Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCAD brief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

Ell69 wrote: »
    OMG lads :(. I really have to get cracking. I only have written mind maps done, , was hoping to get most of this done this Summer, and have to go back to do Level 6 Advanced Art in September, so most of my time will be taken up with course work, Realistically I'd say I'd want to have porfolio ready by December! wouldn't you say:(?
    It so difficult, I want to go back as a mature student , but have four kids, and find the time at home hard to dedicate to artwork especially now they're finished scholl for the Summer.
    Time in college is easier because I will be getting kids minded etc, but so hard to work on this portfolio at home, any tips. Any other maturies out there that have children and are working on the brief?:eek:

hi again! deep breath needed here....i would say do not worry whatsoever!!:) as i read further down your messege there i saw what situation you're in with the children etc. so it will be harder for you than the likes of me, because i'm only 16! i havn't started the brief yet either and i had great intentions also:p your actually ahead of me, because about a month ago i wrote out ONE of my mind maps and thats it...i think you have them all done?!:)....we will get there yet!! and next year obviously i will have NO time for the brief because i have the LC and all, so were in the same boat...i'm sure there is others too??!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Ell69

Aah thanks Sligo, nice words of encouragement there :) Keep us posted as to how your brief is coming along .
    happy sketching. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

OMG lads :(. I really have to get cracking. I only have written mind maps done, , was hoping to get most of this done this Summer, and have to go back to do Level 6 Advanced Art in September, so most of my time will be taken up with course work, Realistically I'd say I'd want to have porfolio ready by December! wouldn't you say:(?
    It so difficult, I want to go back as a mature student , but have four kids, and find the time at home hard to dedicate to artwork especially now they're finished scholl for the Summer.
    Time in college is easier because I will be getting kids minded etc, but so hard to work on this portfolio at home, any tips. Any other maturies out there that have children and are working on the brief?:eek:

honestly you have nothing to worry about. In my plc, both the level 5 and level 6 didn't even start the ncad brief until AFTER christmas. most people got in, ten i think, the rest on waiting list. some of our work from earlier in the year we blended into the brief i must admit. I started the same time as others specifically on brief, mid jan and I got 950 in the brief. It seems as the more your brief ties in well together as a whole the better you get on but thats just a thought of mine.
    Of course with four kids you've probably not free to work as long daily as most so it makes sense to start now. And again i'll admit i did long days coming up to the deadline (9- 9)

from mid jan we set ourselves deadlines for a part of each section every day, it was bigger then this years brief as well. set yourself a deadline every two weeks. such as over the next two weeks i'll do my obesrvational sheet on eggs in a different circumstance ect. As well as that, don't use the first sheet as the final one, use many sheets as practice and include them in sketch books. first week would be experiementing and second week finalising ideas and media used and completing the sheet. I think this is more then enough time if you can spare a hour a day and think about what you'll do when you have a few free moments.

from other mature students who had kids they worked in the evening after the kids went to bed or let them visit friends at weekends and worked a extra hour if they got the chance.

if you're in level 6 then you have a certain amount of more choice and freedom then level 5 in what to do with your time. I would make it clear you want to do the ncad when you get in and based on your circumstances you need to start it now in drips and drabs so you'll have it done in time. you can ask for a review at the end of each week to 1. check how its working out and 2. make sure you're actually doing it.

Don't panic yet by any means.

sligo. wrote: »
    and next year obviously i will have NO time for the brief because i have the LC and all, so were in the same boat...i'm sure there is others too??!!:confused:

sadly those submitting are not all in the same boat, that's why there's a group a (leaving certs) and group b (mature students, those who did a plc ect) and thats why we compete with those in the same group as us. LCs are younger and have the leaving cert to deal with whereas plcs have a whole year or more to focus on improving their standard. as the college is determined to have a even mix of both the groupings are needed.

therefore mature students with kids are treated no different then a 19 year old in a plc with all the time in the world as the portfolio viewings are private and they have idea idea of the circumstances of the applicant beyond group a and group b. But again I don't think ella you have anything to worry about, you're starting before many of those in plcs and with a timetable and setting yourself deadlines you'll get it done.

Thanks spinandscribble.;)
    Have a question about the brief, you may be able to help.
    After the mind maps are done and it says to ''choose two items'' from the mind maps, do these items have to be obviously 'enclosures' 'my place' 'instruments' or 'vehicles'?
    By this I mean when drawing a mind map one gets branches and things lead to other branches...:confused:

As in say one of my instruments is
    A Kettle>>>Water>>>Ocean>>>Boat>>>etc,etc

Could one of my items be in this case the boat? Or does it have to be 'Kettle'.
    I could kick myself tomorow and realise I've asked an obvious question but its late and am trying to snatch a bit of time to work on this, think I'll pack it in though and come back to it tomorow :)(yawn!!)

• Advertisement

well when they say pick two, i assume by this you mean the part where you're suppose to combien two objects from the mind maps? or is it the observational sheets? I saw they cut down on the amount you're suppose to do in that section. Either way when they say pick two they mean two of the final four you selected, one from each 'enclosures' 'my place' 'instruments' or 'vehicles', (you'll have say enclosures - cage, my place- bed, instruments- light blub, vehicle- egg. These are just quick examples of what i thought came to mind.) you might pick egg and bed or any combo of the four. thats what it means.

Also the mind maps can include thoughts, sentences, anything, it doesn't have to be tangible or one word strings of ideas.

I would recommend something tangible as the final object selected from each mind map. unless you will have access to one boat until you're finished the brief i would stay clear. however, tbh i'd stay clear of extremely large structures in the first place. they won't be easy to work with and whatever way you look at it it'll be hard to get the level of detail, observation and research down with such a structure.

what objects you pick are important. its a chance to demonstrate your drawing and painting skills. for that reason I woul recommend you pick a mix of man made and organic pieces. try and make them obscure items as i will explain in a moment.
    I would stay CLEAR from from picking the obvious answers from the mind sheet to ultimately work from example vehicles ---> bike, car. Imagine how many will pick these same objects? Try to pick obscure items that STILL link in with the mind map. don't let your heart get in the way. just because you like something doesn't make it a good object to work with, pick things that will result in a challenge so that you'll never get bored (Or less likely to get bored).

Its a good idea to think about how your objects will link together later in the sections before you finalise which to pick.

the longer the mind map the better, put all the obvious answers down of course but keep it going for the year. Some say the mind maps don't count, just put up a few words on bubbles with cut outs, I have only my own experience to go on but I treated each mind map as a representation of the word it was to represent example: my habitat was a 3d habitat, a habitat within a habitat of ideas (one of last years words).

I don't think they're the most important section but the more you can show your thoughts on the subjects and the deeper you can go the better.

jesus sorry for the essay, I'm not the best at explaining myself by writing and I then to go off on a tangent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Just some food for thought - the last Photography Forum challenge had the title Transportation - was really interesting to see the interpretation of that.. might give you ideas for your vehicle ;)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055933275

thanks spin n scribble n corkgirl. Really helpful advise :)

sadly those submitting are not all in the same boat, that's why there's a group a (leaving certs) and group b (mature students, those who did a plc ect) and thats why we compete with those in the same group as us. LCs are younger and have the leaving cert to deal with whereas plcs have a whole year or more to focus on improving their standard. as the college is determined to have a even mix of both the groupings are needed.

could you tell me then......how many places are there for LC's and then for mature students?? so really i wont be "competing" as such with mature students because they have a certain number of allocated places in college, ncad for e.g.? thanks:)

The College reserves 50% of places for current year school-leavers who are sitting the Leaving Certificate or equivalent for the first time. Applicants are notified of the results of their portfolio assessment in March.

link here
    http://www.ncad.ie/admissions/entrycore.shtml

so regardless 50% of places are taken by those who have just taken the Leaving Cert.
    Thats why the lowest score that get into the course is different between group a and b. I'll have a quick look to see if i can find the difference between the two last year. *edit* yeah there was a difference in the min required of each group but only roughly 100 off eachother.

Im surprised by this as I did not encounter this with colleges i researched in the uk but there you have it.

• Advertisement

there you have it indeed:eek: once you say it now i remember looking at that before....ages ago though! thanks, your very helpful:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

link here
    http://www.ncad.ie/admissions/entrycore.shtml

so regardless 50% of places are taken by those who have just taken the Leaving Cert.
    Thats why the lowest score that get into the course is different between group a and b. I'll have a quick look to see if i can find the difference between the two last year. *edit* yeah there was a difference in the min required of each group but only roughly 100 off eachother.

Im surprised by this as I did not encounter this with colleges i researched in the uk but there you have it.

NCAD is the only college to have a 50/50 split on places. The rest as far as I know don't.

BTW for the Mind Maps don't write anything, like what they have done in the little guide book. Think about it, you're appling for a visual arts course, use pictures/drawings/photos etc These don't have to be finished drawings just doodles/sketches for lack of better words. Use very little text. This came from the night course teacher in NCAD that we had.

Chorcai wrote: »
    BTW for the Mind Maps don't write anything, like what they have done in the little guide book. Think about it, you're appling for a visual arts course, use pictures/drawings/photos etc These don't have to be finished drawings just doodles/sketches for lack of better words. Use very little text. This came from the night course teacher in NCAD that we had.

your kiddin' me? :O i hate these kind of things! why state one thing when you should be doing the other like? it's the same with leaving cert art...no marks are given for the preparatory work for the craft exam/poster but marks are given for development of ideas...so if there isn't a difference between the prep and the finished piece you lose marks....ironic!:confused:

NCAD is the only college to have a 50/50 split on places. The rest as far as I know don't.

I dunno, mine had alot of writing, two maps had images and text, one was 3d made of text, and the final was pure writing. I dont think theres a rule saying u cant and not everyone thinks in pictures, you should play ur strengths. I have only my own experience to go on though.
    Many colleges in the uk actively encourage writing in sketchbooks ect, its important to be able to communicate ur thoughts visually and vocally.
    Clearly you got your information from a good source but im surprised they would say something like that, its a bit black and white.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 2,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chorcai

I dunno, mine had alot of writing, two maps had images and text, one was 3d made of text, and the final was pure writing. I dont think theres a rule saying u cant and not everyone thinks in pictures, you should play ur strengths. I have only my own experience to go on though.
    Many colleges in the uk actively encourage writing in sketchbooks ect, its important to be able to communicate ur thoughts visually and vocally.
    Clearly you got your information from a good source but im surprised they would say something like that, its a bit black and white.

I guess his point was, and to be fair he was quite right in saying so, that they get all these portfoilos, now imagine that everyone of them had 4 pages of text for each mind map. For the people marking it, can you see them reading each page of a mind map, of each portfoilo ?

So in that sence having images rather than text is easy on the eye, plus it shows that you put a bit more effort into each mind map, rather than a wall of text. Also you add/colour/effects/cutouts/place tracing paper over/photocopy-enlarge the images etc. As in I took a photo of a chunk of metal and with chalk just wrote food on it, did a little pop-up thing for memories. I hope I am explaining myself right ! I'm not dismissing the use of text, rather how it is used should be thought about.

As you pointed out you added a style/play on the text, I did this also to play up to the graphic depts ! According to him 2/3 memebers from each department looks at each portfoilo, so it's a good idea to try and appeal to the differant depts in the college.

Writing in sketchbooks open season ! "oh woe is the flowers !!" :D;):p

good point on the too much to read point, i just remember a tutor saying, they'll glance and see how far you thought and that's a good, better then say five images well rendered since you've a whole portfolio and sketchbook to show drawing/painting ect skills and this section is just to show how your ideas can branch out and you think in different directions.
    probably best to have some thought behind presentation but i guess i did that without thinking too much. snap on the pop up thing, did one of those mind maps too.

:p oh woe is the flowers? jebus noone said anything about bad poetry :P

one was 3d made of text.

i'm interested!?! so how did this work?....did you take pictures of it and put it onto your written mind map (i assume) because you can't have 3D things in your p.folio? cool idea:)

it was a mind map for habitat. the idea was i wanted a habitat for my habitat ideas. I took photos and included a written mind map (which was longer).

l0af0396048bc45588ade63.jpg

it was a mind map for habitat. the idea was i wanted a habitat for my habitat ideas. I took photos and included a written mind map (which was longer).

now i get ya...and it's a savage idea!!:D i love it!

OKAY....i'm seriously going to start the brief this week!!!:p so when do i use these visual notebooks or for what part of the brief...or for all of it? how many did you guys have with your p.folios?? what do you put in them? quick sketchy ideas? visual notebooks are the same as sketchpads yes?:confused: i need to really get going on this!!!:eek::o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

I used mine as the core to my portfolio really. I just explored and developed ideas and textures and what not. I didn't really know what to do with the worksheets so I just did them in the last few weeks and kinda summarised my ideas on them and developed them even further.
    The visual notebooks are what you should focus on most.

But I wrote all of mine, there wasn't a picture in sight! I painted the background though but just in block colours..

Emmpty wrote: »
    But I wrote all of mine, there wasn't a picture in sight! I painted the background though but just in block colours..

everyone does it their own way i suppose:) thanks btw!:D must start my visual notebooks then:p

Hi am just wondering does anyone know if your results on your portfolio course count towards your acceptance in 3rd Level, (hoping to apply to NCAD, currently working on their brief!).
    I've just got my result ,Level 5, I got 8 out of 9 Distinctions Merit for Photography. I'm back in Sept to do Level 6.
    Will any of this help me, or is acceptance just based on the Brief? :confused:

Thanks Everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 narnia51697

Acceptance is based on two separate things (1) the portfolio (2) certain leaving certificate requirements or FETAC as an alternative. See here http://www.ncad.ie/admissions/entrycore.shtml

But I imagine if you're doing well in your portfolio course then you should have no problem with the ncad portfolio assessment :)

How are you finding the brief? I'm hoping to start doing some portfolio prep tuition - there was no brief when I did it and just wondering how people are finding that?

Hi I've been scribbling in my sketchbook for weeks now, started an A1 size page of a mind map last night, Enclosures.

What I'm finding is difficulty making a 'mind map' look professional, or at least of excellent quality. But then I suppose it is just a mind map.

I've started it in coloured pencil but was thinking of maybe doing collage for another etc.

I'm wondering though are the mind map pictures expected to be that good or are we going to be marked on the rest of the work more so than the mind maps?
    I'm a mature student and my imagination is not as 'contemporary' as say someone younger. Thats what I've found anyway doing the PLC course, while the 20 age+ bracket are doing 'pop art' etc, I'm still stuck on portraiture...:rolleyes:
    Can someone clarify for me that section B below means I can go back and choose two totally different items than I used for section A. Thanks

a) Choose two items from your mind-maps and get a physical example of them. Place each of these two items into an environment or context where you would not normally expect to find it.

Make observational studies of the items in these new contexts.

Required: 1 sheet of studies for each of the two objects.
    Total: 2 Sheets

b) Return to the mind-maps from exercise one. Take apart or carefully dismantle any two of the items.

Ok.! I think I'm almost done my first mind map, enclosures.
    I've done it entirely of drawings in coloured pencil.No text. Should I do them all like this or would they prefer to see different media, or does it matter for the minds maps as I'll be displaying different media in all the other work in the brief?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Emmpty

Hi I've been scribbling in my sketchbook for weeks now, started an A1 size page of a mind map last night, Enclosures.

What I'm finding is difficulty making a 'mind map' look professional, or at least of excellent quality. But then I suppose it is just a mind map.

I've started it in coloured pencil but was thinking of maybe doing collage for another etc.

I'm wondering though are the mind map pictures expected to be that good or are we going to be marked on the rest of the work more so than the mind maps?
    I'm a mature student and my imagination is not as 'contemporary' as say someone younger. Thats what I've found anyway doing the PLC course, while the 20 age+ bracket are doing 'pop art' etc, I'm still stuck on portraiture...:rolleyes:
    Can someone clarify for me that section B below means I can go back and choose two totally different items than I used for section A. Thanks

a) Choose two items from your mind-maps and get a physical example of them. Place each of these two items into an environment or context where you would not normally expect to find it.

Make observational studies of the items in these new contexts.

Required: 1 sheet of studies for each of the two objects.
    Total: 2 Sheets

b) Return to the mind-maps from exercise one. Take apart or carefully dismantle any two of the items.

I'd say focus more on loosening up your ideas and expanding your imagination over nice drawings cause its your ideas they really want.

And use different objects it makes it all more interesting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I have no idea what the formal requirement are these days in NCAD. But when I was there, (Ind Design) most people wrote all over their sketch books. They wanted to see the journey in your head. You might even show movement arrows to see how something flowed. Reading some of the comments here against text. Perhaps some lecturers/examiners in the other departments don't like this, wanting it all through drawing.

hey! i'm nearly finished my 1st mind map too:)...enclosures! i hav put in drawings of my own, stuck down small objects that related to the irems i came up with e.g. spring from a pen! and i wrote underneath everything what they are...also some of my items dont have any drawings to go with them. but i think whatever about having it all in writing or all in images......if it catches the examiners eye!!!:D and i think it's alright to do it your own way too, as long as it looks good! what to put in the background of these mindmaps though?? my 1st one i just let it the white of the page and mind you the drawings look nice on it but a background of some sort might be nice for the others....but what is just right and not over the top?!:o

• Advertisement

Know what you're saying Sligo. I think I'll just leave my first one alone with the white background for now :confused:
    We can always go back to them again. I'm thinking of my tutor in the portfolio course, lol! he hates things to be left with a white background, but then I've argued with him that that's his preference, doesn't make it right. Maybe thats the trick,? to relax with this whole brief, sure aren't we always told there's no right way or wrong way in the creative process!! :D

Advertisement