Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no Name And Shame?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Leftyflip wrote: »
    We could equally call it trolling...

You misspelled Irony lad.
    will we take it your are making a point

The best points are simply made, nei?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

I don't think it is that hard to set up a name and shame system.
    As an example;
    In motorsport , the hosting club appoints a few "judges of fact"They watch for cheeting and their word is final with no appeal. You agree to this when you sign your entry form.
    The same could be written into every waiver form also agreeing to be named and shamed if so deemed by a judge of fact (marshell)

se conman wrote: »
    The same could be written into every waiver form also agreeing to be named and shamed if so deemed by a judge of fact (marshell)

You can't sign away your legal rights. The waiver wouldn't stand up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

How many times need people be told.

Legally this is defamation, if it is printed it is libel, I could be cheaty mc cheaterson but when I sue you, I guarantee I'd win against your unprovable accusation.

There is no waiver for this, where did that sh1te come from? There is no way around the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Brabazone

Boston wrote: »
    You can't sign away your legal rights. The waiver wouldn't stand up.

would it not be along the lines of a credit agreement with a bank. If you fail to make payments on a loan will a bank not put you on some kind of defaulters list. And will they not use this to determine your eligibility for loans in the future.

I am not saying we should have a public name and shame system. BTW, I thought in the beginning that wouldn't have been a bad idea but after reading some of the comments that the more informed posters submitted I have now change my mind on that one. I think that a system just for the site owners is something that could be looked at. A system that only allowed for marshals to submit information on teams that cheat. I'm not saying I am right, I'm sure someone will post here stating why that cant be done. However, if noting is done the sport will go down the toilet with all the cheaters and all we will be left with is a cupboard full a Airsoft gear and no where to use it.

I think cheaters must be made to fear the consequences of there actions or they will just keep on doing it.

• Advertisement

Brabazone wrote: »
    would it not be along the lines of a credit agreement with a bank. If you fail to make payments on a loan will a bank not put you on some kind of defaulters list. And will they not use this to determine your eligibility for loans in the future.

Interesting thing about libel and slander is that legally speaking even if the accusation is true, if you're deemed to no be in a position to prove it, you'll be found guilty. Banks can prove poor credit history. This nonsense cannot be proven.

Your right it cant be proven, there is only the marshal to say that an individual is cheating or not. But the issue I have with that is you can pick any sport where there is a referee and there decision is final. Why is the difference between this and site owners and their officials? BTW, i'm only asking the question, I not arguing the point, I'm just curious to know what differentiates airsoft form other sports with this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

I for one think site owners/operators should be able to post a list of people they have had to deal with over the weekend.
    If mr x who runs site x said he has had to sin bin mr y and z from team a for cheating or he has denied entry to 4 players from team f for having aeg's shooting hot, then that is a public service to the community as a whole and if he only reports the truth( that he did infract players) then surly that can't be libel?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

I voted no.... Why?

Firstly, This will be abused. Look at the papers when they do this... even if its proven false, "There's no smoke without fire" Springs up.

Secondly, Airsoft is not about this... There isnt that much cheating tbh... and with such a system, should someone accidentally not take hits... thier reputation is screwed for life...

Third... a case I'll present here. Take this as you will.

I was banned from using 500fps sniper rifles at a site. People reported me for taking under minimum engagement range headshots.

I can tell you, on one hand, the number of headshots ive made in 6 years as an airsoft sniper. Three. And I appologised to all 3 players, directly after, or later. I dont like doing it.

The head marshal said he saw me once aproach, and sight a corner of a building, under range. Then by his own admission. BACK UP, to the correct range.

'ah but you must have seen him'.

It boiled down to the fact that a lot of the oldschool players at that site didnt apreciate being out shot, and out fought by a female... they felt emasculated.

Oddly, i left that site, and never returned out of disgust. I had been a regular player for 3 years... and trusted, and known personally to the owner. But reports are reports. Funnily enough no other site has ever had a single complaint... I've played at over twenty in my time.

Fair use of the system similar to this... or a weaker form. But see how open to abuse that is?

repeatedly report someone till they get 'blacklisted'... it works... people will see that, and abuse it in this idea. It can lead to plain and simple bulling.

I know some of you will read this and think "ah well shes making excuses/whining/trying to blame others for her evil ways.... what a bad player...."

My point exactly. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

if noting is done the sport will go down the toilet with all the cheaters and all we will be left with is a cupboard full a Airsoft gear and no where to use it.

I disagree, and also voted No, for various reasons which have already been mentioned, but also because I've been to around 100 skirmishes, and I'm really enjoying the sport/hobby, and I have been since the day I started, I have not come across the rampant cheating which is inferred quite a bit in threads such as this, and I hope I never will. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

I enjoy airsoft as it is, and have so far, I don't want Big Brother watching over me when I play, and therefore would not enforce such on anyone else, and I think threads such as these do nothing in reality to help the apparent problem, or airsoft as a whole. Nor do "Is our sport really full of Morons" threads, and I have often found an underlying elitism within such threads, but that's a topic for another day.
    I think cheaters must be made to fear the consequences of there actions or they will just keep on doing it.

With all the quasi hate-mongering that goes in with regards to cheaters, I'm surprised such a fear has not already been instilled.

Also remember we each have a responsibility as an airsofter to our sport, and we should bear that in mind when posting, especially since this forum is a central point for people new to airsoft in Ireland who want to learn more. We do not want them to be presented with such negatives before they've even had a chance to form their own opinion.

I also took out the poster's name of the quotes above, as I was using them more as examples of a possible shared consensus of viewpoints, and did not want anything I said to seem to be intended towards that individual poster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭J.D.R

Right, so in an ideal society, this would work, where everyone in honest nd upfront, but also if this was an ideal society, we would not need such a system.

Since we do not live in said society, this would be open to law suits and blackmail.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Serious work was put into this last year by the IAA to support site operators that wanted to introduce it without being sued off the face of the planet, it went no were due to lack of support.

I said it last time this was talked about. The Justice system holds tree things in Law above all else, Live, Liberty and the right to your good name, you need a smoking gun to take any of them away.

If site operators catch people cheating on ther site, BAN THEM, if this happened they would run out of places to play very fast, but sadly it dose not happen in all sites and the cheaters are let run free because they are the "home team" or a well known group. Sites do not need the business of cheaters because other players will quickly stop going their. I know 3 sites that enforce strict zero tolerance on repeat cheaters these sites have more than enough business.

We don't need a list, and it is totally unworkable legally, we need all site owners to stand up to cheaters and not wait for someone to solve the problem for them. (Sorry for the general statement, its for the exception not the rule in site operators)

thermo wrote: »
    I for one think site owners/operators should be able to post a list of people they have had to deal with over the weekend.
    If mr x who runs site x said he has had to sin bin mr y and z from team a for cheating or he has denied entry to 4 players from team f for having aeg's shooting hot, then that is a public service to the community as a whole and if he only reports the truth( that he did infract players) then surly that can't be libel?????

Boston put me straight on this one, He is right when he says that someone, ie marshal cannot say a player or team was cheating and publish that information in some kind of public media. The reason he cant do that is because it is his word against another person or persons. If they took him to courts he would be found guilty on the fact that it is his word against theirs and that someone's word alone does not constitute fact. The alleged offenders do not have to prove anything where as the marshal has to have actual physical prof to prove his case.

But, in saying all that I still personally cannot understand what the difference between a ref in a football match and a marshal at a skirmish site. I ask that as a question because a ref can red card you and you have to take your punishment but if a marshal witness a player cheating he doesn't share the same rights. By that I mean the information cannot be shared with other sites in the same way a footballer could have a ban imposed for a couple of games. Or maybe he does have the same rights and I'm just missing something here, If that is the case will someone explain what I'm missing?.

fayer wrote: »
    If site operators catch people cheating on ther site, BAN THEM,

Oh.... we already have that... score.

Next topic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭JonnyTwoCombs

I also voted NO...

I have often been in the postion of 'hey this f#cker isn't calling his hit'.

I'll give you an example... my 'target' would have been just on the range limit of my AEG. I give him a quick burst, and there is no call. So I give it another burst, and still no call. I'm getting a bit annoyed now, so I give it another burst!

Still no call!!! Now I could start thinking CHEATING B######!

But I move a bit closer, give another.... and what do you know. The person calls out the hit.

Was this person cheating, NO! They were just out of range, which is just one of the things that effects us all because we are limited to 1J, there are also wind and other environmental aspects that affect the performance and accuracy of our equipment.

I wonder how many others would give a fellow player the benefit of the doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Vents

I would agree with Johnny whole heartedly. It is quite amazine how ofeten you miss a "target" when playing out side.

Point in case; I was a marshal at the weekend and was 3 meters away from a player under extream fire. He was up against the wall of a base and was taking fire from a covered position who had overwatch on him from 8 meters away. BB's flying all around him, hiting twigs and wall but not him. NOT ONE. I watched every richoche and not one hit him. I was amazed. I, as anyone would have thought, he was hit for sure, but no. everyone was a miss.

There are so many issues with a flying BB that honesty is the only policy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭thebillynator

well sometime the player might genuinely not notice or it may hit loose clothing for example if they are running ,hits clothes player might genuinely not notice and i dont mind but if it hits them and you see them flinch and do not raise the hand that annoys me

But I move a bit closer, give another.... and what do you know. The person calls out the hit..

As a Marshal... I see that far too often....

'Hey marshal my gun must be hitting him.. (its mine, its awesome etc) he therefore must be cheating!'

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

As much as i like the thought of "name and shame" but agree with everyone that says it is next to impossible to prove that someone is actualy cheating which will more than likely result in a huge arguement over what "actualy" happened!
    It's a bad idea but if its as big of a situation as we all might have encountered we do not need to name names as we all know already.
    Best way i believe is to inform the marshall and let them keep a extra on them and hopefully they can sort it out before it can get any worse.
    I think all marshalls should have som kind of meeting in relation to "rules" "punishment" and "what to look out for"!
    I'm just say...
    xXx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement