Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Accommodation for 2010/2011 Help!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hipie

Hi: I'm ready to sign up for Merville but I can't tell which house is one of the new residences. Can someone who is there or has been there tell me that?

Looks like houses 1,2,3 and 8,9 are old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Booked my room. Got Belgrove, was hoping for Merville but that filled up in minutes.

Not to worry!

merville is still available (maybe just for international students). can someone tell me which floor is better or does it matter? Is there an elevator? Which apartments are above reception?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Yep, don't park in the car park just inside the main entrance of any residence where the drunk folks go by, you will wake up with a missing side mirror or your car will have been jumped on (true story). If Belgrove, I'd park in the carpark outside the residence gate or in the side square beside the car entrance.. Merville the carpark between Glen and Merv tends to be left alone. Parking between house 3 and 7 is dodge!
    Don't park overnight in the car park between the bar and Belgrove, have seen wing mirrors hanging off cars and far worse on Friday mornings..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

so at midnight there is a security gate and if you bring someone to stay the night you have to sign them in? really?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭uppishhauk

valor wrote: »
    so at midnight there is a security gate and if you bring someone to stay the night you have to sign them in? really?
    they've got to be out by midnight but if you want them to stay overnight you need to make an request at office before 4pm on the day, if you don't get that then after midnight security wont let then in

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Does Glenomena actually have a microwave oven and Satellite tv included in charge as the website says?
    everyone i knew in gleno last year didn't get any satellite TV but you never know they might of brought it in this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

valor wrote: »

Nah. I had people stay over all the time last year and never notified the office :rolleyes:

Basically, the gates shut at midnight. If you already have someone over, grand - they don't come around to every house and check the residents.
    If you're out and returning after midnight, you use your student card to open the gate. The guards are in their hut but they only time I ever seen them come out to check residents student cards was on the very last week of term - the whole rest of the year they just let you walk past. So all you need is one resident to open the gate and then you can let other people in.

That said, if you're causing an almighty ruckus then chances are the guards WILL come out so just don't draw attention to yourself when entering the residence!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mascot

I have just one question to ask- Im doing an MA in ucd next year and will be living on campus.

I dont mind and we were all first years once the odd party/banter at times but is it noisy or is are the rooms there dead on if you dont want to go a party and do abit of work sometimes?

I only ask as i have heard various stories that its pretty loud and party mad and others who say that the campus accmodation is the worst place to have a party.

Just with a MA i dont want to mess up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mango1734

just a question... does anyone know how many apartments are there on a floor in gleno? and what floor is apartment 12 on?

• Advertisement

mango1734 wrote: »
    just a question... does anyone know how many apartments are there on a floor in gleno? and what floor is apartment 12 on?
    3rd floor AFAIK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 silvietta

hipie wrote: »
    Hi: I'm ready to sign up for Merville but I can't tell which house is one of the new residences. Can someone who is there or has been there tell me that?

Looks like houses 1,2,3 and 8,9 are old.
    Did u discover which one are the renovated apartments???

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kiwi2

How do some bloggers know where they got? I put my name on priority list in late june (maybe around the 29th).. I thought you can't really apply for accomodation until august??? I'm confused!!...:p anyone want to explain plez??... :D

kiwi2 wrote: »
    How do some bloggers know where they got? I put my name on priority list in late june (maybe around the 29th).. I thought you can't really apply for accomodation until august??? I'm confused!!...:p anyone want to explain plez??... :D
    if you are in the first year category then you wait till the offers come out and if you get into ucd and then you pick your room but if you are in any other category you get to pick your room straight away as people in the other categories already know they will be in ucd etc

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kiwi2

uppishhauk wrote: »
    if you are in the first year category then you wait till the offers come out and if you get into ucd and then you pick your room but if you are in any other category you get to pick your room straight away as people in the other categories already know they will be in ucd etc

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Just wondering where do most of the first years stay on campus? And which merville houses have been renovated? Cheers.

with the new system of picking were you go its hard to tell where there will be a first year majority, it could even be evenly spread out with all the other years

as for renovated houses i'm not sure but i do know that either 11 or 16 are, or possibly both ya never know

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Behind you Joey

Any more renovated house numbers in Merville?

silvietta wrote: »
    Did u discover which one are the renovated apartments???

Someone said houses 11 to 20: They must be renovated by now: is there anyone on site that can confirm this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Laura21192

10 is definately renovated, lived there

• Advertisement

Checking into residence September 7 with lots of luggage so no room for necessities like pots/pans/dishes. Can anyone recommend where to shop for these things (cheaply) as I'm likely to leave them behind when the term ends? Also best bank to go to for a new student account?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

hipie wrote: »
    Checking into residence September 7 with lots of luggage so no room for necessities like pots/pans/dishes. Can anyone recommend where to shop for these things (cheaply) as I'm likely to leave them behind when the term ends? Also best bank to go to for a new student account?

Dunnes in Cornelscourt is on the 145 bus route from the main n11 road at the front of ucd..
    AIB branch and ATMs on campus so that's pretty handy.. otherwise bank of Ireland have a branch outside the front gate across the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

Hi.

I was just wondering if it was possible to " transfer " from Merville to Belgrove, even though I was already allocated a room in Merville. I'm afraid that Merville might be too noisy for me.

Will I lose my " allocation " and start the process over ?

Thank you in advance,

MacieC wrote: »
    Hi.

I was just wondering if it was possible to " transfer " from Merville to Belgrove, even though I was already allocated a room in Merville. I'm afraid that Merville might be too noisy for me.

Will I lose my " allocation " and start the process over ?

Thank you in advance,
    ring them and ask because you'll need to cancel where you are now and then reapply you'll be put to the bottom of the waiting list plus belgrove can be noisy too depending where you are in there, all residents will have there areas that are more noisy and areas where its quieter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

uppishhauk wrote: »
    ring them and ask because you'll need to cancel where you are now and then reapply you'll be put to the bottom of the waiting list plus belgrove can be noisy too depending where you are in there, all residents will have there areas that are more noisy and areas where its quieter

Don't reapply, it is already over subscribed so you won't get a place. Maybe ring and see if you can switch apartments, but I don't think you will be able to switch.

Also there is no way of knowing where will be noisy or quiet. Glenomena when it was just postgrads and final years could have apartments that were mental. And not all first years will be drunken messes.

Edit: I obviously intend that for the poster you were replying to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

no chance of campus accom if i only regestired today?anyone help?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MacieC

Well, I was in Belgrove last year. As I had a terrible year not getting along with my crazy/partying roomates, I wanted to change.

But I guess I'll stick with Merville. It can't be that bad. I was just thinking about getting more proximity to the library. But that's okay.

I don't want to start the process all over again.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭pandas

is there really no oven in roebuck halls?? are u kidding!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

pandas wrote: »
    is there really no oven in roebuck halls?? are u kidding!!!

There isn't.

Neither are there ovens in the renovated apartments in Merville.

Buy a George Foreman, learn how to use a frying pan and it's fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 katie007

Hey im an incoming first year student and didnt apply for campus accomodation because i didn't think i would get the points. But now im 90% sure i will get my first choice of commerce international when the offers come out on monday. I need some help in looking for accomodation near ucd, preferably id like to share a house or appartment with other ucd students.. Some advice needed please..!

Advertisement