Class DMU for which there are no guards vans.

kassie wrote: »
    so something like this is out of the question??? :D

Image025.jpg

yep, i doubt a side car could keep into a fireblade, it would probably fall apart at the speed my bf goes

I can't believe that this thread is still ongoing - you cannot bring a dog on a train unless it is in a travel box - end of story no matter what a mate who works in Ballydehob Junction says. A Great Dane will not fit in a travel box.

Sorry, what are you talking about? Nobody is asking you to read the thread if you're so aghast that it is still ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

so the person who works for iarnrod eireann doesn't know what type of trains they have?

I imagine 95% of the office staff in IE have no idea what types of trains they have.

"I think we have some green ones, and some orange ones..."

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Irishrail.ie:
    Q. Can Dogs or other pets travel on the train?
    A. Dogs or other Pets must be conveyed in the guard's van. An exception applies to small dogs carried on the owners lap and guide dogs, both of which are permitted to travel in the passenger compartment. In the case of lap dogs, Iarnród Éireann station staff reserve the right to refuse access to the passenger compartment if they consider other passengers comfort and safety is likely to be affected.

Any other dog must be:

Secured with collar and chain and efficiently muzzled. The construction of the muzzle must render it impossible for the dog to bite any person or animal, but it should not prevent the dog from breathing freely or lapping water; or

Contained in a wooden case, cage, basket or hamper constructed to make it impossible for the dog to bite any person or animal. The receptacle must be sufficiently large to allow the dog to stand up and lie down with ease and comfort and must be adequately ventilated.

Greyhounds must be conveyed in kennels at all times. All dogs must be properly labelled giving the name, address and destination of the owner. Charges apply, please contact your local ticket office.

If there is no guard's van (non passenger carriage) on a service, pets other than the exceptions described above may not be carried on that train. Please contact your local station to ensure there is suitable accommodation for your intended journey.

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »
    Irishrail.ie:

yes? what use is that?

yes? what use is that?

:confused: Its the website of the company that run all the trains, I imagine it's quite useful for train related information

:rolleyes:

monument wrote: »
    It's really strange how different countries act so differently to dogs.

Some cities or countries allow dogs on even city public transport without a blink of the eye. Others restrict that to small dogs which can be put on the owner's lap.

And:

And yet they're willing to bend their rules occasionally, I have had my dog on both dublin bus and the dart without any problems

:confused: Its the website of the company that run all the trains, I imagine it's quite useful for train related information

:rolleyes:

hilarious.

I quoted that exact same paragraph in my original post...

My problem with the information provided is that it doesn't say what trains have these guard's cabins and what trains don't. Some people on the forum have said they definitely don't, while a staff member at IE have said they do and i've been told that this staff member doesn't know what he/she is talking about so welcome to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

I honestly think your best bet is trying to find somewhere to leave the dog. From past experiences IR don't know there ar$e from their elbow. You wil only end up frustrating yourself.

And yet they're willing to bend their rules occasionally, I have had my dog on both dublin bus and the dart without any problems

why would you even try that knowing its against the rules?

thing is i've been travelling up and down to kerry since i was 5, i'm now 22, and apart from the ridiculous fares, i have never had any problems with them whatsoever (maybe i'm just one of the lucky few) so that's the only reason i am persisting in trying to find a definitive answer

why would you even try that knowing its against the rules?

because there is also conflicting information that allowing pets on darts and dublin bus is at the driver's discretion

because there is also conflicting information that allowing pets on darts and dublin bus is at the driver's discretion

Allowed on bus by discretion. Not allowed on DART at all.

Pets (with the exception of Guide dogs and hearing dogs for people with hearing impairments) are not allowed onto DART or Suburban rail trains. Pets are allowed on Intercity trains, provided they are properly restrained and supervised.

pretty straight forward tbh

• Advertisement

Allowed on bus by discretion. Not allowed on dart at all.

well the fact that my dog was on the dart begs to differ.... and i have been on the dart plenty of times and seen plenty of people with dogs, not just guide dogs

Advertisement