Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Carl Frampton Thread

Options
  • 31-01-2010 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I believe that Carl is one of the most exciting boxers to turn over in years and I look forward to following his career to the top.

I had the pleasure of spending a few days with him over in England this month and I produced this article and took a few wee snaps that I hope you enjoy.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=25032

4312197966_2a3603371c.jpg4296989397_6acf070141.jpg

4296073280_8b0d44d4b6.jpg4296072234_a636c74074.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Our best prospect imo(wouldn't say it over on Eastside though :D), and looks destined to go far.

Here's him in his 3rd fight

Vintage could you post the link to last years senior final if you still have it,
    very frustrating that RTE keep these things available but have them basically hidden.

He was a talented amateur but is probably better suited to the pro game.
    Is defensively very sound(especially for such a novice), punches very hard with either hand, and his combinations flow together nicely.

As BamBam pointed out over on Eastside, the only thing he really needs to improve on at the moment is getting counters in when his opponent flurries because at the moment he just tucks up(although he blocks pretty much everything), and better fighters will employ hit and run tactics against him if that remains the same.

It's great that he's been getting such high quality sparring aswell, being in the ring with a guy like Booth is bound to bring you on quite a lot and he's got a good man behind him in McGuigan so everything looks promising.

I normally wouldn't like to promote other forums, but Carl does post himself a little over on http://www.eastsideboxing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36099&page=1022, Carlos Jackal is his username. Just thought I'd mention it incase anyone wanted to gain a bit more info about him or gain an incite into his character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

It was here - http://www.rte.ie/sport/other/2009/0220/irishamateurs_av.html

I looked at it about two weeks ago and it was fine but it didnt work just there for me but it could have been my computer. It would be great if someone could upload it onto YouTube because there was some great scraps that night.

Thanks, it's working for me now anyway.
    I agree it would be great if someone could put it onto Youtube, there was some fantastic fights that night and the Frampton v David Oliver Joyce Fight is possibly the best amateur bout I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,712 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Big Ears wrote: »
    Thanks, it's working for me now anyway.
    I agree it would be great if someone could put it onto Youtube, there was some fantastic fights that night and the Frampton v David Oliver Joyce Fight is possibly the best amateur bout I've ever seen.

Yes, absolute brilliant amateur bout. The best Irish bout I have ever seen. I watched that Live last year and saved the clip onto the PC, still have it. A treasure it is.

walshb wrote: »
    Yes, absolute brilliant amateur bout. The best Irish bout I have ever seen. I watched that Live last year and saved the clip onto the PC, still have it. A treasure it is.

get it up on YouTube walshy - dont pretend you dont know how.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,712 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, I haven't ever put a video on youtube, but when I get home I will give it a bash!
    I am sure there's a "course" on how to do it. The internet, for anything you need....

Youtube gives a detailed instruction on how to upload.

I have the whole TV coverage from the 2009 Championships.
    I think it's over an hour long, so it's not just the Frampton
    fight. To upload this will be a little more tricky

walshb wrote: »
    Well, I haven't ever put a video on youtube, but when I get home I will give it a bash!
    I am sure there's a "course" on how to do it. The internet, for anything you need....

Youtube gives a detailed instruction on how to upload.

I have the whole TV coverage from the 2009 Championships.
    I think it's over an hour long, so it's not just the Frampton
    fight. To upload this will be a little more tricky

youtube only allows you to up load in chuncks of 10 minutes so you would probably need to split the fights up.

Carl beat Yoan Boyeaux(Frenchman who was 2-0), tonight on points 40-37.
    Wasn't shown on Sky so dunno how the fight went, but hopefully it will mange to find its way to youtube.

From what I've heard on another forum the Frenchman did a lot of back-pedalling.

Hopefully the fight served as a good learning experience for Carl, he's got his first win against a man with a winning record and another 4 rounds under his belt aswell.

Frampton is over in England this week and was sparring Akaash Bhatia yesterday.

Frampton fights in Huddersfield this friday!

22362_1230112589727_1136486120_30562862_3431315_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Power puncher - 6 March 2010 - by Leonard Gunning

Barry McGuigan dismissed his young charge's latest victory as meaningless but maintains that Carl Frampton is destined for future greatness by obtaining experience in the gym with top class sparring partners.

Belfast’s boxing punching super-bantamweight prospect Carl Frampton extended his record to 5-0 (3KO) following a one round demolition of unknown and previously unbeaten Hungarian novice Istvan Szabo on the undercard of the Gary Sykes’ victory over Andy Morris for the British super featherweight title at Huddersfield on Friday, March 5. Frampton cut through Szabo like a hot knife through butter as he continued his march toward a title tilt - but his mentor, former WBA world champion, Barry McGuigan was keen to focus on the experience he is gaining with Britain’s best super bantamweights.

McGuigan explained, "He didn’t get the rounds in that we wanted. It was hard to gauge Szabo’s background from the limited information we had but that doesn’t matter, the point is that he is out fighting regularly. "We are keeping him busy and getting him used to hostile atmospheres, getting him to understand what its like to get ready for a big fight and the most important thing of all is that he is getting the sparring that he needs and that is really where he is learning – not out there tonight.”

Frampton, a two-weight Irish amateur champion, came to the ring in his now familiar black and gold attire and was soon followed by his taller, lighter Hungarian foe. As the opening bell sounded Szabo started the bout brightly utilising his longer reach and landing a long double jab from an orthodox stance and followed this up with a lunging straight right which caught the Tiger’s Bay fighter on the ribcage.

The brick fisted ‘Jackal’ seemed unperturbed by this assault and stepped forward to land a looping right hook which cuffed Szabo about the temple. Szabo clinched and replied with a right cross which Hungarian off balance and back peddling towards the ropes.

The taller fighter regained his composure and prodded out of weak jab which was met by Frampton who countered with a double hook to body and then head which shook Szabo to his core..........................the rest of the story is here - http://www.irish-boxing.com/stories/march10/mar10_frampton_star.html

no actually pictures of the fight because I was using the camera as a video!

4414122020_67cf1e637d.jpg4413353161_d8901113c3.jpg

4414120058_c5b2a9a67d.jpg4413350393_285e2228d0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Nice pics Kits. Barry McGuigan looking very nerdy with the specs. I heard Frampton took him out fairly lively. Know anywhere I can catch the fight? I have yet to see Ireland's future hopeful fighting.

magma69 wrote: »
    Nice pics Kits. Barry McGuigan looking very nerdy with the specs. I heard Frampton took him out fairly lively. Know anywhere I can catch the fight? I have yet to see Ireland's future hopeful fighting.

Yerman was shiote! Not Carls fault, they did try and get a better fighter but he pulled out. I posted my article above which literally describes the whole 40 second fight. :)

SKY never showed the fight but I will have it uploaded onto YouTube for the interested forumistas!

4413581451_e93b8bc2b3.jpg

4413579877_ee9dcecc21.jpg

4413580727_e701eac102.jpg

Yerman was shiote! Not Carls fault, they did try and get a better fighter but he pulled out. I posted my article above which literally describes the whole 40 second fight. :)

SKY never showed the fight but I will have it uploaded onto YouTube for the interested forumistas!

Looking forward to seeing it even if it was a total mismatch. Fair dues to ya Len. You contribute lots to the community, it doesn't go unappreciated.

We won't have to wait long to see him in action again anyways and hopefully he'll get a few rounds out of the next one. Onwards and upwards as they say.

Anyone fancy one of these bad boys??

4652974733_6f2f00d91e_b.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

yeh nice hoodie, how do i get one?

maxxie wrote: »

Just email Vintage and he should be able to sort you out with one.

• Advertisement

maxxie wrote: »

I have requested a couple of amends to the design - just tweaks. Should be ready to order soon. Only doing twenty to start with.

They are usually £45 off that site but the guy will do them for cost because they havent got any fighters in Ireland.

They do Prince Arron (the guy that won the last Prizefighter) and mostly MMA guys - http://www.bellatorgero.com/

They will be £20 including P&P.

Shall I put you down for one?

Big Ears?

If anyone else wants one just leave a messege here or PM me.

Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

Stick one away for me please... Nice one!

Ya I'll have one off you aswell Vintage, the hoodies will be able to show who were on the bandwagon from the start and who were the Johnny Come latelys when he wins a World title ;)

Big Ears wrote: »
    Ya I'll have one off you aswell Vintage, the hoodies will be able to show who were on the bandwagon from the start and who were the Johnny Come latelys when he wins a World title ;)

good man - I'll stick you down.

Thats a point, we wont do a run of these again - if we do another run it will be a t-shirt or a different design.

:D

in honour of big heads Belfast debut I have uploaded his fight against Szabo and his sparring with Booth on my new YouTube channel.

Will he be on the box tonight?

Will he be on the box tonight?

FFN is only 1.5 hours tonight because of fúckin cricket.

Literally just got a text there to say Frampton is in the ring and battering hell outta Bailey!

Literally just got a text there to say Frampton is in the ring and battering hell outta Bailey!

Yay for Frampton kicking hole.

Boo for him not being on the tele.

Cricket ffs :rolleyes:, hurling for pussies is all that sport is!! :pac:

Yay for Frampton kicking hole.

Boo for him not being on the tele.

Cricket ffs :rolleyes:, hurling for pussies is all that sport is!! :pac:

If McCloskey wins by KO (probably) and Haughian does the same (impprobably) then big head will be on ra teley!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Frampton got a good fight out of Bailey. I thought Bailey did ok, he wasn't afraid to trade with Frampton and it wasn't totally one side IMO. Frampton was tired towards the end of the fight.
    The Frampton fans adapted the "walking in the Hatton wonderland" annoying song at the fight:mad:

Advertisement