Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New doctors office in charlesland

Options
  • 26-01-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

One of the present tenents in the charlesland shopping area was telling me that the old dry cleaners is to be taken over by a G.P. and converted into a surgery. I think this would be a great development and, I for one, will be using their services. Much as I like them in the greystones medical centre it would be a damn shame if the docs failed due to lack of patronage
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I understand there is medical centre use for the first floor unit above...the current use as retail would not permited Doctor's Surgery AFAIK and planning permission for a change of use would be required!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onefinemorning

I heard the same rumour over the weekend and it seems to be confirmed by a planning application notice on the window of the old Dry Cleaners

Think it's a great idea - will only enhance the Charlesland Centre

http://www.wicklow.ie/eplan41/FileRefDetails.aspx?file_number=102032&LASiteID=0

File is in pre-validation...I don't see why they need to use the retail unit when there is already a designated medical centre above. If granted I am thinking this is bad planning.

So what happens when the big medical centre does eventually open and put this little guy out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

conlof wrote: »
    One of the present tenents in the charlesland shopping area was telling me that the old dry cleaners is to be taken over by a G.P. and converted into a surgery. I think this would be a great development and, I for one, will be using their services. Much as I like them in the greystones medical centre it would be a damn shame if the docs failed due to lack of patronage

Wonder can we get him to open a bar aswell :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Wonder can we get him to open a bar aswell :D
    Then he could prescribe beer and we could all get it on DPS or medical card!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Then he could prescribe beer and we could all get it on DPS or medical card!

lol :)

I would welcome that development. Some in this area believe they have a monopoly and have no phone or people manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭wicklowdub

astrofluff wrote: »
    So what happens when the big medical centre does eventually open and put this little guy out of business.

You'd presume that no other similar venture would be allowed to open as part of a lease agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

The lift for the medical centre is too narrow to allow wheelchairs, thence the empty unit

conlof wrote: »
    The lift for the medical centre is too narrow to allow wheelchairs, thence the empty unit

I wouldn't believe that for one minute...I don't think any architect/designer would miss a trick and not comply with Part M of the Building Regulations.

Anyway...where is this lift? is it even installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Not being a fly in the ointment, quite possibly a medical centre will open and being the typical "screw you" country we have become, will charge €65 a pop and wonder why they have gone under in 6 months time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭conlof

I don't think any architect/designer would miss a trick and not comply with Part M of the Building Regulations

In any other country i'd agree, but here i can't say i'm surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Not being a fly in the ointment, quite possibly a medical centre will open and being the typical "screw you" country we have become, will charge €65 a pop and wonder why they have gone under in 6 months time!

I am a qualified diagnostician (sic). I can quite easily see that everyone here is sick.....sick of the lack of public hostelry in Charlesland.

For that reason, and as an introductory offer, I'm prescribing EVERYONE licence to go out and drown their sorrows this weekend.
    I won't be charging for the pleasure of diagnosing your problem on this occasion, but further consultation will require the need for formalised billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I am a qualified diagnostician (sic). I can quite easily see that everyone here is sick.....sick of the lack of public hostelry in Charlesland.

For that reason, and as an introductory offer, I'm prescribing EVERYONE licence to go out and drown their sorrows this weekend.
    I won't be charging for the pleasure of diagnosing your problem on this occasion, but further consultation will require the need for formalised billing.

Ahh Father Jack and Georgie Best's doc is in the house!

I see this has been granted....three conditions, one of which says :

Details of advertising signs shall be submitted to the Planning Authority for its agreement within one month of the date of this permission.

Not too sure why they only allow a month...anyone any ideas as to why such a time period is specified ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Will be interesting to see if it takes off, you'd imagine there's always demand for a doctor nearby but we'll see. Out of interest does anyone know how well the pharmacy is doing? It always seems really quiet!

Anybody know who the doctors are??

Word is that they are two local docs

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

A doc would be great, I rang a surgery in the town as I need to get blood tests done and the best apnt they could give me was 10 days later - Wouldnt wanna be sick eh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Blood Tests arent a medical emergency are they?

With Greystones Surgery and always get an appointment within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Blood Tests arent a medical emergency are they?

Not really a nice comment to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

No offense intended, just pointing out that Blood Tests in most cases wouldn't be an emergency so the Doctor's will prioritise for urgent cases.

• Advertisement

So looks like progress is being made.

Was passing by and saw the builders in there.

Also the website www.charleslandmedicalcentre.ie is active

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

Dr O'Dwyer is lovely, I've been to see her a few times at the surgery down near the harbour. Hope it goes well for her

Just checked the prices on the link...cheaper than all others around at €50 per consultation. Perhaps will give the other surgeries a kick in the back side on price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Competition can't do any harm anyway. I'd be surprised if many people switch though, people are surprisingly loyal if they have a good GP, even it they're more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

chocgirl wrote: »
    people are surprisingly loyal if they have a good GP, even it they're more expensive.

its not that surprising - your relationship with your GP is a highly personal thing, its not worth switching for the sake of €5 per visit.

The problem with GP prices is nationwide - they're all too expensive, €50 is still a ridiculous price.

Well I think it can only be a bonus having doctors nearby, according to the website they have early morning and evening appointments which are often hard to get with my own doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ruthie Ruth

anybody have email address for the new doc or even know the name??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

@Ruth If you look further up this thread you will see their website address. All the info should be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pipasawrus

Hope it goes well for both Doctors, they deserve every success. Have been fortunate enough to have had treatment from both of them, and they have always been first class. Would recommend them to anybody.
    Good Luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Hope that the patients park within the shopping centre car park and not outside our house like people do when they are going to Superquinn. Us in the first row of the Grove get a lot of random parkers!

Advertisement