Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Questions

Options
  • 25-01-2010 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭

Well i'm finally after re watching all the seasons in the past 6 months and have a few questions.. so just decicded to make this for anyone else who had a question before season 6 starts.

1. How did Charlie end up with the tailies when he was at the front of the plane?
    I assume it was just an error

2. When Juliet meets Richard and Ethan in Ann Harbor (sp?) before going to the island, is this where Dharma HQ was or is it their own?

3. How does Faraday know what Chang will do and when the incident is?

These are the only ones i can think of but feel free to add more...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

tok9 wrote: »
    1. How did Charlie end up with the tailies when he was at the front of the plane?
    When did Charlie end up with the tailies? The tailies were Anna Lucille's party. He was in the front of the plane because he had gone to the toilets at the front to get high, and thats why he ended up on the beach with everyone else.
    2. When Juliet meets Richard and Ethan in Ann Harbor (sp?) before going to the island, is this where Dharma HQ was or is it their own?
    I'm pretty sure this was just one of the many fronts that Dharma had for recruiting purposes. They had many such places, such as the Science Camp that Locke was invited to go to when he was in high school.
    Faraday knows cause....well, he's Faraday :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Kiith wrote: »
    When did Charlie end up with the tailies? The tailies were Anna Lucille's party. He was in the front of the plane because he had gone to the toilets at the front to get high, and thats why he ended up on the beach with everyone else.
    Yeah, he ran to the front of the plane and hid his stash in the bathroom. But after he came out he crawled to the nearest seat in the first row. The plane was split into 3 parts - nose, fuselage and tail. So he should have been in the nose section (and dead) when the plane was torn apart. Instead he was on the beach with the fuselage survivors. It's a continuity error.

However, one could do a bit of "fanwanking" and say that there was a jump cut or that his seat became detached and was thrown into the fuselage section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

So he should have been in the nose section (and dead) when the plane was torn apart. Instead he was on the beach with the fuselage survivors. It's a continuity error.

However, one could do a bit of "fanwanking" and say that there was a jump cut or that his seat became detached and was thrown into the fuselage section.

Could we not assume at this stage that the important characters were "lifted" from the plane to a safe spot on the island in much the same way the losties woke up in the jungle during flight 815? Why else was Jack in the middle of the jungle? In fact how would any of them have even survived the crash?
    Did we ever see any of them still on the plane after the crash or were they all thrown clear?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It is possible something like that happened I suppose. We've never seen the actual moment of the fuselage crashing. But it certainly didn't happen in the case of the tail section or its survivors.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

RE: Q2

Wasn't Juliet recruited by Ben after the purge? (meaning the only time she worked for the DI was in the mid-70's).

This is a bit of a distant memory, so I could be mistaken...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

RE: Q2

Wasn't Juliet recruited by Ben after the purge? (meaning the only time she worked for the DI was in the mid-70's).

This is a bit of a distant memory, so I could be mistaken...

You're right. The company must be a front for the Others. It could I suppose have previously been a front for Dharma.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Ah.. thats a pretty perfect answer for question 2..

ya sorry got that wrong about Charlie but he was at the front.

Anyone got any theory on Faraday? How would he have known the exact times and who would do what?

Anyone got any theory on Faraday? How would he have known the exact times and who would do what?
    I assume he got all his information about the island and Dharma from Widmore, who must have briefed the Frieghties before sending them to the island. Even Keamy had access to Dharma files and knew about the Orchid station. Dharma would have kept records about what happened in '77 which the Others would have gained access to after the Purge.

ya was half thinking about that... but surely it would have explained the bit about a hydrogen bomb in it, no?

• Advertisement

ya was half thinking about that... but surely it would have explained the bit about a hydrogen bomb in it, no?
    Not if it didn't explode. The Incident was definitely NOT the explosion of a hydrogen bomb, it was the release of electromagnetism. If Faraday's theory was correct then exploding the bomb would have wiped out that energy - so no Incident. Meaning the bomb cannot have exploded in the original timeline. The Losties probably still caused the Incident by trying to set off the bomb though.

Or perhaps the bomb did go off but didn't explode in the traditional sense. Remember what Kelvin told Desmond about the fail-safe? It was a fall back in case the button ever failed - he implied it was a bomb. I reckon Faraday's plan in 1977 was a cruder version of the Swan's failsafe. However neither may have worked as planned.

Hmmm maybe the bomb didn't blow up so.. i assumed the fail safe was something to do with the bomb alrite.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I got a few questions.

I'm re-watching Season 4 at the moment. Remember in EP1 of Season 4, when near the end there's the Flash Forward to Hurley and Jack playing basketball in Hurley's hospital, and Hurley said he was sorry that he went with Jack - what was that all about? I remember discussion at the time ondering what big event would happen that would make Hurley sorry. Maybe my memory is off, but I can't really remember anything significant that would have been different if Hurley hadn't gone with Locke.

Also, why did the freighter people send the scientists to the island first, instead of the mercenaries that got there later.

And why did Naomi have the picture of Des and Penny? Okay, Widmore was her boss, but does that actually explain the picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Narcissus

quickbeam wrote: »
    I got a few questions.

I'm re-watching Season 4 at the moment. Remember in EP1 of Season 4, when near the end there's the Flash Forward to Hurley and Jack playing basketball in Hurley's hospital, and Hurley said he was sorry that he went with Jack - what was that all about? I remember discussion at the time ondering what big event would happen that would make Hurley sorry. Maybe my memory is off, but I can't really remember anything significant that would have been different if Hurley hadn't gone with Locke.

My memory is a bit hazy but was it because he was having visions/going crazy?
    Also, why did the freighter people send the scientists to the island first, instead of the mercenaries that got there later.

I presume they believed Ben would be hard to find and needed Faraday as he is a physicist, Miles for talking to the dead people on the island, Charlotte as she is an anthropologist, instead of mercenaries who might not know how to find Ben as easily.
    And why did Naomi have the picture of Des and Penny? Okay, Widmore was her boss, but does that actually explain the picture?

Widmore probably knew Desmond was on the island and wanted to use Desmond to get to Ben.

I have a question which I've been thinking about.

When we first see Ben meeting Richard (Man Behind the Curtain, 1973) he has really long hair and stubble. However a few years later when Ben is brought to the hostiles(1977) Richard is clean shaven and has short hair and clean clothes.

Also come to think of it, when Locke and co travel to 1954 Richard has short hair as well.

Is this going to be explained do you think? Do the others just go all primitive whenever they need to?

quickbeam wrote: »
    Hurley was sorry he went with Locke instead of Jack because of what happened at Otherville. Locke said "come with me if you want to live" in 4x01. But most of the people who went with him got killed (Alex, Karl, Rousseau, all the redshirts, etc) or disappeared (Claire). Locke was a terrible leader. Hurley was right to be sorry.
    When we first see Ben meeting Richard (Man Behind the Curtain, 1973) he has really long hair and stubble. However a few years later when Ben is brought to the hostiles(1977) Richard is clean shaven and has short hair and clean clothes.

Also come to think of it, when Locke and co travel to 1954 Richard has short hair as well.

Is this going to be explained do you think? Do the others just go all primitive whenever they need to?
    I've no answer for the disguises. I'm sure they will be explained though. I assume Richard's long hair was part of the hill-billy look.

Couple of questions from me, some of which we might know, some of which not so much...

1. Was Ben coming back to the Island after turning the wheel the loophole that Jacob talked about?

2. I'm only half way through season 5 on my re-watch, so this may be answered, but did we find out what Kate did with Aaron? And what about Sun's daughter?

3. Do you think we'll see Locke? As in proper Locke, and not un-locke/locknessmonster? Ben's 'once you die, you die' makes me think we wont, but i really hope we do.

4. If it was Jacob's nemesis that was appearing to people all along, does that mean that Locke wasnt in any way special, but that he was just being used to get Ben to leave then return and kill Jacob?

Couple of questions from me, some of which we might know, some of which not so much...

1. Was Ben coming back to the Island after turning the wheel the loophole that Jacob talked about?

I assume the loophole was the man in black (Flocke) taking over the role as leader of the others and convincing someone to kill Jacob. Something like that, maybe someone can explain it better.
    2. I'm only half way through season 5 on my re-watch, so this may be answered, but did we find out what Kate did with Aaron? And what about Sun's daughter?

We do.
    Kate leaves Aaron with Claires mother and Ji Yeon is with Sun's mother or her maid.
    3. Do you think we'll see Locke? As in proper Locke, and not un-locke/locknessmonster? Ben's 'once you die, you die' makes me think we wont, but i really hope we do.
    i hope so in some sense, even if it is just to see him fight back somehow. Its unlikely though
    4. If it was Jacob's nemesis that was appearing to people all along, does that mean that Locke wasnt in any way special, but that he was just being used to get Ben to leave then return and kill Jacob?

Ya all the visions might have been Man in black. And this is exactly what he would have wanted Locke to do. Some people theorize that he wanted eko at first which i like.

My last answer is pure speculation really

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I can't remember exactly what happened and when, but if I have things in the right order, didn't Faraday's mother start keeping a journal which she gave to him and it told him all this stuff, despite knowing it would lead him back in time to die in front of her?

stevenmu wrote: »
    I can't remember exactly what happened and when, but if I have things in the right order, didn't Faraday's mother start keeping a journal which she gave to him and it told him all this stuff, despite knowing it would lead him back in time to die in front of her?

I thought the journal was blank when Eloise bought the journal for him after he graduated.

The one we see in 1977 is the same one with all the info in it but he wrote that himself. Once he died jack and Sayid took it. I'm not sure what they did with it after they got the H bomb

Well, after watching The Life and Death of Jeremy Bentham last night, I really hope we get to see Locke again in season 6. Its very sad watching that knowing what happens in The Incident. Seeing Locke so broken was tough :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I've no answer for the disguises. I'm sure they will be explained though. I assume Richard's long hair was part of the hill-billy look.

Doubtful, unless they randomly decide to throw it in a subplot. Cuse and Lindelof joked about Alpert's style changes during the S4 finale commentary I believe. They pawned it off as pretty insignificant and just one of those things.

Tom also dressed up as a ragged pirate when they took Walt off the raft. Didnt they just do this to make any non-others think that they were slightly less organised/civilised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Is JJ Abrams still involved with lost as such. know he is credited as executive producer but has he any input at this stage. Didnt think of his star trek movie btw.

Is JJ Abrams still involved with lost as such. know he is credited as executive producer but has he any input at this stage. Didnt think of his star trek movie btw.

No i don't think so.. last i heard was he directed the season 3 opener. "A tale of 2 cities" i think it was called. Carlton has pretty much taken over his role

Yes reminds me of David Lynch with Twin Peaks. He was there for first series and then left. Came back to direct the last episode if Im right

Tbh it's debatable how involved Abrams ever was beyond the pilot. Cuse was brought on in 1x09. And even before that there was a period during which Lindelof said he considered quitting because he couldn't manage the show by himself.

So beyond reading scripts and maybe helping to break a few episodes, I don't think Abrams was ever actually in charge of the show once it got picked up. I think it was just convenient for ABC to paint him as the mastermind behind the show.

It's hard to know though. Everyone is very coy about when exactly Abrams left, which leads me to believe that he was never really there to being with. But obviously he laid the groundwork for the series as whole in the pilot.

Must surely hold some sort of record given the amount of characters in it. phenomenal amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

I have a question here, did we see the pilot of the plane in the ALT timeline?Could lapidus being flying it?If i remember correctly he was originaly meant to pilot flight 815.

cos!! wrote: »
    I have a question here, did we see the pilot of the plane in the ALT timeline?Could lapidus being flying it?If i remember correctly he was originaly meant to pilot flight 815.

The pilot in the ALT was also Seth Norris so it didn't change that. He announces that they are about to land in LAX... we just don't see him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I suppose I'd like an answer to the very first question posed by the series - why aren't they all dead?

Their plane breaks up in mid-air and they all crash to earth and survive without any major injuries bar a few photogenic scratches. Wtf?

Advertisement