Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Rail Corridor

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They could cut back Interconnector by doing the surface works and the portals but not tunnel as such

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Zoney wrote: »
    If they want to spend on the WRC, why not add the missing bits to WRC phase 1 (Oranmore station, passing loops, double track Athenry-Galway, flood works between Ennis/Limerick) in order to improve Limerick-Galway intercity, Limerick commuter and Galway commuter?

This is so true, get a proper Rail service to rival the new M18. Get Oranmore station open with a park and ride to the IDA parks in Parkmore, Mervue, Dangan etc.

Well said Zoney, just a shame no one will listen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

glineli wrote: »
    This is so true, get a proper Rail service to rival the new M18.
    You mean a service running at 120km/h
    Where faster trains can pass slower stopping trains?
    Where private sector transit companies can compete with the state behemoth
    Where services are offered by demand, not by the staff of IÉ or FF?
    Where the rail line can be used 24/7/365, like the road, by anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

corktina wrote: »
    top post...

Nothing that hasn't been said before by others and at that, in the boom times too.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Zoney wrote: »
    If they want to spend on the WRC, why not add the missing bits to WRC phase 1 (Oranmore station, passing loops, double track Athenry-Galway, flood works between Ennis/Limerick) in order to improve Limerick-Galway intercity, Limerick commuter and Galway commuter?

I'm open to correction on this, but I think that one part of that has finally started as I understand it. A study into the flooding between Limerick and Ennis has been commissioned with a view to addressing those problems.

• Advertisement

KC61 wrote: »
    I'm open to correction on this, but I think that one part of that has finally started as I understand it. A study into the flooding between Limerick and Ennis has been commissioned with a view to addressing those problems.

After many years of consistant flooding and closures. It should've been fixed before or during the rebuilding of the holy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

DWCommuter wrote: »
    After many years of consistant flooding and closures. It should've been fixed before or during the rebuilding of the holy road.

I also stand open to correction but I think there were some fairly significant legal arguments about whose responsibility it was, that have only finally been resolved.

I don't disagree that it should have been done before now but we do not live in a perfect world unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭StephenM_smc

What are the chances that the WRC or atleast Ennis-Limerick will be closed due to flooding again this year?

What are the chances that the WRC or atleast Ennis-Limerick will be closed due to flooding again this year?

If we get perlonged rain then the chance is more like a certainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

If we get perlonged rain then the chance is more like a certainty.

and what happens then when the pasnegers are put on a bus and find it is quicker? Just as happened after the malahide viaduct collapse.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    and what happens then when the pasnegers are put on a bus and find it is quicker? Just as happened after the malahide viaduct collapse.

Stop that Corktina. Be nice.:D

sorry said the B word agian dint I!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/18277058/

Looks like WRC will extend to Tuam but no further. See below.

'However, the Dublin to Navan rail line and the Tuam to Claremorris line have been postponed and there will be no new investment in the Luas'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Also, meeting to take place between IE and local interest groups over the stop in Crusheen. This will take place last week in August where a final decision is to be made. Thats according to Tony Killeen on Clare FM this morning.

My understanding is that there is a local developer who has said he will pay for it and talking to a few locals they feel it wont happen now. The vibes from IE are not positive. I dont know why this change but thats the current state of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

black47 wrote: »
    http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/18277058/

Looks like WRC will extend to Tuam but no further. See below.

'However, the Dublin to Navan rail line and the Tuam to Claremorris line have been postponed and there will be no new investment in the Luas'

I hope the good people of Meath give Demspey the boot after this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I think it was you posted this elsewhere westip

http://www.sbpost.ie/commentandanalysis/kenny-talks-the-talk-but-fg-fluffs-it-at-the-14th-50692.html
    One of Enda Kenny’s many appealing talents is his ability to tell a good story. (at the MacGill Summer School in Donegal.). He told another questioner that, yes, he would consider extending the Western Rail Corridor to Donegal - an idea that makes as much sense as extending the Dart to Dingle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

No not me but saw it on the other WRC thread - a quite hilarious and hairbrained story - the kind of comment that destroys Endofs credibility - its a case of when you don't know what you are talking about Enda - Shut up. One or two slip ups on RTE news today - one of their commentators commenting on the WRC said on 6.1 something along the lines of: "A lot of questions are already being asked about the Western Rail Corridor as the bus is proving a lot quicker from Limerick to Galway with the new roads" And Cowen muttered on about it that the future of the line to Tuam depends on numbers currently using the phase 1 of the WRC so i do actually think we have to wait a while before an announcement is made on Tuam. Interesting as Transport project headlined todays announcements Dempsey was nowhere to be seen......and no press releases on the DOT website cover todays story. I still say wait a while re Tuam.....there is another agenda for that one and it will not please WOT one iota.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

The WOT boys are laying it on with a trowel... Wonder if they'll suceed in getting the line built any further to Tuam?
    Development and Growth on Galway-Limerick Rail Route Welcomed

Press Release Friday June 3rd 2011

The announcement by Iarnród Éireann today of a range of new developments on the Galway-Limerick section of the Western Rail Corridor, as well as healthy passenger numbers for its first year of operation, has been warmly welcomed by the West on Track campaign.
    Over 250,000 journeys have been made across the Limerick-Galway route, including the Limerick-Ennis and Athenry-Galway commuter services, since it opened on 30th March 2010, and Iarnród Éireann has expressed confidence that service changes now in place will continue to attract more customers to the route.
    Following a successful trial period the current online promotional fares of €10 each way on selected services between Limerick and Galway are to be extended until further notice

Iarnród Éireann has also said that new services introduced last month will give a boost to customers in the Galway area and along the Western Rail Corridor line from Galway to Limerick. New and changed services include:
    • A new Galway-Ennis evening commuter service departing Galway for Ennis at 18:30 and departing Ennis for Galway at 20:15 (the latter providing a new evening link from Limerick to Galway)
    • Additional Athenry/Galway services from Galway to Athenry at 08:40 and 16:30 and from Athenry to Galway at 09:00 and 17:00
    • Three services in each direction daily connecting directly from the Western Corridor to Galway/Dublin services. These include: A connection to 07:35hrs Galway - Heuston service at Athenry departing Gort at 07:14, Ardrahan at 07:24 and Craughwell at 07:33
    Two new stations are also to be added to the Galway-Limerick route: Iarnród Éireann has applied for planning permission for a new station in Crusheen in Co Clare, and permission has been received for Oranmore Station in Co Galway. Iarnród Éireann plans to have both stations open during the first half of 2012.
    A spokesman for West on Track said that the announcements by Iarnród Éireann were very welcome and that the success of the railway over its first year was a tribute to the hard work of many people in Iarnród Éireann who had achieved excellent results despite having to operate during the most serious economic downturn in our history.
    “We particularly welcome the news that a quarter of a million passengers have travelled on services on the Galway-Limerick route in its first year, availing of commuter and inter-city services. We are confident that the additional new and improved services and connections together with two new stations will lead to continued strong growth across the route leading to further expansion and development in the near future,” said the spokesman.

Additional Athenry/Galway services from Galway to Athenry at 08:40 and 16:30 and from Athenry to Galway at 09:00 and 17:00

So basically those services are of not use to anyone with a job or in education

what a farce

these figures have been throughly de-bunked in commuting and transport. The actual avaerage figure travelling is about 14 per train and this only cost 106 million to acheive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Neworder79

http://www.galwaynews.ie/19857-motorway-outer-bypass-and-rail-link-be-halted-new-cuts

Suggestions Tuam plan to be cut and possibly some WRC services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0610/1224298690086.html
    Western rail corridor passengers fall short of anticipated numbers

Irish Rail says the first phase of the western rail corridor has recorded “a credible performance” in spite of passenger numbers falling well short of the anticipated numbers, writes Gordon Deegan.

Figures released yesterday by Irish Rail for the route’s first 12 months show that 53,187 passengers travelled on the the new €106 million Ennis-Athenry service.

The numbers fall far short of the anticipated 100,000 in its business case for reopening the line. Irish Rail also said there were 252,607 rail passengers between Limerick and Galway.

Irish Rail corporate communications manager Barry Kenny said: “The business case obviously did not provide for the calamitous recession, which has impacted on demand for all transport due to reduced economic activity”.

This can be summed up by one word: Fail!

So its the fault of recession?

Yet again the goalposts have been moved. Why oh why does the state continue to defend this utter waste?

I know the answer, but its far too sensitive for here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

So its the fault of recession?

Yet again the goalposts have been moved. Why oh why does the state continue to defend this utter waste?

I know the answer, but its far too sensitive for here.

I think that Karl Marx once said that democracy was doomed as the Governments would used up the national treasury to buy elections and eventually bankrupt their country. The WRC is a classic example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I think that Karl Marx once said that democracy was doomed as the Governments would used up the national treasury to buy elections and eventually bankrupt their country. The WRC is a classic example of this.
    When you say as much as Marx and over a long enough time line something will be proven right.

It's the thousand monkeys at a thousand typewriters affect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

While I like the quote, according to this, Karl Marx didn't say it at all. Maybe you can find a reference?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

The 1630 ex Galway might be of use to people on early shifts in Galway (hospital maybe) for whom the later trains are too packed between Galway and Athenry? Schoolchildren going to Galway schools maybe?

The funny thing is that Athenry-Galway is doing quite well I understand, but why wouldn't it when it has frequencies some other lines would envy, it parallels the road route and much of it cleared for 80mph/128kmph when 22Ks are used? The problem begins when Limerick trains head south and people realise how much more direct the route by road is between Ardrahan and Galway (26km) vs rail (43km) and the speed drops to 50mph or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NITransport

Derry Journal article concerning WRC
    Although I would love to see what he suggests, happen, it won't for a very long time. Well done for laborously collecting 10,000 signatures though and "pressurising" Leo and Enda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Derry Journal article concerning WRC
    Although I would love to see what he suggests, happen, it won't for a very long time. Well done for laborously collecting 10,000 signatures though and "pressurising" Leo and Enda.

The issue here though surely is what route it would take from Sligo to Derry. It's kinda pie in the sky as there never existed a rail route from Sligo to Bundoran directly. Though there was a proposal during the 19th century.

Even if you leave aside that what route would you take? Try and use the old trackbed from the CDRjc Narrow gauge? I know parts of this have been built on especially around Donegal town. The other option would be to use the route of the railway from Sligo to Enniskillen and then GNR route from there to Derry.

Either way it all sounds like pie in the sky to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

dubhthach wrote: »
    Either way it all sounds like pie in the sky to me.
    completely pie in the sky

Barnesmore Gap is midway more or less on the road from sligo to Letterkenny/ Derry
    It has an AADT of a mere 6703 vehicles, 520 of them being HGV so only 6200 private motor vehicles.
    Thats 3100 vehicles each way including only a handful of busses.

And lest we forget that this area of the world has a massive car ownership and is renowned for their (often obscessive) love of the motor car.

Have these lads ever came out with a sketch of a business case (which at least the WRC lads have), or is it simply that car mad Donegal is looking a railway of all things in order to feel wanted?

Advertisement