Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD brief

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

Ell69 wrote: »
    Know what you're saying Sligo. I think I'll just leave my first one alone with the white background for now :confused:
    We can always go back to them again. I'm thinking of my tutor in the portfolio course, lol! he hates things to be left with a white background, but then I've argued with him that that's his preference, doesn't make it right. Maybe thats the trick,? to relax with this whole brief, sure aren't we always told there's no right way or wrong way in the creative process!! :D

yeah i think i'll leave mine white for now. i think maybe if i put too much colours on the page you would see nothing! im sure it is probably just his preference! yeah i think we should relax with it....i think that's why i didn't start the brief until last week!!....i thought i might do something wrong:p i have to keep at it now anyways, i'm looking forward to getting onto the observation part:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I think you should just do what feels right to you and what you want to display and how. I don't think theres a clear out "right" way to do these mind maps from what i've seen of other peoples portfolio. You'll be happier with your work in the end, if it makes sense and you like your own work you'll be more confident tackling everything else.

The mind maps are about ideas and how you think and to a extent how you can display that, whether or not you do a colour wash in the background of a white sheet shouldn't really affect it as far as I think (or hope). I'd guess it matters more how much thought went into it. If you want to make things a bit more interesting, consider materials and ways to display your work. have a look at some graphic work and paper crafts. I personally think its nice to approach each one differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Thanks spinandscribble, great advise as usual.

Just wondering would it be acceptable to make a mind map entirely of photographs,taken myself of course. Photography is a fine art after all.!!:rolleyes:
    lol! just come in from working on it now, and its 12.45am, dedicated or what?, us art students eh!, takes us forever to get going then we can't stop !! Think I've the first mind map just done, can't seem to take it any further, so think I'll leave it and start the next one tomorow.. yaawn!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

Thanks spinandscribble, great advise as usual.

Just wondering would it be acceptable to make a mind map entirely of photographs,taken myself of course. Photography is a fine art after all.!!:rolleyes:
    lol! just come in from working on it now, and its 12.45am, dedicated or what?, us art students eh!, takes us forever to get going then we can't stop !! Think I've the first mind map just done, can't seem to take it any further, so think I'll leave it and start the next one tomorow.. yaawn!!!

Why not ? See this is what I was going on about, the visual aspect of it. If you put a mind map made up of text and this mind map of photos side by side which would have more sex appeal !

Yes you can have photographs, think about ways to work with them, maybe put ur text map on acetat over it or tracing paper, cut parts out finish in drawing paint, text.

You really can do whatever you want. You can think of styles for the mind maps to help, i choose victorian for mechanism, gave me something to focus on.

• Advertisement

:)okay so i've started a sketchbook, just a small A5 one to get me going! and im just putting in random drawings, nothing related to the brief. i assume you can do this?? as long as you actually have other sketchbooks relating to the brief?

yeah thats fine, don't get too hung up on having separate books for this and that, sketchbooks are literally flicked through at a glance at portfolio viewings and they'll see from flicking how much work went into it.

I honestly think one sketchbook (a4) and one small one (a5) at a time. You're more likely to be able to lug them around then say one a4 for this and one a4 for that ect. mainly i used my a5 for quick ideas, had it near me as i was working or on a bus ect. the a4 was nearby for more constructed things. Also don't get in the habit of leaving a bunch of printing/cutting ect until the end, keep some pritstick in your bag, the amount of little crumbled pieces of paper/photos lying around nearly drove me insane at times.

If by random you mean drawing your mom, the lamp, the reflection in the puddle thats all grand but be careful of things straight from your head to start with (imagined landscapes, psychedelic stuff, unicorns ect). generally the rule of thumb is you start from the physical and work it up until its conceptual if you like, giving you a strong foundation to work from and show skills. this gets easier with time but theres still plenty of room for the random.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 narnia51697

BostonB wrote: »
    I have no idea what the formal requirement are these days in NCAD. But when I was there, (Ind Design) most people wrote all over their sketch books. They wanted to see the journey in your head. You might even show movement arrows to see how something flowed. Reading some of the comments here against text. Perhaps some lecturers/examiners in the other departments don't like this, wanting it all through drawing.

I fully agree with this. What use is a skillfully drawn mindmap that has no interesting ideas? The mindmap portion of the portfolio is to illustrate the way your mind works and if that's in text that's ok. A huge portion of the Vis Com course, for example, involves the study of text, as does many fine artists' practices. The key with the mindmaps is IDEAS.

If by random you mean drawing your mom, the lamp, the reflection in the puddle thats all grand but be careful of things straight from your head to start with (imagined landscapes, psychedelic stuff, unicorns ect). generally the rule of thumb is you start from the physical and work it up until its conceptual if you like, giving you a strong foundation to work from and show skills. this gets easier with time but theres still plenty of room for the random.

yup indeed, i have drawings of the bin in my bedroom, the ponies in the field, my sister's car, drawings of my eye...so it's all physical things. i like to start with the physical things anyways:) sorry i meant to give an example of what i meant by "random"!:P

I've just completed 'my Place' mind map done entirely in found images from magazines, internet, old photos. Any text I used i cut it out too from magazines etc. While it looks good, I'm wondering will it be looked upon as a childish idea? my 'Enclosures' one I drew every single one.
    Isn't it how we use our items picked from these mind maps that we are going to be marked on?:confused:

• Advertisement

I've just completed 'my Place' mind map done entirely in found images from magazines, internet, old photos. Any text I used i cut it out too from magazines etc. While it looks good, I'm wondering will it be looked upon as a childish idea? my 'Enclosures' one I drew every single one.
    Isn't it how we use our items picked from these mind maps that we are going to be marked on?:confused:
    that's the one i'm dreading:P i'm sure what your saying is fine, it will distinguish your mindmaps if you like to call it that. they will probably be looking for the ideas that we're coming up with anyways, whatever about drawings and pictures. i think you mentioned in a previous post that you started a sketchbook a while back? how's it going for you?:) i started one...yay!

I think its really doubtful its seen as childish since the marjory of people i know did something similar from clippings (alot of them got in). they can look incredible, theses collages, if you're careful, its all about being selective and thoughtful in your arrangement, that in itself can show skill and a eye. I really think at the end of the day the most important thing is to appear, with the mind maps, you're literally popping with ideas and its up to you to do what you feel is right to show that. the later sections will show how you can condense your ideas.

Edit: oh whether the mind maps are marked or not, either way its better to give them a good go as it'll only go in your favor.

oh whether the mind maps are marked or not, either way its better to give them a good go as it'll only go in your favor.
    i agree, it will be the 1st few pages they see aswell i suppose. and we will be referring back to these pages anyways so it's aswell to do them good:)

they can look incredible, theses collages, if you're careful, its all about being selective and thoughtful in your arrangement, that in itself can show skill and a eye..
    Yeah personally I enjoy collage, also enjoyed printing when we dabbled in it for a bit on my portfolio course. Thinking of maybe bringing in a lino cut somewhere.. ;)
    Am starting to relax a little with these mind maps, now that I'
    ve two done, feel I'm moving along somewhat'
    looking forward to the next section.
    Also regarding sketchbooks, sure mine one A4 size so far are mainly written and a few drawings for the mind map section. I'll have a lot more to show for development of ideas for the rest of the brief. As I said I'm starting to relaxing a little its the first four pages of 20 after all, and the basis of our whole portfolio brief will of just a few items from these maps.

Yeah personally I enjoy collage, also enjoyed printing when we dabbled in it for a bit on my portfolio course. Thinking of maybe bringing in a lino cut somewhere.. ;)
    Am starting to relax a little with these mind maps, now that I've two done, feel I'm moving along somewhat'
    looking forward to the next section.

Also regarding sketchbooks, sure mine one A4 size so far are mainly written and a few drawings for the mind map section. I'll have a lot more to show for development of ideas for the rest of the brief. As I said I'm starting to relaxing a little its the first four pages of 20 after all, and the basis of our whole portfolio brief will of just a few items from these maps.
    i've never done lino printing before but my teacher told me it's quite easy so i'll dabble with it a bit in september and probably stick in a few prints somewhere...it's something different anyways:) i'm looking forward to the next section too, observation is a strong point of mine!

woohoo! pop open the champagne:D,well maybe not just yet,..
    but guess what I'm finished my mind maps,....
    Ok its only the first section, but I'm happy :P
    Hows everyone doing with theirs ??

woohoo! pop open the champagne:D,well maybe not just yet,..
    but guess what I'm finished my mind maps,....
    Ok its only the first section, but I'm happy :P
    Hows everyone doing with theirs ??

i wish i was that far with mine! i've fully done two mind maps and i'm halfway on the 3rd. my granny is really sick in hospital so i'm getting NOWHERE:( i already feel like i'll never get it done! can't wait to get to observation....:(

Ok am scribbling and writing down ideas for the next two sheets.After the mind maps.
    One of my items I'm thinking of using is plain and simple a bunch of flowers, thinking of letting these develop from buds...right on until they wither. Observing each stage. Not very contemporary i know, but am wondering how it would be viewed by interviewers..??
    I love photographic likeness in my work, and am thinking that I should get off on the right foot by displaying my ability in this area..
    Oh Lordy this is scary !!
    I know I can do it, but how to show 'them' that I can and yet still be myself.
    I dont want to get stuck in a rut for the next few years and just do what I think they want to see and not what I'm good at, if you know what I mean!!:confused:

Can anyone tell me on the next section it keeps saying, ''choose an item from you mind map''. I take it this means from each section we can choose different 'items'. We don't have to stick to the same two 'items' we chose for section A excercise 2?
    Can someone just clarify that for me.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RuehlTheWorld

I'm waiting to find out if I got into a portfolio preparation course. I should know in about three weeks.

Is that going to be too late to start the brief?

I'm waiting to find out if I got into a portfolio preparation course. I should know in about three weeks.

Is that going to be too late to start the brief?

Not at all. If your course is anything like mine you won't even purposely touch the brief until christmas time. We didn't until after the break and most of us got in.
    You'll be able to adapt all the work you're been doing since sept to fit in the brief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Xenzo

Hey does anyone know when NCAD start sending info out to you about registration, fees and booklists etc??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 EMILY.C

how are all your objects meant to link together??

Advertisement